HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price Thread 2.0 (All Re-Sign discussion here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 03:03 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Carey Price Thread 2.0 (All Re-Sign discussion here)

continue here

Old
06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

First person to start **** in this thread gets thread banned outright. The last one turned into a joke. Keep it civil.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

I just find it stupid how many people bash the best player on the team hands down .. and say its his fault we got eliminated by Boston when he put up 2.11gaa .934% which are amazing numbers ... Ban me if you want i just want to defend someone who carries the team

Old
06-30-2012, 03:15 PM
durojean

I hope Price lead us to a stanley cup... I don't think he can. I think he is a lot like Luongo in that matter.

I'm not for paying a goalie 6 million a year unless he proves he is a winner at the nhl level what I think Price didn't do yet.

I still hope I will be eating crow soon about that tho.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
I hope Price lead us to a stanley cup... I don't think he can. I think he is a lot like Luongo in that matter.

I'm not for paying a goalie 6 million a year unless he proves he is a winner at the nhl level what I think Price didn't do yet.

you mean a lot like Luongo who was in the Smythe conversation a year ago while helping the Nucks get to game 7 of the cup finals?

if so, I think we're in good hands.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
durojean

Stats aren't everything... You could have amazing stats in 3 games and bad stats in 2 and average stats in 2 and it could still be your fault if you lost the serie.

My problem with Price is really not his talent. It's is tendancy only be good when it doesn't count.

More often then not when it's tied in the third or his team is winning by only one goal he will let go a softie that changes the momentum of the game.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

What did you expect when the defense infront of him was:

Hamrlik-Wisniewski
Gill-Subban
Mara-Sopel
Weber

I mean... really?

One of those guys is a bonafide NHL top-pairing guy (Subban) and one/two is a fringe Top-4 D-man (Wiz/Hamr) and the other guys are where today? Gill is only in the NHL for his mentoring abilities.

That is one pathetic defense-corps.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Stats aren't everything... You could have amazing stats in 3 games and bad stats in 2 and average stats in 2 and it could still be your fault if you lost the serie.

My problem with Price is really not his talent. It's is tendancy only be good when it doesn't count.

More often then not when it's tied in the third or his team is winning by only one goal he will let go a softie that changes the momentum of the game.
I hear you. He was so bad in game 7 against boston two years ago.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:26 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
you mean a lot like Luongo who was in the Smythe conversation a year ago while helping the Nucks get to game 7 of the cup finals?

if so, I think we're in good hands.
Yes... The Luongo that is being thrown out of Vancouver because they have doubts about him being a winner.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

To be fair. Carey has won in pressure situations before.

WJC Gold-MVP
Calder Cup-MVP

Now, he hasn't won a cup yet and may never do so, but a lot of great players don't have their name on the cup. If we don't win, it's not necessarily because of him. We'll see in the future but based on his past success and his current NHL standing, I have full confidence in his ability.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:37 PM
durojean

The wjc gold he was a little lucky because he only had to block one shootout shot out of 10. But he did won it.

Ahl is good but he really had no pressure. He was supposed to be there to take experience in. But he really was awesome in those series.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
To be fair. Carey has won in pressure situations before.

WJC Gold-MVP
Calder Cup-MVP

Now, he hasn't won a cup yet and may never do so, but a lot of great players don't have their name on the cup. If we don't win, it's not necessarily because of him. We'll see in the future but based on his past success and his current NHL standing, I have full confidence in his ability.
Exactly

Old
06-30-2012, 03:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
The wjc gold he was a little lucky because he only had to block one shootout shot out of 10. But he did won it.

Ahl is good but he really had no pressure. He was supposed to be there to take experience in. But he really was awesome in those series.
The WJC game you're referring to was actually the semi-finals vs USA and not the finals.

Carey had a .9609 save % and 1.14 GAA during the tournament. Far exceeding any other goalie.

Agreed on that particular shootout, Toews was the hero in that one.

As for the AHL, after winning CHL goaltender of the year, WJC Gold and being on WJC all star team and best player in his position carey went on to the AHL playoffs. Granted, we could argue expectations may be low because it was his first time in the AHL, but after his strong season the hype was enormous and I'd argue the opposite. I believe he was the youngest player ever to win the Jack A. Butterfield trophy(MVP).

Is Price perfect? Obviously not, but his track record suggests we should have faith in him. Maybe he'll get worse and worse from now on, who knows. Maybe Subban will suck and never be the same. Maybe Pacioretty won't hit 10 goals ever again. I mean, the list of possibilities goes on and on but at a certain point, if we forecast the future based on history, out of the big 3 in montreal, Price is the one I have the most confidence in.

Old
06-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

For me, Price's 2010-11 season was his big season where he asserted himself as an actual top starter.

If he had played as well in 11-12, I'd have no problem with a long term deal north of 6M. And when I say as well, I mean independently from the team's play in front of him. With all things being equal, Price wasn't as good as the year before.

The 2010-11 season = that kind of performance is worth 6M-6.5M
The 2011-12 season = that kind of performance is worth 4M-5M

You can say the 2011-12 season was a small bump in the road, but at this point in time I feel that we should have confirmation of that before signing a 7 year deal at second highest paid rate.

In the other thread I asked people to name me another player who had been signed for that long and that much after having accomplished as little as Price.

The best example was Dipietro... That didn't turn out too well for the Islanders.

I guess I don't understand the point of signing Price at such a high salary for THAT long. We could always sign a 3-4 year deal at that rate then it would make a lot more sense to me. But if we're going to go into the 7+ years territory, we should get some kind of discount based on the security provided by the length.

If Price signs for 6M-6.5M per for 7-8 years tomorrow I won't lose sleep over it. But it's not what I would do and I'm opposed to that. The habs would be taking on all the risks.

Old
06-30-2012, 04:15 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Re: Shootout vs. the States.

Watch the high-lights of overtime. Canada doesnt get to the shootout if not for Price's heroics on the PK in OT.

Old
06-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

All I can say is I dont wana see any of the people here who are demeaning price jump on his bandwagon when the team has success. I dont get some people here most teams would kill to have price as there goalie

Old
06-30-2012, 04:24 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
All I can say is I dont wana see any of the people here who are demeaning price jump on his bandwagon when the team has success. I dont get some people here most teams would kill to have price as there goalie
Here's the truth.

We like J. Quick better, and we're jealous of his contract to boot.

Old
06-30-2012, 04:28 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Here's the truth.

We like J. Quick better, and we're jealous of his contract to boot.
Not that I don't like Quick, but I don't want Price to get a 10 year contract. 7 is even too much for me. 6 is enough.

Old
06-30-2012, 04:32 PM
durojean

Don't worry I have my opinions and all but I can say it when I was wrong. I ll even say that I'd like to be.

Old
06-30-2012, 04:51 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Not that I don't like Quick, but I don't want Price to get a 10 year contract. 7 is even too much for me. 6 is enough.
Okay, but, you would rather have Quick over Price, right?

Old
06-30-2012, 04:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Okay, but, you would rather have Quick over Price, right?
Right now? Sure. I'd also like Stamkos over Plekanec. Actually, perhaps too far of a comparison. I actually feel Price on the kings would've probably had similar success. What a solid team. Quick is excellent and his success has left us saying Quick>Price but I don't think Price is far off and I'd be content with either.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:30 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:

Can you back that comment up in any way, shape, or form?

Old
06-30-2012, 05:31 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Right now? Sure. I'd also like Stamkos over Plekanec. Actually, perhaps too far of a comparison. I actually feel Price on the kings would've probably had similar success. What a solid team. Quick is excellent and his success has left us saying Quick>Price but I don't think Price is far off and I'd be content with either.
I'd way rather have Price.

Quick is BRUTAL at playing the puck, despite waht the CBC media said numerous times during the playoffs.

Quick was great, but the team was amazing defensively and has been for a couple of years now.

Old
06-30-2012, 05:58 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'd way rather have Price.

Quick is BRUTAL at playing the puck, despite waht the CBC media said numerous times during the playoffs.

Quick was great, but the team was amazing defensively and has been for a couple of years now.
Price has his costly puck mishandling moments too. Hey I like Pricey too. He's our franchise goalie and he's a damn good one, but he is not worth more than Quick nor is he a better goalie. I understand the whole taxes situation so bump it up to 6mil. But if he demands more then I don't think he wants to help build a contender.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Krautso

It doesn't matter how much he signs for, it only matters how good he plays. A million dollars either way on a 70 million cap is not going to make or break MB's ability to ice a team. If he plays well, we don't care how much he makes because we're winning, if he plays poorly...it won't matter if its a deal or not, people will complain.

whether its 6 or 7 million makes no difference. we need him and he's got to perform no matter what he makes.

Closed Thread