Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
2013-14 Trade Talk IV Fixing the Defense ‎

Other thread is at 1,000 posts.

Old
01-25-2014, 10:17 AM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 500
I think I'd rather keep Garbutt and try to re-sign him. I've got no problem with him on the fourth line he can limit his time in the box.

Old
01-25-2014, 10:34 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStars99 View Post
I think I'd rather keep Garbutt and try to re-sign him. I've got no problem with him on the fourth line he can limit his time in the box.
I don't mind the guy but if a team comes calling and offers even a decent prospect I'd be all over it.

Old
01-25-2014, 10:41 AM
usefulfiction

Any interest in Letang? TJ made an interesting case that got my wheels turning.

Old
01-25-2014, 10:49 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usefulfiction View Post
Any interest in Letang?
Absolutely. Just two problems:

1.That contract. He's making 7.25 per until 2022. May not be so bad with the cap going up and IF he can be the elite Kris Letang we've seen prior to this season.

Which brings us to 2.

2.I think something is wrong with the guy health-wise. He's had on-again off-again issues. Some times these things clear themselves up, some times they don't and the player never really gets back to form. So will he live up to that contract? I could be wrong, just my suspicion.

He's got elite talent obviously so I'd certainly be interested, just a couple things to consider.

Old
01-25-2014, 10:55 AM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Absolutely. Just two problems:

1.That contract. He's making 7.25 per until 2022. May not be so bad with the cap going up and IF he can be the elite Kris Letang we've seen prior to this season.

Which brings us to 2.

2.I think something is wrong with the guy health-wise. He's had on-again off-again issues. Some times these things clear themselves up, some times they don't and the player never really gets back to form. So will he live up to that contract? I could be wrong, just my suspicion.

He's got elite talent obviously so I'd certainly be interested, just a couple things to consider.
Yeah I just noticed the guy has only played a full season one time in his career.

Old
01-25-2014, 11:07 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Yeah I just noticed the guy has only played a full season one time in his career.
And while 50 points is good, I wouldn't say it's worth 7.25 mill. He has elite talent, it just needs to translate in to production. That means staying healthy and producing. He's produced at an elite clip the last couple seasons - but he only managed 67 regular season games total. Add on his 18 points in 32 games so far this season and it just makes me leery.

He was handed that contract while putting up elite numbers in a shortened season. Serious questions as to whether he can fulfill that. Likely go one way or another though. He's only 26 so he could regain form and it becomes a Zubov-esque deal for us. Or he fails to get completely healthy and that contract becomes a giant immovable albatross for the next 8 years.

Old
01-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Zrhutch

Id rather overpay for maatta, personally. That guy looks like he could be better than tanger.

Old
01-25-2014, 11:52 AM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
Id rather overpay for maatta, personally. That guy looks like he could be better than tanger.
Definitely some pluses going after him instead. I think he's a gem.

Old
01-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Klockis
Our Savior

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
Well we could have drafted him. I think it is no chance that Pittsburgh is going to give him up unless we're ready to part with Nichushkin.

Old
01-25-2014, 12:20 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klockis View Post
Well we could have drafted him. I think it is no chance that Pittsburgh is going to give him up unless we're ready to part with Nichushkin.
Yeah I think they realize the same pluses with having him instead that we do.

Old
01-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Brand New Stars

No to Letang because of the two factors already pointed out.

Old
01-25-2014, 03:26 PM
aloonda
fear the rooster

would they even move him anyhow?

Old
01-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloonda View Post
would they even move him anyhow?
No, they're probably stuck with him anyway.

Old
01-25-2014, 03:44 PM
SolidusAKA

Im really bad with trade proposals, would...

Chiasson
Dillon
1st

snag

Mattaa
Despres?

Are we overpaying? Are we underpaying? Is giving up first too much of a gamble?

Old
01-25-2014, 03:54 PM
BigG44

It's not bad if you're just starting a value discussion.

But ... if you're talking real world it's a pretty pointless discussion. All of Pittsburgh's money is tied up in big names. They're paying Crosby, Malkin, and Letang all at a premium. I forgot Letang's exact hit but it's over $7 million, Crosby is at $8.7 or so, and Malkin's goes up to $9.5 next season. Then you have pretty significant hits for Neal, Kunitz, Martin, and MAF.

They need guys playing on ELCs at a high level to build a complete team. Maata is arguably playing as well as some of the vets. In their situation it makes little sense to trade him. It makes even less sense that you're replacing him with a guy that's contract is up in Dillon. Their team might marginally be better by replacing Despres with Chiasson, but I think most honest fans are going to say Dillon is a down grade. I love him in Dallas, and we need him .... but you can't really argue all that well that he's the best player in the deal. A 1st round pick means pretty much nothing to the Pens. Sure they need to keep the prospect farm stocked, but they care about winning now.

Best case scenario this is a lateral move for them. No reason to make the trade from a Pens POV.

Old
01-25-2014, 04:48 PM
SolidusAKA

You have really awesome insights haha thanks man

Old
01-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
It's not bad if you're just starting a value discussion.

But ... if you're talking real world it's a pretty pointless discussion. All of Pittsburgh's money is tied up in big names. They're paying Crosby, Malkin, and Letang all at a premium. I forgot Letang's exact hit but it's over $7 million, Crosby is at $8.7 or so, and Malkin's goes up to $9.5 next season. Then you have pretty significant hits for Neal, Kunitz, Martin, and MAF.

They need guys playing on ELCs at a high level to build a complete team. Maata is arguably playing as well as some of the vets. In their situation it makes little sense to trade him. It makes even less sense that you're replacing him with a guy that's contract is up in Dillon. Their team might marginally be better by replacing Despres with Chiasson, but I think most honest fans are going to say Dillon is a down grade. I love him in Dallas, and we need him .... but you can't really argue all that well that he's the best player in the deal. A 1st round pick means pretty much nothing to the Pens. Sure they need to keep the prospect farm stocked, but they care about winning now.

Best case scenario this is a lateral move for them. No reason to make the trade from a Pens POV.
All of these reasons are why you might be able to get Letang for something like Daley + Chiasson + 1st-3rd(ish)

Old
01-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
All of these reasons are why you might be able to get a Letang for Daley + Chiasson + 1st-3rd(ish)
Only if they think they're going to lose all three of their UFA D.

I don't see a deal for Letang anywhere right now for Pittsburgh.

Old
01-25-2014, 06:07 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Only if they think they're going to lose all three of their UFA D.

I don't see a deal for Letang anywhere right now for Pittsburgh.
If we were interested in enough and willing to take on that contract, I think we could pull something off. I also think Edmonton could pull it off if they really wanted to.

Old
01-25-2014, 06:12 PM
usefulfiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
All of these reasons are why you might be able to get Letang for something like Daley + Chiasson + 1st-3rd(ish)
Trading Letang allows them to open a spot for Despres, so they may not want Daley.

However, as mentioned earlier, Letang is basically an 8yr/$7.25 per gamble. The one thing you can count on is the guy missing time with injuries. Eventually those injuries will take their toll, think last 2 season of Zubov.

Old
01-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Quote:
Trading Letang allows them to open a spot for Despres, so they may not want Daley.

However, as mentioned earlier, Letang is basically an 8yr/$7.25 per gamble. The one thing you can count on is the guy missing time with injuries. Eventually those injuries will take their toll, think last 2 season of Zubov.
They may want to replace Niskanen, Orpik and Engelland, though.

Old
01-25-2014, 06:47 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Hi, hope you don't mind a Pen's fan perspective.

WRT Letang, the idea that the Pens want to move him is just speculation by fans (mostly here at HF) and by one member of the media. Shero thinks he's worth the contract he was given - and so do I despite his struggles this season - and since the cap is going up and considering what they've got on D in the pipeline they can afford to pay him comfortably. I think the only way he moves is in a one-for-one (or close to it) swap for a high end winger. Regardless, they definitely wouldn't want a defenseman coming back. The only reason to trade Letang would be because they feel comfortable with the D they have moving forward and Letang could score a big return. They're not actively shopping him and may not even have any interest in moving him at all so they can be patient. I think nearly every team would be interested if they let it be known he was available, though, injuries notwithstanding.

As far as Despres, I am going to hate to see him traded but at this point he's the most likely. He's just stuck in the logjam and while I think he gets a top six spot if he is still with the Pens next season he's a good trade piece now. I could see something around Chaisson being acceptable for both teams. I can also see trading Despres coming back to haunt the Pens, but something has to give with all the D they have.

As far as Maatta goes, he's the reason Joe Morrow was and Despres is expendable. The organization is in love with that kid and so are the fans. If Shero would be willing to move him at all it would have to be equally painful for both sides to give up their player. I truly don't see him going to the Stars for less than Nichushkin. No quantity for quality. So understandably, neither side may like it.

Hope the game is good tonight. I may get shouted out of here for this but I've always been a fan of Goligoski, hate seeing him struggle.

Old
01-25-2014, 06:48 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

I'll take Orpik.

Old
01-25-2014, 07:03 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Hi, hope you don't mind a Pen's fan perspective.

WRT Letang, the idea that the Pens want to move him is just speculation by fans (mostly here at HF) and by one member of the media. Shero thinks he's worth the contract he was given - and so do I despite his struggles this season - and since the cap is going up and considering what they've got on D in the pipeline they can afford to pay him comfortably. I think the only way he moves is in a one-for-one (or close to it) swap for a high end winger. Regardless, they definitely wouldn't want a defenseman coming back. The only reason to trade Letang would be because they feel comfortable with the D they have moving forward and Letang could score a big return. They're not actively shopping him and may not even have any interest in moving him at all so they can be patient. I think nearly every team would be interested if they let it be known he was available, though, injuries notwithstanding.
Come on Ray, cut the b.s., hand him over.

Last edited by tjcurrie: 01-25-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Closed Thread