HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

All-Purpose Justin Schultz Thread | signs in Edmonton.

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Ohio Jones
Jays Hipster/Elitist

vCash: 500
From Bob McKenzie:

''As for the process, there were 26-plus teams interested in his services. The kid came in and met with his agent on Tuesday and Wednesday, met with seven teams on Thursday and Friday and made his decision on Saturday. The reason the process was so drawn out was because Schultz decided that he wanted to call the teams individually that he met with and tell them before they heard it somewhere else."

Sounds like the kid handled the whole thing with more class than some posters here have shown.

shttp://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399636

Old
06-30-2012, 10:09 PM
T M L

Burke wanted Schultz badly! This has to really piss him off.

Maybe he was banking on signing Schultz and that is why he traded Schenn for a very injury prone JVR who might just sit in the press box for most of his tenure as a Leaf.

Sure looks like Burke is becoming less and less popular. Since he has been in Toronto he is NOT signed one highly coveted UFA.

Time for a change maybe.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:13 PM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post

Maybe he was banking on signing Schultz and that is why he traded Schenn for a very injury prone JVR who might just sit in the press box for most of his tenure as a Leaf.

Sure looks like Burke is becoming less and less popular. Since he has been in Toronto he is NOT signed one highly coveted UFA.

Time for a change maybe.
You sure know him well don't you?

Perhaps he traded Schenn for more obvious reasons like the fact that he was playing the least amount on our D and was still making a fair chunk of change.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Schenn wasn't moved out to get Schultz. It was to get JVR.
How do you interpret this
Quote:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...dmonton-oilers

Part of the pitch, clearly, was that the Leafs had opened up room for a right-handed shooting defenceman by trading Luke Schenn to the Philadelphia Flyers for forward James Van Riemsdyk.
The timing of the Schenn trade coincided with the Schultz attempted signing. The opening in the roster for a RD for Schultz to fill was "part of the pitch" and was the Leafs Plan A..

Trade for JVR and insert "free wallet" Schultz right into the vacated spot left open by the trade.

Now its JVR for Schenn and Leafs have a gaping hole in the defense core, which I believe Plan B is to go out and sign a UFA now.

If Leafs wouldn't have made the Schenn trade at that time before Schultz makes his decision, the Leafs wouldn't have been in the running for Justin as the "No Vacancy Sign" would have been out.

So both timing and position opening were connected to Justin Schultz pursuit. This was more than just a trade here, as Holmgren has been pursuing Schenn for some time to address defensive need for his team dating back to the trade deadline when the JVR for Schenn rumour first surfaced.

06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Chips*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

The timing of the Schenn trade coincided with the Schultz attempted signing. The opening in the roster for a RD for Schultz to fill was "part of the pitch" and was the Leafs Plan A..

Trade for JVR and insert "free wallet" Schultz right into the vacated spot left open by the trade.

Now its JVR for Schenn and Leafs have a gaping hole in the defense core, which I believe Plan B is to go out and sign a UFA now.

If Leafs wouldn't have made the Schenn trade at that time before Schultz makes his decision, the Leafs wouldn't have been in the running for Justin as the "No Vacancy Sign" would have been out.

So both timing and position opening were connected to Justin Schultz pursuit. This was more than just a trade here, as Holmgren has been pursuing Schenn for some time to address defensive need for his team dating back to the trade deadline when the JVR for Schenn rumour first surfaced.
You're delusional if you sincerely believe the Leafs traded Schenn based in part on the potential acquisition of Schultz. Boy, this sure does explain the Schenn-JVR talk last season, doesn't it!

Old
06-30-2012, 10:33 PM
anderson3133

Quote:

I'm sure Burke has never heard of gentlemen agreements.

Plus, Burke had received Anaheim's blessing to talk to Schultz on day 1 of the draft, not day 2

Last edited by anderson3133: 06-30-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old
06-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Stephen

Quote:

I interpret it as killing two birds with one stone. The bigger bird being getting JVR for a struggling Schenn and upgrading our skill and potential on the forward ranks, which I'm pretty sure we have both personally agreed in the recent past that would be a step in the right direction for the Leafs.

The ancillary benefit to trading Schenn, would be to say to Schultz, "Hey Justin, we made room for you, come sign and play in Toronto." It would have been a convenient selling point. I'm not going to say that losing out on Schultz sucks, but we are loaded on defense anyway, and trading Schenn made sense considering our depth chart, Schultz or no Schultz.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:43 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post

Time for a change maybe.

So who is the GM that you want for the Leafs??? He is more popular right now than any GM I can think of in the last 40 years...WHO DO YOU THINK CAN DO A BETTER JOB???

BURKE CAN DO NO RIGHT WITH ANYONE HERE!!!!

Every -A-hole here wanted Schenn traded for JVR....They got thier wish....so which a-hole are you???did you want Schenn traded?? aor did you want to keep Schenn and now are getting on Burke for trading Schenn!!!

Which are you???

Old
06-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Tonka
Keslerberg strikes

Quote:

I don't get what this hate for the JVR trade is...I'd much rather have JVR than Schenn. Schenn is alright but I mean he is a very replaceable player (at least the Schenn we have seen). These defensive defenseman are great like Mitchell, etc. however a guy like Hal Gill can fill these type of roles. We have Rielly who I much rather have than Schenn. Gunnarson, Blacker, Gardiner, Franson, Holzer...all these guys in our system. I understand he is a Kelowna pal, but when a good trade comes up, then its one to be acknowledged. It's not like Leafs have the greatest of wingers.

Last edited by Tonka: 06-30-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old
06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:

Seriously, this is 'shine a light in your eye and see if your pupils dilate' delusional. They had a deal in place to move Schenn for JVR right before the deadline. JVR suffered a concussion and the whole thing went on hold. This was a fantastic trade for the Leafs.

Luke will be replaced by a Holzer/Fraser defensive D man, or more minutes for Komisarek. It would have been great to get Schultz, but its not like the Leafs have a shortage of blueline prospects.

JVR was a second overall pick who at only 23 has already dominated a playoff series. This kid was worth getting on his own, and we should be fist pumping and high fiving that we got him for Luke (and I like Luke - and wish him well in Philly where I think he will do great.)

Burke did not deal Luke because he wanted to free up a spot for Schultz any more than he bought out Armstrong because he wanted to free up a spot for Parise.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:54 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
I don't get what this hate for the JVR trade is...I'd much rather have JVR than Schenn. Schenn is alright but I mean he is a very replaceable player (at least the Schenn we have seen). These defensive defenseman are great like Mitchell, etc. however a guy like Hal Gill can fill these type of roles. We have Rielly who I much rather have than Schenn, Gunnarson, Blacker, Gardiner, Franson, Holzer...all these guys. I understand he is a Kelowna pal, but when a good trade comes up, then its one to be acknowledged. It's not like Leafs have the greatest of wingers.
Good for you...I would much rather have Schenn any day of the week over JVR...We drafted him, we should have kept him and developed him!!!

I hate this ****ing trade...We always trade our younger players and live to regret it!!!
we will regret this one too!!!

Old
06-30-2012, 10:57 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Gaping hole.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I interpret it as killing two birds with one stone. The bigger bird being getting JVR for a struggling Schenn and upgrading our skill and potential on the forward ranks, which I'm pretty sure we have both personally agreed in the recent past that would be a step in the right direction for the Leafs.

The ancillary benefit to trading Schenn, would be to say to Schultz, "Hey Justin, we made room for you, come sign and play in Toronto." It would have been a convenient selling point. I'm not going to say that losing out on Schultz sucks, but we are loaded on defense anyway, and trading Schenn made sense considering our depth chart, Schultz or no Schultz.
This post is too rational for the Internet and should be removed.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Tonka
Keslerberg strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Good for you...I would much rather have Schenn any day of the week over JVR...We drafted him, we should have kept him and developed him!!!

I hate this ****ing trade...We always trade our younger players and live to regret it!!!

When you have like 10 defensive prospects coming up, why not trade for a position we clearly lack in. I am sorry, I just don't see MacArthur as the top 6 guy in the future for the Leafs, and Kulemin we don't know where he will end up.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:59 PM
OlderTimer*

BTW...I am no Hockey player...Franson is not good enough to tie my ****ing skates...
one of the worst hockey players I have ever seen in my life...Franson...seriously??? what are you people watching??

Old
06-30-2012, 10:59 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
From Bob McKenzie:

''As for the process, there were 26-plus teams interested in his services. The kid came in and met with his agent on Tuesday and Wednesday, met with seven teams on Thursday and Friday and made his decision on Saturday. The reason the process was so drawn out was because Schultz decided that he wanted to call the teams individually that he met with and tell them before they heard it somewhere else."

Sounds like the kid handled the whole thing with more class than some posters here have shown.

shttp://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399636
Sounds like he has his head shoved up his ass.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Maybe you should follow the Leafs a little closer because anyone who did would know that the Leafs don't have a shortage of right hand shooting defencemen.

Wasn't the JVR trade basically agreed to last season?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:01 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Wonder if Burke was planing on replacing Schenn at the deadline with Schultz.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:01 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Quote:
So who is the GM that you want for the Leafs??? He is more popular right now than any GM I can think of in the last 40 years...WHO DO YOU THINK CAN DO A BETTER JOB???

BURKE CAN DO NO RIGHT WITH ANYONE HERE!!!!

Every -A-hole here wanted Schenn traded for JVR....They got thier wish....so which a-hole are you???did you want Schenn traded?? aor did you want to keep Schenn and now are getting on Burke for trading Schenn!!!

Which are you???
Burke is more popular than who? Any current GM in the NHL or any Leaf GM? Not going to say I've got a candidate myself ready to get pulled out for this, but can't think he's very popular right now.

Ok the exaggeration could probably be toned down a bit. I didn't particularly want Schenn traded for JVR at any point when the rumors came up due to all these injury questions. Last time Schenn was out due to injury was 2009.

Regardless this is about Schultz and I'll be glad when this whole topic dies off. In terms of this whole circus the two groups to lay this nonsense at is Schultz himself and the media (including McKenzie). Turned this whole thing into an episode of the Bachelor or Survivor.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:03 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:

Quote:
BTW...I am no Hockey player...Franson is not good enough to tie my ****ing skates...
one of the worst hockey players I have ever seen in my life...Franson...seriously??? what are you people watching??

Lol! You need to calm down brah.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:04 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:

Franson got the shaft last year. You'll be singing a different tune this year.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:09 PM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
When you have like 10 defensive prospects coming up, why not trade for a position we clearly lack in. I am sorry, I just don't see MacArthur as the top 6 guy in the future for the Leafs, and Kulemin we don't know where he will end up.
You don't know where Kuli will end up??? This is what make me know that Hfers know ****!! Best 2 way man on the Leafs...Yet you don't know where he'll end up!!!!

Hfers are the best GM's on the planet...99.9 % have no ****ing clue...trade everyone...trade them all

This is ****ing crazy!

Old
06-30-2012, 11:09 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Haven't read the thread, but are people actually whining about Burke not signing Schultz? #getagrip

Old
06-30-2012, 11:10 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't get what this hate for the JVR trade is...I'd much rather have JVR than Schenn. Schenn is alright but I mean he is a very replaceable player (at least the Schenn we have seen). These defensive defenseman are great like Mitchell, etc. however a guy like Hal Gill can fill these type of roles. We have Rielly who I much rather have than Schenn. Gunnarson, Blacker, Gardiner, Franson, Holzer...all these guys in our system. I understand he is a Kelowna pal, but when a good trade comes up, then its one to be acknowledged. It's not like Leafs have the greatest of wingers.
Schenn was a 3rd. pairing defender who still has an upside. Burke originally said Schenn had #2 upside, but that was at least one bad season ago.

Leafs will have no issues inserting another 7th. defender into the line-up.

I think the defense is quite weak, but Schenn doesn't make it strong.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
Old
06-30-2012, 11:13 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
You don't know where Kuli will end up??? This is what make me know that Hfers know ****!! Best 2 way man on the Leafs...Yet you don't know where he'll end up!!!!

Hfers are the best GM's on the planet...99.9 % have no ****ing clue...trade everyone...trade them all

This is ****ing crazy!
JVR's like what one year older PFFFT, BUST Edit: sorry quoted the wrong quote, but, still stands.

And, Kule was not the best two way guy last year.

Closed Thread