HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niskanen re-signs. Two years, $2.3 per

Old
06-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Which doesn't still preclude Martin from being better or preferring the right side.
Well, no...
But I was just pointing out that your argument was not an argument because Colin White to my knowledge has never played his off side, When playing with Andy Greene, Greene was on his off-side, whereas Martin was on the left.

Anyway, I have heard that Niskanen prefers the left actually, but I never saw or heard similar from Martin. Doesn't mean you couldn't be right of course, just don't see any indications from the past that it is so.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Jaded-Fan

As an aside, this is why you do things like trading Michalek back to the team he wanted to go to for less than you could have gotten elsewhere.

Players know that the Pens treat players well and they give discounts. Niskanen is not the first Pens' Player to leave some dollars on the table to stay here. They never learned about that on the other side of the state, and I think that it will cost them. In fact already has, but more so in the future.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:50 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Any chance Niskanen is super tight friends with Parise or Suter?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Good stuff, glad to see it done. He really turned it around here.

Antaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 12:53 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Such an awesome deal.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I could not disagree more, least of all in our particular case.
Are you saying that for next year only, or for the next 4-5 years? Because when you're making a huge signing like this, it's about long-term thinking, not just this next season. If Suter were Shea Weber in this debate, I'd be inclined to agree with you, because we have no one remotely like him in our D system or on our roster. But he's not. He's Suter, a defensively solid, offensive-minded D who will make our PP perhaps a little better (arguably Letang is the better PPQB), and help the team give up fewer G. That's important but

Parise will:

1) Create an impossible match-up situation for other teams 5v5
2) Make our PP much better
3) Make our PK much better, and more dangerous

Parise is the better player and the player more likely to impact all phases of our game. Not sure how anyone would argue otherwise but I have a feeling you're going to try.

BTW LET'S TAKE IT TO THE FA THREAD (my mistake for continuing the discussion here).

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 06-30-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:08 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Like the deal. Like the player and like the cap hit. I thought he would go for a bit higher of a price. Welcome back, Nisky.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Are you saying that for next year only, or for the next 4-5 years? Because when you're making a huge signing like this, it's about long-term thinking, not just this next season. If Suter were Shea Weber in this debate, I'd be inclined to agree with you, because we have no one remotely like him in our D system or on our roster. But he's not. He's Suter, a defensively solid, offensive-minded D who will make our PP perhaps a little better (arguably Letang is the better PPQB), and help the team give up fewer G. That's important but

Parise will:

Parise is the better player and the player more likely to impact all phases of our game. Not sure how anyone would argue otherwise but I have a feeling you're going to try.

I think that Suter does fill an immediate need. Maybe more than Parise. We did outscore everyone last year, 13 goals between us and number 2. And that was with a huge amount of injures. But that is the key word when it comes to Suter, 'immediate' need.

A couple of years from now the $8 million per that we would need to sign him for will really pinch. Look, it is like the Martin thing. I think that he will have a bounce back year and if we had nothing in the system and Niskanen had not come along, no one would want him gone. But there are so many cheaper alternatives. In Suter's case, maybe he is better than anything in our system. Hard to believe with Letang, and some of out prospects, but sure why not. Is he worth three times as much as some of those will be making during that time? Now look at wing. We have very little. The choice is so easy when you look at the bigger picture and not the upcoming year.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
There is only one who can improve the PP... He awaits... His arrival will be akin to a supernova with extra sauce.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Jaded: fair point about immediacy but no one should take my argument as "Suter wouldn't fill an immediate need" or "Suter would not make our D better". He unquestionably would. Only saying, given the depth of offensive minded D on our roster and in our system, long-term his impact would be considerably less than Parise's IMO.

ALL: (agin my mistake..) LET'S TAKE THIS TO THE FA THREAD. Thanks.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
There is only one who can improve the PP... He awaits... His arrival will be akin to a supernova with extra sauce.
I'm pretty sure his name is Joe and he eats shattered goalie masks for breakfast, instead of breakfast cereal or Paul Martin's downy soft eggs.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
I'm pretty sure his name is Joe and he eats goalie masks for breakfast.
Sakic retired, bud!

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Sakic retired, bud!

Ah yes, the originator of all Joes. But even he is afraid of Joe Morrow's slapshot. Eventually they're just going to cancel the All Star Slapshot competition or name the trophy after Morrow, whichever is more convenient for him. Pretty much it's all about the Joes.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I'm pretty sure his name is Joe and he eats shattered goalie masks for breakfast, instead of breakfast cereal or Paul Martin's downy soft eggs.
He makes others eat Paul Martin's eggs...

Old
06-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Ah yes, the originator of all Joes. But even he is afraid of Joe Morrow's slapshot. Eventually they're just going to cancel the All Star Slapshot competition or just name the trophy after Morrow, whichever is more convenient for him. Pretty much it's all about the Joes.
They are going to name the slapshot the "morrow".

"Morrow takes control at right point, surveys the ice... Morrow takes a blistering morrow..."

Old
06-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
They are going to name the slapshot the "morrow".

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Old
06-30-2012, 01:31 PM
JTG

Quote:

Parise will:

BTW LET'S TAKE IT TO THE FA THREAD (my mistake for continuing the discussion here).
What gets me about this whole conversation is that people say we don't need a defenseman because of who we have in the system completely negating the fact that none of these guys are sure things to become even close to what Ryan Suter is.

To get a little perspective on this, take a look at HF stuff written around 2004 or 2005 about Chicago.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:09 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

This time of year really does bring out the hockey nuts. Gotta love that both "Niskanen" and "Nisky" are two of the top 10 trending topics in America on Twitter right now.

Yesterday was pretty hilarious when you'd see Tom Cruise at #9, Katie Holmes at #8 and then... J.J. Daigneault at No. 7.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
This time of year really does bring out the hockey nuts. Gotta love that both "Niskanen" and "Nisky" are two of the top 10 trending topics in America on Twitter right now.

Yesterday was pretty hilarious when you'd see Tom Cruise at #9, Katie Holmes at #8 and then... J.J. Daigneault at No. 7.
I'm really only a fan of football and hockey, and I don't know other sports work in the offseason aside from those two, but hockey really is a 365 day a year thing. Always stuff happening and things to talk about, unlike football where it essentially shuts down, aside from the draft, from February 1-camps start in August.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Jacob

I'm kind of conflicted, I think our current projected blue line is small and a little on the soft side, but I feel like a Suter signing is just going to clog the pipeline and force us to trade or potentially waive some pretty damn good d-men in the near future. When you're forced to trade assets you'll never get top value for them.

I feel like Niskanen can do anything Martin can, and for half the price, so I'd like to see Martin dealt and then maybe a big crease-clearer like Bryan Allen brought in on a 2-3ish year deal. That way, as the Nisky/Engelland/Brooks deals begin to expire we can start plugging in guys like Harrington, Morrow, Dumoulin, etc.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
Such an awesome deal.
I feel your pain. The best way too trade in that game is based off their potential. I traded Tyler Myers for Shea Weber. And another Guy for Sidney Crosby and they thought it was a steal LOL.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:39 PM
JTG

Letang-Orpik
Suter-Niskanen
Bortuzzo-Engelland
Strait

...is something I'd like to see.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Letang-Orpik
Suter-Niskanen
Bortuzzo-Engelland
Strait

...is something I'd like to see.
Suter's got to play with Letang. He's a #1 defenseman that makes his partner better. He'd allow Letang to basically do whatever he wanted without having to think about it. Suter is a phenomenal defenseman, but he'd be a ridiculously good pair with Letang.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:42 PM
JTG

At this point in time, guys are going to play in the AHL until they are waiver eligible anyways.

Old
06-30-2012, 02:44 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Suter's got to play with Letang. He's a #1 defenseman that makes his partner better. He'd allow Letang to basically do whatever he wanted without having to think about it. Suter is a phenomenal defenseman, but he'd be a ridiculously good pair with Letang.
True. I just don't want to see Orpik and Niskanen together. I think Suter could also make Niskanen look much better than he is, which is more important, IMO. Letang will be just fine with Orpik.