HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Justin Schultz Part III: Lebron Schultz: The Decision - Part Deux

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 500
Did we guarantee Gilroy a spot or tell him it was his to lose? I remember him being impressive in training camp that year anyway.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
If you were in Schultz's shoe your agent would tell you to speak with the Devils, even if you had no intention of signing.

Let's say the Rangers did to you what Vancouver did to Schults and said "we will not guarantee playing time". Now by having a meeting with the Devil's your agent is going to go back to the Rangers and say, " NJ has offered us a guaranteed spot, you are still in the running but we need to know if you can deliver this as well?"

The threat of losing a player like Schults to your rival could be enough to force Vancouver into meeting your demands. While in reality you were going to accept their low ball offer either way, but they don’t know that!

The Fear of Loss is a very strong sales technique
I agree on all of this, but Shultz could use any number of other teams as leverage, after all, he can go anywhere. Could Edmonton be there solely so that Shultz's agent can use the prospect of him going there as leverage? Sure, but it's also very possible that he is taking their offer seriously. If Shultz is actually taking the Oiler offer under consideration, it tells us that the hometown angle is a little overplayed here, and raises the odds that he goes somewhere other than Vancouver.

Edit: we should also remember that there isn't really much to negotiate here. Yes, Shultz can try to use the threat of Edmonton to strong arm the Canucks into garunteeing him a roster spot, but that is the only concession he can really get. Materially, the contract that he sings with any of these teams will be identical to the one that he might have signed elsewhere. There is no economic incentive to use Edmonton as leverage.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Blueshirt Believer

They will take the same approach to Shultz as they did Erixon. Give him games, if he looks developed enough to play, he will play. If not, he is going down to AHL for conditioning. Then bring him back to see how far he has progressed.

I would say that his 185lb frame is not good enough for the NHL. Unless the kid can skate like the wind(His mobility will have to make up for his lack of size). From what I have read, that doesn't seem to be the case. He is a very good skater, but not really elite in that regard.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 06-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old
06-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Edge

I have some concerns that the fans of any team that lands Schultz will have unrealistic expectations for him.

The kid is only 21 and he's playing a position that has a longer development curve, even if he is ready to step right into the NHL. Additionally, we need to be realistic about what kind of player Schultz is, and what kind of player he is going to be. He is not the second coming of Brian Leetch. However, he is a very capable young defenseman who moves the puck well and could potentially be an exclamation point for a team that has a solid defensive foundation.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I have some concerns that the fans of any team that lands Schultz will have unrealistic expectations for him.

The kid is only 21 and he's playing a position that has a longer development curve, even if he is ready to step right into the NHL. Additionally, we need to be realistic about what kind of player Schultz is, and what kind of player he is going to be. He is not the second coming of Brian Leetch. However, he is a very capable young defenseman who moves the puck well and could potentially be an exclamation point for a team that has a solid defensive foundation.
He is in the mold of Brian Rafalski. He could very well turn out to be that type of player(consistent 40-50 pt guy and PPQB).

As far as Leetch, that is absolutely insane. Kid isn't even same mold for the comparison.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:37 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I really think this process is ridiculous. I have a feeling this kid has a big ego.

You're not special, go play where you were drafted.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:40 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I agree on all of this, but Shultz could use any number of other teams as leverage, after all, he can go anywhere. Could Edmonton be there solely so that Shultz's agent can use the prospect of him going there as leverage? Sure, but it's also very possible that he is taking their offer seriously. If Shultz is actually taking the Oiler offer under consideration, it tells us that the hometown angle is a little overplayed here, and raises the odds that he goes somewhere other than Vancouver.

Edit: we should also remember that there isn't really much to negotiate here. Yes, Shultz can try to use the threat of Edmonton to strong arm the Canucks into garunteeing him a roster spot, but that is the only concession he can really get. Materially, the contract that he sings with any of these teams will be identical to the one that he might have signed elsewhere. There is no economic incentive to use Edmonton as leverage.

Very true and to clarify Schultz could very well be interested in Edmonton's offer I don't know I'm not in his inner circle. But I was just giving an explanation of why his agent would include edmonton in the discussion even if Schults was a Canucks super fan.

Doen't matter how little there is to negotiate, his agent's job is to get him the best deal possible from the team he wants to play for. If it is Vancouver best thing is to use Edmonton as bait, if it was the Rangers use the Devil's or Islanders as bait. No team wants to see a player they targeted go to their rival and make their rival a contender. That's how GM's lose jobs and agents know this

Old
06-29-2012, 03:42 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Very true and to clarify Schultz could very well be interested in Edmonton's offer I don't know I'm not in his inner circle. But I was just giving an explanation of why his agent would include edmonton in the discussion even if Schults was a Canucks super fan.

Doen't matter how little there is to negotiate, his agent's job is to get him the best deal possible from the team he wants to play for. Best was to do that if it was Vancouver is to use Edmonton as bait, if it was the Rangers use the Devil's or Islanders as bait. No team wants to see a player they targeted go to their rival and make their rival a contender. That's how GM's lose jobs and agents know this
fair points all around.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I really think this process is ridiculous. I have a feeling this kid has a big ego.

Don't worry. If we sign him, Torts will rip that ego out of him.

06-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:

Agreed. 99% of guys who get drafted in any sport don't do this. The only ones I can think of are Eli Manning, John Elway, and our very own Timmy Erixon.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:52 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Agreed. 99% of guys who get drafted in any sport don't do this. The only ones I can think of are Eli Manning, John Elway, and our very own Timmy Erixon.
Yeah, exactly. It just rubs me the wrong way when players do this. Even then, Eli made it aware he didn't want to play for San Diego and got them a very good return (not as good as Eli, though. ) and even Erixon accepted a trade. Schultz gave Anaheim nothing and is now acting like the king, as a SECOND ROUND PICK!

I just don't like it.

Old
06-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Don't forget about Eric Lindros. He got traded to two teams at the same time. Blasphemy! What a huge ego, thinking he's good enough to play on two teams

Old
06-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

In my mind I'm kind of expecting a Del Zotto-like first year...some struggles on defense from time to time, decent amount of points but being more dangerous with his shot than Del Zotto is, some protected minutes...

He has a spot to lose on the Rangers but Tortorella will definitely take it from him quickly if he's struggling and needs to be sheltered.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I think it's time we stop blasting the kid. How many of us have ever been in the position that we have 28 job offers, all for the same exact money in 28 different parts of North America. I think it's only sensible to try and learn more about where I was going to spend the next 6 years of my life. And with sports being such a competitive buisness, I'd like to know more about the environment I would be working in.

I think the Rangers have probably done everything they can. I'll sleep well knowing that if he goes somewhere else, we gave it our best shot.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:09 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Re @TSNBobMcKenzie tweet last night that ‪#mnwild‬ is on Justin Schultz's short list, I am told the Wild will meet face to face with Schultz
https://twitter.com/Russostrib/statu...97632963887104

Minnesota is near Manitoba.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:10 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Don't worry. If we sign him, Torts will rip that ego out of him.
Exactly... Torts will humble that kid in a few days.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Why not take a meeting with the Sabres? They're near Canada.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Cmox

I enjoy this thread title. So because of this last year in college he's coveted? I don't know much about the guy. He was also a late pick. I wonder if he'll live up to the hype.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I think it's time we stop blasting the kid. How many of us have ever been in the position that we have 28 job offers, all for the same exact money in 28 different parts of North America. I think it's only sensible to try and learn more about where I was going to spend the next 6 years of my life. And with sports being such a competitive buisness, I'd like to know more about the environment I would be working in.

I think the Rangers have probably done everything they can. I'll sleep well knowing that if he goes somewhere else, we gave it our best shot.
I'm not complaining about the process, i'm complaining about the kid not playing for the team he was drafted to play for, as a second round pick, and then making a whole big deal about where he would play for so the team couldn't trade him.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Vitto79

If I was this kid I may as well meet Messier, Richards, Sather, Burke, Lowe, MacTavish,etc who want to have a meeting. It would be pretty cool

in the end yea he needs to work his but off to make a team. Richards had this hoopla last yr and the Rangers didnt even show up, lol..........of course they didnt need too

Old
06-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Even if he chooses the Rangers, I have to admit this entire process is pretty much laughable. I am enjoying the Joffrey memes and such. I really hope whatever team wins they duct tape this kid to the net after his first practice. I think it's a bit too much like the royal wedding.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:27 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I hope everyone giving Schultz crap (which he deserves) did the same thing with Erixon, who handled his situation in Calgary in an immature and laughable fashion.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I hope everyone giving Schultz crap (which he deserves) did the same thing with Erixon, who handled his situation in Calgary in an immature and laughable fashion.
I am talking the road show part, it's a little too much for me. I could care less about the player using the free agent loophole.

Edit: Plus Erixon at least allowed a trade so Calgary can save face, not too mention he would have simply went back into the draft and couldn't pick and choose after the deadline.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
If he signs in Edmonton, Calgary fans definitely will.

Old
06-29-2012, 04:35 PM
darko

Quote:

I'm with you there. What Erixon did to Calgary was wrong and what Schultz is doing to Anaheim is wrong as well. Gomplay for the team that drafted you and bolt once you legitimetely become a free agent.

I feel for Ducks fans in all of this. They are being taken for a ride.

Closed Thread