HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 (7/1/12)

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He basically did the same thing with currently on the Kings roster. They weren't UFA's though.
Yeah but we're not talking about a 10 yr 58 million dollar contract like with Carter and Richie...this is another stratosphere of stupid. 12 years 110 million??!!!!

Old
07-01-2012, 10:14 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Can't see Holmgren being that dumb to offer two 12 yr 110 million contracts.
If thats what he's offering, no thanks.Let them stay east and we'll see them in the final!

Old
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Yeah but we're not talking about a 10 yr 58 million dollar contract like with Carter and Richie...this is another stratosphere of stupid. 12 years 110 million??!!!!
Isn't this the same kind of deal with Kovi that got NJ in trouble with the league?

Old
07-01-2012, 10:28 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
he still has to worry about giroux's raise and offersheets to schenn and couturier as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Isn't this the same kind of deal with Kovi that got NJ in trouble with the league?
kovi's deal goes beyond 40 years old. parise and suter will be in their late 30s when these deals are over so i think its ok.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
NJ offered Brodeur a 2 year deal. That tells me they are out of the Parise sweepstakes.

It's gonna be Pittsburgh or Detroit. My guess is Pittsburgh.

Suter will go with Detroit.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

If Suter doesn't go to Detroit it would be the shock of free agency. They have the money, need, and status unlike any other team. Philly has the need and status but has won alot less as of late and Detroit can afford him easier. Plus he's Western Conference happy.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:36 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
NJ offered Brodeur a 2 year deal. That tells me they are out of the Parise sweepstakes.

I just don't understand it, the Penguins would probably be giving close to or more than 8 million dollars to yet another forward after trading away two of their best defenders. It seems like several of these GM's are infatuated with the big names instead of actually addressing the needs of their team.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:46 AM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

Him going to Pitt doesn't make much sense from the standpoint he wanted to be the guy from some of the reports. Granted he wouldn't have been the guy if he came to LA but would be one of the guys. Than going to Pitt where he is behind Sid and Malkin. In Det he would be closer to being the guy by becoming the heir to Datsyuk if they choose to skip over Zetterburg.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:50 AM
SLang

I know this is really easy to say with a Cup in our back pocket, but days like today make me really glad DL is the Kings GM. Some pretty ridiculous rumors, and signings, out there right now.

I absolutely love where we are right now.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:11 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
Him going to Pitt doesn't make much sense from the standpoint he wanted to be the guy from some of the reports. Granted he wouldn't have been the guy if he came to LA but would be one of the guys. Than going to Pitt where he is behind Sid and Malkin. In Det he would be closer to being the guy by becoming the heir to Datsyuk if they choose to skip over Zetterburg.
I don't know man, Playing with Crosby would be a dream come true for me.

Just imagine a player of his skill feeding you pucks. Crosby might turn Parise into a 50 Goal scorer. Also Crosby has never really played with a Winger of Parise caliber (Hossa was injured a lot)..

Old
07-02-2012, 03:15 AM
losingsand

I see certain patterns in Dean Lombardi's tenure:

DRAFTING
2006: LEWIS and BERNIER, both were OFF THE BOARD picks... looking at 2006 mock drafts...all lists have neither player in any top 30 rankings.
2007: HICKEY... WAYY off the board.
2008: DOUGHTY (which was not really a no brainer, there were safer picks in this spot) TEUBERT (trading up for this picK)
--Dean makes BOLD moves these first 3 drafts, going off the board and taking high reward players.

: So it's 2009 and Lewis hasn't really panned out, Bernier's doing pretty good and Hickey looks like a bust... not to mention teubert having a poor
year in juniors mixed with sketchy disciplinary issues on-ice... therefore he goes safe and drafts SCHENN... not a high reward player, but with a projected 2nd line center ceiling. There were plenty of higher reward players but i believe he makes the safest pick in this spot... i'm willing to say in response to his earlier draft philosophy which at this time hadn't panned out.
2010: Forbort...This to me is a safe pick. Safe in the sense that he was the best Best Player Available.
2011: no pick
2012: Tanner Pearson (BPA)

FREE AGENT FRENZY
2006: Maccauley, wilsie, thornton, and blake (safe to say none of these really panned out)
2007: stuart, nagy, preissing, handzus, calder (more quantity, not a lot of quality)
2008: (re-signs) NOBODY NEW HERE (from signing 5 to signing 0)
2009: SCUDERI
2010: MITCHELL, PONIKAROVSKY
2011: GAGNE, MOREAU
2012: (re-signs) NOBODY NEW YET

so you can see some more trends here, yes dean swung and missed at some HIGH PRICED UFA's but after 2 years of dumpster diving, he's going for quality instead of quantity.

DEADLINE TRADES:

-- ok i'm starting to get lazy here w/ the research but i'm getting to the point Dean abandon things that don't work, and he repeats transactions that do work (makes sense). The jeff carter trade could possibly be one of the best trades in the history of the nhl in terms of an ultimate turn around and the whole winning the stanley cup thing. Jeff Carter wasn't exactly the savior, but the mere fact that they started winning with CARTS in the line up is enough to tell me that this was the best move Dean has ever made. I think Dean makes his splash again at the deadline (not to mention Penner was also a deadline piece).i don't really think he does anything now. We've got a great team and it appears as though the western conference is getting weaker, I think we get our OVER THE TOP piece at the deadline and not now. It seems that we've been playing it relatively safe lately here in July.

So i say just wait til march til we see our new piece. We'll be able to assess then what our needs are... we definitely have some trade-able assets to make something happen then.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:22 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,3591754.story
Quote:
The Zach Parise derby may have turned into a two-day decathlon, but the Kings were realistic about their chances with the New Jersey Devils free-agent star forward, calling the odds of signing him "way too long."

An official with knowledge of the situation but not authorized to comment said Sunday that the team had learned from the pursuit of Brad Richards last summer — he landed with the New York Rangers — and was focusing elsewhere. That focus could end up on Phoenix Coyotes captain Shane Doan, who has two big fans in Kings Coach Darryl Sutter and Kings President and General Manager Dean Lombardi.

Doan, however, is holding off on his plans until July 9, hoping to get some clarity on the Coyotes' muddled ownership situation. By then, the two marquee free agents, Parise and Nashville Predators defenseman Ryan Suter, will have made their decisions, and perhaps the Columbus Blue Jackets will have traded Rick Nash.

Parise and Suter could decide on Monday, the second day of NHL free agency. The Kings were of the understanding they were still in on Parise, as of Sunday night, but were not optimistic.

They moved forward on another front, signing left wing Dustin Penner to a one-year deal worth $3.25 million, keeping the Stanley Cup-winning team nearly intact. He opted not to explore free agency.

"I wanted to be on a championship team," Penner said on a conference call. "When I was with Anaheim, I kind of flew the coop early. I didn't get the experience to be part of a championship team the following year."

Also, goalie Jonathan Quick, who agreed to a 10-year, $58-million deal last week, signed his contract, according to his agent. His deal is front-loaded, paying him $7 million in each of the first seven years and then dropping to $3.5 million, $3 million and $2.5 million in the final three years.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:53 AM
Cruel11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Doan respects Kopitar a lot and two seasons ago, he said Kopitar is one of the most underrated player in the entire league. Hmmm...i guess we have to wait and see.

Old
07-02-2012, 04:52 AM
SCARFACE909

Found this on the main boards in the Parise thread, take it for what it's worth..

Quote:
So I've heard a few things about Parise's decision. My cousin is good friends with Zach (you don't have to believe me I'm not claiming to have "inside sources" but I do know they are friends). So apparently they went out for a few drinks tonight with a few of his buddies from outside of hockey. Apparently there are 3 teams he said he was still considering and deciding overnight.

There obviously is still a strong possibility he resigns in New Jersey. He doesn't want to piss off the fans when they want and expect him to stay. He feels pressured to resign as Captain of the team and is obviously good friends with alot of the Devils players. Apparently he talked about how he would feel really bad leaving but really badly wants to win and that is his main priority and doesn't know if the Devils will be a contender going forward.

The second team is the Penguins because they are a contender for the cup. He said he would love to play with Crosby Malkin etc and thinks they have the best shot at the cup for the next few years in the east. Don't know what they offered him but said it was pretty good deal and term.

The final team he brought up was the Kings. He said they couldn't offer him as much financially as a negative but did think they were going to be a contender for a while. He is also good friends with Dustin Brown and apparently spoke to Brown for a while and Brown convinced him of the great atmosphere on the team and how much fun they have both on and off the ice (I immediately thought of Richards/Carter/Doughty when he mentioned that haha).

But anyways you don't have to take my word just spreading what I've heard sounded like his final 3. My cousin didn't mention Minnesota as they aren't a contender and also didn't mention Detroit or Philly surprisingly. I wouldn't of thought he was seriously considering Kings with lower offer but both Devils and Penguins have been mentioned before and make sense.

So basically based on the 5 mins I heard some of this info it seems in order he'll go to either:

1)Pittsburgh
2)New Jersey
3)Los Angeles

Old
07-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Rusty Batch

I would love to get Doan. But we would have to move Gagne in that scenario, probably even Lewis or Clifford as well. This team just has sooo many forwards. Im trying to figure out where we can play all these guys and its starting to seem impossible. I guess thats a good problem to have?

Old
07-02-2012, 06:14 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Batch View Post
I would love to get Doan. But we would have to move Gagne in that scenario, probably even Lewis or Clifford as well. This team just has sooo many forwards. Im trying to figure out where we can play all these guys and its starting to seem impossible. I guess thats a good problem to have?
I'd drop Gagne faster than a hot pan if we had a chance at doan.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:15 AM
cubsfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingsand View Post
So i say just wait til march til we see our new piece. We'll be able to assess then what our needs are... we definitely have some trade-able assets to make something happen then.
When Calgary is out, iginla as a rental at the deadline for two prospects (not toffoli) and a second would be perfect. Then sign him for a reasonable cup-friendly contract.

Possible?

Old
07-02-2012, 06:40 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingsand View Post
2008: DOUGHTY (which was not really a no brainer, there were safer picks in this spot)
Say what?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Too funny. A lot of Canucks fans defending that Garrison contract. That contract is brutal for a 27 year old that had ONE good year.
He's the new Jeff Finger

Old
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Brodeur thinks Parise will re-sign with NJ today. Strickland says that it is down to 2 teams, guessing NJ and Pittsburgh.

I think he will re-sign with NJ and the Devils fans will go nuts on the Pittsburgh board.

Should be fun to watch either way between the NJ and Pittsburgh fans.

NJ also re-signed Hedberg for 2 years. Both Brodeur and Hedberg have NTC attached.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
JureEe
Go Kings Go!

Katie Strang@KatieStrangESPN

Quote:
#NJD Devils all set at goaltender position now. Johan Hedberg has agreed in principle to two-year deal with Devils.
https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...08194904588289

Old
07-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Face Wash

I think if the Kings really wanted to spend wisely this offseason, they'd have thrown their money at Suter, not Parise. Suter with Doughty? Ridiculous... And for 6 years +. In fact it would have solidified the D Corp for a long time to come. Forwards can be traded for. Quality young Dmen are tougher to find.

Having said that, am upset the Kings aren't the frontrunner for ZP9? No. Am I pissed they haven't overspent during silly season? Nope. Do I think the Kings repeat if they're complacent. Hello no! LW2 is a huge question mark and while the D is very strong, the Scuderi contract situation has to he resolved.

Resigning their own won't cut it. They have issues to address. Kudos to DL for having the cap flexibility to do it.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:26 AM
MsWoof

Wait for Weber next year instead.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
I think if the Kings really wanted to spend wisely this offseason, they'd have thrown their money at Suter, not Parise. Suter with Doughty? Ridiculous... And for 6 years +. In fact it would have solidified the D Corp for a long time to come. Forwards can be traded for. Quality young Dmen are tougher to find.

Having said that, am upset the Kings aren't the frontrunner for ZP9? No. Am I pissed they haven't overspent during silly season? Nope. Do I think the Kings repeat if they're complacent. Hello no! LW2 is a huge question mark and while the D is very strong, the Scuderi contract situation has to he resolved.

Resigning their own won't cut it. They have issues to address. Kudos to DL for having the cap flexibility to do it.
i am on the opposite side on this. ZP is the priority over Suter. LA's D is set and has good depth maturing in the wings. there is no contract situation with Scuds at this point. his expires after next season and based on DL's recored he will look to extend him late in the season (like he did with Mitchell), or he will let him walk. for now though it isn't an issue. DL may also be looking at that as a 'window' for some of the kids to compete for that spot, which will bring in youth and lower the cap for him.

yes you can 'trade for forwards', but you can't trade for a player of ZP's caliber. not without giving up the family farm and first-born children. players like him aren't readily available, which is why i think his FA is bigger than Richards and Kovalchuk the past few years. ZP has a better all around game than Kovie and is a better pure sniper than Richards.

would bringing Suter in make LA's defense over the top? hell yes it would, but when looking at what adding ZP to mix would mean - i favor Parise.

when all is said and done though, i expect neither to sign in LA. happy DL has this running smooth and not throwing sick money around. he still has $6-8M left to use in FA or for a deadline deal next Feb.

Old
07-02-2012, 11:35 AM
DeeMeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Wait for Weber next year instead.
Definitely agree here. Honestly, I think Suter is a decent player. It is the lack of market for dmen making him look like a God right now. I'll get flamed for this, but I would take Jack Johnson over him as a guy to be your #1 dman. Suter landed in the right year to be a UFA for a dman.

Wideman was grossly overpaid by Calgary, which easily puts Suter around 6.5 million or more.

Suter is not the guy you want to drop 7 or 8 million on. There is no doubt he is a very solid dman that eats up alot of minutes. I just don't buy that he is a franchise cornerstone dman.

Weber, on the other hand....is one of the top 5 dmen in the league.

I am going to edit and reiterate. I am not trying to slam Suter at all here. He can play on my team anytime...I just don't think he deserves all of this offseason hype, or any more than 6 mil per year.

Closed Thread