Western Europe Great Britain, France, Switzerland, Austria, Netherlands, Spain

Will Joe Thornton be punished?

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2005, 03:47 AM
Streaker-man

vCash: 500
Thornton hits Sulander

I heard that Joe hit a cheap shot on Ari Sulander a few days ago. They said in the local papaer that Thronton hit Ari´s neck with a fist and Sulander fell down and his mask flew almost to the blueline. Joe to the shower and a slashing penalty for Ari.

Any idea if Thornton will be penalized even more?

Old
01-10-2005, 04:27 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

He'll get at least one game as it is his second game misconduct of the season, but he will likely get one or two more games. It has not been decided yet

Old
01-10-2005, 04:33 AM
Firedriller

Send a message via ICQ to Firedriller Send a message via MSN to Firedriller Send a message via Skype™ to Firedriller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaker-man
I heard that Joe hit a cheap shot on Ari Sulander a few days ago. They said in the local papaer that Thronton hit Ari´s neck with a fist and Sulander fell down and his mask flew almost to the blueline. Joe to the shower and a slashing penalty for Ari.

He's suspended for at least one game which will be against Lugano. If he will be suspended for more games ist not sure at the moment.

You can see the foul in around the last third of this video:
http://real.xobix.ch/ramgen/sfdrs/vo...nd=0:32:09.750 (Real Player needed)

Old
01-10-2005, 06:07 AM
Streaker-man

Uuuuh, what a nasty blow. Thx for the link. I really apprecciated it!

Old
01-10-2005, 06:56 AM
Ste'

Quote:
Take also into consideration that 3 minutes remaining at the end of the third period and Davos was leading 3-0....
No injury for Ari who played also yesterday night:
ZSC LIONS -SCL TIGERS 5-3 (1-1 2-1 2-1)
12'Park 0-1,
14'Paterlini (Seger, Virta) 1-1,
22'Meier (Shiriaev, Monnet) 1-2,
32'Petrovicky (C.Micheli, M.Streit)2-2,
40'Robitaille (M.Streit, Alston) 3-2,
42'Petrovicky (Robitaille) 4-2,
55'Petrovicky (Robitaille, M.Stre.)5-2,
60'Shiriaev 5-3.
Pen.: 9x2', 1x10' (ZSC) Pen.: 8x2', 1x10' (SCL)

Last edited by Ste': 01-10-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old
01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
danista

Send a message via MSN to danista
Quote:
European Hockey makes it possible!

Old
01-12-2005, 12:47 PM
THE NEXT ONE #87

Quote:

He will at least get a 3 game suspension according to hockeyfans.ch. The hit just showed what kind of player thornton really is. i hope we will soon get rid of him.

Old
01-17-2005, 07:24 AM
thrashers28

Will Joe Thornton be punished?

This is for the Swiss NLA "experts" here -- what is the status of Joe Thornton following his gutless sucker-punch of ZSC Goalie Ari Sulander? I would have thought he would have been suspended for several games, if not completely banned from the league. However, I notice he is still playing for Davos.

Will he be punished by the league, if so, what are some of the possible outcomes? I hate to see a thug like Thornton get by with such behavior, he should be grateful to Davos for giving him the opportunity to play in the first place!

Last edited by thrashers28: 01-17-2005 at 12:59 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old
01-17-2005, 09:55 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I was kind of wondering myself. I thought he recieved a three game suspension?

Old
01-17-2005, 02:00 PM
stv11
Global Moderator

The league is currently investigating the incident. He'll get at least an automatic one game suspension as it is his second game misconduct of the season, and will probably get some more games, but for now he's can play while the investigation is under way

Old
01-17-2005, 04:17 PM
zecke26

merged both thornton threads under the last title. there's really no need for two thornton threads on a european board, just because he hit someone.

Old
01-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Strizzi

He got suspended for 4 games.

Old
01-24-2005, 09:28 AM
thrashers28

I was under the impression that the European Leagues did not tolerate fighting or any type of unruly behavior, obviously I was wrong!

I looked up the rate-exchange and 2'000 CHF is equal to about $1,670 US Dollars -- in his last season with the Boston Bruins, Thornton earned just under $6 Million US dollars; so the Swiss fine is pocket change to him!

Old
01-24-2005, 02:09 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashers28
This is for the Swiss NLA "experts" here -- what is the status of Joe Thornton following his gutless sucker-punch of ZSC Goalie Ari Sulander? I would have thought he would have been suspended for several games, if not completely banned from the league. However, I notice he is still playing for Davos.

Will he be punished by the league, if so, what are some of the possible outcomes? I hate to see a thug like Thornton get by with such behavior, he should be grateful to Davos for giving him the opportunity to play in the first place!
A thug eh, why's that because he tougher and could beat the crap out of every player in this pansy league. The punch wasn't even that bad. Stuff like that happens in North America a lot. Maybe the gutless goalie should've kept his stick to himself. If all the poor, little Swiss players can't handle Joe then stay the hell out of his way.

Old
01-24-2005, 02:41 PM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's
A thug eh, why's that because he tougher and could beat the crap out of every player in this pansy league. The punch wasn't even that bad. Stuff like that happens in North America a lot. Maybe the gutless goalie should've kept his stick to himself. If all the poor, little Swiss players can't handle Joe then stay the hell out of his way.
I take it then that you approve that kind of retaliation. Ever consider the potential results of that kind of sucker punching? The fact that the goalie was not injured this time does not mean much. It is the deed itself that needs to be punished. Dumb players like Thornton need to be made examples of what happens when you do stupid **** like that. I say the suspension was very much deserved, only too short in duration. Also, the act was an extremely cowardly thing to do, very gutless and unmanly indeed.

Old
01-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Bacchus

Quote:
Just wondering if you'd say the same thing if not for a B's player...

Old
01-24-2005, 06:33 PM
thrashers28

Quote:
Why should they stay the hell out of his way, this is THEIR league! Joe is a GUEST in the Swiss NLA and should abide by their rules.

And DaaaaaaB's, just because this behavior is tolerated in North America doesn't make it right.

As for the "gutless goalie", Ari Sulander was penalized for slashing and it's my understanding he was on his way to the penalty box when Joe decided to fist him in the neck from behind -- IMO that was a gutless move -- granted, as a woman, my tolerance for violence may be lower than many men who follow hockey

I asked the question here not to start an argument about Joe's character or whether fighting should be allowed in Euro hockey, but to find out what his status is/was; I apologize if I offended anyone by calling Joe a "thug"; that's just my opinion of him.

One more thing I'd like to say -- I just started following hockey a couple years ago and I have found the guys here on the Western European forum to be quite helpful in answering my questions as I try to follow locked out NHLers in the Swiss league. STV11 provides detailed league and player updates in English every week and Franz has generously offered to translate info for us from German to English. Thanks guys!

Old
01-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Pavel

Quote:
Did you even see the play? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard here.

Old
01-25-2005, 09:26 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel
Did you even see the play? This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard here.
Yeah, I've seen it and it's not as bad as everyone here tries to make it sound.

Closed Thread