HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 2.0 - Unbelievable Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2012, 09:56 AM
kojiro

vCash: 500
I really think there's no wrong answer regarding his development, he seems to be smart enough and mature enough mentally to make the most out of whatever situation he'll find himself in next season. The new regime seems to have the open mindless to explore all option as well so if he has a real killer training camp and looks comfortable in the pre-season games I do think they'll consider giving him the mark scheifele treatment and then send him back or keep him if he looks like he belongs.
The only downside to going back to Sarnia is that he'll be on a bad team next season but the chance to play in the WJHC more than makes up for it in my opinion and he could always be traded to London or Oshawa at some point.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Best case scenario is a NHL season that starts in january... Then he get the chance to dominate the OHL, play the WJHC and start the NHL season at full regime when the vets are struggling to find their legs.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:10 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley View Post
Best case scenario is a NHL season that starts in january... Then he get the chance to dominate the OHL, play the WJHC and start the NHL season at full regime when the vets are struggling to find their legs.
Playing in the NHL this season and playing in the WJC are not mutually exclusive. e.g. Devante Smith-Pelly this year.

Last edited by kernkraft: 07-17-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old
07-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Jakomyte

I might have been open to the idea of keeping him with the Habs after a great camp if he played a full OHL season last year and scorched his competition. However, because he missed almost a full year on the ice, I'm pretty much 100% sure that I want him to have a full OHL season this year, regardless of how much he impresses at camp. Habs aren't built to win it all this year, so no need to bring him up only to burn one year of his ELC for a year where his contribution will be at its lowest.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I might have been open to the idea of keeping him with the Habs after a great camp if he played a full OHL season last year and scorched his competition. However, because he missed almost a full year on the ice, I'm pretty much 100% sure that I want him to have a full OHL season this year, regardless of how much he impresses at camp. Habs aren't built to win it all this year, so no need to bring him up only to burn one year of his ELC for a year where his contribution will be at its lowest.
I'm with you on that. He is a phenomenal talent, but he has a lot to prove in the OHL this year. He needs to prove it over a full season. Great starts are fine, but it's about how you finish. He hasn't played on a remotely successful team in the O yet and now he's coming off a big injury and without Yakupov. That's a lot to prove.

Give him the season there. See how he regulates the ups and downs and competes against the big boys (London, Kitchener, etc.) and go from there. We don't need him this year.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Greenstickytoes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
Just wait until next year, when we have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds in a supposedly better draft year.

Please Bergevin don't trade away the picks, let Timmins do his magic.
Im not a big fan of Timmins after the David fischer over Giroux and the Kostitsyn over Getzlaf and Mike Richards...
same for chipchura, komisarek, higgins. all these americans all the time and look.
theyre all out of the team for nothing in return..
If we would have just stuck with picking quebecers which timmins never does except for the last years because he got critisized.
we wouldnt be in this position.
we would have had P.Bergeron, C.Giroux, S.Gagne, D.Perron. ect... sure we wouldnt have Eric shouinard, david fischer or Pacioretty...
pacioretty would be the only loss in this, but we would have Perron to replace him.
to me timmins doesnt have any magic.

Old
07-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygigolo View Post
Im not a big fan of Timmins after the David fischer over Giroux and the Kostitsyn over Getzlaf and Mike Richards...
same for chipchura, komisarek, higgins. all these americans all the time and look.
If we would have just stuck with picking quebecers which timmins never does except for the last years because he got critisized.
we would have had P.Bergeron, C.Giroux, S.Gagne, D.Perron. ect... sure we wouldnt have Eric shouinard, david fischer or Pacioretty...
pacioretty would be the only loss in this, but we would have Perron to replace him.
Yeah, you are horribly biased and have no ****ing clue what you are talking about. Even the best scouts will make mistakes, but objectively Timmins has been among the best for the past decade, which has been proved and discussed on these boards countless times.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 07-18-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old
07-18-2012, 01:30 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
We would also have the mighty Keven Veilleux instead of PK Subban. Scored as many point as him in fewer games this year... in the AHL as a forward! How terrible at hockey must he be if he fails to be productive or useful at 6'5 tall, I wonder..

As for Giroux well he's not a quebecer. Its the amazing Francois Bouchard we would have picked.

Chipchura? He has more points and NHL games accrued than all Quebecer players combined from the 2004 draft. It was a pathetic draft for Quebec and QMJHL in general. Higgins is also better than any QMJHL picked after him. S Gagne was picked after Chouinard, another Quebecer we picked so your great method of blindly picking quebecers wouldn't have made a difference (in fact we could have drafted the ever impressive Mathieu Biron. Mathieu, not even Martin).

Pacioretty is equal or better to Perron, not sure why you think we'd be better off (I would argue Pacioretty is more valuable, being a rare breed of size, speed, strength, determination, ect). Bergeron has hated the Habs all his life and has stated it multiple times, wouldn't want him near the team and if we had to do over that 2003 2nd round pick its Shea Weber we should pick instead of Urquhart anyways. As for Kostitsyn? Well your pick : either Steve Bernier or the wonderful Marc-Antoine Pouliot.

Clearly drafting on nationality is superior to drafting the best player available...

Btw who should we have drafted instead of Galchenyuk? Quick tell us! We're going to have great fun digging up this thread later on...

Raphael Bussieres, Dillon Fournier or Alexandre Mallet with 3rd overall?

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 07-18-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old
07-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Corky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
We would also have the mighty Keven Veilleux instead of PK Subban. Scored as many point as him in fewer games this year... in the AHL as a forward! How terrible at hockey must he be if he fails to be productive or useful at 6'5 tall, I wonder..

As for Giroux well he's not a quebecer. Its the amazing Francois Bouchard we would have picked.

Chipchura? He has more points and NHL games accrued than all Quebecer players combined from the 2004 draft. It was a pathetic draft for Quebec and QMJHL in general. Higgins is also better than any QMJHL picked after him. S Gagne was picked after Chouinard, another Quebecer we picked so your great method of blindly picking quebecers wouldn't have made a difference (in fact we could have drafted the ever impressive Mathieu Biron. Mathieu, not even Martin).

Pacioretty is equal or better to Perron, not sure why you think we'd be better off (I would argue Pacioretty is more valuable, being a rare breed of size, speed, strength, determination, ect). Bergeron has hated the Habs all his life and has stated it multiple times, wouldn't want him near the team and if we had to do over that 2003 2nd round pick its Shea Weber we should pick instead of Urquhart anyways. As for Kostitsyn? Well your pick : either Steve Bernier or the wonderful Marc-Antoine Pouliot.

Clearly drafting on nationality is superior to drafting the best player available...

Btw who should we have drafted instead of Galchenyuk? Quick tell us! We're going to have great fun digging up this thread later on...

Haha, well put.

Now, send this to Rejean Tremblay (I suggest you translate it first).

Old
07-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I agree with most of what you are saying...yet, but please....the bolded part makes no sense whatsoever. You draft a guy, and even if he didn't like you, he becomes a fan. You don't draft him AND he goes to Boston, of course he'll note that he never liked the Habs. Every Nords fan won't like the Habs, just normal. But do you think he would have asked for a trade if we would have picked him?

Should we go solely for Habs fans in our next picks. 'Cause I tell you, there's less and less Habs fans throughout the world. The next kids were not born when we won our last cup. Habs don't mean what it used to mean to those kids who are now solely are going with what their dad tells them.

But the essence of your post, as Q bias as I am, you are totally right. But even me, there's plenty of Quebecers I don't want and I'm perceived as one of the more biased Q guy so don't mind him......it has to be either Réjean Tremblay or JC Lajoie.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Shutdown

Quote:
No one's mentioned this yet:

Timmins didn't draft Higgins or Komisarek. Chipchura is Canadian. Pacioretty is better than Perron and so is McDonagh, so why even bring Perron up? Timmins wasn't with the Habs when Gagne was drafted.

You can't find 5 scouts in the NHL with a better drafting record than Timmins.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:58 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
No one's mentioned this yet:

Timmins didn't draft Higgins or Komisarek. Chipchura is Canadian. Pacioretty is better than Perron and so is McDonagh, so why even bring Perron up? Timmins wasn't with the Habs when Gagne was drafted.

You can't find 5 scouts in the NHL with a better drafting record than Timmins.
But he can find 5 posters who do!

Old
07-18-2012, 09:12 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
I wish we had a magical scout that could've moved Hearst, Ontario to Quebec and taken Giroux and all the rest of the Quebecers

Old
07-18-2012, 10:50 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I agree with most of what you are saying...yet, but please....the bolded part makes no sense whatsoever. You draft a guy, and even if he didn't like you, he becomes a fan. You don't draft him AND he goes to Boston, of course he'll note that he never liked the Habs. Every Nords fan won't like the Habs, just normal. But do you think he would have asked for a trade if we would have picked him?

Should we go solely for Habs fans in our next picks. 'Cause I tell you, there's less and less Habs fans throughout the world. The next kids were not born when we won our last cup. Habs don't mean what it used to mean to those kids who are now solely are going with what their dad tells them.

But the essence of your post, as Q bias as I am, you are totally right. But even me, there's plenty of Quebecers I don't want and I'm perceived as one of the more biased Q guy so don't mind him......it has to be either Réjean Tremblay or JC Lajoie.
Haha yeah. Players fandom when they are drafted is not really important.. Still Bergeron is a Nordique fan and now a Bruin. I reserve the right to not want him on our team even if he's a good player

As for Quebecers well I actually think the Habs should always have at least a few on the team. I'm also realistic enough to realise this isn't as easy as it sounds with the LHJMQ producing less and less talent.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 07-18-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old
07-18-2012, 11:01 AM
No Team Needed

Comments:

leafs should definitely draft this kid

if burke doesnt draft him im gonna kill myself!!!!

Whether he's in Sarnia or Montreal I don't care, I'll watch the kid either way.

Old
07-18-2012, 11:19 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

Comments:

leafs should definitely draft this kid

if burke doesnt draft him im gonna kill myself!!!!

Whether he's in Sarnia or Montreal I don't care, I'll watch the kid either way.
I wonder if he killed himself....

Old
07-18-2012, 11:35 AM
windycity

Just for kicks I rewatched the 1st round last night (well only where we picked and the lead-up and follow-up) as well as a pre-draft combine interview Gally had with Craig Button. Reminded me why I'm so stocked we got him. I know this is pure fan boy homerism but I really feel that this draft (not just Gally but Colberg, Thrower etc) and getting Bergevin as GM was a turning pt for us, that the next few years are going to see us as very legit Cup contenders. I may be horribly wrong but I've got that feeling.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:29 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

What's the vibe like around here? Is it like every other boards where guys feel smarter if they think Galchenyuk 'needs one more year in the OHL'? Im not saying he doesn't, but I find a lot of fans love throwing out that term. If he's good enough, he's good enough. Period.

I hope he makes teh Habs and makes an immediate impact.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
What's the vibe like around here? Is it like every other boards where guys feel smarter if they think Galchenyuk 'needs one more year in the OHL'? Im not saying he doesn't, but I find a lot of fans love throwing out that term. If he's good enough, he's good enough. Period.

I don't think anyone who feels that Galchenyuk needs another year in the OHL is trying to be smarter than anyone else.

It's just common sense that he'll need another year in juniors because he almost missed a complete season last year.

The one year of juniors he played at age 16 cannot prepare him for a full 82 game season at the pro level.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:19 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Yeah and some people feel more original and creative claiming he's NHL ready I guess.

I'm of the ''another year in junior'' opinion, if only because what he needs most after a year of injury is playing time. He can play 20+minutes a game in Sarnia but with the Habs he likely won't get that much ice time. Playing at the world junior is going to be an excellent experience for him as well.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

For me, it's a matter of controlling expectations. If we start now thinking he's ready, and if he has a good camp, it's going to be easy to hype him too much and forget that plenty of rookies have started on fire to gaz out in the middle of the season. Realistically, it just makes so much sense to be conservative with him and let him play another year in Junior.

Old
07-18-2012, 07:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
For me, it's a matter of controlling expectations. If we start now thinking he's ready, and if he has a good camp, it's going to be easy to hype him too much and forget that plenty of rookies have started on fire to gaz out in the middle of the season. Realistically, it just makes so much sense to be conservative with him and let him play another year in Junior.
Better he makes it when he's 100% ready. Wouldn't it be nice if he won the Norris

Old
07-18-2012, 08:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Better he makes it when he's 100% ready. Wouldn't it be nice if he won the Norris
I must have missed the Confirmed with Link: Galchenyuk to play defense in NHL! Thread.

Norris?

Old
07-18-2012, 08:32 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
I must have missed the Confirmed with Link: Galchenyuk to play defense in NHL! Thread.

Norris?
Hahaha Calder

I had just finished that nigh impossible NHL sporcle trivia test. I think my brain got messed up from all the hockey information.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

yeah i agree if hes THAT good in his training camp showings, i could see bergevin shifting pieces to accomodate him into the line up, i mean who knows, i dont want to get too high on him, and i dont want to get too low on him, ..but the least i expect from him, is to be top 5 in the OHL in scoring next year, even that would be great, but if nugent hopkins can play in the NHL at 170 pounds soaking wet, who's to say a clearly better in shape kid like galchenyuk cant?

people will say because we dont need him right now, who knows, maybe we do

i wont be upset over anything that happens on his account, all roads dont seem like it will hinder him at all

just still unbeleivably happy we got to nab him at all. you could clearly see bergevin was worried he would go 2nd.

Closed Thread