HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Ullstrom/Casey Cizikas potential

Old
06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Yashin for President

vCash: 500
What I would do to have Peca in his prime on todays team. The hitting part of Pecas game wouldnt translate to todays game though. He would be suspended a lot, the guy destroyed people if they had their head down for a second. Check this out, watch at 1:05. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wclnrrir0T0

Ouch

Yashin for President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:04 PM
BillD

These two guys are going to be the glue guys of a dependable 3rd line that can shut down offenses while scoring themselves.
We havent had a line like that since Scatchard/Blake/Wiemer. These guys could be better when they add Sundstrom.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:08 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
not trying to bring this up a lot but peca also hit like a ton of bricks. amazing for someone his size.
i actually think that it is more common for players that are like 5'10-6'0 to be the best hitters among forwards like callahan, clutter buck, ott, brown

actually 4 of the top 5 leading hitters are 5'10 -6'0

and we all know how steve webb killed people despite being 5'10

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:31 PM
BennyBST

I find it hard to project Ullstrom's ceiling, but I think he will be a serviceble winger.

But Cizikas should be anywhere from Jared Smithson to Vern Fiddler to Chris Kelly. He'll fall somewhere in that range.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Qubax

I've said it before;

but Cizikas reminds me of Dave Bolland.

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 09:09 PM
InformTheMasses

Casey Cizikas is the type of player that every successful team needs. He is a pain in the neck to play against and willing to do whatever it takes to win the puck, and win games. He will be a fan favorite for sure and a staple on a very productive checking line for years in the NHL. He can play any of the 3 forward positions, I can see him and Frans Nielsen teaming up together and driving opposing scoring lines crazy. Very polished defensive game and physical for his size. Cizikas reminds me of Brad Marchand, you don't want to play against him.

Ullstrom is interesting. He isn't a very good defensive player, more of a top 6 forward. Like Cizikas he can play all 3 forward positions. Scoring 24 Goals in 40 AHL games last season is a strong indicator of the type of player he is, he is a finisher, plain and simple. Has good size, and while he doesn't initiate contact, he doesn't shy away from it which allows him to get off a very hard and accurate shot, he seemingly ALWAYS gets it on net, that's why he scores. Ullstrom reminds me a bit of Fred Modin and Johan Franzen.

I do not know if they will do this (I think they will rush along Strome, but I hope I'm wrong). I would much prefer them give Ullstrom an opportunity to center Okposo and Bailey on the second line. He doesn't have anything left to prove at the AHL level, and he isnt a third or 4th liner. The spot is there, it should be his if he earns it and Strome doesn't go nuts in traing camp.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

3rd liners

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think Cizikas has 2nd line offense in him. Averaged nearly a point per game in his first AHL season and also had a +26 rating. That's pretty damn good. Obviously not all players are the same and develop the same, but look at Henrique with the Devils. Played his first full year in AHL and had 50 pts. Then last year he got called up to the big club and adjusted really well right away and had a great rookie campaign. Or how about this example..

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Cizikas develop into our version of Ryan Callahan. A guy who will just not be denied and a fan favorite who will consistently put up 50-55 pts. Here's to optimism!

Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Don't see Cizikas as much of a future scorer. He may have a season or two along the way with 10-30-40 stats, but all in all, he's gonna end up fitting into the Reasoner category of 3rd/4th line centers.

Even the thought by some of him maybe being a 2nd liner as soon as next season is, well, I won't even comment on that...

As for Ullstrom, I'm not sure what to say. Looks like he'll fit into the type of role guys like Arvedsson or Sinisalo have had in the past. He's definately looking like a regular NHLer of some sort. I'd even say he's the prospect in our system closest to a regular NHL role. I think he's on the Island next season.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashin for President View Post
What I would do to have Peca in his prime on todays team. The hitting part of Pecas game wouldnt translate to todays game though. He would be suspended a lot, the guy destroyed people if they had their head down for a second. Check this out, watch at 1:05. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wclnrrir0T0

Ouch
That was a dirty hit. The puck was nowhere to be found, therefore the player (Selanne) could not be separated from it. But back then, this stuff was way less regulated (forget about the 80's and prior).

No. I think Peca would've been an adaptable player to today's game. In fact, with some work, I see Casey getting close to being a reasonable facsimile... I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing from both Ulstrom and CC. buh-bye reasoner

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:23 AM
John TavArt Ross

I loved Ullstrom's spark in his short term play early in the season. Would love to think he's a 50 point player in a few years.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
That was a dirty hit. The puck was nowhere to be found, therefore the player (Selanne) could not be separated from it. But back then, this stuff was way less regulated (forget about the 80's and prior).
You have been brainwashed by too much Bettman hockey. Selanne had the puck in the neutral zone, made a behind the back pass (which he was admiring) took one stride and Peca turned his lights out.

Selanne is one of my favorite players but what he did was a serious no-no. In my day (90's when this play took place) You were taught to NEVER do what Selanne did, AND to do exactly what Peca did. It's the complete opposite now, and part of the reason why other sports like Lacrosse and Rugby are far more interesting to me than Bettman pucks.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Steve55

With the recent signings of Boyes and Boulton, chances are either Cizkas or Ullstrom will not be on opening night roster. If either two beats out Reasoner at training camp, I think it's best to waive Marty.

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Tavaresfan91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Cizikas is a John Madden clone.

Ullstrom is just fun to watch, no idea how good he will be.
Yeah I like that comparison of cizikas and madden and I think ullstrom has a lot of upside 20 goal scorer

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Icedemon

They are both solid 3rd liners. Nothing more, nothing less.

Icedemon is offline   Reply With Quote