HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

What happens to next yr's AHL contracts?

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2005, 06:25 PM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

vCash: 500
What happens to next yr's AHL contracts?

Let's say the NHL cancels the season and doesn't start up by the beginning of next year.
What happens to the players whose 2 way contracts expire? For example, I believe Brian Finley is on a 2way contract with Milwaukee/Nashville. His 1 year contract expires after this year and thus he becomes a RFA. If Nashville can't negotiate any contracts or even a qualifying offer, does Finley become a UFA?
Are AHL teams going to lose any players from their parent clubs for next year? Can anybody help me out with this one? Thanks.

Old
01-05-2005, 03:21 PM
Levitate

i think AHL clubs are free to sign anyone really...AHL contracts aren't tied to NHL contracts (or NHL teams rights). i don't know about the scenario involving RFA's not being tendered qualifying offers if there's no CBA in place and therefor becoming UFA's, but regardless, if they are free agents of any sort, they could sign with whatever AHL team they want (i'm pretty sure anyways...i know jeff hamilton is islander "property" but is playing for the hartford wolfpack this year and not the sound tigers because he signed an AHL contract with the pack)

Old
01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Jag68Sid87

It's a very interesting question. Perhaps what may happen is that as long as the NHL remains in lockout mode, the AHL will start to take on more the look of the old IHL--as players will become more independent of their affiliates.

I don't think it's in the best interests of the individual NHL clubs to have their players scattered all over the place, but I'm not sure they can put a stop to it, quite frankly.

Another interesting sub-plot to this whole mess.

Closed Thread