HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niskanen re-signs. Two years, $2.3 per

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-30-2012, 05:28 PM
  #101
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 14,631
vCash: 500
Glad he's back. Fits the system like a glove. No idea where he fits in the lineup though. The D is just in such a state of flux at the moment. I think even the coaches mentioned that at the draft. Letang is the #1. That's about all I know and even that arguably might change if they get lucky and sign Suter.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:48 PM
  #102
WhatsaMaatta
Registered User
 
WhatsaMaatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,810
vCash: 500
Pegging Suter as an offensive minded defenseman just doesn't give him the credit he is due. . . GIven the performance the Pens' D put up at the end of last year, Suter is exactly the guy this team needs on the blue line.

Great move resigning Niskanen at that price

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  #103
FDBluth
Registered User
 
FDBluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 10,197
vCash: 500
Excellent signing. You can't get a better defenseman for that price.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:02 PM
  #104
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal
 
SCUDeriMISSILE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Excellent signing. You can't get a better defenseman for that price.
Fancy seeing you here.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:11 PM
  #105
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,759
vCash: 500
I just don't see Suter coming this way now unless the Pens have an offer on the table for Martin. If they sign Suter then Martin will be a salary dump and teams will know that. So they won't get much in return.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:12 PM
  #106
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 38,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I just don't see Suter coming this way now unless the Pens have an offer on the table for Martin. If they sign Suter then Martin will be a salary dump and teams will know that. So they won't get much in return.
except Suter

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:30 PM
  #107
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal
 
SCUDeriMISSILE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,170
vCash: 500
I don't see Suter coming here. And I'm fine with it. My main squeeze is Parise.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:51 PM
  #108
TNT87
Lets Go Bucs!
 
TNT87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Nice deal for both sides involved. I think Niskanen will have a bigger role this season and I feel he can handle it.

TNT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:10 PM
  #109
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I don't see Suter coming here. And I'm fine with it. My main squeeze is Parise.

I agree 100%. Our biggest need is at wing. Although I wouldn't cry if we ended up with Suter and Semin/Doan/Marleau

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:11 PM
  #110
zero8771
Registered User
 
zero8771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I agree 100%. Our biggest need is at wing. Although I wouldn't cry if we ended up with Suter and Semin/Doan/Marleau
im just over this whole waiting thing. It's time to make some moves!!

zero8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:19 PM
  #111
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Dark Matter
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Darkness
Country: United States
Posts: 26,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
I don't see Suter coming here. And I'm fine with it. My main squeeze is Parise.
The ladies think he's dreamy.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:34 PM
  #112
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I agree 100%. Our biggest need is at wing.
Depends how you look at it. Defense is a obviously a bigger need on the NHL roster than offense. Outside Suter there is precious little of value to us in free agency this year on D. Martin would (arguably) be the second best defender in free agency if he was an UFA. We just don't have the mix on D for him to be a great option for us.

If we don't get Parise, there are other wingers to move for who can improve us. Short term Ray Whitney might give us just as much as Parise because he will be a much better addition for our PP. With Parise who'd even know where to put him?

Suter is a top5 D-man in the league and improves us in all situations. Parise is world class also, yet not a top10 forward and doesn't add to our PP. Without a big role on our PP, he is not going to bring the goals or points to justify what will be a major, major contract either way.

This is not to say that I would not be happy/exhilarated to get Parise who is a fantastic player. But I would rather have two wingers who fill genuine needs on our team (some PP, some size) on better value contracts, and I would much rather have Suter.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:59 PM
  #113
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Depends how you look at it. Defense is a obviously a bigger need on the NHL roster than offense. Outside Suter there is precious little of value to us in free agency this year on D. Martin would (arguably) be the second best defender in free agency if he was an UFA. We just don't have the mix on D for him to be a great option for us.

If we don't get Parise, there are other wingers to move for who can improve us. Short term Ray Whitney might give us just as much as Parise because he will be a much better addition for our PP. With Parise who'd even know where to put him?

Suter is a top5 D-man in the league and improves us in all situations. Parise is world class also, yet not a top10 forward and doesn't add to our PP. Without a big role on our PP, he is not going to bring the goals or points to justify what will be a major, major contract either way.

This is not to say that I would not be happy/exhilarated to get Parise who is a fantastic player. But I would rather have two wingers who fill genuine needs on our team (some PP, some size) on better value contracts, and I would much rather have Suter.

I should clarify. I meant organizationally. We have no potential Parise's in our system. All of our superstars at forward are already on the big club.


We do, however, have Dmen prospects that have the chance to be as good as (or at least almost as good as) Ryan Suter. Yes, we'll have to wait a couple of years, but if we sign with Parise, we'll have him for 10.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
  #114
SteelFish87*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,279
vCash: 500
Suter > Weber

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:22 PM
  #115
Polaris Husky
The North Star
 
Polaris Husky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 4,995
vCash: 500
Happy to see Nisky back. Now I won't have to change my sub-title.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
  #116
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!
 
froods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Happy to see Nisky back. Now I won't have to change my sub-title.
Now I will. , and profile pic as well!

froods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:25 PM
  #117
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,170
vCash: 1012
Great deal for us. Happy to see him back. Hopefully, he'll still be on the third pairing, but I can live with him in the top 4. I like how he progressed as a Pen.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:54 PM
  #118
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,833
vCash: 1000
Good deal. Nisky was great this year. Hopefully it's a sign of him turning things around. I don't see why it can't be. He's still young, especially by defenseman standards.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:35 AM
  #119
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
If we sign Suter, he's playing on the top pairing with Letang. I don't see any situation where Suter is put with Niskanen just to insulate Niskanen's play. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. I'd ideally have Suter-Letang, Orpik-Despres, Niskanen-Engelland.
You skipped the point coach. You're putting the two best defensemen together just for fun. The overall defense would be better if one of them was out for 50 mins a game, v. 2 of them being out for 20-25 mins a game.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:43 AM
  #120
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 14,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
I just don't see Suter coming this way now unless the Pens have an offer on the table for Martin. If they sign Suter then Martin will be a salary dump and teams will know that. So they won't get much in return.
Ray has enough to sign both Parise and Suter (a massive pipe dream if he can get both) and if that means Martin brings back nothing but a 7th rounder, I doubt Ray would be all that mad, sure he'd hate that and want more in return, but teams missing out on Suter will see Martin as an option. Crappier defensemen have been moved after having worse seasons.

People over-exaggerate.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:44 AM
  #121
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 14,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
You skipped the point coach. You're putting the two best defensemen together just for fun. The overall defense would be better if one of them was out for 50 mins a game, v. 2 of them being out for 20-25 mins a game.
I like the balance of this better...

Suter, Letang
Orpik, Niskanen
Despres, Engelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I should clarify. I meant organizationally. We have no potential Parise's in our system. All of our superstars at forward are already on the big club.


We do, however, have Dmen prospects that have the chance to be as good as (or at least almost as good as) Ryan Suter. Yes, we'll have to wait a couple of years, but if we sign with Parise, we'll have him for 10.
This is the player I am hoping Ray is aiming to get. Parise would be a guy that would sign a contract that would keep him in Pittsburgh for the rest of his career with Crosby and Malkin. I mean, I can see the Pens being like the Wings in which they are contenders every year even with star players retiring. Parise might want to be a part of a team that is like that, a team that also employs his best bud and another center that he could play with if Sid and him don't find chemistry...that other center just so happens to be last season's best player.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:49 AM
  #122
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I like the balance of this better...

Suter, Letang
Orpik, Niskanen
Despres, Engelland

What balance?


I'd rather 1 of Letang or Suter be out there at all times.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:51 AM
  #123
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 17,145
vCash: 500
I thought he would have gotten around 3 so this is pretty good.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:32 AM
  #124
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo
 
Warm Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 47,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
What balance?


I'd rather 1 of Letang or Suter be out there at all times.
Exactly. Putting Suter and Letang together would be akin to putting Crosby and Malkin together. Spread the wealth.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:26 AM
  #125
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Exactly. Putting Suter and Letang together would be akin to putting Crosby and Malkin together. Spread the wealth.
It would also insure that none of the pairings are GREAT.
Honour over Glory's pairings have first pairng D-men on the first. Second pairing D men on the second. Third on the third. All og them great matches as regards characteristics, handedness, offence/defence.

I guarantee that we are not signing Suter to play him with Niskanen.

Suter/Letang would be our Pronger/Niedermayer, Suter/Weber, Lidstrom/Rafalski.... without saying that it'd be as good.
If it actually forces Bylsma to think about matchups....all the better.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.