HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Armstrong bought out

Old
06-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
This is the thousand dollar question isn't it? Surely IF Burke can trade Connelly/Lambo he would? Komi, I think he can be traded, but for very little but the Cap relief the Leafs would get.
if he can trade Lambo i think he would ... but we need Connolly right now

Bozak
Grabovski
Connolly

who else would play that 3rd line C??? Colborne isn't ready, Kadri may end up being better on the wing.

if we can bring in Gaustad then i think we'll see Conns traded

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:26 PM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillz View Post
frattin does everything kadri does except better. Better forecheck, plays more physical, more responsible in his own end. I bet you he will beat out kadri again because fratts can play bottom six or if need be 2nd line. Kadri cannot play a third line role on a carlyle team.
Fail

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post

Bozak
Grabovski
Connolly

who else would play that 3rd line C??? Colborne isn't ready, Kadri may end up being better on the wing.

Leafs aren't good enough upfront to have Gaustad as a 3rd line center. The Leafs aren't talented enough to go a traditional top 6, bottom 6.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pooleboy
#chychrun2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
Armstrong was honestly the heart and soul of this team.

**** Burke.

I am one bad move away (not landing Schultz) from being done with this excuse of a franchise.

Lol don't get your hopes up.... Armstrong was apart of LACK people wanted them gone.....

Notsureifsrs

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cmillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
Fail
Ya cause your reply wreaks of success? Try again.

Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmillz View Post
Frattin does everything Kadri does except better. Better forecheck, plays more physical, more responsible in his own end. I bet you he will beat out Kadri again because Fratts can play bottom six or if need be 2nd line. Kadri cannot play a third line role on a Carlyle team.
Kadri owns Frattin

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
This is the thousand dollar question isn't it? Surely IF Burke can trade Connelly/Lambo he would? Komi, I think he can be traded, but for very little but the Cap relief the Leafs would get.
Tell ya what bud. Go remind yourself as to what Lombardi has done throughout his career. Then realistically think of what his worth would be on the market all things considered. Then realistically look at what the causes of his nightmarish recent times have been, and look at if it reasonable to assume that these causes will carry over into next year. His worth is considerably more staying here and being given the chance to bounce back on the third line.

Look at our management's recent history. Through being savvy and intelligent with obtaining assets, we've been able to take assets that are unjustly considered "damaged" goods and reap the rewards of their comebacks. Lombardi is poised to be added to the list.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MoeMoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Because? He's an established, highly effective player. He had concussion issues which he got over quicker than Nashville expected, but not quick enough to have a proper off-season of conditioning to be amply prepared for this season. He'll bounce back, as everything so far in his career points towards that. Both Lombardi and Armstrong had nightmare seasons, but both Lombardi and Armstrong are also established NHL vets who have had success and had it for a reason. A couple nightmare seasons injury wise does not take away the reasons for their success, they'll persist when the splodey bones cease.

Lombardi especially considering what he can be when healthy.
Hi Mat! How's the summer going? Hope to see you get out of the pressbox this year!

Old
Leaf For Life

Must say I am a little saddened that the leafs got rid of Armstrong. I remember when we signed I was so happy. Sucks that his leaf days ended like this.

Leaf For Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
Kadri owns Frattin
Try making an argument...I haven't seen Kadri do much in the NHL except shootout goals. Starts hot for 2 games and fades into ineffectiveness. Maybe it was Ron Wilson...I have no idea but based on what we saw...

Old
06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
Why didn't Burkie buy out Lombardi instead. That guy was flat out useless.

But noooooooo you just have to get rid of whatever little truculence we had left.
huh,he was a wussy.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:30 PM
MoeMoney

Quote:
Ya cause your reply wreaks of success? Try again.
The first line in your post speaks volumes on how little you know, why would I waste my time pointing out obvious things like how Frattin is not better than Kadri, what a ridiculous statement. As I said:

FAIL

Old
06-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Mowerman

Quote:
Hi Mat! How's the summer going? Hope to see you get out of the pressbox this year!
I wish I was Lombardi. Dude has a killer wife and a pretty nice bank statement I'd bet.

Old
Clark4Ever

Quote:
Kadri owns Frattin
Not so far...

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Cmillz

Quote:
The first line in your post speaks volumes on how little you know, why would I waste my time pointing out obvious things like how Frattin is not better than Kadri, what a ridiculous statement. As I said:

FAIL
Because you waste our time reading your fruitless posts...I can argue my point quite well...clearly you can't

Old
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
i might be in the minority, but i think we can get a pick for Connolly ... Lambo MAYBE, depending on if a team thinks he will rebound .... Komisarek? No way lol
Connolly makes nearly $5 mil (top 6 money) and he is playing in the bottom 6 on a Leafs team that finished 5th from the bottom of the league, while he put up 36 points and was the 2nd worst +/- player at -14 (tied with Liles) last year, with only Lombardi being worse at -19.

Armstrong didn't play, that is why he was bought out, the rest of these guys did play and that was the problem their market value in regards to their remuneration makes them undesirables even for their own present team. You would think to move some (if possible) would requiring an equally bad contract returning to offset the money going out. Then nothing is really gained much be exchanging unwantables/undesirables and more bad contracts only different ones.

Perhaps even worse yet, its our Leafs that will need to include a draft pick along with one of these players contracts to dispose of them outside of a buyout.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:33 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Try making an argument...I haven't seen Kadri do much in the NHL except shootout goals. Starts hot for 2 games and fades into ineffectiveness. Maybe it was Ron Wilson...I have no idea but based on what we saw...
Kadri is light years more talented than Frattin.

Because of size/skating, he hasn't been as effective as he could be, so far, but if he addresses that this off-season, the two probably won't be close

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mowerman

Quote:
Frattin does everything Kadri does except better.
hahaha

Kadri has an elite offensive skillset and will be a highly effective offensive threat in the NHL for years to come. Frattin? Well, he can forecheck!!!!

Old
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Hmm wonder which GM's would prefer Frattin over Kadri.. Probably just you in your NHL'12 fantasy draft

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:34 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Connolly makes nearly $5 mil (top 6 money) and he is playing in the bottom 6 on a Leafs team that finished 5th from the bottom of the league, while he put up 36 points and was the 2nd worst +/- player at -14 (tied with Liles) last year, with only Lombardi being worse at -19.
Connolly's contract is front loaded, he will make $4 million this year.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf For Life View Post
Must say I am a little saddened that the leafs got rid of Armstrong. I remember when we signed I was so happy. Sucks that his leaf days ended like this.
Going back to the 2010 free agency, I remember Armstrong signing and TONS of people being very happy that he was here.

Some were upset about the price (market value - he would have gotten close elsewhere), but most were pleased because of what he brought: grit, determination, a goal scoring touch, and overall just a great, great character (he was on Sportsnet's Stanley Cup Final coverage team and people loved him there).

It's a shame it didn't work out but I think most are in the same boat as you - thrilled at the signing at the time, yet very upset at how it ended up.

Lasting image - Colby Armstrong forcing himself through the concussion symptoms to try & practice + play; think that's all you need to know about the guy.

Sad to see him go, but ultimately the team just weren't confident he would get healthy.

Best of luck elsewhere big guy. That HBO 24/7 Winter Classic series just got a whole lot more boring without Armdog

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:35 PM
rumman

Quote:

Bozak
Grabovski
Connolly

Gaustad on 3rd line is a huge improvement over Connelly. Leafs problem in the middle is they have no #1 centre, two 2nd line centres (Grabb/Bozak), no 3rd line centre, and Steckle on the 4th line. I hate to say it , but packaging Grabbo plus could get the Leafs a #1 centre, Bozak could play on the 2nd line, sign Gaustad or trade for Wilson for the 3rd line. Steckle is ok for the 4th.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:36 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
To be clear, I believe he has a $4 000 000 salary with a $4 750 000 cap hit.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Hyperglide

This thread has gone way off topic. Lets keep it on subject guys.

Hyperglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Cmillz

Quote:
Hmm wonder which GM's would prefer Frattin over Kadri.. Probably just you in your NHL'12 fantasy draft
Sigh...again...you have no point.