HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Niskanen re-signs. Two years, $2.3 per

Old
06-30-2012, 11:55 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
What's the deal with putting lefties on the right side and righties on the left side, guys?
Martin prefers the right side, for one. And I think it has been said Niskanen prefers the left.

SCUDeriMISSILE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:55 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
You have to wonder what this means for Martin. If we sign Suter, and a lot of "experts" think we're going to be going after him as much or more than Parise, then Martin's as good as gone.
Personally, I would love us to land Suter at the expense of Parise, but will be happy to get either one!! Martin may still be as good as gone even if we can sign Parise, not Suter IMHO.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I think a lot of experts are wrong and missing what's right in front of their face: Suter is not into eastern teams, is offensive minded, will command more than he's probably worth, and we're loaded with offensive D coming down the pike. Parise is Shero's target IMO, and then possibly Bobby Ryan. After that all bets are off. Not saying he won't give Suter an offer but I don't think he's going to throw a huge offer at him.
Respectfully I think you are wrong. Suter is arguably a top 5 dman in the league with ties to Shero. If you don't think Shero is in on him, I think you're nuts. Now, whether Suter wants to sign with us is another story.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Respectfully I think you are wrong. Suter is arguably a top 5 dman in the league with ties to Shero. If you don't think Shero is in on him, I think you're nuts. Now, whether Suter wants to sign with us is another story.
Those ties are over-rated. While he may have some connection because of Shero's days in Nashville, a lot of time has passed and this is just business. So unless you're saying to me Shero and Suter have kept in touch over the years, I'm saying to you that connection is media fluff and doesn't matter much.

It might mean something in a TRADE because the GMs do have some connection obviously... but in FA, not really. This is about Suter and his agent. Nashville connections don't mean much. I do agree he's very good and I do agree Shero will pitch him an offer. I don't agree he's going to do the "at all costs thing", and I believe he would pay Parise more, even though they're arguably worth about the same money.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Solid cap-hit for Nisky.

Not a fan of our D-composition as it stands, an we have a full group signed, but then that is what tomorrow is for. Can probably strike out one option though - ie. dealing Nisky to make room. Not really Shero's style to sign someone and then do that, it would seem.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:06 PM
jdpitt05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Martin prefers the right side, for one. And I think it has been said Niskanen prefers the left.
Hasn't Martin's pairing primarily been Martin-Michalek & Martin-Letang since he's been here?

Anyways, this is how I see the D now. I'm hopeful we can nab Parise and a vet d-man who can play in the top 4.

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Engelland

jdpitt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Those ties are over-rated. While he may have some connection because of Shero's days in Nashville, a lot of time has passed and this is just business. So unless you're saying to me Shero and Suter have kept in touch over the years, I'm saying to you that connection is media fluff and doesn't matter much.

It might mean something in a TRADE because the GMs do have some connection obviously... but in FA, not really. This is about Suter and his agent. Nashville connections don't mean much. I do agree he's very good and I do agree Shero will pitch him an offer. I don't agree he's going to do the "at all costs thing", and I believe he would pay Parise more, even though they're arguably worth about the same money.
Like I said, I wasn't commenting on Suter wanting to sign with the Pens. Your original post made it seem like we weren't that interested in signing Suter because "he's not that physical and we have tons offensive dmen in the pipeline". That's where I believe you are wrong.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Solid cap-hit for Nisky.

Not a fan of our D-composition as it stands, an we have a full group signed, but then that is what tomorrow is for. Can probably strike out one option though - ie. dealing Nisky to make room. Not really Shero's style to sign someone and then do that, it would seem.
Agreed. Niskanen is here to stay for at least this first year.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:12 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Avoiding an offer sheet

I'm glad this deal got done, because I really think Niskanen would have been offer sheet-ed if it went past July 1st. He could have received upwards of $3.3 million and we would only receive a 2nd rounder next year in return. And obviously, we would not have matched.

Niskanen obviously likes Pittsburgh and wants to stay, so both sides got this deal done before July 1st.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Beauner
Shooter Tutor Fleury

Quote:
Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Niskanen is among the most popular guys in the locker room. Class act. Standup guy, too.
Never knew that. Always nice to hear Pens are good guys.

Beauner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Like I said, I wasn't commenting on Suter wanting to sign with the Pens. Your original post made it seem like we weren't that interested in signing Suter because "he's not that physical and we have tons offensive dmen in the pipeline". That's where I believe you are wrong.
My comment was in reference to the "going after as much or more than Parise" part. Not suggesting we're not interested. I think most teams are interested, to be honest.

The point is, Parise is the bigger need, the rarer commodity (in our particular case), and the bigger impact player... so contrary to media (even TSN) he will be the guy we make the biggest offer to, not Suter. I think we'll offer Suter reasonable money but someone like DET or MN will throw a lot more at him and consequently we're not going to pursue that hard.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Love that tweet, and Niskanen is really worth that contract. Congrats.

Looking forward to see him reach new levels of his development.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:19 PM
wej20

Nice deal, I'm very interested to see how the D shakes out after Free Agency.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
My comment was in reference to the "going after as much or more than Parise" part. Not suggesting we're not interested. I think most teams are interested, to be honest.

The point is, Parise is the bigger need, the rarer commodity (in our particular case), and the bigger impact player... so contrary to media (even TSN) he will be the guy we make the biggest offer to, not Suter. I think we'll offer Suter reasonable money but someone like DET or MN will throw a lot more at him and consequently we're not going to pursue that hard.
I hope this is the case. I really, really want Suter (he is one of my favorite dmen so I'm a bit biased) but I agree that Parise is a bigger need. I hope Shero goes after him harder and is willing to pony up more money to finally "solve" the winger issue.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Shady Machine

So back to Nisky, I'm very happy he's signed. Certainly makes things a bit complicated if Martin stays, but time will tell.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
The point is, Parise is the bigger need, the rarer commodity (in our particular case), and the bigger impact player...
I could not disagree more, least of all in our particular case.

Old
06-30-2012, 12:26 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
Hasn't Martin's pairing primarily been Martin-Michalek & Martin-Letang since he's been here?

Anyways, this is how I see the D now. I'm hopeful we can nab Parise and a vet d-man who can play in the top 4.

Martin-Letang
Orpik-Niskanen
Despres-Engelland
I think so, but that's not what he prefers. I remember him playing the right side a lot for the Devils with Colin White, etc. on the left.

Old
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

That's fair. I was capgeeking (that's my new word) him in between $2.2M-$2.75M.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jaded-Fan

Niskanen found his game here, after being reviled in Dallas. I am sure that he wanted this deal as badly as the Pens did. Really glad it got done.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:28 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Very nice.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I think so, but that's not what he prefers. I remember him playing the right side a lot for the Devils with Colin White, etc. on the left.
That's because Paul Martin can play his off-side and Colin White can't .

Old
06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Hell Yeah!!!

Quote:
I could not disagree more, least of all in our particular case.
Yep.

Hell Yeah!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:30 PM
GenoMachino71

what makes this deal great is we're only tied to him for 2 more years

by then, Morrow, Pouliot, Harrington, Maatta, Dumoulin may all be ready

if any of those guys are ready before hand, Niskanan could always be moved for a decent return

But no need to lock up 2nd/3rd line D-pairings up to long term deals with so many studs in the system who will be on entry level deals

GenoMachino71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:34 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
That's because Paul Martin can play his off-side and Colin White can't .
Which still doesn't preclude Martin from being better or preferring the right side.