HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How did you become a fan of your team?

Old
06-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Evgeni Orzabal*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMardigan View Post
I pull for the home team.

Carolina is my home.
They move the team to Charlotte and I might even start rooting for them to.

Until then...hell noooooo.

Evgeni Orzabal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Saw a bunch of hype about this dude named Crosby while surfing through channels as The Amazing Race was in commercials, I've been the biggest Penguins fan ever since he was called the Next One and found out what hockey is

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:19 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
I was beaten mercilessly with a belt as a child until I said I would root for the local sport teams.....To this day I have nightmares and I am terrified at the thought of not rooting for them.

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:21 PM
Mr Green

I grew up in Denver.

Mr Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I was born. That's how I became a Habs fan.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

The team I played for as a kind has identical jerseys as the Rangers and when I got my first NHL video game (still remember that Christmas) is was easy to relate to them.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Dad is a big Flyers fan, so, yeah, that's pretty much why.

Flyers games were always on in the house growing up, and it helps that I'm about an hour from Philly.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
2004 Cup Run
You and half of Calgary.

Anyway, Patrick Roy was my favorite player growing up, and when he was traded to the Avs, I stuck with the Habs because they were already ingrained in my brain as my permanent favorite. Also I found out later on Roy made his NHL debut on the day I was born, so that was pretty cool.

Seth Rollins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Noir

In Vancouver, heard about Pavel Bure, saw him on TV, that was that.

Everyone in my neighborhood was emulating him in street hockey, cul-de-sacs, and hockey pitches everywhere. I swear, everyone in my neighborhood was a dangler because of him (or trying to be).

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
The Leafs were the team on TV where I grew up, and my dad was a fan.

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Leaf For Life

When i was 5 or 6 I started playing hockey. I was the maple leafs. later that year I went to my first hockey game and I was amazed that hockey players wore the same logo as me. From that moment on I was a leafs fan. It wasn't til I was 14 that I really started fallowing the leafs and watched the games on t.v

Leaf For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

When I was 5 and the Nordiques became the Avalanche and showed up in my city out of the blue

jfisher6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 10:36 PM
BigZKingK

im borned in 1991 and i've actuly been to the first game of the Ottawa Senators i dont remember it obviously, but since i can actully remember i've always been a Ottawa Senators fans despite living closer to mtl

BigZKingK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
You and half of Calgary.
I was nine having only emigrated to Canada two years prior. Yeah, they breed the bandwagon jumpers to start early . Most kids around my age started following the Flames the the '04 Cup Run. And anyone older who follows the team anything more than casually has been around a while.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Dont Poke Subban

2004. when the habs came back from a 1-3 series and won 3 games in a row to eliminate/upset the bruins in the 1st round.

but then.. the habs were swept by tampa bay the next round..lol and won the cup that year.

that didnt stop me from being a fan though. saku koivu and theodore will always be the reason why i became a huge habs fan.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Incognito

I was born and raised in Toronto, and my house is a fifteen minute drive from the Air Canada Center. Also, my father and his father before him were both huge Leafs fans, so I was born into fandom as part of a family tradition - well, except for my brother. He defected in the late 1990's and became a die-hard Devils fan.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:00 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772

A is home. B is the United Center. Why would I chose anyone else?

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Trevor Linden was drafted.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:03 AM
molsonmuscle360

When I was born my dad was working at Fuhr Ford during Fuhr's rookie season.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Ronk

Home team.

NHL 94 - Tomas Sandstrom was BEAST in that game.

Mostly home team though.

Ronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:24 AM
tsanuri

I had watched some hockey on and off starting in 1980 after the olympics. Was from LA but nobody in my family liked hockey and the games were on late at night and not even shown live. But in 1983 when I was watching one of those late night games that had been played earlier in the day and I was hooked. It just so happened to be the miracle on manchester. I still remember sneaking away as a 16 years old telling my parents I was going out with a friend and driving the almost 2 hours, thanks to traffic, to watch my first game at the forum. That would have been in the 85/86 season and seeing my first game live hooked me even more.

This year was so great thinking of my nearly 30 year journey and knowing mine was not as long as others. Just to see my team raise the cup. The only thing for me that sucks is I had to leave the area 3 years ago after having had season seats for 18 years so I was not able to go to any of the games in this great run.

I just hope this run has made many more fans that will stay the course for the Kings for the next 45 years and beyond.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Affinity

My dad is a fan so I grew up watching and cheering for the Rangers. He also showed me this site haha.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:44 AM
PaperworkNinja

KPLR ran lots of ads for the Blues when I was a child. "See the Blues at the CHECKERDOME!" was a regular phrase heard back then. (So yes, late 70s.) Strangely, you had to watch the games on KTVI, but KPLR had all the ads. Then when we moved out of KTVI's range, I listened to the Blues games on the radio until KPLR picked up the Blues games, then the cable company stopped carrying KPLR and I went back to the radio.

Now, the Blackhawks could have televised all their games and such with say, WGN back in the day, but Bill Wirtz decided not to do that.

The team that almost took my loyalty from the Blues was the LA Kings. We had a minor-league team, the Springfield Kings, when I was in grade school. I went to one game and was hooked on any and all hockey I could find after that.

I wound up staying a Blues fan, regardless of the lack of Stanley Cups. Someday it'll happen. Mathematical probability and all that.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Mouse21*

1999 series vs. Detroit

my cousin was staying at my house and we watched the series, epic. down 2 games to none the Avs came back to win 4 straight.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:02 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

I was not much of a hockey fan in my early teens. A lot of people following hockey back then in my hometown were ex-nordiques fans who raved about the avalanche. The Habs fans were pretty disgruntled since the team had been in disarray for years, I know my dad and brothers stopped watching pretty soon after Roy was traded.

I fully remember Koivu coming back from cancer however, I watched the game with my father and was really moved by it. Before that day hockey was a sport of ********* for me because everyone that played hockey at my school were ********** (and so were Ribeiro or Theodore).

There was nothing douchebaggy about Koivu coming back, it showed me a side of hockey I did not know before and all these multimillionaire athletes became a lot more human to me. I became interested in the Habs and its history of success and awesomeness. I began to like this team of underdogs that beat the much favored Bruins in 2002, a team that was stocked with good prospects and a much brighter future. Then I was mesmerised by Kovalev's skill, Markov's incredible powerplay vision, Souray's mighty top-corner slapshots from the blueline, Higgins' drive and, for a year, Komisarek's bodychecks. Like that, when the lockout happened I was completely starved for hockey and couldn't wait for it to finally end. Since then I have watched most Habs games and became a diehard fan, not only of the team but hockey as well. This team is very different than it was 10 years ago but the passion lives on.

**** the Bruins and have a great day

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote