HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Travis Moen re-signed for 4 years, $1.85M per year (modified NTC)

Old
06-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Fact 1 - This team is 28th best in a league of 30 teams
Fact 2 - The roster needs big changes
Fact 3 - Recent moves show the GM leaning towards status quo

Do I really need to connect the dots for you on these 3 facts or are you good to go figure it out on your own.
Fact 1: Moen is not the reason the team finished 28th.
Fact 2: Roster needs big changes in the top 6 to have more than one scoring line.
Fact 3: Basing it off of Moen and Nokelainen? Staubitz, Campoli and Blunden are all not coming back due.

Moen is a key to the Habs bottom 6, whether the team finishes 28th or 1st.

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:21 PM
fredflag

vCash: 500
Moen is the perfect 3-4th line palyer.
He can skate, fiight and have decent hockey sense.
At 1.85 it's a good contract and he is the kind of guy you want around your kid to kick them in the ass when the time come. Farmer son know the importance of hard work.
Love it.

fredflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:22 PM
HomaridII

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Canadiens Travis Moen Modified No Trade Clause 2012-13 and 2013-14 only.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
comments from Moen:

“Testing the market can definitely be tempting and it’s something you only get to do a few times over the course of your career. But my family and I love it in Montreal. Our first goal was really to be able to stay here,”
Where are the comments from?

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:24 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Where are the comments from?
Canadiens' press release ..

You can also read them here:

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/habs-sign...medium=twitter

Old
06-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Comfortably Numb
Dream Theater

Whoa!! Only 1,85M?! That's pretty cheap! Good job by MB, I really wanted Moen to re-sign with us

Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Canadiens Travis Moen Modified No Trade Clause 2012-13 and 2013-14 only.
So you want to trade him already?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Fact 2: Roster needs big changes in the top 6 to have more than one scoring line.
Fact 3: Basing it off of Moen and Nokelainen? Staubitz, Campoli and Blunden are all not coming back due.

I agree with all your points, except number 2. The bottom 6 was at least as weak as the top six and an even bigger hole was a defense that included Markov, Kaberle, Campoli, Weber and Diaz.

Who was it that talked about how soft his d was?.... what was that famous rant?.... changes gotta be coming. Campoli ain't the only change coming on D, and the bottom 6 won't be status quo either. That's my bet anyway.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Absolutely thrilled to have Moen back on board. He puts the size on the ice without compromising defense. I love it.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Staubitz, Campoli and Blunden weren't expected to start 2012 season because they werent in the teams plans in 2011. They were emergency replacements and bad ones. A failure to sign these players is not out of a desire for change, it's out of a desire to go back to the way things were before they were required.

If you were reading this board and had no knowledge of the past you would think that nobody needs to leave the Habs roster but Scott Gomez.

My comments were not directed at Moen's capabilities, although I don't think a 4 year deal will look particularly good in about 2 years, but that management either feels big change is not possible right now (bad free agent pool, trade market cold) or not needed (which is bloody ridiculous) . Status quo will not produce better results next year so re-ups of players on the current roster is puzzling.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
I agree with all your points, except number 2. The bottom 6 was at least as weak as the top six and an even bigger hole was a defense that included Markov, Kaberle, Campoli, Weber and Diaz.

Who was it that talked about how soft his d was?.... what was that famous rant?.... changes gotta be coming. Campoli ain't the only change coming on D, and the bottom 6 won't be status quo either. That's my bet anyway.
Well yes, the bottom 6 does need to become a bit tougher without sacrificing hockey play. White and Moen are perfect in that role, as Nokelainen is in the 13th spot. Eller may not be a big hitter or fighter, but he has good balance and is strong on his feet, protecting the puck well. So add another body and combine it with some of the current roster and it will be improved.

I still retain that the most important thing is adding to the top 6. One scoring line will not win very many hockey games, no matter how tough your bottom 6 is.

The defense on the other hand... Can't wait to hear what Therrien thinks of Kaberle.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:35 PM
StanleyCH25

Nice signing. Character guy who knows his role and does it really well. I don't think there are too many players that I would prefer in my bottom 6 that would be willing to sign for the same amount as he did. As many people pointed out, we're basically buying some of his prime years at a very reasonable price. I would have preferred a 3 year deal but even on a 4 year deal, I think he'll be a highly tradable veteran asset in that last year as long as he's healthy.

Oh.. and for the anti capologists, don't forget that if you save 100k per year on 10 different players, that gives you 1M more to spend on a big name free agent...

StanleyCH25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
charlie

**** yeah.........Love this signing.
Love Moen.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hope Of Glory

Quote:

Do I really need to connect the dots for you on these 3 facts or are you good to go figure it out on your own.
I obviously agree with the first two facts. But what does it have to do with the Moen signing? Having him back does not imply that we will not make other moves, he is a 3rd/4th liner... We're not a Moen away from not signing big guys on Sunday.

As for the 3rd fact, the only things Bergevin made in this direction are bringing back a good 3rd liner/even better 4th liner that people wanted back and our 13 forward. Big deal. Especially considering he lets go Campoli and Staubitz, moves that can be considered as a change if you're not happy with our depth guys that much.

Hope Of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
Staubitz, Campoli and Blunden weren't expected to start 2012 season because they werent in the teams plans in 2011. They were emergency replacements and bad ones. A failure to sign these players is not out of a desire for change, it's out of a desire to go back to the way things were before they were required.

If you were reading this board and had no knowledge of the past you would think that nobody needs to leave the Habs roster but Scott Gomez.

My comments were not directed at Moen's capabilities, although I don't think a 4 year deal will look particularly good in about 2 years, but that management either feels big change is not possible right now (bad free agent pool, trade market cold) or not needed (which is bloody ridiculous) . Status quo will not produce better results next year so re-ups of players on the current roster is puzzling.
You must not have been paying much attention then, if you thinks it's status quo. Bergevin's first order of business was to assemble a new staff, then add a new coaching staff. The UFA market is incredibly thin, especially in top end talent. If you are expecting things to change overnight, they won't. I cannot understand the panic mentality of this fanbase, just relax, and maybe focus a little more on the positives, then on the negatives. Moen and Noki signings aren't what will make or break things with the team. I assume the new management staff liked them, so they resigned them. It actually boads well, seeing as a completely different management team liked Moen enough to re-sign him for 4 years.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Well yes, the bottom 6 does need to become a bit tougher without sacrificing hockey play. White and Moen are perfect in that role, as Nokelainen is in the 13th spot. Eller may not be a big hitter or fighter, but he has good balance and is strong on his feet, protecting the puck well. So add another body and combine it with some of the current roster and it will be improved.

I still retain that the most important thing is adding to the top 6. One scoring line will not win very many hockey games, no matter how tough your bottom 6 is.

The defense on the other hand... Can't wait to hear what Therrien thinks of Kaberle.
Yes scoring is always more important, and harder to come by, than toughness.

But if the D doesn't change, Therrien will provide some real entertainment, I suspect. Even if he never says a word to the press.

Realistically, I don't think you hire Therrien as the coach unless you plan to bring in some kind of more physical presence, especially on the D. You're absolutely right they need a second line that simply didn't appear last year if they want to win, regardless. Pleks can be a part of that. Borque can't.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
A core part of the bottom 6. I'm glad he didn't sign for something as crazy as what I've been hearing Prust was after.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Yes scoring is always more important, and harder to come by, than toughness.

But if the D doesn't change, Therrien will provide some real entertainment, I suspect. Even if he never says a word to the press.

Realistically, I don't think you hire Therrien as the coach unless you plan to bring in some kind of more physical presence, especially on the D. You're absolutely right they need a second line that simply didn't appear last year if they want to win, regardless. Pleks can be a part of that. Borque can't.
Plekanec is the centerpiece to that second scoring line. It's who they put on his wings that will make or break the line. Gionta can be one, but he could also create a perfect third line with Moen and Eller too.

However, Moen should strictly be used as a third line winger. I love his defensive game and his ability to be a physical presence that changes the pace of the game.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
You must not have been paying much attention then, if you thinks it's status quo. Bergevin's first order of business was to assemble a new staff, then add a new coaching staff. The UFA market is incredibly thin, especially in top end talent. If you are expecting things to change overnight, they won't. I cannot understand the panic mentality of this fanbase, just relax, and maybe focus a little more on the positives, then on the negatives. Moen and Noki signings aren't what will make or break things with the team. I assume the new management staff liked them, so they resigned them. It actually boads well, seeing as a completely different management team liked Moen enough to re-sign him for 4 years.
The assembling of new staff and coaches has to result in on-ice changes. It's early granted but I was expecting something more resembling the changes required for a 28th place team, not one defending a championship.

And HFboards almost calls out in unison "Player X was not responsible for the team finishing 28th".

What single player is ever responsible? The bottom line is if one player wasn't responsible then a lot of players were responsible, meaning a lot of players have to change.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Plekanec is the centerpiece to that second scoring line. It's who they put on his wings that will make or break the line. Gionta can be one, but he could also create a perfect third line with Moen and Eller too.

However, Moen should strictly be used as a third line winger. I love his defensive game and his ability to be a physical presence that changes the pace of the game.
Exactly how I feel about it. Moen being in a top six role is a sign of a weak team. Gio on the third could be a sign of a deep one. He could be fantastic with Eller and Moen. (Think how often he'd blow by bottom pairing D compared to what he usually faces!) But only if there were two people really deserving to play ahead of him 5-on-5.

Old
06-29-2012, 07:54 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:

The team was 28th in the league. The season is over now. Take the same line-up with all the new staff. Do you think it's still 28th in the league? Isn't this team more talented than a 28th position team? I'm sure of it.

Also, add Markov to the line-up and this team is automatically better. He alone can move us at least 5 spots in the standings.

And it's not staue quo. At least not yet. There's also no indication we're going that way as it's just normal to re-sign a few players. Wait for Sunday before making such a statement. Chances are we're going to get at least one top 6 and one bottom 6 forward.

We don't need a complete overhaul. We need to clean the problems and add a bit of fresh blood. Keeping Moen sure won't make us a worst team.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:55 PM
LaTenderness

Moan

LaTenderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
HomaridII

Mathieu Darche ‏@matdarche52
Congrats to Noki and Moe on their new contracts!!

Old
06-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Classy.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 07:59 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
There's just something about Darche that annoys me. He can't skate, he can't shoot, he can't hit (oh lord he can't hit) but he just seems to be everywhere. Interviews, Habs promo videos, advertisements, ice-time. If or when he takes up coaching I feel like he'll never shut up.

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote