HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Justin Schultz Thread | signs in Edmonton.

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 07:04 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

vCash: 500
If Dallas Eakins had been made head coach instead of Carlyle, Eakins would been there as part of the presentation.

But he wasn't so...

Was gonna say, when Schenn finds him fer a hit, but instead it'll be.... Holzer...? Gardiner....?

Nah,we'll just wait fer Bobby Ryan or any other Duck

Old
06-30-2012, 07:13 PM
RASHBEEP

wish we could have signed him, oh well.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:22 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Contrary to what you think, Franson was never good defensively, even during his predator days hence I wasn't one of those guys jumping like crazy when we got him but cautiously optimistic. He still has a way to go before he can prove that he can be consistently good in the back end. Phaneuf was a who guy who would run and shoot like crazy while Regher held his ground, reason why Phaneuf got a lot of points in the calgary days. Liles is and was always a quiet defensemen, but he made quite a bit of errors in his avalanche days as well. The only time Liles was really hurting defensive was post concussion, which I still believe was due to the fact he came back earlier than he should have.

Carlyle preaches defense and is a former norris trophy winner himself. He didn't win it for points unlike today, he won it for defense. When Beauchemin went back to Anaheim, it took a solid while before he could be accumulated into Carlyle's defensive system. Francois ended up being an anchor for the team and was great for the young Cam Fowler. Don't know if you saw but we were bring a lot of forecheck and willing to block the puck a lot more under Carlyle although you could see the team was still returning to the old habits
I don't understand why your giving me a history lesson when I already know and said this. my point was these guys are average Defensively at best and I doubt Carlyle will change that, simply because of there pasts. like Phaneuf and Franson who played in defensive systems under very good coaches in Sutter and Trots I see no reason why Carlyle will be able to help them over those 2. and Liles has always been an offensive guy never known for being good defensively so not sure why your telling me what I already know and said. I have a problem going into next season with only 1 defensemen who is above average defensively. thats all I was saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Hall yea I can understand but even then he should have been sheltered, would help him a lot more. RNH on the other hand? I'd say majority expected him to be back in the juniors to fill out his frames. Yes contrary to what you think, developing in the juniors has beneficial factors for skilled prospect.
what I think is that when you've already proved your a top 10 talent in a league there's no point going back, unless your in the NHL. you don't get better imo by playing against players who are not as good as you. you get better by playing against better players. RNH was a PPG player in the NHL this season pretty hard not to be full of confidence after that and clearly showed he was ready for the NHL level. and this injury stuff well, there are alot more immature players running around in the WHL then the NHL so there's just as big of a risk Injury wise. most players are not at the top of there leagues when drafted as most of the better players are 19-20 which is why most get sent back. that however was not the case with RNH, he was already considered among the elite of the WHL.

Hall's first injury was because he did something stupid and dropped his gloves, and the 2nd was a fluke warmup injury he's been fine and when playing has been playing at a 70pt 30-40 goal pace so he's been fine aswell.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:30 PM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

If the Oilers still finish with a lottery pick next year with Yakupov and Schultz in the line up, I won't know what to think if they get Jones or Macinnon.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:30 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
I don't understand why your giving me a history lesson when I already know and said this. my point was these guys are average Defensively at best and I doubt Carlyle will change that, simply because of there pasts. like Phaneuf and Franson who played in defensive systems under very good coaches in Sutter and Trots I see no reason why Carlyle will be able to help them over those 2. and Liles has always been an offensive guy never known for being good defensively so not sure why your telling me what I already know and said. I have a problem going into next season with only 1 defensemen who is above average defensively. thats all I was saying

what I think is that when you've already proved your a top 10 talent in a league there's no point going back, unless your in the NHL. you don't get better imo by playing against players who are not as good as you. you get better by playing against better players. RNH was a PPG player in the NHL this season pretty hard not to be full of confidence after that and clearly showed he was ready for the NHL level. and this injury stuff well, there are alot more immature players running around in the WHL then the NHL so there's just as big of a risk Injury wise. most players are not at the top of there leagues when drafted as most of the better players are 19-20 which is why most get sent back. that however was not the case with RNH, he was already considered among the elite of the WHL.

Hall's first injury was because he did something stupid and dropped his gloves, and the 2nd was a fluke warmup injury he's been fine and when playing has been playing at a 70pt 30-40 goal pace so he's been fine aswell.
So his 3rd would be a career ending injury???
any player, anytime,runs the risk of a career ending injury...Hopefully it's not the Oilers players...but you never know!

Old
06-30-2012, 07:52 PM
LaPlante94

With Rielly we didn't really need Schultz. He wanted a main spot on the roster and wanted top minutes and that wouldn't be fair to guys like Holzer who have earned a shot on this roster. Schultz is good and all but his shot was pretty weak from what I saw and Rielly looks so much better and at a younger age also. Good look in Edmonton though they could use you and I'm happy you didn't pick Ottawa.

Old
06-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlante94 View Post
With Rielly we didn't really need Schultz. He wanted a main spot on the roster and wanted top minutes and that wouldn't be fair to guys like Holzer who have earned a shot on this roster. Schultz is good and all but his shot was pretty weak from what I saw and Rielly looks so much better and at a younger age also. Good look in Edmonton though they could use you and I'm happy you didn't pick Ottawa.
Shot pretty weak ??

He has an uncanny ability to get it through traffic and on the net..

He was one of the highest scoring Dmen in the NCAA the past 2 seasons, recording 18 and 16 goals or 34 goals over that time.

06-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Agreed.

In my mind, it would have been nice to have gotten Schultz and then potentially flip him at some point to a team lacking defensemen for a skill forward around the same age, or he could be a redundant piece that could be packaged for a star. We basically already have Gardiner, who has proven more than Schultz at the same age, and we have Morgan Rielly now, who could be our very own Erik Karlsson or Brian Leetch.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:21 PM
I Believe

There goes our tampering charge

Old
06-30-2012, 08:32 PM
philer Bozel
Coming Soon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleex View Post
What a *****,
can't believe Leafs representatives had to go kiss his ass to come here. This is a storied franchise, we shouldn't go pitch anything to anyone. It should be an honor to play on this team (or a team like Montreal) if you don't wanna be here then **** you
With how bad this team has been the last 8 years people seem to forget that
Exactly its all in the past. People are living in the present. Ya Toronto is one of the greatest franchise in hockey, but for the past 5 years its been a joke. Justin being unbiased compares the 2 franchise. One is LOADED with young top end Talent while the other has been trying to make the playoffs and yet somehow always finishes at the bottom. Franchise history aside who would you pick?

Old
06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...dmonton-oilers

Quote:
The Maple Leafs tried hard to beat everyone else to the punch.

With most of the NHL striving to sign University of Wisconsin defenceman Justin Schultz, the Leafs quietly made a conditional trade with the Anaheim Ducks, for a second-round pick, at last week's NHL draft for exclusive negotiating rights.

That bought the Leafs 24 hours over Saturday and Sunday to convince the 22-year-old defenceman that Toronto was where he should start his NHL career. Part of the pitch, clearly, was that the Leafs had opened up room for a right-handed shooting defenceman by trading Luke Schenn to the Philadelphia Flyers for forward James Van Riemsdyk.

The Leafs also knew Schultz was familiar with head coach Randy Carlyle from Anaheim prospect camps, and that defenceman Jake Gardiner had played with Schultz at Wisconsin and had tried to sell his fellow Badger on the pluses of becoming a Leaf.

The Leafs contacted Schultz's representatives from Newport Sports to set up a meeting last Sunday. Leaf GM Brian Burke, however, was told Schultz had waited for the opportunity to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and wanted to see that through.

The condition on the Leaf-Anaheim trade, of course, was that the Leafs were able to sign Schultz, so no pick was ultimately exchanged.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
Looks like we walked away from the mess with Matt Finn.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:10 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Hanifin or Marner ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
i'm pretty sure it would have been a 2013 2nd rd pick, not 2012

Old
06-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...dmonton-oilers

That bought the Leafs 24 hours over Saturday and Sunday to convince the 22-year-old defenceman that Toronto was where he should start his NHL career. Part of the pitch, clearly, was that the Leafs had opened up room for a right-handed shooting defenceman by trading Luke Schenn to the Philadelphia Flyers for forward James Van Riemsdyk.
If that was indeed part of the pitch to land Schultz than it obviously backfired.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Made deal at the draft, on Friday, for a conditional pick, to get negotiation dibs on Saturday/Sunday. I suppose if MLSE had a time machine, we'd have lost Finn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
If that was indeed part of the pitch to land Schultz than it obviously backfired.
Curious, how did it backfire? Unless you do believe the intent behind moving Schenn for JVR was to get Schultz, and not to get JVR, which I can understand. Is it the "we traded a young, right-handed shooting D, so we could trade you" thought process or something I'm missing?

Old
06-30-2012, 09:23 PM
LaPlante94

Quote:
Shot pretty weak ??

He has an uncanny ability to get it through traffic and on the net..

He was one of the highest scoring Dmen in the NCAA the past 2 seasons, recording 18 and 16 goals or 34 goals over that time.
Not weak like that. I mean no power at all really. He does have a very accurate shot and is really good at shooting it wide or putting it in a place where only his player can tip it. I just don't know if he'll be able to do that effectively in the NHL. I hope he can because the Oilers are gonna be a fun team to watch this year.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Smif

Quote:
Agreed.

In my mind, it would have been nice to have gotten Schultz and then potentially flip him at some point to a team lacking defensemen for a skill forward around the same age, or he could be a redundant piece that could be packaged for a star. We basically already have Gardiner, who has proven more than Schultz at the same age, and we have Morgan Rielly now, who could be our very own Erik Karlsson or Brian Leetch.

I'm glad you and I agree on the potential Rielly has...

Old
06-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not weak like that. I mean no power at all really. He does have a very accurate shot and is really good at shooting it wide or putting it in a place where only his player can tip it. I just don't know if he'll be able to do that effectively in the NHL. I hope he can because the Oilers are gonna be a fun team to watch this year.
I get'cha

From his coach Eaves at Wisconsin

Quote:
"It's his vision, it's his composure with the puck, it's his puck skills, Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves told the Vancouver Province. "And the one thing that's just a gift is his shot. He has the innate ability to get that puck to the net to allow for rebounds, tip-ins and goals. He's got what we call a smart shot."

Old
06-30-2012, 09:42 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Not by much though. Not like it didn't have other reasons to happen and while Schultz isn't taking any spots here have other guys who can gun for Schenn's spot.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Not by much though. Not like it didn't have other reasons to happen and while Schultz isn't taking any spots here have other guys who can gun for Schenn's spot.
Holzer is still a good bet to replace Schenn, and he's a right handed shot. I could also see Jesse Blacker being a darkhorse during camp to give the Leafs another option or a good bet for a call up too.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
I value your opinion!! No matter how talented he is...do you want any player that is not willing to fight for a spot???

Best choice...yes, fight for a spot and be the best player you can be by being competive...Guaranteed spot!!!

Want none of those players!!!
Are you trying to say that he won't try hard to make the roster of the Oilers?

Really, I don't see any problems with his decision as a player... he will try just as hard no matter which team he chooses, just one will give him the best opportunity to become a better player due to increased ice time.

I bet that if Gardiner (or other dmen around the league) were given the same opportunity, they would chose Edmonton!

Old
06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
feeel10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
[/B]
I'm glad you and I agree on the potential Rielly has...
this guy, rielly, everybody seems to think he has sky high potential with the likes of letang, karlsson.. leetch... i know im not in the good thread but anybody seen him play for real or is it just another kadri-like story where we just ''create'' his potential from what we WANT him to be?

Old
06-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeel10 View Post
this guy, rielly, everybody seems to think he has sky high potential with the likes of letang, karlsson.. leetch... i know im not in the good thread but anybody seen him play for real or is it just another kadri-like story where we just ''create'' his potential from what we WANT him to be?
a) Kadri has a load of potential.

b) You have to consider why the Leafs braintrust decided to pick him over a slew of other quality forward prospects at number five, factor in what look like outstanding skating and offensive abilities, and a strong work ethic, and you have the ingredients for what could be an absolutely amazing player.

c) Why do Leaf picks get so much skepticism? Aren't all fans just interpolating their prospects potentials based on literature, youtube, quotes and hearsay anyway?

Old
06-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Holzer is still a good bet to replace Schenn, and he's a right handed shot. I could also see Jesse Blacker being a darkhorse during camp to give the Leafs another option or a good bet for a call up too.
Dollars to doughnuts we get a vet UFA signing to try and fill Schenn's spot now that Schultz (Plan A)
is a no go.

A Bryan Allen type.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Dollars to doughnuts we get a vet UFA signing to try and fill Schenn's spot now that Schultz (Plan A)
is a no go.

A Bryan Allen type.
Schenn wasn't moved out to get Schultz. It was to get JVR.

Closed Thread