HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils Financial Situation

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 12:34 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

vCash: 500
Just like I predicted...This thread has been abandoned.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Devils86

Like that so called Botta investor

Last edited by Devils86: 07-06-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: the b and m are too close
Old
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

I guess we can't trust Botta or the NYT either, maybe the Post was right after all

Old
07-06-2012, 03:48 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ The idea that the friggin' POST of all news outlets might be right really irks me something fierce.

Will this ever end?

Old
07-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Patience. Now that we don't have to worry about paying Parise, this is really not as pressing. As long as we have an owner by the end of the summer, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Not to mention that we nearly got Zach for an offer that would have been fairly large.. The fact that he picked the Wild I do not believe had much to do about ownership.. The Post basically said we weren't going to be in the picture with what we could offer (not to mention how they were wrong that Parise would be gone by the trade deadline)

Old
07-06-2012, 06:34 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Patience. Now that we don't have to worry about paying Parise, this is really not as pressing. As long as we have an owner by the end of the summer, it shouldn't be a problem.
Too bad the Wendy's people haven't gotten involved.....If JVB wants to make money, let them put Wendy's places inside the Rock.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:41 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veknyc View Post
I'm skinny, but stunningly attractive.
I'm the same way. If you get the right clothes it doesn't even make a difference.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:24 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Not to mention that we nearly got Zach for an offer that would have been fairly large.. The fact that he picked the Wild I do not believe had much to do about ownership.. The Post basically said we weren't going to be in the picture with what we could offer (not to mention how they were wrong that Parise would be gone by the trade deadline)
What stopped Lou from signing up Parise last summer when he was still an RFA? He had the Knee Injury but Lou muffed up by not signing Parise into a long term contract when he "controlled" Parsise as RFA. On the one hand he "protected" the NJ team and ownership from paying off a potentially bad asset by giving Parise a one year prove his injury was not an issue. On the otherhand, Lou didn't show Parise loyalty and trust (like say Penguins signing up Crosby now even with potential concussion issues) by offering a longer term contract. To Parise, he has to realize if his play is not up to par NJ will of course not resign him (or sign him or less). And so given that, he has to look out for his own best interest.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:48 AM
kiwidevil

What if Parise said he wanted to see what is out there in UFA? And didn't want to sign a long term deal.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:08 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Honestly, I would have asked what the hell Lou was thinking if he locked Parise up in a long term deal last summer.
Perhaps Parise never wanted to be anyway, even if he had been healthy all of last season. I guess we'll never know.
Regardless, I was one of the few fans hoping that Lou wouldn't throw out an absurd contract he'd regret if Parise never fully recovered his game.

And I say the same for Crosby, as well. I know career contracts that are fully frontloaded are all the rage right now, and I know Crosby is a one of a kind player... but that's a huge gamble right there.

Hell, handing out any contract over 5 years to a player with minimal injury history is even risky as hell.

I'm curious to see how the new CBA affects this trend.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:27 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

You think had the Devils offered the same contract to Zach the Wild did, and he accepted it, Bettman would have punished them again? I bet he would have.

In any case, I do tend to agree, I would have some serious mixed feelings had Zach signed here on that contract. Having seen both Parise and Kovalchuk play on the same team, you can see why one is probably more worth a long term deal than the other. Of course if Kovys injury is serious, that contract will look really terrible really fast; and we'd be in a ton of trouble.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:07 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
Regardless, I was one of the few fans hoping that Lou wouldn't throw out an absurd contract he'd regret if Parise never fully recovered his game.
And I say the same for Crosby, as well. I know career contracts that are fully frontladed are all the rage right now, and I know Crosby is a one of a kind player... but that's a huge gamble right there
I used to like Zach for his heart and effort, and despise Sid for being an a$$ and league's golden boy.
But those two can not go in the same sentence as far as the game goes. One is worth gambling on, the other one not so much.
Fact that they are getting payed basically the same money is honestly laughable. Devils offer had much to do with this, and far less with ownership situation.

And for the record - next time I read '100M dollar man' with reference to Kovy, I will create new accounts and spam that journalist till Kingdom comes.

Old
07-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
You think had the Devils offered the same contract to Zach the Wild did, and he accepted it, Bettman would have punished them again? I bet he would have.
He couldn't, based on the terms of the CBA amendment that was passed when the Kovalchuk contract was struck down in arbitration.

But he'd probably try anyway.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

This tidbit comes from an article not related to hockey at all but I've never heard of this name in relation to Devils ownership:

Quote:
This provision ensures that the school will spend enough of its taxpayer money on rent over the next 30 years for ACE Alliance to pay back its bond to Powell Capital Markets, whose chief, Arthur Powell, has a stake in the New Jersey Devils hockey franchise.
Link to NON DEVILS RELATED ARTICLE: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._is_on_sh.html

Well, who is this guy?

Obviously Chambers/Gilfilan and Vanderbeek own 94% combined but I didn't think the other 6% was owned by a guy named Powell.

Old
07-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
This tidbit comes from an article not related to hockey at all but I've never heard of this name in relation to Devils ownership:

Link to NON DEVILS RELATED ARTICLE: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._is_on_sh.html

Well, who is this guy?

Obviously Chambers/Gilfilan and Vanderbeek own 94% combined but I didn't think the other 6% was owned by a guy named Powell.
No one ever has confirmed that the group that Chambers/Giliflan manage is completely owned by them. It sounds like he has a stake in their group.

Furthermore, J Peter Simon is believed to own the majority of the remaining 6% and has been a partial owner for a substanial amount of time.

http://www.wesimonfoundation.org/ind...id=3&Itemid=10

Old
07-10-2012, 12:40 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Not quite a perfect fit, but this seemed the most logical thread for this link.

Basically the gist of the article is Booker getting bitc.hed at for continuing to spend hundreds of thousands of taxpayer money to (likely) fruitlessly sue the Devils.

Quote:
Newark Mayor Booker blasted by N.J. Assemblyman for making bad deal with the Devils

Quote:
“It appears Mayor Booker has walked away from several deals with the Devils over the last few years," said O’Scanlon in a statement. “Everything from contractual assumption of risk to a parking agreement has lead to discord and litigation. Now, Newark is on the hook to the Devils for $600,000 owed immediately and at least $3.7 million in legal fees to their lawyers. The bills keep piling up.
Quote:
“The Governor and Legislature just got done hammering out a balanced budget that keeps our state on the right track financially,” O’Scanlon said in the statement. “Meanwhile, Cory Booker is fighting an expensive personal vendetta with one hand while he has the other hand out expecting state aid. I respect the Mayor, but this situation is becoming egregious.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ker_is_bl.html

Old
07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Newark owes the Devils a few million in legal fees? No wonder Booker is ********.

The funny thing is, Booker has been praising Chambers as a model citizen through this whole fight.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
Newark owes the Devils a few million in legal fees? No wonder Booker is ********.

The funny thing is, Booker has been praising Chambers as a model citizen through this whole fight.
im not as familiar with the situation as all of you guys, but do you think it could be because he has the feud with vanderbeek and chambers is the partner who wants out?

Old
07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
im not as familiar with the situation as all of you guys, but do you think it could be because he has the feud with vanderbeek and chambers is the partner who wants out?
Booker is a Chambers guy and could be doing his proxy. Not too far of a stretch to think that.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
http://blogs.wsj.com/bankruptcy/2012...slight-return/

Old
07-12-2012, 05:17 PM
The 29th Pick
Where's Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
I saw bankruptcy and thought ...here we go, but its about Lehman bro's bankruptcy

Old
07-12-2012, 07:09 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Lehman’s Sept. 15, 2008, bankruptcy filing ranks as the largest ever. The company exited bankruptcy earlier this year and has begun making distributions to creditors. Under Lehman’s Chapter 11 plan, unsecured creditors like Vanderbeek will recover about 20 cents on the dollar on their claims.
and they awarded him $3 million on a $61 million claim? what the ****

Old
07-12-2012, 07:25 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ Where does the rest of the 58 million go?

Old
07-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
^ Where does the rest of the 58 million go?
Most of it is lost or stashed in some tax haven, but the fact they are awarding 20 cents on the dollar and gave him a quarter on those 20 cents instead reeks of debt-dodging ********.

Closed Thread