HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Purpose Justin Schultz Thread | signs in Edmonton.

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Going to be interesting seeing where Schultz signs today.

Normally an original 6 team like NY or TOR is a place you would want to go, however OTT, EDM
& VAN are also strongly rumoured by experts like Mckenzie and Lebrun, esp the latter 2.

Won't have much longer to wait.
I think he goes to Edmonton or Vancouver. Toronto and NY just don't seem likely.

Vancouver offers him the best chance to play in front of his parents, relatives and friends, and remain on a team who is a legitimate playoff contender.

Edmonton offers him the playing time he covets, and the chance to play with some elite forward talent.

Toronto doesn't off him that, and neither does NY. Now way Schultz is going to come in about bump down Staal, Del Zotto or Girardi.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Finn and Rielly might be able to return to Junior. Which would probably work in their favor.

I'm also forgetting about Percy.
Percy, Finn and Rielly will all be returning to junior. The only one of them who has a true shot at making the team next season is Rielly, and only if he lights it up in the pre-season and first 9 games.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
I think he goes to Edmonton or Vancouver. Toronto and NY just don't seem likely.

Vancouver offers him the best chance to play in front of his parents, relatives and friends, and remain on a team who is a legitimate playoff contender.

Edmonton offers him the playing time he covets, and the chance to play with some elite forward talent.

Toronto doesn't off him that, and neither does NY. Now way Schultz is going to come in about bump down Staal, Del Zotto or Girardi.
Vancouver and Toronto are my guesses.

06-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobloblawLeaf View Post
Percy, Finn and Rielly will all be returning to junior. The only one of them who has a true shot at making the team next season is Rielly, and only if he lights it up in the pre-season and first 9 games.
Even then it's highly likely he will return to the juniors to get his development time in the Juniors.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Interactif

Quote:

IMO I think EDM, VAN and TOR are the 3 teams. Don't know the guy enough to know what he values but it would seem playing for a Cdn team is high on his list. Of these teams, all 3 need a PP PMD. Too tight to call.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:09 AM
onebighockeyfan

This guy is way overhyped. Looking at him play he needs to put on about 30 pounds or he'll get destroyed in the NHL.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:11 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Going to be interesting seeing where Schultz signs today.

Normally an original 6 team like NY or TOR is a place you would want to go, however OTT, EDM
& VAN are also strongly rumoured by experts like Mckenzie and Lebrun, esp the latter 2.

Won't have much longer to wait.
this mckenzie = absolute authority thing has got to stop. he makes the safest statements when it comes to insider information, and his assessments are not earth shattering or correct. you should have seen what he used to say about david legwand before he was drafted. he's not correct all the time.

Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
I don't want to get my hopes up. The last time the Leafs got a coveted free agent it was Belfour in 02, 10 years ago. He'll probably sign with Edmonton or Vancouver, much to my disappointment. I hope I'm wrong but history is not on our side.
Belfour was seen as a reclamation project. we only signed him because cujo flew the coop. and your memory is short. both komisarek and armstrong were considered prime ufa players.

Old
Interactif

Strangley, Burke has been very quiet in this process. Infact Leafs Mgt has kept a tight lid on the Schultz sweepstakes, this is a good thing IMO.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Shimso

As much as this team needs any talent it can get, it doesn't really feel right to get a player like that.....if we'd used a draft pick on a player and they did that I wouldn't be happy.

If I had to guess, its between Vancouver and Toronto....

Old
06-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Strangley, Burke has been very quiet in this process. Infact Leafs Mgt has kept a tight lid on the Schultz sweepstakes, this is a good thing IMO.
DON'T STOP BELIEVING.....

I am curious and from the tsn interview it seemed like schultz wasn't even there !

Old
06-30-2012, 10:14 AM
MrVisser

Quote:

If he's not ready to compete in the NHL, then he's not ready. I would be skeptical of going to a team like EDM if I thought that it meant I would be put in the NHL whether I was ready or not -- I don't really see "they have a weaker blue line" as being a +1 for the team.

There is plenty of room for Schultz to play in the NHL on all these teams if he proves himself. I would see it as a good thing if the team could afford to keep me in the AHL to develop, if that was the best thing for my long-term development curve.

The cool thing about Toronto, is that call-ups to have a shot in the NHL are easier because both AHL and NHL teams are in Toronto.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Interactif

Further to the Leafs angle, if Eliott Friedman is correct, Leafs had 2 shots to speak to Arnott/Schultz one prior to the draft, and yesterday. Then that would be an advantage to the other teams.

Russo said he thought Justin decided awhile ago, this may be just reaffirmation, the process. Unless a team knocked his socks off, swaying his mind, it's the same 3 teams that were mentioned most.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:19 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
DON'T STOP BELIEVING.....

I am curious and from the tsn interview it seemed like schultz wasn't even there !
I don't get going to Edmonton, they seem miles away from being a good team. Vancouver makes more sense, Toronto well we are getting there but are not there yet. So it would seem to me do you want to be with a team that is a contender where you have to earn a top 4 spot? Or a team that is still going to have growing pains but are going in the right direction with a very possible top 4 spot.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
ChesapeakeRipper
#firecarlyle

vCash: 0
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland

Word is #Oilers and #Sens are final two teams for Justin Schultz
Expand

Old
06-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Interactif

Strickland tweeted it's between the Oilers and the Sens.

He's a solid source.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:23 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Strickland tweeted it's between the Oilers and the Sens.

He's a solid source.
cool! he gets to play for both teams!?

Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Further to the Leafs angle, if Eliott Friedman is correct, Leafs had 2 shots to speak to Arnott/Schultz one prior to the draft, and yesterday. Then that would be an advantage to the other teams.

Russo said he thought Justin decided awhile ago, this may be just reaffirmation, the process. Unless a team knocked his socks off, swaying his mind, it's the same 3 teams that were mentioned most.
Yeap. Russo is also very respected among the Wild fans so I am curious to see if it comes true.
Quote:
I don't get going to Edmonton, they seem miles away from being a good team. Vancouver makes more sense, Toronto well we are getting there but are not there yet. So it would seem to me do you want to be with a team that is a contender where you have to earn a top 4 spot? Or a team that is still going to have growing pains but are going in the right direction.
This is my thought as well. I seriously don't see the Edmonton Oiler Pull at all. I get it playing time but really?

Old
06-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Pi

Those are good choices. Chance to play with Karlsson or the studs on the Oilers.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

oh how i hate the senators if true.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Oh well we will boo the **** out of either teams when we visit them

Old
06-30-2012, 10:27 AM
ChesapeakeRipper
#firecarlyle

vCash: 0
guess playing with gardiner doesn't mean much to him

Old
06-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Yeap. Russo is also very respected among the Wild fans so I am curious to see if it comes true.

This is my thought as well. I seriously don't see the Edmonton Oiler Pull at all. I get it playing time but really?
Sounds like Edmonton is the team if we are to believe Lebrun, Stickland, Mac. It would be a pleasant surprise if he chose the Leafs. Don't get hopes too high Leafs fans. I'm all for surprises, hope for our sake they are wrong this time.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Interactif

Now Russo is tweeting get ready for big news NY fans...

Old
06-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Sounds like Edmonton is the team if we are to believe Lebrun, Stickland, Mac. It would be a pleasant surprise if he chose the Leafs. Don't get hopes too high Leafs fans. I'm all for surprises, hope for our sake they are wrong this time.
As stated before not holding my breath haha.

Closed Thread