HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 2.0 - Unbelievable Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
  #151
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Stamkos is unique among hockey players in terms of goal-scoring ability. So no. I don't think we'll see 60 goal seasons from him, or even 50.

He is a talented offensive player, but I think he'll be a 30-40 goal scorer.
30 goal men at center are pretty rare in this day and age, if Galchenyuk does that with any kind of regularity he`ll be a pretty special player.

We should be pretty happy if he consistently hits 25-30 per 82 games.

Talks to Goalposts is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
  #152
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I'm not 100% certain about this, but signing now has 1 small bonus. I think it can potentially save them cap space moving forward if they sign him now and he does not play in the NHL.

Even though his ELC will slide to the following year, his signing bonus is paid out - which actually lowers the overall value of his 3 year deal when it kicks in officially. If he goes back to junior for 2 more years (and his deal slides again) his cap hit is reduced slightly again.

I don't think it's a significant amount but who knows if teams factor that in when signing players to ELCs that can potentially slide.
Forgive me for not completely understanding, are you saying the bonuses applied to his y1 and y2 (in case he doesn't make it in the second year as well) are effectively reducing the overall cap hit to his ELC? Or are we talking about cap inflation here?

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 05:39 PM
  #153
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Forgive me for not completely understanding, are you saying the bonuses applied to his y1 and y2 (in case he doesn't make it in the second year as well) are effectively reducing the overall cap hit to his ELC? Or are we talking about cap inflation here?
I'm really tired so it's not surprising that I wasn't clear.

No, not inflation.

Look at Tinordi's deal for an example:

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2140

He received a 90k signing bonus. In the first year of his deal he received his signing bonus, but not salary (because he played in the OHL). His deal slid forward one year.

But, his signing bonus was paid out. So, the three year deal now is 90k less (overall) - 30K per year less as far as cap hits are concerned.

Leblanc's cap hit is impacted in the same way.

Clear as mud?

Regardless, it is such a insignificant amount I doubt teams take it into consideration.


Last edited by Mue: 07-13-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Mue is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 06:07 PM
  #154
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I'm really tired so it's not surprising that I wasn't clear.

No, not inflation.

Look at Tinordi's deal for an example:

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2140

He received a 90k signing bonus. In the first year of his deal he received his signing bonus, but not salary (because he played in the OHL). His deal slid forward one year.

But, his signing bonus was paid out. So, the three year deal now is 90k less (overall) - 30K per year less as far as cap hits are concerned.

Leblanc's cap hit is impacted in the same way.

Clear as mud?

Regardless, it is such a insignificant amount I doubt teams take it into consideration.
Like I thought, you were pretty clear it's just my lack of understanding in how the ELC works with the bonuses but I get it now. So it's about a 2.7 % decrease in his cap hit if my numbers are correct and compared to the overall cap that would be a small fraction for an ELC. Yeah, doubt that matters much.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 06:12 PM
  #155
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Like I thought, you were pretty clear it's just my lack of understanding in how the ELC works with the bonuses but I get it now. So it's about a 2.7 % decrease in cap hit if my numbers are correct. Yeah, doubt that matters much.
Yeah. It's just the signing bonus though (not the performance bonus - they carry forward with the base salary).

I think (someone with better knowledge of ELCs will hopefully correct me) that for ELCs, a signing bonus can only be 10% of the base salary.

Mue is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 07:01 PM
  #156
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
30 goal men at center are pretty rare in this day and age, if Galchenyuk does that with any kind of regularity he`ll be a pretty special player.

We should be pretty happy if he consistently hits 25-30 per 82 games.
Mmmm...in the last 3 years there have been between 24 and 30 players to reach the 30 goal mark, so it's rare in and of itself. In those years there's been between 5 and 10 of those guys who are centermen. So they're somewhere between a tidge under-represented to not really under-represented at all.

The point is that the way Galchenyuk plays leads me to believe that he's going to score a lot of goals. He scores them in a variety of ways, off the rush, off rebounds, one-timers, wrist-shots, back-hands, and dekes.

It's good, because he'd be the first guy since Turgeon/Damphousse to score 30 for us.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 07:25 PM
  #157
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,312
vCash: 500
Because Pacioretty and Cole haven't scored 30 goals right?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 07:31 PM
  #158
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Because Pacioretty and Cole haven't scored 30 goals right?
I didnt know Cole and Pacioretty were center

danyhabsfan is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
  #159
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Because Pacioretty and Cole haven't scored 30 goals right?
It's interesting: the entire context was discussing centermen, and their propensity to score goals. I leave out one little tag, "centerman," and despite the preceding context, you assumed I meant in all positions.

Clearly I mean centermen. And yes, Turgeon and Damphousse were the last people to pot 30 goals from the center position for us, in the 1996 season.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
  #160
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
I didnt know Cole and Pacioretty were center
And if you, habsolument, needed any more evidence: ^^^ here's your sign.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 10:21 PM
  #161
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,634
vCash: 500
http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...sole?id=183193

Galchenyuk "Means" it.

19 Times in 2 minutes "I mean". Title for the new thread?

LaurentHabs is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 11:10 PM
  #162
la25ecoupe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...sole?id=183193

Galchenyuk "Means" it.

19 Times in 2 minutes "I mean". Title for the new thread?
I mean huh the questions are stupid..

la25ecoupe is offline  
Old
07-13-2012, 11:18 PM
  #163
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg
 
LaurentHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
I mean huh the questions are stupid..
Most of them are I loved his answers. Basically like "Dude, we're just 1 week after the draft, chill the f*&^ out, I wont make the team tomorrow"

LaurentHabs is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 01:48 AM
  #164
AJMHABS
25days!! New life
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
30 goal men at center are pretty rare in this day and age, if Galchenyuk does that with any kind of regularity he`ll be a pretty special player.

We should be pretty happy if he consistently hits 25-30 per 82 games.
It is pretty rare. In fact, looking back on the last 3 seasons, only 5 centers scored 30+ goals last season:

Steven Stamkos, 60 goals
Evgeni Malkin, 50 goals
Jason Spezza, 34 goals
John Tavares, 31 goals
Logan Couture, 31 goals

While 9 centers scored 30+ goals in 2010-2011:

Steven Stamkos, 45 goals
Ryan Kesler, 41 goals
Jeff Carter, 36 goals
Eric Staal, 33 goals
Jonathan Toews, 32 goals
Sidney Crosby, 32 goals
Logan Couture, 32 goals
Jeff Skinner, 31 goals
David Backes, 31 goals

And 6 scored 30+ goals in 2009-2010:

Sidney Crosby, 51 goals
Steven Stamkos, 51 goals
Anze Kopitar, 34 goals
Nicklas Backstrom, 33 goals
Jeff Carter, 33 goals
Mike Richards, 31

That is some pretty elite company to be included into. If Galchenyuk can be a perennial 30+ goals scorer, he will also be a PPG player without a doubt. He has the makings to be an elite center.


Last edited by AJMHABS: 07-15-2012 at 12:20 PM.
AJMHABS is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 09:06 AM
  #165
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Balearic Islands
Posts: 23,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Is this true, D? From all the videos I've seen his wrist shot is a lazerbeam, and that backhand is off the charts too.

Here's some speculation based off just that: If he's capable of scoring 30-40 goals, but is more viewed as a playmaker, wouldn't that mean he can be a .ppg player at some point?
I was watching him at the development camp and his shot did look good but everything i've heard and read says he's more a playmaker. The kid appears to be a special talent though, so he's likely going to put up lots of points from setting up plays and finishing them. I don't see why his upside wouldn't be a ppg player as he was considered one of the top 16 year olds in the world and even though he's had a major injury, it shouldn't discount his high skill level.

Here's some scouting reports,

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2012/NHL-D...lex-Galchenyuk
http://thehockeywriters.com/alex-gal...spect-profile/

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
Whether he signs now or at the same time next year doesn't change anything, unless he makes the team this season, so what's the rush?!
No rush but he still will likely be signed at some point in the near future I'd assume as it's better to get it out of the way. Perhaps they wait till camp is underway, but I could see him getting a couple games in and of course he'd have to be signed in order to do so.

montreal is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
  #166
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
I mean huh the questions are stupid..
They are lol.

MooseOllini is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 06:05 PM
  #167
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/hockey...14-164033.html

He might sign his ELC next week.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 06:20 PM
  #168
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
i'm starting to think he will make the team this year......

EveryDay is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 06:42 PM
  #169
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,519
vCash: 500
Been a long time since I've seen this, but at the development camp, I can say that 2 guys had already a NHL shot as far as precise and hard and it's Gally and Collberg. Again, don't remember seeing that in the past. Everybody had thinks to work on on their shot. The ones that had a hard one needed to perfect their precision etc. But I don't remember being that impressed by that trait from some of our players.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 06:58 PM
  #170
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,463
vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Been a long time since I've seen this, but at the development camp, I can say that 2 guys had already a NHL shot as far as precise and hard and it's Gally and Collberg. Again, don't remember seeing that in the past. Everybody had thinks to work on on their shot. The ones that had a hard one needed to perfect their precision etc. But I don't remember being that impressed by that trait from some of our players.
But even if they do have a shot, do you think it's bad for their development to make it to the NHL so quickly? I know Collberg will be playing in Sweden with adults, so maybe it would be better for him to stay there. Galchenyuk would be playing against weaker players but he hasn't played in a year so it's a bit different.

Stjonnypopo is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 07:02 PM
  #171
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
He has the physical ability, and from everything I've read, the work ethic to boot. He's one of the very rare young talents that truly has it in them to be that special. If he's able to fulfill that potential the sky really is the limit.
Remember what Trevor Timmins said about Gally?

To paraphrase: He doesn't simply want to make the NHL, he wants to be on the best players in the league.

SB164 is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 07:04 PM
  #172
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
But even if they do have a shot, do you think it's bad for their development to make it to the NHL so quickly? I know Collberg will be playing in Sweden with adults, so maybe it would be better for him to stay there. Galchenyuk would be playing against weaker players but he hasn't played in a year so it's a bit different.
Was just talking about their wristers here. CLEARLY for me, there is NO WAY I have Gally starts the year with us. NO NEED whatsoever. He lost a freakin year of development. Let the guy play in Sarnia, and play him next year in the NHL if you want. But we are not going anywhere this year WITH OR WITHOUT a season. Kid is in Sarnia this year period.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 07:08 PM
  #173
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Mmmm...in the last 3 years there have been between 24 and 30 players to reach the 30 goal mark, so it's rare in and of itself. In those years there's been between 5 and 10 of those guys who are centermen. So they're somewhere between a tidge under-represented to not really under-represented at all.

The point is that the way Galchenyuk plays leads me to believe that he's going to score a lot of goals. He scores them in a variety of ways, off the rush, off rebounds, one-timers, wrist-shots, back-hands, and dekes.

It's good, because he'd be the first guy since Turgeon/Damphousse to score 30 for us.
If you're referring only to centers, Plekanec came close.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 07:13 PM
  #174
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,264
vCash: 500
When we speak of a PPG it's well to consider the linemates he's get. If he plays with the liemates Plekanec had at the end of the season, Galchenyuk had better get a lot of power play time.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
07-14-2012, 08:25 PM
  #175
shamrun
Registered User
 
shamrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...sole?id=183193

Galchenyuk "Means" it.

19 Times in 2 minutes "I mean". Title for the new thread?
He is just setting up a new avatar theme.

shamrun is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.