HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Prospect Index 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2012, 04:07 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Nonetheless, compared to the competition around him it all seemed way too easy for him.
As is evidenced by his celebration after that one-timer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Isackson's defensive play getting noticed:
Very good. It's obviously way, way, waaaaaaaaaaay premature, but something about C.I. reminds me of Andreychuk. Maybe it's the heavy-footed goal scoring.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Old
10-13-2012, 07:29 PM
ottsabrefan

[QUOTE=iciclesonapapershelf;54964097]As is evidenced by his celebration after that one-timer.

Yeah, I was thinking he is going to have to work on it! It looks a bit like the old Gretzky celebration.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:44 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
As is evidenced by his celebration after that one-timer.
His OT goal celebration against Victoriaville is his signature move. But he reserves it for more important goals than a 3-1 lead against the 14th ranked team.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Seanothan

Isackson has 2 assists thus far, Gophers up 5-0

Old
10-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanothan View Post
Isackson has 2 assists thus far, Gophers up 5-0
  • And Isackson finishes with 2 A, 1 SOG, +1 in a 7-1 Minnesota win over MSU.
  • McCabe (0 SOG, E) and Navin (1 SOG, -1) were pointless as Wisconsin dropped a second game to Northern Michigan.
  • Adams was +1 with 1 SOG in PC's 4-2 loss to BU.
  • Lepkowski was E and pointless in Barrie's 2-1 win over Sudbury.
  • Austin was +1 with 3 A in Belleville's 4-1 win over Oshawa.
  • Catenacci was +2 with 2 G (including the GTG and the clinching shootout winner) in Owen Sound's 5-4 win over Peterborough.
  • Jacobs was -3 and pointless in Prince George's 7-2 loss to Medicine Hat; his point streak ends at eight games.
  • Nelson was E with a PP assist in Victoria's 3-2 win over Kelowna.
  • Makarov stopped 27/29 shots in Saskatoon's 5-2 win over Lethbridge.
  • Armia was -1 with 2 SOG in 13:34 TOI as Aces lost 2-1 to Tappara.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:29 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
  • And Isackson finishes with 2 A, 1 SOG, +1 in a 7-1 Minnesota win over MSU.
  • McCabe (0 SOG, E) and Navin (1 SOG, -1) were pointless as Wisconsin dropped a second game to Northern Michigan.
  • Adams was +1 with 1 SOG in PC's 4-2 loss to BU.
  • Lepkowski was E and pointless in Barrie's 2-1 win over Sudbury.
  • Austin was +1 with 3 A in Belleville's 4-1 win over Oshawa.
  • Catenacci was +2 with 2 G (including the GTG and the clinching shootout winner) in Owen Sound's 5-4 win over Peterborough.
  • Jacobs was -3 and pointless in Prince George's 7-2 loss to Medicine Hat; his point streak ends at eight games.
  • Nelson was E with a PP assist in Victoria's 3-2 win over Kelowna.
  • Makarov stopped 27/29 shots in Saskatoon's 5-2 win over Lethbridge.
  • Armia was -1 with 2 SOG in 13:34 TOI as Aces lost 2-1 to Tappara.
Catenacci looked great as usual last night. I can see him making a push for the 3rd or 4th line in two years.

I also REALLY like Cameron Brace. I think he is even faster than Catenacci and very electrifying. Reminds me of Rico Fata, not that Rico did anything in the NHL. I hope the Sabres can pick him up as he never was drafted, somehow.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:03 PM
ohlguy

I watched Owen Sound's last few games and all I can say about Daniel Catenacci is WOW!! Talk about an all-round player that can do it all with a compete level that's second to none. This kid may be the best defensive forward in the league, even though he's known for his speed, skill and being an offensive threat. Cat may also be the best face-off man in the league, must have won 90% of them the last two games I watched. Cat's PK is outstanding!At one point he killed the entire 2 minutes of a penalty blocking 3 shots......No wonder Owen Sound is sitting in first place overall in OHL at the moment.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlguy View Post
I watched Owen Sound's last few games and all I can say about Daniel Catenacci is WOW!! Talk about an all-round player that can do it all with a compete level that's second to none. This kid may be the best defensive forward in the league, even though he's known for his speed, skill and being an offensive threat. Cat may also be the best face-off man in the league, must have won 90% of them the last two games I watched. Cat's PK is outstanding!At one point he killed the entire 2 minutes of a penalty blocking 3 shots......No wonder Owen Sound is sitting in first place overall in OHL at the moment.
Would love to see him develop into a defensive stalwart with speed, chipiness, and faceoff prowess, but with the ability to also pop in 15-20 goals. That'd be ideal. I'd rather see that than the organization trying to cultivate him as a scoring line player.

Old
10-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Mergus

Whoops... wrong thread...

Old
10-14-2012, 07:30 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Would love to see him develop into a defensive stalwart with speed, chipiness, and faceoff prowess, but with the ability to also pop in 15-20 goals. That'd be ideal. I'd rather see that than the organization trying to cultivate him as a scoring line player.
He's definitely got that potential. I think Sabres fans are going to love him.

For this year, I'd like to see him keep the streak of having at least one Sabres prospect on Team Canada. I think he's going to have to get red hot to have a shot at making it with all the NHL talent floating around in junior, though.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Plus if you put Cat and Girgensons on the same line, find a 3rd mate for them...you could have a solid 2-way line that can contribute offensively and shutdown opponents defensively.

Ideally you have the top 2 lines anchored by Grigorenko/Hodgson/Ennis (one of them moved to wing if needed). Girgensons wouldn't be a traditional checking line center given his offensive capabilities. So if Cat pans out you toss him there, maybe add a Ott/Tropp/etc. type...a line that would be nasty to play against and can contribute at both ends of the ice...

But that's a ways away...

Old
10-14-2012, 08:56 PM
CowbellConray

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Plus if you put Cat and Girgensons on the same line, find a 3rd mate for them...you could have a solid 2-way line that can contribute offensively and shutdown opponents defensively.

Ideally you have the top 2 lines anchored by Grigorenko/Hodgson/Ennis (one of them moved to wing if needed). Girgensons wouldn't be a traditional checking line center given his offensive capabilities. So if Cat pans out you toss him there, maybe add a Ott/Tropp/etc. type...a line that would be nasty to play against and can contribute at both ends of the ice...

But that's a ways away...
I dont see why Tropp cant be that guy. Kid has wheels to keep up with Cat, and a nice physical presence. I like him a LOT, and see him as a 15-20 goal 35 point player who is solid in all three zones. Him with Cat and Girgs screams top teir third line to me.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:24 PM
jfb392

Decided the Grigorenko source video probably wasn't suitable for a video, so here's another Armia one:

Old
10-14-2012, 10:46 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
I dont see why Tropp cant be that guy. Kid has wheels to keep up with Cat, and a nice physical presence. I like him a LOT, and see him as a 15-20 goal 35 point player who is solid in all three zones. Him with Cat and Girgs screams top teir third line to me.
agree, im really high on all three of those guys... theres always the chance we retain ott long term...a combo of cat,girgs,otto,tropp could be awesome to watch

Old
10-15-2012, 01:12 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
It's been said on here before, but I'd love to see him become a Darren Helm clone at the NHL level. I doubt he is a full-time center in the NHL, especially on this team, and I doubt he becomes a top 6 NHLer from the prototypical top 6 offensive standpoint. But if he works at it he has the tools to be a very good two-way 3rd line wing who can play center as well.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:45 AM
ohlguy

Quote:
I totally agree, this complete type of player like Catenacci is more valuable to an organization than the one dimentional scorer type. Having watched this kid play quite a bit, I can tell you that his numbers would be higher if he wasn't so defensively responsible. It's a great thing when you can be as skilled as Cat is, put up great numbers and still be relied upon as a shutdown, PK guy whose great on draws. He's also versatile because he can play wing and be effective with that speed of his. Your getting a few different types of players all in one with this kid.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:42 PM
AvsFanRCN

I've been watching a bunch of Victoria Royals games lately and just thought I'd hop over to your guys' boards to let you know I've been really impressed with Nelson so far this season. Hes got good vision, hands, and speed. Always has a couple of nice dekes, really think he deserved a goal on Saturday. Gonna enjoy watching this guy play for the rest of the season

Old
10-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
I've been watching a bunch of Victoria Royals games lately and just thought I'd hop over to your guys' boards to let you know I've been really impressed with Nelson so far this season. Hes got good vision, hands, and speed. Always has a couple of nice dekes, really think he deserved a goal on Saturday. Gonna enjoy watching this guy play for the rest of the season
Thanks for the report. He may turn out to be a solid 5th rounder. It sounds like he has a little bit of skill, but also has the willingness to play the body and could be a valuable guy in a bottom-6 in the NHL.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
That's what I've had hopes for him being since the draft year. He's got all the tools to be an elite third liner, and his combination of speed and an incredible center of gravity is just phenomenal. I'd be incredibly hyped for Darren Helm with better offensive instincts.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Qurpiz
Ihanaa Saatana!

vCash: 735
Uh-oh, heard on the radio Armia might be concussed, hasn't played in the 2nd period against SaiPa

Old
10-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Woodhouse: 10-16-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old
10-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Qurpiz
Ihanaa Saatana!

vCash: 735
Armia did suffer a concussion, more details on Thursday, no info on how long he'll be out.

His first concussion, and luckily his status in the team website is called "mild upper-body injury"

Old
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

A pair of interviews from today:
10.17 – Amerks defenseman Mark Pysyk speaks with WGR on Wednesday. <5:45>

10.17 – Amerks defenseman Brayden McNabb speaks with WGR on Wednesday. <11:38>

Old
10-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Watched part of the first period of the Remparts-Sea Dogs game. Grigorenko backchecked well and used his rangy body to his advantage in the defensive zone.

Extremely smooth skater for his size. He looks effortless out there. Very cerebral.

He had an assist on Adam Erne's second goal of the game by receiving a pass at the Sea Dogs blue line, skated in on a developing 2-on-1, sent a saucer pass to Erne backdoor for an open net.

Hell of an intelligent, skilled and smooth player. I think Buffalo got a steal in him at 12, no question.

Closed Thread