HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brodeur Possibly Testing The Market?

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
KohoDonuts88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3026 View Post
Whoa baby, are folks taking this hard. Seems like we do have a lot of Marty fans and not necessarily Devils fans. Better get the Prozac ready tomorrow if this whole thing goes south.

As for me, No matter what happens, I'll remain a die hard Devils fan. Call me Mr. Status Quo.
Marty is a special case. This team is nothing without him. Probably still playing in East Rutherford, and maybe somewhere else entirely. Lou would not still be here, we probably are still waiting for our first Cup. There is no legacy of success without Martin Brodeur. Marty is the one, and only one, player who IS as big as the team. He is owed unquestioned loyalty. And on the other side of the coin, he owes the fans who have, sometimes literally, worshiped him for 20 years, his loyalty by staying. There is NO excuse for Martin Brodeur to ever wear another NHL jersey.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:48 PM
Larsson
4th Line Boys

Brodeur has the most games played of any goaltender not just in NHL history, but of guys whose career was spent with a single franchise.

The guy in 2nd has no chance at the Hall of Fame, to give you an idea of how remarkable it is.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
Hucksterbeek? lol love it. How long did Niedermayer wait again?
Haha did I coin that phrase? Thought someone else did.

Niedermayer waited about 3 to 5 days. It was one or the other. A lot of people were unhappy cause aside from Rafalski who we would have not taken back had we signed him was the only good D man UFA available. He waited for days to get word from the Devils, and decided to wait it out, and stay. A lot of big name D men like Gonchar, Foote, and Hatcher were all on the market, and all quickly grabbed up before Niedermayer decided to bolt.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:51 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

It's that Marty IS the Devils. It's not a matter of Marty fans vs. Devils fans. They're the same thing. And always have been.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Agreed, it's silly for him to play elsewhere, but if he's looking for some crazy contract that jeopardizes signing other key players, then oh well. At this point in his career I dont believe he is still "bigger than team". I don't want to give him a gold watch career achievement contract. A fair contract for what he is right now, a good 40 year old goaltender, is what he should want and what he should get.

That said, the only confirmed info we have here is he hired an agent, a guy he's worked with in the past. This thread has gone off a cliff based on very little information.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsson View Post
To be fair, a lot of people are Devils fans just because of Brodeur. He's basically the definition of "franchise goalie." Part of his great legacy is being with the same franchise since his draft day.

Many, many great netminders can't say that.
Yes, but while he`s the reason why some started, he should not be the ONLY reason they continue. That`s the point.

We all know he`s special but that`s like saying "well, I started because I liked their unis, but now that they changed them, I give up".

Old
06-30-2012, 08:56 PM
Larsson
4th Line Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Yes, but while he`s the reason why some started, he should not be the ONLY reason they continue. That`s the point.

We all know he`s special but that`s like saying "well, I started because I liked their unis, but now that they changed them, I give up".
Absolutely. I'm just saying, there's going to be some emotional turmoil involved just because of who he is, and what's he meant to this franchise.

There's no other position quite like the goalie. The franchise netminder is admired and chastised like no other.

Some people may leave, but the bulk will stay onboard if the unthinkable happens.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:57 PM
guyincognito

Someone please bump a thread from maybe a third or halfway through the season. Please.

Alot of duplicity going on here.

It's a business. If he finds someone that is going to give him a whacko contract, it is what it is. He's gone from retiring, in all likelyhood, before the playoffs started, to going UFA.

This is one of those uncomfortable situations, they could give in, or maybe they won't.
If they part ways it'll likely end far worse for him than it will the Devils, and I say this as a huge fan of his.

Should have walked away.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

I'm still a little uneasy we haven't signed Hedberg. I find it hard to believe we can't offer him a $1.2 million contract for one year right now. If we don't hopefully they know he isn't coming back, and have other options in mind. Hope we don't have to sign some trash like Brent Johnson. The current crop of UFA goalies sucks. Could it be worse than Kinkaid, or Frazee backing up though?

The fact that Lou has not come out to talk, nor has Marty or anybody on this is whats making me a little uneasy. I figured Lou might come out of the woodwork, and say ''This is being overblown guys'' or maybe Marty himself would have spoken.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:03 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Maybe Marty is on a fishing trip up on Whitefish Lake in Quebec and just hired an agent because he didn't feel like dealing with contract BS himself this time.

And what it Marty had just retired? Would all these fans still be talking about jumping ship? I mean he's no gonna play forever. The post-Marty era is comig, one way or another.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Nick30 View Post
We don't know any of the details/reasoning behind this. Or if it's even going to happen yet.
Lots of people jumping to the worst conclusions immediately. You should see the main board thread, it's much worse about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
It's that Marty IS the Devils. It's not a matter of Marty fans vs. Devils fans. They're the same thing. And always have been.
And always should be. I'll be very disappointed if he leaves in any way except retirement.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:06 PM
downtown56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3026 View Post
Maybe Marty is on a fishing trip up on Whitefish Lake in Quebec and just hired an agent because he didn't feel like dealing with contract BS himself this time.

And what it Marty had just retired? Would all these fans still be talking about jumping ship? I mean he's no gonna play forever. The post-Marty era is comig, one way or another.
We would feel a lot better if Brodeur retired. It's the point that he will still be playing and it might be with a different team. That would be harder to deal with than him retiring.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:10 PM
The 29th Pick
BetterThan LastYear

Lets look at the bright side........this is the first time a big name Devil free agent WONT be rumored or even approached by the rags

Old
06-30-2012, 09:12 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARGSY View Post
Lets look at the bright side........this is the first time a big name Devil free agent WONT be rumored or even approached by the rags
Bryce Salvador wouldn't shock me lol, they need back-pairing defensemen (Stu Bickel rofl).

Old
06-30-2012, 09:13 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
Are you drunk?
Yes.

Old
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post
We would feel a lot better if Brodeur retired. It's the point that he will still be playing and it might be with a different team. That would be harder to deal with than him retiring.
Yeah if he retired, just put his number in the rafters next year, hand Hedberg $3 million plus to be a stopgap next year and let one of the kids get a shot at the backup role, or maybe sign another backup type like Gustavsson.

Going to another team is a whole new kettle of fish though.

Old
guyincognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post
That's his decision. The uncomfortable part would be is if it goes as well as Barry Melrose did in Tampa. I really think he's testing fate by playing another year. I'm okay with him getting a gold watch and just eating it if it goes horribly wrong, but there are other priorities first.

Closed Thread