HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Off Season Thread (pt2)

Old
06-30-2012, 05:01 AM
flapanthersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
If we can't get any of the top guys from FA I don't see the point in handing out overpayments to other free agents to get them here. Unless we offer them too much money on just a one year contract. I can see the value in filling the spots whilst waiting for the prospects to develop but don't won't to see the young guys path being blocked my average players.
that's exactly what we did last year though, and it worked out. got other teams scraps and turned them into gold.

i could see us going for someone like a Mueller as a reclamation project and Parenteau as our "big" signing like Fleishmann was last year.

Quote:
I'd quite like us to trade for someone like Jimmy Hayes from the Blackhawks. I don't think he would be too expensive and fits a lot of what we are looking for: a young, big bodied right winger. He got 9 points in 31 games (including 5 goals) playing 10 minutes a night last season.
random - and honestly just pointless. he's not proven enough to help now, and not good enough for the future. he'll get passed by our better prospects like huberdeau, howeden, etc. quickly.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:49 AM
ShootIt

Mueller was looking like a very good player. However, his injuries really throw a red flag on him. We already have a glass right winger in Upshall, would hate to get another one in Mueller. Granted, if it's a one year, show me contract, sure, but, I would be hesistant to give a guy like him a multi-year deal due to the concussions

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
that's exactly what we did last year though, and it worked out. got other teams scraps and turned them into gold.

i could see us going for someone like a Mueller as a reclamation project and Parenteau as our "big" signing like Fleishmann was last year.
Exactly that is what we did last year, we are in a different position now and our prospects are one year closer to being ready. We already have Flash, Upshall, Weiss, Kopecky, Bergenheim, Goc, Matthias, Skille and Smithson signed for next year. Then we are almost certainly going to have Huberdeau as well. Versteeg is an RFA who will also come back next year and then there is a chance that Barch is also re-signed as an enforcer. That is already 12 forwards. We don't want to be signing many more players to 3 or 4 year contracts which is what a lot of free agents are looking for.

What I meant was if possible it could be better for us to sign a free agent to an overpriced but shorter contract than to the same contracts that we handed out last year. Of course depending on what trades we make the whole situation can change.

Panthers are Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Meandmyself

Do you guys know if Dale Tallon as the intention to make a good contract offer to Parise?

I think that he would be the perfect fit with your team.

Meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
My opinion is this.

The guys running the show now aren't dumb. We keep talking about offensive upgrades, but perhaps our main offensive upgrade is already on the team. It's possible that Tallon and company expect more out of Huberdeau than perhaps we expect. Remember, Huberdeau didn't make the team last year due to lack of size, but he was putting up points in the preseason.

It wouldn't be the first time a talented rookie did really well. Maybe Huberdeau is the man next year. + we'll add guys, just not the top guys. If Huberdeau plays well and we add some upgrades, it will be a better offense. I'm guessing that's what they're expecting at this point.
We have to account for the potential loss of Garrison and his 16 goals though. Huberdeau has a good chance to reach that, but I wouldn't count on a player straight out of juniors to come in and automatically produce. Even if Huberdeau replaces Garrison's offense, that only maintains the status quo and doesn't improve the offense.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

I think what Santos means is we won't be going after the top forwards like Parise, Semin, Doan, Jagr, maybe even Hudler and Parenteau. Which is not a big surprise. If we are only going to spend 60M(which is still a 5m increase from last season) there's no way we could afford to add Parise or Semin etc. I don't think most people expected us to sign any of the marquee forwards. If we upgrade our goaltending, find an "adequate" replacement for Garrison, and add a 2nd line forward, I like our chances for a playoff spot again.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
We have to account for the potential loss of Garrison and his 16 goals though. Huberdeau has a good chance to reach that, but I wouldn't count on a player straight out of juniors to come in and automatically produce. Even if Huberdeau replaces Garrison's offense, that only maintains the status quo and doesn't improve the offense.
Well, Huby is a better playmaker than scorer anyway so he'll set other up for more goals. And whoever we replace Garrison with I assume will score at least a few goals. Also, if Kulikov stays healthy and Gud keeps progressing we should have more offense from the backend.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmyself View Post
Do you guys know if Dale Tallon as the intention to make a good contract offer to Parise?

I think that he would be the perfect fit with your team.
If you're really asking whether we KNOW what Tallon's intentions are, I doubt any of us do. All signs point to a "no" though. He's too expensive even if he was interested. Seems we're taking another route this year.

But I agree he would be a great addition.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I think what Santos means is we won't be going after the top forwards like Parise, Semin, Doan, Jagr, maybe even Hudler and Parenteau. Which is not a big surprise. If we are only going to spend 60M(which is still a 5m increase from last season) there's no way we could afford to add Parise or Semin etc. I don't think most people expected us to sign any of the marquee forwards. If we upgrade our goaltending, find an "adequate" replacement for Garrison, and add a 2nd line forward, I like our chances for a playoff spot again.
I think Hudler and Parenteau are 2nd line forwards. And I wouldn't necessarily call them marquee forwards. Those two should be the type of players we should be targeting. If not one of them, who else do you expect that could legitimately play in our top six? (Aside from brad boyes).

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Well, Huby is a better playmaker than scorer anyway so he'll set other up for more goals. And whoever we replace Garrison with I assume will score at least a few goals. Also, if Kulikov stays healthy and Gud keeps progressing we should have more offense from the backend.
We've made a habit out of relying on "ifs" and improvements from our own players to carry us in the past. It hasn't really worked. Relying on ifs is a recipe for failure and we all know it. I am not advocating and hoping for parise/suter/semin. But I don't think there is any valid reason why we shouldn't be able to snag a legitimate 2nd line player like Parenteau/Hudler. Obviously depends on the market, but yeah.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I think Hudler and Parenteau are 2nd line forwards. And I wouldn't necessarily call them marquee forwards. Those two should be the type of players we should be targeting. If not one of them, who else do you expect that could legitimately play in our top six? (Aside from brad boyes).
Think they should be possible. If Wideman is widespread though, who knows?

Old
06-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
No, I agree, Hudler and Parenteau are 2nd line forwars, but it probably just depends, if they want 4+M then I can see us walking away. Those are two of the next tier of forwards after the top guys. I don't really want Boyes at all unless it's an after-the-fact addition and he's on a 1M or less contract. I can't see why Tallon would have much interest there. There are a few options out there:

Jokinen
Wellwood
Penner
Whitney
Kostitsyn(although doesn't seem like someone Tallon would want)
Mueller
Latendresse
Fehr
Samuelsson
Arnott
Ponikarovsky

Old
06-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
We've made a habit out of relying on "ifs" and improvements from our own players to carry us in the past. It hasn't really worked. Relying on ifs is a recipe for failure and we all know it. I am not advocating and hoping for parise/suter/semin. But I don't think there is any valid reason why we shouldn't be able to snag a legitimate 2nd line player like Parenteau/Hudler. Obviously depends on the market, but yeah.
I was just saying, it's not like it would be impossible to replace Garrison's 16 goals. Huberdeau's point total should realistically match or exceed Garrison's, and then I doubt whoever we replace Garrison with is going to score 0 goals.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
No, I agree, Hudler and Parenteau are 2nd line forwars, but it probably just depends, if they want 4+M then I can see us walking away. Those are two of the next tier of forwards after the top guys. I don't really want Boyes at all unless it's an after-the-fact addition and he's on a 1M or less contract. I can't see why Tallon would have much interest there. There are a few options out there:

Jokinen
Wellwood
Penner
Whitney
Kostitsyn(although doesn't seem like someone Tallon would want)
Samuelsson
Arnott
Ponikarovsky
Man, this FA class is just terrible lol. Out of that list wouldn't mind Penner or Jokinen. Iffy on Whitney just simply because he is so old now who knows when his game finally completely falls off. Wellwood would prefer not, same on Arnott, same on Kostitsyn and Poni.

Problem with Wellwood/Kostitsyn/Poni/Samuelsson is that they are all extremely streaky forwards who I think wouldn't really improve our team going forward. If anything one of those additions has us tread water if anything.

Here's hoping Dale can work some magic tomorrow, maybe in terms of a trade, as I don't like our chances of purely signing a decent top sixer.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Man, this FA class is just terrible lol. Out of that list wouldn't mind Penner or Jokinen. Iffy on Whitney just simply because he is so old now who knows when his game finally completely falls off. Wellwood would prefer not, same on Arnott, same on Kostitsyn and Poni.

Problem with Wellwood/Kostitsyn/Poni/Samuelsson is that they are all extremely streaky forwards who I think wouldn't really improve our team going forward. If anything one of those additions has us tread water if anything.

Here's hoping Dale can work some magic tomorrow, maybe in terms of a trade, as I don't like our chances of purely signing a decent top sixer.
I also edited and added Latendresse, Mueller, and Fehr. Fehr is probably a last resort, he was injured for most of last season. Latendresse too but Wild fans say when he's been healthy he's been a great scorer. I would take Whitney in a heartbeat, he may fall of but I'd take the chance and he couldn't be worse than most of the guys on that list.

I would prefer to sign Sammy in addition to another one of those guys. But from what Tallon and Santos have been saying it seems to indicate they think Howden has a really good chance of making the team.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:18 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Dropped the contract paper and slipped on it?
Probably shatter his thumb when he clicked the pen after signing. I can't wait until our roster is set this anticipation and waiting is gonna give me an ulcer.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:21 PM
PanthersAllDay1225
MORDE-KULI

Quote:
I also edited and added Latendresse, Mueller, and Fehr. Fehr is probably a last resort, he was injured for most of last season. Latendresse too but Wild fans say when he's been healthy he's been a great scorer. I would take Whitney in a heartbeat, he may fall of but I'd take the chance and he couldn't be worse than most of the guys on that list.

I would prefer to sign Sammy in addition to another one of those guys. But from what Tallon and Santos have been saying it seems to indicate they think Howden has a really good chance of making the team.
I would love to have Latendresse on this team.

PanthersAllDay1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Bob McKenzie‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Colby Armstrong is being bought out by TOR. Will be on unconditional waivers at 12 noon ET.

Any interest in Armstrong on a cheap one year deal to see if he can be healthy?

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post

Colby Armstrong is being bought out by TOR. Will be on unconditional waivers at 12 noon ET.

Only if we move a couple forwards out in the Luongo trade, otherwise I think we can do better.

Old
06-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post

No more bottom guys (with the exception of a tough guy). If we don't pony up for a true scoring forward, we're just going to continue talking about our lack of scoring.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:20 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Wow. Schultz to EDM, something doesn't surprise me...I support them not. If they miss the playoffs (again) for a high pick, I mean TANK, I say they should lose their team to Quebec and all those #1 picks go to free agency.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Per Twitter:

Sammy probably gone 2morrow. Maybe to the Red Wings.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Parros is a UFA. Could replace Barch

Any old Tallon guys as UFA's?

I can see Tallon going after Doan

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Parros is a UFA. Could replace Barch

Any old Tallon guys as UFA's?

I can see Tallon going after Doan
Wouldn't mind Stash and I think Tallon makes a move for a tough guy. Barch would be cheaper though.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:29 AM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Wouldn't mind Stash and I think Tallon makes a move for a tough guy. Barch would be cheaper though.

-ghoste
The guy looks ridiculous and isn't that good of a fighter either. No need for him.