HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Prospect Index 2012-2013

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 05:23 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Professional opponents and coaches have a tendency to make things more difficult. I get the definite sense around here that people would rather see Armia dominating kids in the CHL because his counting numbers would be through the roof. Eight goals in 19 games is good.

Is Teravainen a bust? Pulkkinen? Both are are very good prospects, and have worse numbers than Armia. I think people need to remember that he's playing in a league on par with the AHL, and making an impact.
And how many times have you watched him?
Seems like you're looking at his numbers too.
He hasn't grown out of his lack of consistency and terrible decision making.

And to answer your questions, yes Pulkkinen looks terrible and has for two of three post draft seasons and Teräväinen had a difficult start to the season before being moved to the wing, finding his groove, then getting injured.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
And how many times have you watched him?
I'm not the one who said I'm starting to worry about him despite (likely) not watching a single one of his games.

Quote:
Seems like you're looking at his numbers too.
I think you're taking this out of context. The original commenter likely based his opinion off little else than his counting numbers. I replied that (1) that's kind of silly when one considers he's playing against professionals, including a good number of locked-out NHL'ers; and (2) his numbers are actually pretty good compared to some other prospects.

I'm only "looking at his numbers" to the extent necessary to demonstrate that just looking at his numbers and complaining is pretty silly.

Quote:
He hasn't grown out of his lack of consistency and terrible decision making.
Consistency and hockey-sense issues? From a prospect? Ohz noezz!! Unheard of.

Quote:
And to answer your questions, yes Pulkkinen looks terrible and has for two of three post draft seasons and Teräväinen had a difficult start to the season before being moved to the wing, finding his groove, then getting injured.
We get it, you watch more of the prospects than most of us combined. You also seem to take it rather personal when people hold views that run counter to yours.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:03 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Consistency and hockey-sense issues? From a prospect? Ohz noezz!! Unheard of.
Those are two fairly large problems to have.
It's easy to write them off as part of being a young player, but when you look at other players with the same development curve, they've grown out of it by this stage.
That's not the case here.

Quote:
We get it, you watch more of the prospects than most of us combined. You also seem to take it rather personal when people hold views that run counter to yours.
It seems you just did the exact same thing.

Old
11-04-2012, 11:03 PM
McTank

Quote:
Why? How many of Assat's games have you watched this season? What's wrong with 8 goals in 19 games--18 when you consider he was injured early in one of them--for a 20 year old playing in a professional league vs men. (Not to mention a number of locked-out NHLers.)

Perhaps you'd prefer him being a man amongst boys in the QMJHL, dominating kids two and three years younger than him? But he's doing just fine in a men's league.
The goal production is fine but his PPG is worse than it was two years ago, I like to see steady development each year no matter what league he is in

Old
11-04-2012, 11:26 PM
ohlguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
A post from the prospects thread from someone who has watched many games from Dan Catenacci. Thought this was extremely impressive summary. Diamond in the rough possibly?

I've watched Daniel Catenacci quite a bit over the last few years to know that he was definately the steal of the 2011 NHL Draft. Some analysts had him going in the first round of the NHL Draft. This kid was the first overall pick in the 2009 OHL Draft for good reasons. He was also the fastest skater at the 2011 CHL Prospect game. I know he takes it serious about becoming a pro and trains during the summer with Gary Roberts. I will say it over and over that Cat is the most NHL ready Sabres prospect at the moment. At 5'10 191 Lbs Size is not an issue when his core strength is as strong as his. He skates with that low centre of gravity that makes it tough for opponents to knock him off the puck. Strong, super skilled, lightning fast, fearless, gritty and leader are the words that come to mind when I think of this kid. He will become a top six forward at the NHL level without a doubt. His GM in Owen Sound said in an interview that there isn't a better, more complete player in the OHL than Daniel Catenacci at the moment. He's been one of the main reasons the Attack is first overall in the the OHL standings and doing so well. Cat's always been one of my favourites, Buffalo's got a gem. 1G and 2A tonight.

My summary above about Cat has nothing to do with being a booster, this is about my oppinion and projecting that player. I've been a big fan and followed him since being a #1 OHL pick playing for the Soo Greyhounds. Sorry if it's all positive but this is how I see him through my eyes.

Old
11-05-2012, 08:27 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

If you want to give to Grigorenko's Movember. The poor thing has no donation so far.

http://ca.movember.com/mospace/5057889

Old
11-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
The goal production is fine but his PPG is worse than it was two years ago, I like to see steady development each year no matter what league he is in
That's actually not accurate--he's scoring at a slightly higher rate per game this year than two years ago--but that's not important. I'm not concerned about assist numbers. In fact, even though they both count as one point, most in the statistical community don't ascribe the same weight to assists as goals because goals are much more difficult to achieve than assists. Notably, his goals/game is the best it's been in his professional career. And if you want to go further inside the numbers, he's in the top-12 of his league in goals/game (min. 15 games), and every player ahead of him except one (Barkov, who's a stud) is, at minimum, three years older than him--and the majority are between 25-30.

The guy is coming here to score goals. We have more than enough table-setters both on the Sabres roster and in the pipe, but we have a dearth of natural goal-scorers. He likely needs to show more consistency on a shift-to-shift or game-to-game basis, but that can be said about many players who are 20 and play professionally. That said, his assist numbers, of all things, shouldn't be cause for concern.

Old
11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
That's actually not accurate--he's scoring at a slightly higher rate per game this year than two years ago--but that's not important. I'm not concerned about assist numbers. In fact, even though they both count as one point, most in the statistical community don't ascribe the same weight to assists as goals because goals are much more difficult to achieve than assists. Notably, his goals/game is the best it's been in his professional career. And if you want to go further inside the numbers, he's in the top-12 of his league in goals/game (min. 15 games), and every player ahead of him except one (Barkov, who's a stud) is, at minimum, three years older than him--and the majority are between 25-30.

The guy is coming here to score goals. We have more than enough table-setters both on the Sabres roster and in the pipe, but we have a dearth of natural goal-scorers. He likely needs to show more consistency on a shift-to-shift or game-to-game basis, but that can be said about many players who are 20 and play professionally. That said, his assist numbers, of all things, shouldn't be cause for concern.
This. Armia isn't the kind of player who's going to carry an offense in the NHL, and that's fine, because we don't need him to. We have playmaking centers in Hodgson, Grigs, and Ennis. A goal-scorer like Armia on any of their wings should be able to produce just fine.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:40 PM
jfb392

Grigorenko playing with Anton Zlobin (PIT) and Valentin Zykov (13) tonight, two players that I think he should work well with.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Grigorenko playing with Anton Zlobin (PIT) and Valentin Zykov (13) tonight, two players that I think he should work well with.
If there is a stream for this game tonight, will someone post it at the time.

Please and Thanks.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:00 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
If there is a stream for this game tonight, will someone post it at the time.

Please and Thanks.
It'll be streamed here, but it looks like they're charging this time.
Last year it was free.
It's also likely to be on any of the streaming sites for free, and if it isn't, I'm sure it'll be here in Russian.

It's also on NHLN-US, Sportsnet, and TVA.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
sabresfan129103

So what is this game? The best Canadian players in the Q vs the best Russian prospects?

Old
11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
sabresfan129103

Grigs!!!!

Old
11-05-2012, 06:34 PM
McTank

Grigs scores

Old
11-05-2012, 06:35 PM
McTank

He had loads of time to pick his spot on that one

Old
11-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Zip15

Just before the goal I was thinking how slow he was getting back. Worked out for home because the puck came the other way, which put Grigorenko in position for the odd man rush.

Bad turnover by MacKinnon leading to the goal.

Old
11-05-2012, 06:38 PM
McTank

Yakupov scores, 2-0

Old
11-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Just before the goal I was thinking how slow he was getting back. Worked out for home because the puck came the other way, which put Grigorenko in position for the odd man rush.

Bad turnover by MacKinnon leading to the goal.
Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing, he skated back pretty leisurely. I really hope he learns how to up his intensity.

Old
11-05-2012, 07:49 PM
tsujimoto74

Grigorenko now 1+1, after Naum(I think?) rips one from the point off of a faceoff win.

Old
11-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Lieuwen earns his second win of the season stopping 32 of 35 shots. Here's the recap of the GA:
Quote:
Moments after an Everblades power play, Florida continued to control the zone. Mathieu Roy sent a pass across the crease to Matt Beca, who fired a shot at an open net on the backside, but Greenville goaltender Nathan Lieuwen dove across and stopped the shot with the stick. However, Matt Marquardt picked up the rebound and shoved the puck into the net for the goal, giving the 'Blades a 1-0 lead at 13:59 of the first.
Quote:
Florida fired a shot on goal, and David Rutherford grabbed the loose puck at the top of the crease and flipped it into the net to give Florida the 2-1 advantage on the power play to end the physical first period.
Quote:
Florida responded with a power play goal of their own late in the period, as Bobby Raymond blasted a slapshot from the point which ripped past Lieuwen to pull Florida within one 4-3. The Everblades pulled the goaltender to allow for the extra attacker and was able to generate some scoring chances, but Greenville was able to hold on for the 4-3 win.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:17 AM
sabresfan129103

Grigorenko highlights from last night if anyone is interested.

edit: it looks like someone made a thread about this already.

Old
11-10-2012, 04:49 PM

I just read opinions on Anze Kopitar around the time of the 2005 draft and his situation was very similar. Some scouts thought he was lazy, didnt compete, wasent a great skater ect..

I also heard that Getzlaf dropped in the draft because he was lazy and had attitude concerns.

Seems to me like most big centers get the label as lazy

I didnt follow the draft much until about 2007 though.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Catenacci had 5 points tonight with a goal and four assists. 32 points in 20 games to put him in the top 5 scorers in the OHL, underrated much?

Old
11-10-2012, 11:47 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Catenacci had 5 points tonight with a goal and four assists. 32 points in 20 games to put him in the top 5 scorers in the OHL, underrated much?
I have never seen the kid play before outside of highlights. Maybe jfb can answer, but I'm curious to know how well his game would translate to the pro level. He is also playing on a very good Owen Sound team, so I'm assuming his numbers are a bit inflated.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:07 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I have never seen the kid play before outside of highlights. Maybe jfb can answer, but I'm curious to know how well his game would translate to the pro level. He is also playing on a very good Owen Sound team, so I'm assuming his numbers are a bit inflated.
His numbers are not inflated for that reason. Mature prospect with speed to burn and a very good underrated hockey sense, combined with a good work ethic, has more to do with it. He not only lost an important stud line mate in Mike Halmo last season, but he has flourished and leads his team by 7 points in scoring as a result. That speaks volumes. He has legs for days. He was the fastest skater in the 2011 CHL Prospects game. Scored a beauty of a short hander in that one. Very feisty and strong for his size and stature. Works like a mule... no quit attitude. This kid will be an NHLer and I am banking on him being a good one. Like Tyler Ennis, another Buffalo Sabres product, I was following him prior to his draft selection. Many felt he could be the steal of the 2011 Draft, and many are seeing why. Buffalo has an abundance of skill and talent, looking ahead. I am so jealous of your forward youth core, depth wise. That's coming from a guy who's favourite team bolsters the likes of No. 87 and 71.

Closed Thread