HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price Thread 2.0 (All Re-Sign discussion here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2012, 03:03 PM
  #1
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Carey Price Thread 2.0 (All Re-Sign discussion here)

continue here

overlords is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
  #2
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
First person to start **** in this thread gets thread banned outright. The last one turned into a joke. Keep it civil.

overlords is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:11 PM
  #3
Vi Nc E x13x
Registered User
 
Vi Nc E x13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
I just find it stupid how many people bash the best player on the team hands down .. and say its his fault we got eliminated by Boston when he put up 2.11gaa .934% which are amazing numbers ... Ban me if you want i just want to defend someone who carries the team

Vi Nc E x13x is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:15 PM
  #4
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
I hope Price lead us to a stanley cup... I don't think he can. I think he is a lot like Luongo in that matter.

I'm not for paying a goalie 6 million a year unless he proves he is a winner at the nhl level what I think Price didn't do yet.

I still hope I will be eating crow soon about that tho.

durojean is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
  #5
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
I hope Price lead us to a stanley cup... I don't think he can. I think he is a lot like Luongo in that matter.

I'm not for paying a goalie 6 million a year unless he proves he is a winner at the nhl level what I think Price didn't do yet.

I still hope I will be eating crow soon about that tho.
you mean a lot like Luongo who was in the Smythe conversation a year ago while helping the Nucks get to game 7 of the cup finals?


if so, I think we're in good hands.

Miller Time is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
  #6
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Stats aren't everything... You could have amazing stats in 3 games and bad stats in 2 and average stats in 2 and it could still be your fault if you lost the serie.

My problem with Price is really not his talent. It's is tendancy only be good when it doesn't count.

More often then not when it's tied in the third or his team is winning by only one goal he will let go a softie that changes the momentum of the game.

durojean is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
  #7
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
I hope Price lead us to a stanley cup... I don't think he can. I think he is a lot like Luongo in that matter.

I'm not for paying a goalie 6 million a year unless he proves he is a winner at the nhl level what I think Price didn't do yet.

I still hope I will be eating crow soon about that tho.
What did you expect when the defense infront of him was:

Hamrlik-Wisniewski
Gill-Subban
Mara-Sopel
Weber

I mean... really?

One of those guys is a bonafide NHL top-pairing guy (Subban) and one/two is a fringe Top-4 D-man (Wiz/Hamr) and the other guys are where today? Gill is only in the NHL for his mentoring abilities.

That is one pathetic defense-corps.

JGRB is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
  #8
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Stats aren't everything... You could have amazing stats in 3 games and bad stats in 2 and average stats in 2 and it could still be your fault if you lost the serie.

My problem with Price is really not his talent. It's is tendancy only be good when it doesn't count.

More often then not when it's tied in the third or his team is winning by only one goal he will let go a softie that changes the momentum of the game.
I hear you. He was so bad in game 7 against boston two years ago.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
  #9
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
you mean a lot like Luongo who was in the Smythe conversation a year ago while helping the Nucks get to game 7 of the cup finals?


if so, I think we're in good hands.
Yes... The Luongo that is being thrown out of Vancouver because they have doubts about him being a winner.

durojean is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:33 PM
  #10
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
I hope Price lead us to a stanley cup... I don't think he can. I think he is a lot like Luongo in that matter.

I'm not for paying a goalie 6 million a year unless he proves he is a winner at the nhl level what I think Price didn't do yet.

I still hope I will be eating crow soon about that tho.
To be fair. Carey has won in pressure situations before.

WJC Gold-MVP
Calder Cup-MVP

Now, he hasn't won a cup yet and may never do so, but a lot of great players don't have their name on the cup. If we don't win, it's not necessarily because of him. We'll see in the future but based on his past success and his current NHL standing, I have full confidence in his ability.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:37 PM
  #11
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
The wjc gold he was a little lucky because he only had to block one shootout shot out of 10. But he did won it.

Ahl is good but he really had no pressure. He was supposed to be there to take experience in. But he really was awesome in those series.

durojean is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:44 PM
  #12
Vi Nc E x13x
Registered User
 
Vi Nc E x13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
To be fair. Carey has won in pressure situations before.

WJC Gold-MVP
Calder Cup-MVP

Now, he hasn't won a cup yet and may never do so, but a lot of great players don't have their name on the cup. If we don't win, it's not necessarily because of him. We'll see in the future but based on his past success and his current NHL standing, I have full confidence in his ability.
Exactly

Vi Nc E x13x is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:46 PM
  #13
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
The wjc gold he was a little lucky because he only had to block one shootout shot out of 10. But he did won it.

Ahl is good but he really had no pressure. He was supposed to be there to take experience in. But he really was awesome in those series.
The WJC game you're referring to was actually the semi-finals vs USA and not the finals.

Carey had a .9609 save % and 1.14 GAA during the tournament. Far exceeding any other goalie.

Agreed on that particular shootout, Toews was the hero in that one.

As for the AHL, after winning CHL goaltender of the year, WJC Gold and being on WJC all star team and best player in his position carey went on to the AHL playoffs. Granted, we could argue expectations may be low because it was his first time in the AHL, but after his strong season the hype was enormous and I'd argue the opposite. I believe he was the youngest player ever to win the Jack A. Butterfield trophy(MVP).

Is Price perfect? Obviously not, but his track record suggests we should have faith in him. Maybe he'll get worse and worse from now on, who knows. Maybe Subban will suck and never be the same. Maybe Pacioretty won't hit 10 goals ever again. I mean, the list of possibilities goes on and on but at a certain point, if we forecast the future based on history, out of the big 3 in montreal, Price is the one I have the most confidence in.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 03:50 PM
  #14
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 18,113
vCash: 500
For me, Price's 2010-11 season was his big season where he asserted himself as an actual top starter.

If he had played as well in 11-12, I'd have no problem with a long term deal north of 6M. And when I say as well, I mean independently from the team's play in front of him. With all things being equal, Price wasn't as good as the year before.

The 2010-11 season = that kind of performance is worth 6M-6.5M
The 2011-12 season = that kind of performance is worth 4M-5M

You can say the 2011-12 season was a small bump in the road, but at this point in time I feel that we should have confirmation of that before signing a 7 year deal at second highest paid rate.

In the other thread I asked people to name me another player who had been signed for that long and that much after having accomplished as little as Price.

The best example was Dipietro... That didn't turn out too well for the Islanders.

I guess I don't understand the point of signing Price at such a high salary for THAT long. We could always sign a 3-4 year deal at that rate then it would make a lot more sense to me. But if we're going to go into the 7+ years territory, we should get some kind of discount based on the security provided by the length.

If Price signs for 6M-6.5M per for 7-8 years tomorrow I won't lose sleep over it. But it's not what I would do and I'm opposed to that. The habs would be taking on all the risks.

Des Louise is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 04:15 PM
  #15
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Re: Shootout vs. the States.

Watch the high-lights of overtime. Canada doesnt get to the shootout if not for Price's heroics on the PK in OT.

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
06-30-2012, 04:20 PM
  #16
Vi Nc E x13x
Registered User
 
Vi Nc E x13x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 500
All I can say is I dont wana see any of the people here who are demeaning price jump on his bandwagon when the team has success. I dont get some people here most teams would kill to have price as there goalie

Vi Nc E x13x is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 04:24 PM
  #17
BobbyFischer*
 
BobbyFischer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
All I can say is I dont wana see any of the people here who are demeaning price jump on his bandwagon when the team has success. I dont get some people here most teams would kill to have price as there goalie
Here's the truth.

We like J. Quick better, and we're jealous of his contract to boot.

BobbyFischer* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 04:28 PM
  #18
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Here's the truth.

We like J. Quick better, and we're jealous of his contract to boot.
Not that I don't like Quick, but I don't want Price to get a 10 year contract. 7 is even too much for me. 6 is enough.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 04:32 PM
  #19
durojean
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Don't worry I have my opinions and all but I can say it when I was wrong. I ll even say that I'd like to be.

durojean is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 04:51 PM
  #20
BobbyFischer*
 
BobbyFischer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Not that I don't like Quick, but I don't want Price to get a 10 year contract. 7 is even too much for me. 6 is enough.
Okay, but, you would rather have Quick over Price, right?

BobbyFischer* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 04:57 PM
  #21
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Okay, but, you would rather have Quick over Price, right?
Right now? Sure. I'd also like Stamkos over Plekanec. Actually, perhaps too far of a comparison. I actually feel Price on the kings would've probably had similar success. What a solid team. Quick is excellent and his success has left us saying Quick>Price but I don't think Price is far off and I'd be content with either.

LyricalLyricist is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 05:30 PM
  #22
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Stats aren't everything... You could have amazing stats in 3 games and bad stats in 2 and average stats in 2 and it could still be your fault if you lost the serie.

My problem with Price is really not his talent. It's is tendancy only be good when it doesn't count.


More often then not when it's tied in the third or his team is winning by only one goal he will let go a softie that changes the momentum of the game.
Can you back that comment up in any way, shape, or form?

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 05:31 PM
  #23
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Right now? Sure. I'd also like Stamkos over Plekanec. Actually, perhaps too far of a comparison. I actually feel Price on the kings would've probably had similar success. What a solid team. Quick is excellent and his success has left us saying Quick>Price but I don't think Price is far off and I'd be content with either.
I'd way rather have Price.

Quick is BRUTAL at playing the puck, despite waht the CBC media said numerous times during the playoffs.

Quick was great, but the team was amazing defensively and has been for a couple of years now.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 05:58 PM
  #24
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'd way rather have Price.

Quick is BRUTAL at playing the puck, despite waht the CBC media said numerous times during the playoffs.

Quick was great, but the team was amazing defensively and has been for a couple of years now.
Price has his costly puck mishandling moments too. Hey I like Pricey too. He's our franchise goalie and he's a damn good one, but he is not worth more than Quick nor is he a better goalie. I understand the whole taxes situation so bump it up to 6mil. But if he demands more then I don't think he wants to help build a contender.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
06-30-2012, 06:22 PM
  #25
Krautso
Registered User
 
Krautso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
It doesn't matter how much he signs for, it only matters how good he plays. A million dollars either way on a 70 million cap is not going to make or break MB's ability to ice a team. If he plays well, we don't care how much he makes because we're winning, if he plays poorly...it won't matter if its a deal or not, people will complain.

whether its 6 or 7 million makes no difference. we need him and he's got to perform no matter what he makes.

Krautso is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.