HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 CBA Discussion Thread *NHL/NHLPA Please do Something!!*

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
With Wang qualifying for revenue sharing, will Wang allow Snow to make a major trade/ufa signing?

Old
10-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Probably not, Wang might just continue to keep costs low and maximize profit.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:10 AM
SDIsles34

woke up this morning and watched sports center like I do every morning. 5:30am ET to 6:00am. at the end of the broadcast Steve Levy says " ... and congratulations NHL and NHLPA. We have a deal"

I obviously got extremely excited only to find No evidence of this being true..

WTF ? is this just espn being lazy and bad NHL reporting ??

Old
10-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI View Post
Probably not, Wang might just continue to keep costs low and maximize profit.
Isn't this what the Pittsburgh Pirates do? Keep the revenue sharing while spending crapola on the team?

Also, are the two sides actually negotiating? All I'm reading about is, "Here's our proposal."
"Thanks but no."

Are they doing the dreaded, "Lets sit down and talk and try to work this thing out?"

Old
10-22-2012, 08:14 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
With Wang qualifying for revenue sharing, will Wang allow Snow to make a major trade/ufa signing?
Part of the owners proposal, would stop teams from using bonuses from ELC and bonuses from players over 35, to reach the cap floor.

I can't think of one other team besides the NYI, that flagrantly uses this cap floor trick.

You don't think that when Wang made his push for revenue sharing, the league told him to use the money to improve his on ice product?

Without bonuses, Wang's payroll is $41m. The proposed cap floor is $43m.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:32 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Part of the owners proposal, would stop teams from using bonuses from ELC and bonuses from players over 35, to reach the cap floor.

I can't think of one other team besides the NYI, that flagrantly uses this cap floor trick.

You don't think that when Wang made his push for revenue sharing, the league told him to use the money to improve his on ice product?

Absent a clause requiring revenue sharing funds to be directly applied to actual player salary (not cap hit), then nope. Wang will take the money and run. If the NHL doesn't close loop on this entirely, then I can see the Isles looking to possible avenues to minimize spending.

Old
10-22-2012, 09:34 AM
blitzkriegs

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;55184191]

[QUOTE]

Sort of trick, but doesn't one recognize the Isles have NOT benefitted from doing this? So far, it's been detrimental to the teams success and overall player development, which keeps the Isles in the bottom five year after year.

Old
10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
CREW99AW

[QUOTE=blitzkriegs;55185189][QUOTE=CREW99AW;55184191]

Quote:

Sort of trick, but doesn't one recognize the Isles have NOT benefitted from doing this? So far, it's been detrimental to the teams success and overall player development, which keeps the Isles in the bottom five year after year.
I've thought for the last several seasons, that Wang was trying to minimize his losses, hanging on until 2015.

In 2009 we saw Souzzi change the arena sub-lease to help the team, forcing SMG to share some of the arena revenue with Wang. Forbes and the National Post reported, that Wang's lost $4m, $5.6m and $8.1m in the last 3 seasons. Now he'll be able to get a $10m-$15m revenue sharing check.

I'd like to think that Wang/Snow took notice of NJ's 2011-2012 playoff run:$26m in playoff ticket revenue.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1760--nhl.html

Old
10-22-2012, 10:52 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDIsles34 View Post
woke up this morning and watched sports center like I do every morning. 5:30am ET to 6:00am. at the end of the broadcast Steve Levy says " ... and congratulations NHL and NHLPA. We have a deal"

I obviously got extremely excited only to find No evidence of this being true..

WTF ? is this just espn being lazy and bad NHL reporting ??

You caught the tail end of that comment. They were talking about "What to watch for" and Steve Levy says, hopefully next Sunday, we'll be saying, "Good job NHL and NHPA for coming to an agreement, we have a deal", something to that effect.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Isn't this what the Pittsburgh Pirates do? Keep the revenue sharing while spending crapola on the team?
I wouldn't know, don't follow baseball much but that's what I think Wang would do.
Quote:

Pretty sure you're talking to me.

I like that the league is finding ways to stop teams from going over the cap and keeping Wang from going under. However, then he still might spend the smallest he can, rake in the revenue sharing and keeps the revenue he is already getting. Not sure what the numbers will be but if he can get 10 million a year in revenue sharing, he might just be getting a profit. I think reports were that he lost $8 million last year? I think it was from Forbes. He'd be getting a cool 2 million profit, for the first time maybe ever. I don't think he'd re-invest it.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
SDIsles34

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
You caught the tail end of that comment. They were talking about "What to watch for" and Steve Levy says, hopefully next Sunday, we'll be saying, "Good job NHL and NHPA for coming to an agreement, we have a deal", something to that effect.
Thanks for clarifying. That's definitely what happened.

What a ****** way to start the week. Got so excited for about 30 seconds following by extreme disappointment. well, guess things aren't much different without islanders hockey.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Moosie

Quote:
Are you sure he qualifies? I thought the Bill Wirtz Rule excluded him.

Last edited by Moosie: 10-25-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old
10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
OlTimeHockey

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;55186183][QUOTE=blitzkriegs;55185189]
Quote:

I've thought for the last several seasons, that Wang was trying to minimize his losses, hanging on until 2015.

In 2009 we saw Souzzi change the arena sub-lease to help the team, forcing SMG to share some of the arena revenue with Wang. Forbes and the National Post reported, that Wang's lost $4m, $5.6m and $8.1m in the last 3 seasons. Now he'll be able to get a $10m-$15m revenue sharing check.

I'd like to think that Wang/Snow took notice of NJ's 2011-2012 playoff run:$26m in playoff ticket revenue.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...1760--nhl.html
$26M means work. If Wang was concerned with making that $26M, he would have hired real coaches and a GM by now.

Or he's truly deluded and a moron.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:33 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

Couple of things

1) Not sure exactly how this applies to the NHL (Can't find anything) but I know for Baseball teams don't get to keep 100% of their playoff revenue

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...icket-revenue/

2) Again we would have to see how Revenue Sharing is treated specifically in the CBA but in Baseball there are strict policies as to what the money can be spent on:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/72...y-historic-one

If the NHL used the same outline for its revenue sharing the Isles most likely would not be eligible

Old
10-22-2012, 05:01 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
Are you sure he qualifies? I thought the Bill Wirtz Rule excluded hism.
Bettman's latest cba proposal calls for 20 teams to receive revenue sharing, including the NYI.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2012...evenue-sharing
NHL CBA proposal includes New York Islanders in revenue sharing, limits business performance hurdles

By Dominik on Oct 17, 10:51a
All Clubs in the NHL except the top 10 Revenue Grossing Clubs will now be eligible for Revenue Sharing, including Clubs in large media markets who were previously ineligible (such as Anaheim, New Jersey and the New York Islanders, among others).

Further, our proposal eliminates some of the current "business performance" thresholds that had the effect of materially reducing the amounts a Club might otherwise qualify to receive in revenue sharing. Instead, under-performing Clubs will be expected to enhance their business planning capabilities, will be provided on-site assistance to meet enhanced business objectives and will be provided with much greater counseling as to "best practices" in business operations

Old
10-22-2012, 05:06 PM
CREW99AW

[QUOTE=OlTimeHockey;55192697][QUOTE=CREW99AW;55186183]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
$26M means work. If Wang was concerned with making that $26M, he would have hired real coaches and a GM by now.

Or he's truly deluded and a moron.
I'd like to think that Wang is looking at that revenue check, as a way to improve the team's playoff chances. Make a major addition.

A playoff run would not only bring in revenue, but also should give next season's tix sales a boost.

Old
10-22-2012, 05:38 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

[QUOTE=CREW99AW;55196253][QUOTE=OlTimeHockey;55192697]
Quote:

I'd like to think that Wang is looking at that revenue check, as a way to improve the team's playoff chances. Make a major addition.

A playoff run would not only bring in revenue, but also should give next season's tix sales a boost.
That reason existed before yet he still let the team rot.

Old
10-23-2012, 02:50 AM
OlTimeHockey

He had the means to make more revenue by growth in 2002 and decimated the team when (I believe) he had Milbury try and make the Isles look more like Toronto. Then like Buffalo, Tampa......he meddled and meddled and regardless of what his goal was, the team just was made more inept after Milbury's one great season (great, yes....that was a very good squad with balance and a SOLID defense).

So if he gets a revenue check....wanna bet he goes after more Moulsons and Hamonics? Or would he wager a Streit repetition? Does he just go after the next last season flavor and go after a Parenteau sequel? Or will he just go after the next Weight/Guerin type? I have no faith he's gonna try to address a key need. (as in a tough first line winger with scoring ability)

Just look at what he has done with money. The must spend money, the addressing a need money and the desperate need for talent money. History is a valuable indicator of future likelihoods.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:48 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

well, i posted last week that i played with marty reasoner. This week i got to the rink a but later and played some open puck in the second session. On the rink before my group was Marty Reasoner, Eric "Dont call me Michael" Boulton and Matt Carkner. Carkner is tall, but he doesnt look nearly as big in person. There was some other dude there in an NHLPA jersey and he had wheels for days, but i had no idea who he was. Maybe just a local who was going all out to impress the pro's.

Just figured id share. This lockout sucks so hard

Old
10-23-2012, 10:56 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
well, i posted last week that i played with marty reasoner. This week i got to the rink a but later and played some open puck in the second session. On the rink before my group was Marty Reasoner, Eric "Dont call me Michael" Boulton and Matt Carkner. Carkner is tall, but he doesnt look nearly as big in person. There was some other dude there in an NHLPA jersey and he had wheels for days, but i had no idea who he was. Maybe just a local who was going all out to impress the pro's.

Dude, if you are going to skate with NHLers, you need to ask questions, you can get us some inside info.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post

During the last lockout we played with DP at sport time.

Old
10-23-2012, 01:27 PM
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn

The Gremlin's views on the lockout

http://mgrabs40.wordpress.com/

Old
10-23-2012, 01:41 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesArchieFan View Post
The Gremlin's views on the lockout

http://mgrabs40.wordpress.com/
Poor Grabs, never mastered the art of math. Can someone please tell him, that it's very simple. PA's 50/50 + FULL CONTRACTS=57/53 for the players, or to make it more simple for poor little Grabs, PA's 50/50 = 50/50 + 650 million for the players. Owner's 50/50=50/50. Pretty simple.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Moosie

Well, Grabs, my boss might cut my salary or even can me with impunity, since I don't have a contract.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Poor Grabs, never mastered the art of math. Can someone please tell him, that it's very simple. PA's 50/50 + FULL CONTRACTS=57/53 for the players, or to make it more simple for poor little Grabs, PA's 50/50 = 50/50 + 650 million for the players. Owner's 50/50=50/50. Pretty simple.
There is no reason for the player to have to give up $ on a contract that has been signed. Will the player get the right to walk away from said contract if $ is cut from it. I for one think that would only be fair. This way if the owners want to cut there pay rate from a contract already signed they can choose if they want to become a FA and sign elsewhere.

Closed Thread