HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 2.0 - Unbelievable Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

vCash: 500
I don't see anyway they keep him around after 9 games unless our record is great and he's playing a crucial role in it. Just doesn't make sense to burn a year off the ELC on a mediocre year.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Galchenyuk will not be with the big team unless a couple of centers go down and he is lights out in the pre-season.

MB wants to make the playoffs and will not be experimenting with Galchenyuk unless this truly is the best option.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
I don't see anyway they keep him around after 9 games unless our record is great and he's playing a crucial role in it. Just doesn't make sense to burn a year off the ELC on a mediocre year.
Yeah, I think so. He'd have a big year with the 9 games, WJC, and probably an opportunity to play in the AHL playoffs. As good as Galchenyuk is, I don't think Sarnia will be going far in the playoffs next year. With good goaltending from Desjardins, and influx of talent, the dogs might make a good push this year.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
I would love him to play in junior this year and start in the AHL next year..

Everyone want him to be so good that we put him in the NHL from the start but I would love to have him dominate the AHL before going to the NHL..

Cant hurt him and if he does not dominate right away it will give him some more humility and it will be much easier on him mentally than going up and down between NHL and AHL..

We are in no rush

If he is as good as his potential show well he will not spend too much time in the AHL anyway :p

Old
07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Galchenyuk will not be with the big team unless a couple of centers go down and he is lights out in the pre-season.
Agreed.

Quote:
MB wants to make the playoffs and will not be experimenting with Galchenyuk unless this truly is the best option.
Disagree with the bolded. I don't think MB really gives a **** about the playoffs this year. Politically speaking, he doesn't "own" this year's results. He's been pretty passive, picking up necessary pieces, yes, but minor ones all the same. It seems like he's okay with either or. Make playoffs? Awesome. Don't make playoffs? Could be 3 picks in the top 44.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:44 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
I would love him to play in junior this year and start in the AHL next year..
He can't. He won't be 20 until february of 2014. He needs to be 20 by December 31st of 2013 in order to be eligible for the 2013-2014 AHL season.

...bummer.

Old
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
He can't. He won't be 20 until february of 2014. He needs to be 20 by December 31st of 2013 in order to be eligible for the 2013-2014 AHL season.

...bummer.
thank you didnt know that

sucks that he will be in the loophole between NHL and Junior

Old
07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
thank you didnt know that

sucks that he will be in the loophole between NHL and Junior
Yeah, I would've even been in favour of letting him "over-ripe" Detroit style. Which, for a guy of Alex's talent, a post-draft year in junior, and then a season in the AHL definitely qualifies.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Yeah, I would've even been in favour of letting him "over-ripe" Detroit style. Which, for a guy of Alex's talent, a post-draft year in junior, and then a season in the AHL definitely qualifies.
Yeah, but when was the last time Detroit had a blue-chip can't miss prospect like Galchenyuk? While the patient approach proved to be appropriate for the development of guys like Zetterberg, Kronwall, Filppula, Helm and so many others, there's no way to know how they would handle someone like Gally, since they haven't had access to this type of consensual talent for ages now.

I may be missing other ones, but the first I can think of is Yzerman who was drafted 4th overall in '83. And he did not play a single AHL game, he made the jump directly to the NHL after being drafted. (*just to be clear, I'm not comparing Gally with Yzerman here)

Old
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Yeah, but when was the last time Detroit had a blue-chip can't miss prospect like Galchenyuk? While the patient approach proved to be appropriate for the development of guys like Zetterberg, Kronwall, Filppula, Helm and so many others, there's no way to know how they would handle someone like Gally, since they haven't had access to this type of consensual talent for ages now.

I may be missing other ones, but the first I can think of is Yzerman who was drafted 4th overall in '83. And he did not play a single AHL game, he made the jump directly to the NHL after being drafted. (*just to be clear, I'm not comparing Gally with Yzerman here)
That's true. As well, playing wing with limited minutes didn't seem to hurt Seguin any, either.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
ChoseLa

I he stays in Montreal it's as 3rd line center insolated by vets, like Moen and Gio, and DD is moved to wings. But again i'm pretty sure Leblanc is more fited for that kind of role at this point.

Old
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
No he doesn't.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
No he doesn't.
If you don't think Bergevin wants to make the playoffs then you are a very silly person.

Old
07-15-2012, 05:30 PM
RBR

Quote:
If you don't think Bergevin wants to make the playoffs then you are a very silly person.
Well if he wants the roster in place to make the playoffs, then he is a very silly person.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:44 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Well, you need to state things more succinctly. Of course he might "want" to make the playoffs, he probably "wants" to win the stanley cup this year. But when you say "Bergevin wants to make the playoffs this year" and then outline what strategy regarding AG he will therefore take, it means something different. It means he's actively trying to build a roster with the purpose of making the playoffs this year.

That's not what MB's done, at least not on purpose. He's left most of what we need to get to a playoff position by design to chance, and patched up minor holes with good role players.

The owner of a startup business may want to hit payback in year 1, but he's probably come to terms with the reality of his cash flow forecast, and therefore, not hitting payback in year one doesn't really factor into his decision making process at all.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Well, you need to state things more succinctly. Of course he might "want" to make the playoffs, he probably "wants" to win the stanley cup this year. But when you say "Bergevin wants to make the playoffs this year" and then outline what strategy regarding AG he will therefore take, it means something different. It means he's actively trying to build a roster with the purpose of making the playoffs this year.

That's not what MB's done, at least not on purpose. He's left most of what we need to get to a playoff position by design to chance, and patched up minor holes with good role players.

The owner of a startup business may want to hit payback in year 1, but he's probably come to terms with the reality of his cash flow forecast, and therefore, not hitting payback in year one doesn't really factor into his decision making process at all.
Clearly by showing interest in both Jagr and Doan MB has shown a willingness to improve the team. You have to be a fool to think that he would prefer to miss the playoffs. If this was the case he would be trying to move vets like Gionta, Cole and Markov.

The fact is that this management team has a vision going forward and there weren't any options available that would help in the short term without sacrificing the future. I didn't say that MB will try to make the playoffs at all costs but he certainly wants to and will do everything in his power to do so as long as it fits into the larger plan.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
MarkersMark*

Quote:

Ding ding ding.

Quote:
Clearly by showing interest in both Jagr and Doan MB has shown a willingness to improve the team. You have to be a fool to think that he would prefer to miss the playoffs. If this was the case he would be trying to move vets like Gionta, Cole and Markov.

The fact is that this management team has a vision going forward and there weren't any options available that would help in the short term without sacrificing the future. I didn't say that MB will try to make the playoffs at all costs but he certainly wants to and will do everything in his power to do so as long as it fits into the larger plan.
What makes you think he isn't looking to offload a guy like Kaberle, Markov, or Gionta at the deadline next year? There aren't any takers now, but when we're floating around 11th-12th in the East the vultures are going to be circling, and it's up to MB to make them pay.

And where did you hear that MB was interested in bringing Jagr in? He wasn't.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Showing interest in 2 large-profile free agents is him doing his due-dilligence. He has preferred to not win bidding wars on them for one reason: making the playoffs isn't his first priority.

There is also a thousand different strategies between loading up for a playoff run, and doing a fire-sale. Being patient and allowing larger contracts to expire isn't indicative to me that he "wants to make the playoffs" in the sense that you obviously meant it originally.

Quote:
Jagr's contract wouldn't "sacrifice" our future. Doan's rumoured contract might've. Regardless, he's out of the race with both because, like I said, making the playoffs isn't his first priority. His first priority is building a winner long-term. Because of that, I think he'll make his decision on AG primarily based on what will be best for Galchenyuk's development, not whether we will have a small incrementally larger percentage chance to make the playoffs with or without him. Because the reality is that we were probably far out of a playoff spot to begin with pre-july 1st and nothing he's done since has changed that.

His moves tell me one thing: he's just fine with not making the playoffs this year, even if he "would like to."

Old
07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
whats all this got to do with galchenyuk! bah.

Old
07-15-2012, 07:40 PM
yianik

Quote:
Agreed.

Disagree with the bolded. I don't think MB really gives a **** about the playoffs this year. Politically speaking, he doesn't "own" this year's results. He's been pretty passive, picking up necessary pieces, yes, but minor ones all the same. It seems like he's okay with either or. Make playoffs? Awesome. Don't make playoffs? Could be 3 picks in the top 44.
Yep, I see it like this. No short term desperation moves made, so far. New GM of a bottom team should have 5 years to do his thing and the first year should be an absolute pass. His moves have been safe and strategic. Looks like he wants to avoid the big screw ups that Houle and Gainey blundered into.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

Don't use Jagr or Doan as indications of Bergevin's intentions. Clearly neither was in his gunsights. And why should they have been? Their salaries would have been an obstacle to his making more meaningful moves, such as trading for top 6 forwards or top 4 Dmen still in their prime. The players he added, Prust, Armstrong, and Bouillon, are affordable but insufficient to guarantee a spot in the playoffs because the teams that narrowly made or just missed the 2012 playoffs have also made moves. Let's wait a while until Bergevin's plans for the 2012-13 season unfold before we speak for him.

Old
07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
whats all this got to do with galchenyuk! bah.
Ya this crap is all mad off topic...

I was hoping to get some news on Gally when clicking on this thread...

Old
07-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
No he doesn't.
Yes, he wants to make the playoffs. Every GM wants their team to make the playoffs, if they don't, they nothing about hockey ... You play to win games, you play to win the stanley cup. You say he doesn't want us to make the playoffs, then you're saying that starting from the first game, we are tanking, which is quite stupid.
Even Scott Howson wants his team to make the playoffs, even thoung he knows his team don't have much chance of making the playoffs, he won't go and sign big names for big money and all that, that could hurt his team in the future. MB didn't go and sign big names because he believes in our core or because he prefere to do a trade .. He wants our team to make the playoffs, he just won't go and do crazy signing just to be sure to make the playoffs, there's a limit in what he can do.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Carboneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Been a long time since I've seen this, but at the development camp, I can say that 2 guys had already a NHL shot as far as precise and hard and it's Gally and Collberg. Again, don't remember seeing that in the past. Everybody had thinks to work on on their shot. The ones that had a hard one needed to perfect their precision etc. But I don't remember being that impressed by that trait from some of our players.
agreed 100%, was at the camp for every on-ice session and this is bang on. BTW Whitesnake were you wearing a michigan t-shirt on the first day of camp? I thought this might be you so I wanted to verify this lol.

Old
07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Yes, he wants to make the playoffs. Every GM wants their team to make the playoffs, if they don't, they nothing about hockey ... You play to win games, you play to win the stanley cup. You say he doesn't want us to make the playoffs, then you're saying that starting from the first game, we are tanking, which is quite stupid.
Even Scott Howson wants his team to make the playoffs, even thoung he knows his team don't have much chance of making the playoffs, he won't go and sign big names for big money and all that, that could hurt his team in the future. MB didn't go and sign big names because he believes in our core or because he prefere to do a trade .. He wants our team to make the playoffs, he just won't go and do crazy signing just to be sure to make the playoffs, there's a limit in what he can do.
Oh, christ. It seems like you just read this post, and went into attack mode. Pretty much everything you said, I explained after that Maker'sMark post.

Closed Thread