HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 2.0 - Unbelievable Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2012, 08:25 PM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If you're referring only to centers, Plekanec came close.
But alas...

Old
07-14-2012, 08:33 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
But even if they do have a shot, do you think it's bad for their development to make it to the NHL so quickly? I know Collberg will be playing in Sweden with adults, so maybe it would be better for him to stay there. Galchenyuk would be playing against weaker players but he hasn't played in a year so it's a bit different.
I said in another thread that Collberg may surprise in 2 to 3 years, and the main reason that I say that is that when he gets an opportunity, he converts. He's not going to go through that phase that Gallagher did last pre-season, and Pacioretty did in 09-10(can't hit the net). However, I agree with you: next year, Sweden is best for him.

Galchenyuk: I don't know. Like MB said, AG is going to decide where he plays this year. I voted "9 games and back to the OHL," and I think that would be the best for his development.

What's Galchenyuk's AHL eligibility next year, anyone know?

Old
07-14-2012, 09:50 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Sidney Crosby, 51 goals
Steven Stamkos, 51 goals
Anne Kopitar, 34 goals
Nicklas Backstrom, 33 goals
Jeff Carter, 33 goals
Mike Richards, 31
About the time a woman makes it in the NHL. I don't know how I missed her, she seems awesome.

Old
07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
About the time a woman makes it in the NHL. I don't know how I missed her, she seems awesome.
Manon Rhéaume mate!

Old
07-14-2012, 10:09 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Manon Rhéaume mate!
That was just one period in one pre-season game. Anne Kopitar scored 34 goals, dude!

Old
07-15-2012, 12:11 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I never really understood how a 9 game stint helps a young player. It's just fans being selfish and wanting to see their prize. I don't think a player can learn anything in such a short period, or anything different from training camp/preseason for that matter. Maybe you can argue it will make him hungrier, but Alex seems like he wants it bad enough already. If anything it will impact him negatively, especially if he plays well but the plan from Day 1 is to have him go back to junior. Not only that, he's coming off a major injury, there's no need to risk his health in a fast paced game against grown men.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I never really understood how a 9 game stint helps a young player. It's just fans being selfish and wanting to see their prize. I don't think a player can learn anything in such a short period, or anything different from training camp/preseason for that matter. Maybe you can argue it will make him hungrier, but Alex seems like he wants it bad enough already. If anything it will impact him negatively, especially if he plays well but the plan from Day 1 is to have him go back to junior. Not only that, he's coming off a major injury, there's no need to risk his health in a fast paced game against grown men.
A nine game stint helps the player better understand their ultimate competition in the highest league possible. It helps them understand what they have to work on if they get sent down. It just, overall, gives them a better understanding of what it is they are up against and how to better prepare for it. If you can't understand how that "helps," I truly think you have no knowledge of development whatsoever.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:49 AM
bsl

Quote:
Apparently she's hot too.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:53 AM
bsl

Quote:
It would be excellent for him. Tell him it's nine games, now get out there and bust your ass and learn. October hockey is pretty 'gentle' anyway, as teams are all doing the same thing, vets are stretching their legs...no probs with Gally doing 9 games. He'd love it, and learn a hell of a lot.

Old
07-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Not sure if true, but...

L.A. Lariviere ‏@L_A_theRiver
Missed it? ‪#Habs‬ soon to sign 1st rd pick A Galchenyuk, agent Igor Larionov told me. To meet M Bergevin next week ‪#NHL‬ http://tvasports.ca/tvasports/hock

Old
07-15-2012, 10:55 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
My total guess would be that he will look good enough at camp for the team to consider letting him get in some games to see how he handles it, then return him to juniors along with the wjc's, then have him make the team the following year. Granted none of this could end up happening, but I don't see the harm in giving him a couple games as he could be a full timer if not by the following season then it shouldn't be much longer as the Habs will most likely sorely need his skills in the lineup.

I'm sure they wouldn't let him play in an NHL game unless they felt his knee is 100% and at no additional risk from playing against NHLers since he is likely going to be either the biggest part of our future or close to it.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
TOTALLY AGREE le_sean: While I don't think neither negative or positive impacts are that big, in this market, there's more likely going to be negative impact especially if he does well and we never planned to keep him than the contrary. Alex is an intelligent young man. He knows what it takes to go this far. People who'll say that it will make him understand what it is to play in this league, well the last 2 preseason games are also an indication since you usually have your full lineup. And it's not like the teams are going full steam ahead in the first 10 games either. But Gally starts well and somehow Pleks and Gomez don't stand out...that's it. This market doesn't have, as a whole, the intelligence to understand that this kid HAS to go back and that no matter how great you are, losing 1 full year needs to be taken into a whole lot of consideration.

In the end, it is for our sole purpose to see the kids . You give the kid the 9 games when you REALLY think he can make it and you REALLY need additional games to see if he can or not. Not a kid that you KNOW in your right mind that needs to go back and play without the other star and see how he can handle it even if you know he will.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
TOTALLY AGREE le_sean: While I don't think neither negative or positive impacts are that big, in this market, there's more likely going to be negative impact especially if he does well and we never planned to keep him than the contrary. Alex is an intelligent young man. He knows what it takes to go this far. People who'll say that it will make him understand what it is to play in this league, well the last 2 preseason games are also an indication since you usually have your full lineup. And it's not like the teams are going full steam ahead in the first 10 games either. But Gally starts well and somehow Pleks and Gomez don't stand out...that's it. This market doesn't have, as a whole, the intelligence to understand that this kid HAS to go back and that no matter how great you are, losing 1 full year needs to be taken into a whole lot of consideration.
If he does well when you weren't planning to keep him, you just added another asset to your team.

The 4ish pre-season games he'll play + the 9 is close to 15 games. Plays 1/5th an NHL seasons (in terms of total amount of games played). He gets exposed to the NHL style. He learns where his weaknesses are. He learns more that he needs to do in order to succeed. He spends more time around Cole, Gorges, Gionta, Subban (i consider him a leader to young players), management, training staff and everything.

After 9 games send him to Sarnia where he can hopefully light it up there and at the WJC

Old
07-15-2012, 11:14 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
I never really understood how a 9 game stint helps a young player.
Ofcourse they do. They see how an NHL team prepares for their real games (not preseason crap). Coach remarks and ofcourse the pace. It gives me an idea of what really is in store for them. They're not meant to be superstars in those "trial" games. They're meant to be students.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:25 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Ofcourse they do. They see how an NHL team prepares for their real games (not preseason crap). Coach remarks and ofcourse the pace. It gives me an idea of what really is in store for them. They're not meant to be superstars in those "trial" games. They're meant to be students.
Coach remarks?
Well what about Jacques most players never heard him say a thing

Old
07-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Maybe I am of the minority of the posters here, but I believe Galchenyuk should be able to play a full season in the NHL. Why? Because the kid has a lot of will and character going along his tremendous talent. He's 100% healthy and physically NHL ready. Losing a year in junior is important, but developing in the NHL alongside Plekanec and Gionta on the 2nd line could be even more beneficial. We can all make our predictions and go by logic that he needs to prove he can do it all without Yakupov, and proving that his knee is 100%(which is already 100% like he mentioned for a million times), but the kid has already mentioned that he will come to training camp to make the team and play for the Canadiens.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:52 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Maybe I am of the minority of the posters here, but I believe Galchenyuk should be able to play a full season in the NHL. Why? Because the kid has a lot of will and character going along his tremendous talent. He's 100% healthy and physically NHL ready. Losing a year in junior is important, but developing in the NHL alongside Plekanec and Gionta on the 2nd line could be even more beneficial. We can all make our predictions and go by logic that he needs to prove he can do it all without Yakupov, and proving that his knee is 100%(which is already 100% like he mentioned for a million times), but the kid has already mentioned that he will come to training camp to make the team and play for the Canadiens.
If he's ready, he will stay. Our new managing staff will take the right decision for him. But they know they don't have to rush him, so if he's not ready he will go back to junior. I'm so excited about this guy I hope he make the team but in other way I don't want to waste the best offensive potential we had in years.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:04 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
He's arguably our best prospect in decades (offence anyways) and talent wise I'm sure he'll blow us out of the water right away... but... he's 18...still growing... coming off an injure year... so you how is it you expect him to make the leap from playing junior as a 16 year old to NHL... only one player in history has done that and AG isn't Gretzky. Let him learn, be patient.

Old
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
AJMHABS
#31 for Vezina

Quote:
Whoops, typo. Just edited it.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:20 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
But a real professional organization should not prepare differently between a regular season or a preseason game, in my opinion.

Obviously it is different to each individual player, but the preparation should be the exact same thing. The veterans know their role is to help these young kids in training camp. I doubt Gionta is going to goof off just because it's preseason. They have a responsibility to the organization.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:27 PM
le_sean

Quote:
He had a monstrous 16 year old season in the OHL. The thing is, teams don't usually have game plans that focus on shutting down 16 year old imports they barely know anything about. I think it's much more beneficial for him to go back to junior, become a leader and step up his game when he is checked tightly by opponents. The success of Sarnia will depend entirely on how well he does, and the success of their opponents will depend entirely on how well they shut him down. Let him fight through that.

Plus, as I've mentioned before, we as Habs fans know how important the WJC can be to a young player's development. Two of the best players on the team (Price and Subban) took another step in their development by playing in that tournament. We might have seen the same thing with Kristo, Gallagher and Tinordi as well.

Old
07-15-2012, 01:53 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Well, letting a young player play in the highest competition level gives the organization, the player himself and the fans a good indication of his progression and how he handles the big league. As of now, nobody knows how he will perform in NHL level, preseason will give an idea but then again, its nothing compared to a regular season game. Preseason, the prep might be the same but the competition level is definitely not the same.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:02 PM
HabsUK

What could he do in a 9 game NHL stint in order for the management to take a punt and keep him with the Habs rather than sending him back down to Sarnia? (Presuming he gets 9 games to learn and develop)

I doubt they would take stats into consideration too highly but say he puts up 10 points, does that make everyone reconsider?

Old
07-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
He had a monstrous 16 year old season in the OHL. The thing is, teams don't usually have game plans that focus on shutting down 16 year old imports they barely know anything about. I think it's much more beneficial for him to go back to junior, become a leader and step up his game when he is checked tightly by opponents. The success of Sarnia will depend entirely on how well he does, and the success of their opponents will depend entirely on how well they shut him down. Let him fight through that.

Plus, as I've mentioned before, we as Habs fans know how important the WJC can be to a young player's development. Two of the best players on the team (Price and Subban) took another step in their development by playing in that tournament. We might have seen the same thing with Kristo, Gallagher and Tinordi as well.
That simply is not correct. Teams ALWAYS focus on the other teams 1st line and top scorers. His age is irrelevant because he and Yakupov were clearly the go to guys on their team as they finished 1st and 3rd respectively in team scoring. Not to mention everyone on the planet knew who Yakupov was and Galchenyuk was a 1st overall selection in the OHL.

Old
07-15-2012, 02:14 PM
NotProkofievian

Yeah, if anything, I think Alex might be soaring sky-high right now. Alex has a great work ethic, a good head on his shoulders, and an experienced father guiding him: but there may be nothing like experiencing not being the go to guy to allow him to see the gap between where he is currently, and where he wants to be for what it is.

That's what I think he could get from it. A real definition of what it means to be the player he wants to be.

Closed Thread