HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

All-Purpose Justin Schultz Thread | signs in Edmonton.

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

vCash: 500
Oh well, at least in a few years when all of Edmontons star players start finishing their entry level contracts, things should get interesting.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:02 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
lollll mhmm and im pretty sure cracking a spot in toronto or vancouver would be easier than oiler.
Are you insane??? on the Oil he has a guaranteed spot!!

Where do you get this from???

Old
06-30-2012, 06:03 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
r u sad :~~~~(
Did you mix up the "r" and the "u"?

Old
06-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Are you insane??? on the Oil he has a guaranteed spot!!

Where do you get this from???
i was being sarcastic oldtimer.

06-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Al14

I'm glad it's Edmonton. I could not imagine the grief I would have taken if he had signed with the Senaturds!

Old
06-30-2012, 06:13 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick

Just spoke to Justin Schultz. Thrilled to be coming to #YEG. Said #Oilers made no guarantees about ice-time or a role next season

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick

"I don't want to be the guy that gets a guaranteed spot. I want to earn it and you should have to earn it in the NHL." - Schultz[/QUO

Really....That is totall BS...The most guaranteed spot on any roster is the Oilers!!!
Not that hard to earn spot on the Oilers compared to other teams...Such BS!!!
Earn it against who?

The six invites they are bringing to training camp?

Old
06-30-2012, 06:15 PM
thewave

We have plenty of D. He is unproven and obviously dramatic to the point where people in the NHL are I bet, rolling eyes over this kid. Potentially a good play, still don't want him.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Earn it against who?

The six invites they are bringing to training camp?
remember barker?

Okay im gonna stop, i like the oilers to some extent.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:17 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
i was being sarcastic oldtimer.
Sorry Bro...My sarcasm meter is shot to hell!

Old
06-30-2012, 06:26 PM
mcleex

What a *****,
can't believe Leafs representatives had to go kiss his ass to come here. This is a storied franchise, we shouldn't go pitch anything to anyone. It should be an honor to play on this team (or a team like Montreal) if you don't wanna be here then **** you
With how bad this team has been the last 8 years people seem to forget that

Old
06-30-2012, 06:30 PM
jughead42

Clearly we live now in a bizarro NHL universe. Up is down, left is right, and coveted free agents sign in Edmonton. We'll see what he thinks of things in that carnival sideshow of a team in a few years. Their coach is some reject who got his credentials from a box of swiss breakfast cereal and their GM would rather collect draft picks and tank than actually win anything. That will get tired quick.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

There is an awful lot of pity-party going on here that has everything to do with Leafs fans' existential angst over supporting a team that hasn't shown us much success in, oh, most of our lifetimes, and nothing whatsoever to do with this player or his choice.

Stop characterizing the kid as a Prima Donna. This is a talented prospect with great upside who had the Leafs as one of his preferred destinations. That's a good thing, because it shows that he recognizes what this franchise means, and where it's going. Yes, he ended up signing with a different team, as was his right - and frankly was clearly the right decision to make at this time. No need to crucify the kid for making a smart call.

The same people slagging Schultz are the ones who would have been bragging loudest had he signed with Toronto. You're making the rest of the fan base look bad with your histrionics. I mean, what is this, the TSN comments section?!?

Nothing wrong with the player, and nothing wrong with his decision. Move on.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
Oh well, at least in a few years when all of Edmontons star players start finishing their entry level contracts, things should get interesting.
Jeez. Imagine if the leafs had that "problem" to work with.
Having so many elite young star players that we may face cap problems a few years down the road.

I guess that's one thing Burke's done correctly. He's amassed so many mediocre (at best) young players and prospects, that we'll almost assuredly have no cap problems down the road.
Good job Burkie.

I guess that's the difference between a GM that understands how to do a legitimate rebuild and one that has absolutely no idea what he's doing.
Even coveted free agents now want to go to Edmonton and be a part of the magic their GM has created.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
There is an awful lot of pity-party going on here that has everything to do with Leafs fans' existential angst over supporting a team that hasn't shown us much success in, oh, most of our lifetimes, and nothing whatsoever to do with this player or his choice.

Stop characterizing the kid as a Prima Donna. This is a talented prospect with great upside who had the Leafs as one of his preferred destinations. That's a good thing, because it shows that he recognizes what this franchise means, and where it's going. Yes, he ended up signing with a different team, as was his right - and frankly was clearly the right decision to make at this time. No need to crucify the kid for making a smart call.

The same people slagging Schultz are the ones who would have been bragging loudest had he signed with Toronto. You're making the rest of the fan base look bad with your histrionics. I mean, what is this, the TSN comments section?!?

It would be interesting to know how much interest Schultz would had in Toronto, if not for his friendship with Gardiner however.

I'm guess that factor played a part for sure here, to a point where they might not have made the final cut.

Next time Justin is back in town here, I'll ask him.

06-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Avec Fromage*

I don't know why one would choose Edmonton over teams where a fair amount of ice time would have been provided (Ottawa, Toronto). Does he not realize that the Oilers are going to be bottom feeders for several more years?

Old
06-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Avec Fromage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It would be interesting to know how much interest Schultz would had in Toronto, if not for his friendship with Gardiner however.

I'm guess that factor played a part for sure here.
Eh, I don't think it was as big a deal as people make it to be. When you don't really spend any time with a friend in over a year, you tend to lose touch. They were probably close when they were playing together, but I imagine that faded a bit over this season.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:51 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

So I have existential angst do I? Any pills that I can take for that?

There are plenty of people here who aren't surprised where he decided to go, enough for me anyway.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:51 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:

Seriously???

I want kids who compete for jobs...ALA Gardiner...and make the team!!! It's his choice to chose any team he Likes...But if he is going to take the EASY PEASY WAY TO THE NHL....they can have him!!!

Really...does anyone here want a kid who wants a guaranteed spot??? Cause that's exactly what he signed for...A GUARANTEED SPOT!!!

Had he signed with the Nucks, Sens, Leafs, Rangers ..etc etc with no guarantee...I would give kudo's to the kid...

This to me says he want's a spot given to him...Don't want or need any of those type of players!!!

Old
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

I'm guess that factor played a part for sure here.
From what we *do* know, he wanted to go to a city where there was a good opportunity to earn a spot and play meaningful minutes as a rookie, and b) where the fans understand and are passionate about the game. On that basis alone, there's every reason to think Toronto would have been high on his list, even without Gardiner being here.

And to be fair, while he played with Gardiner (and the Rangers' McDonagh and Stepan) in Wisconsin, we have - or I have, at least - no inside information about whether they were tight. Teammates aren't always necessarily friends. The rest is just supposition.

The fact remains, this was a legitimately touted prospect who had Toronto on his short list. That's a good thing. We should accept that, and move on.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
ThreeHundred

That sucks!!!!
We still need help on D

Old
06-30-2012, 06:53 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMapleJays View Post
Gardiner + Kadri + 1st round pick

RNH
funny that... it WILL be the next rumour thread, trying to re-unite the 2 mates... hope to deck BB stays to plan...but considering where the development of our OTHER young D could go, it's entirely possible...

Old
06-30-2012, 06:53 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
Eh, I don't think it was as big a deal as people make it to be. When you don't really spend any time with a friend in over a year, you tend to lose touch. They were probably close when they were playing together, but I imagine that faded a bit over this season.
Gardiner went to visit him during the all star break. They were close enough.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Disgruntled Observer

Quote:
Seriously???

I want kids who compete for jobs...ALA Gardiner...and make the team!!! It's his choice to chose any team he Likes...But if he is going to take the EASY PEASY WAY TO THE NHL....they can have him!!!

Really...does anyone here want a kid who wants a guaranteed spot??? Cause that's exactly what he signed for...A GUARANTEED SPOT!!!

Had he signed with the Nucks, Sens, Leafs, Rangers ..etc etc with no guarantee...I would give kudo's to the kid...

This to me says he want's a spot given to him...Don't want or need any of those type of players!!!
I don't believe you.
If Burke signed Schultz to a guaranteed contract, you would be praising both of them.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:56 PM
Leafs03

I wish him the worst luck! Selfish player. **** him. Hope he never makes it to the NHL.

Old
06-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
From what we *do* know, he wanted to go to a city where there was a good opportunity to earn a spot and play meaningful minutes as a rookie, and b) where the fans understand and are passionate about the game. On that basis alone, there's every reason to think Toronto would have been high on his list, even without Gardiner being here.

And to be fair, while he played with Gardiner (and the Rangers' McDonagh and Stepan) in Wisconsin, we have - or I have, at least - no inside information about whether they were tight. Teammates aren't always necessarily friends. The rest is just supposition.

The fact remains, this was a legitimately touted prospect who had Toronto on his short list. That's a good thing. We should accept that, and move on.
I thought it was Vancouver or Edmonton from the very start, because of vicinity to friends and family and growing up a BC kid.

I agree he made the right choice as Oilers are the best fit for opportunity and ice time wise for him, and there was a mutual need for them also based on what he can bring to that organization. Round peg in a round hole outcome here.

Kelowna, BC his hometown where his parents reside is about 500kms to Vancouver and 575kms to Edmonton, so almost smack in the middle with a 45 minute direct flight to either destination from there.

Last edited by Mess: 06-30-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Closed Thread