HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 2.0 - Unbelievable Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-15-2012, 03:15 PM
  #201
Ayatollah Chowmeini
Registered User
 
Ayatollah Chowmeini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MTL/MKE
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
I don't see anyway they keep him around after 9 games unless our record is great and he's playing a crucial role in it. Just doesn't make sense to burn a year off the ELC on a mediocre year.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 03:24 PM
  #202
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk will not be with the big team unless a couple of centers go down and he is lights out in the pre-season.

MB wants to make the playoffs and will not be experimenting with Galchenyuk unless this truly is the best option.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 03:34 PM
  #203
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
I don't see anyway they keep him around after 9 games unless our record is great and he's playing a crucial role in it. Just doesn't make sense to burn a year off the ELC on a mediocre year.
Yeah, I think so. He'd have a big year with the 9 games, WJC, and probably an opportunity to play in the AHL playoffs. As good as Galchenyuk is, I don't think Sarnia will be going far in the playoffs next year. With good goaltending from Desjardins, and influx of talent, the dogs might make a good push this year.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
  #204
jiboy
Patience
 
jiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: RN
Country: Canada
Posts: 889
vCash: 50
I would love him to play in junior this year and start in the AHL next year..

Everyone want him to be so good that we put him in the NHL from the start but I would love to have him dominate the AHL before going to the NHL..

Cant hurt him and if he does not dominate right away it will give him some more humility and it will be much easier on him mentally than going up and down between NHL and AHL..

We are in no rush


If he is as good as his potential show well he will not spend too much time in the AHL anyway :p

jiboy is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 03:42 PM
  #205
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Galchenyuk will not be with the big team unless a couple of centers go down and he is lights out in the pre-season.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
MB wants to make the playoffs and will not be experimenting with Galchenyuk unless this truly is the best option.
Disagree with the bolded. I don't think MB really gives a **** about the playoffs this year. Politically speaking, he doesn't "own" this year's results. He's been pretty passive, picking up necessary pieces, yes, but minor ones all the same. It seems like he's okay with either or. Make playoffs? Awesome. Don't make playoffs? Could be 3 picks in the top 44.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 03:44 PM
  #206
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
I would love him to play in junior this year and start in the AHL next year..
He can't. He won't be 20 until february of 2014. He needs to be 20 by December 31st of 2013 in order to be eligible for the 2013-2014 AHL season.

...bummer.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
  #207
jiboy
Patience
 
jiboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: RN
Country: Canada
Posts: 889
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
He can't. He won't be 20 until february of 2014. He needs to be 20 by December 31st of 2013 in order to be eligible for the 2013-2014 AHL season.

...bummer.
thank you didnt know that

sucks that he will be in the loophole between NHL and Junior

jiboy is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 03:53 PM
  #208
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
thank you didnt know that

sucks that he will be in the loophole between NHL and Junior
Yeah, I would've even been in favour of letting him "over-ripe" Detroit style. Which, for a guy of Alex's talent, a post-draft year in junior, and then a season in the AHL definitely qualifies.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 04:03 PM
  #209
Clipitar
Registered User
 
Clipitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Yeah, I would've even been in favour of letting him "over-ripe" Detroit style. Which, for a guy of Alex's talent, a post-draft year in junior, and then a season in the AHL definitely qualifies.
Yeah, but when was the last time Detroit had a blue-chip can't miss prospect like Galchenyuk? While the patient approach proved to be appropriate for the development of guys like Zetterberg, Kronwall, Filppula, Helm and so many others, there's no way to know how they would handle someone like Gally, since they haven't had access to this type of consensual talent for ages now.

I may be missing other ones, but the first I can think of is Yzerman who was drafted 4th overall in '83. And he did not play a single AHL game, he made the jump directly to the NHL after being drafted. (*just to be clear, I'm not comparing Gally with Yzerman here)

Clipitar is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 04:23 PM
  #210
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
Yeah, but when was the last time Detroit had a blue-chip can't miss prospect like Galchenyuk? While the patient approach proved to be appropriate for the development of guys like Zetterberg, Kronwall, Filppula, Helm and so many others, there's no way to know how they would handle someone like Gally, since they haven't had access to this type of consensual talent for ages now.

I may be missing other ones, but the first I can think of is Yzerman who was drafted 4th overall in '83. And he did not play a single AHL game, he made the jump directly to the NHL after being drafted. (*just to be clear, I'm not comparing Gally with Yzerman here)
That's true. As well, playing wing with limited minutes didn't seem to hurt Seguin any, either.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 04:28 PM
  #211
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,559
vCash: 500
I he stays in Montreal it's as 3rd line center insolated by vets, like Moen and Gio, and DD is moved to wings. But again i'm pretty sure Leblanc is more fited for that kind of role at this point.

ChoseLa is online now  
Old
07-15-2012, 04:52 PM
  #212
MarkersMark*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
MB wants to make the playoffs and will not be experimenting with Galchenyuk unless this truly is the best option.
No he doesn't.

MarkersMark* is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 05:16 PM
  #213
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
No he doesn't.
If you don't think Bergevin wants to make the playoffs then you are a very silly person.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 05:30 PM
  #214
RBR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
If you don't think Bergevin wants to make the playoffs then you are a very silly person.
Well if he wants the roster in place to make the playoffs, then he is a very silly person.

RBR is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 06:44 PM
  #215
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
If you don't think Bergevin wants to make the playoffs then you are a very silly person.
Well, you need to state things more succinctly. Of course he might "want" to make the playoffs, he probably "wants" to win the stanley cup this year. But when you say "Bergevin wants to make the playoffs this year" and then outline what strategy regarding AG he will therefore take, it means something different. It means he's actively trying to build a roster with the purpose of making the playoffs this year.

That's not what MB's done, at least not on purpose. He's left most of what we need to get to a playoff position by design to chance, and patched up minor holes with good role players.

The owner of a startup business may want to hit payback in year 1, but he's probably come to terms with the reality of his cash flow forecast, and therefore, not hitting payback in year one doesn't really factor into his decision making process at all.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 06:51 PM
  #216
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Well, you need to state things more succinctly. Of course he might "want" to make the playoffs, he probably "wants" to win the stanley cup this year. But when you say "Bergevin wants to make the playoffs this year" and then outline what strategy regarding AG he will therefore take, it means something different. It means he's actively trying to build a roster with the purpose of making the playoffs this year.

That's not what MB's done, at least not on purpose. He's left most of what we need to get to a playoff position by design to chance, and patched up minor holes with good role players.

The owner of a startup business may want to hit payback in year 1, but he's probably come to terms with the reality of his cash flow forecast, and therefore, not hitting payback in year one doesn't really factor into his decision making process at all.
Clearly by showing interest in both Jagr and Doan MB has shown a willingness to improve the team. You have to be a fool to think that he would prefer to miss the playoffs. If this was the case he would be trying to move vets like Gionta, Cole and Markov.

The fact is that this management team has a vision going forward and there weren't any options available that would help in the short term without sacrificing the future. I didn't say that MB will try to make the playoffs at all costs but he certainly wants to and will do everything in his power to do so as long as it fits into the larger plan.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  #217
MarkersMark*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Well, you need to state things more succinctly. Of course he might "want" to make the playoffs, he probably "wants" to win the stanley cup this year. But when you say "Bergevin wants to make the playoffs this year" and then outline what strategy regarding AG he will therefore take, it means something different. It means he's actively trying to build a roster with the purpose of making the playoffs this year.

That's not what MB's done, at least not on purpose. He's left most of what we need to get to a playoff position by design to chance, and patched up minor holes with good role players.

The owner of a startup business may want to hit payback in year 1, but he's probably come to terms with the reality of his cash flow forecast, and therefore, not hitting payback in year one doesn't really factor into his decision making process at all.
Ding ding ding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Clearly by showing interest in both Jagr and Doan MB has shown a willingness to improve the team. You have to be a fool to think that he would prefer to miss the playoffs. If this was the case he would be trying to move vets like Gionta, Cole and Markov.

The fact is that this management team has a vision going forward and there weren't any options available that would help in the short term without sacrificing the future. I didn't say that MB will try to make the playoffs at all costs but he certainly wants to and will do everything in his power to do so as long as it fits into the larger plan.
What makes you think he isn't looking to offload a guy like Kaberle, Markov, or Gionta at the deadline next year? There aren't any takers now, but when we're floating around 11th-12th in the East the vultures are going to be circling, and it's up to MB to make them pay.

And where did you hear that MB was interested in bringing Jagr in? He wasn't.

MarkersMark* is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
  #218
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Clearly by showing interest in both Jagr and Doan MB has shown a willingness to improve the team. You have to be a fool to think that he would prefer to miss the playoffs. If this was the case he would be trying to move vets like Gionta, Cole and Markov.
Showing interest in 2 large-profile free agents is him doing his due-dilligence. He has preferred to not win bidding wars on them for one reason: making the playoffs isn't his first priority.

There is also a thousand different strategies between loading up for a playoff run, and doing a fire-sale. Being patient and allowing larger contracts to expire isn't indicative to me that he "wants to make the playoffs" in the sense that you obviously meant it originally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The fact is that this management team has a vision going forward and there weren't any options available that would help in the short term without sacrificing the future. I didn't say that MB will try to make the playoffs at all costs but he certainly wants to and will do everything in his power to do so as long as it fits into the larger plan.
Jagr's contract wouldn't "sacrifice" our future. Doan's rumoured contract might've. Regardless, he's out of the race with both because, like I said, making the playoffs isn't his first priority. His first priority is building a winner long-term. Because of that, I think he'll make his decision on AG primarily based on what will be best for Galchenyuk's development, not whether we will have a small incrementally larger percentage chance to make the playoffs with or without him. Because the reality is that we were probably far out of a playoff spot to begin with pre-july 1st and nothing he's done since has changed that.

His moves tell me one thing: he's just fine with not making the playoffs this year, even if he "would like to."

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
  #219
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,917
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
whats all this got to do with galchenyuk! bah.

Redux91 is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 07:40 PM
  #220
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Agreed.



Disagree with the bolded. I don't think MB really gives a **** about the playoffs this year. Politically speaking, he doesn't "own" this year's results. He's been pretty passive, picking up necessary pieces, yes, but minor ones all the same. It seems like he's okay with either or. Make playoffs? Awesome. Don't make playoffs? Could be 3 picks in the top 44.
Yep, I see it like this. No short term desperation moves made, so far. New GM of a bottom team should have 5 years to do his thing and the first year should be an absolute pass. His moves have been safe and strategic. Looks like he wants to avoid the big screw ups that Houle and Gainey blundered into.

yianik is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 09:42 PM
  #221
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 15,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Clearly by showing interest in both Jagr and Doan MB has shown a willingness to improve the team. You have to be a fool to think that he would prefer to miss the playoffs. If this was the case he would be trying to move vets like Gionta, Cole and Markov.

The fact is that this management team has a vision going forward and there weren't any options available that would help in the short term without sacrificing the future. I didn't say that MB will try to make the playoffs at all costs but he certainly wants to and will do everything in his power to do so as long as it fits into the larger plan.
Don't use Jagr or Doan as indications of Bergevin's intentions. Clearly neither was in his gunsights. And why should they have been? Their salaries would have been an obstacle to his making more meaningful moves, such as trading for top 6 forwards or top 4 Dmen still in their prime. The players he added, Prust, Armstrong, and Bouillon, are affordable but insufficient to guarantee a spot in the playoffs because the teams that narrowly made or just missed the 2012 playoffs have also made moves. Let's wait a while until Bergevin's plans for the 2012-13 season unfold before we speak for him.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 09:51 PM
  #222
bhuya71
Registered User
 
bhuya71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
whats all this got to do with galchenyuk! bah.
Ya this crap is all mad off topic...

I was hoping to get some news on Gally when clicking on this thread...

bhuya71 is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 10:35 PM
  #223
Takashi
Registered User
 
Takashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
No he doesn't.
Yes, he wants to make the playoffs. Every GM wants their team to make the playoffs, if they don't, they nothing about hockey ... You play to win games, you play to win the stanley cup. You say he doesn't want us to make the playoffs, then you're saying that starting from the first game, we are tanking, which is quite stupid.
Even Scott Howson wants his team to make the playoffs, even thoung he knows his team don't have much chance of making the playoffs, he won't go and sign big names for big money and all that, that could hurt his team in the future. MB didn't go and sign big names because he believes in our core or because he prefere to do a trade .. He wants our team to make the playoffs, he just won't go and do crazy signing just to be sure to make the playoffs, there's a limit in what he can do.

Takashi is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 11:47 PM
  #224
Carboneer
Registered User
 
Carboneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Been a long time since I've seen this, but at the development camp, I can say that 2 guys had already a NHL shot as far as precise and hard and it's Gally and Collberg. Again, don't remember seeing that in the past. Everybody had thinks to work on on their shot. The ones that had a hard one needed to perfect their precision etc. But I don't remember being that impressed by that trait from some of our players.
agreed 100%, was at the camp for every on-ice session and this is bang on. BTW Whitesnake were you wearing a michigan t-shirt on the first day of camp? I thought this might be you so I wanted to verify this lol.

Carboneer is offline  
Old
07-15-2012, 11:53 PM
  #225
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Yes, he wants to make the playoffs. Every GM wants their team to make the playoffs, if they don't, they nothing about hockey ... You play to win games, you play to win the stanley cup. You say he doesn't want us to make the playoffs, then you're saying that starting from the first game, we are tanking, which is quite stupid.
Even Scott Howson wants his team to make the playoffs, even thoung he knows his team don't have much chance of making the playoffs, he won't go and sign big names for big money and all that, that could hurt his team in the future. MB didn't go and sign big names because he believes in our core or because he prefere to do a trade .. He wants our team to make the playoffs, he just won't go and do crazy signing just to be sure to make the playoffs, there's a limit in what he can do.
Oh, christ. It seems like you just read this post, and went into attack mode. Pretty much everything you said, I explained after that Maker'sMark post.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.