HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Huberdeau: Will he make the cut?

Old
04-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Tyler Durden

vCash: 500
Jonathan Huberdeau: Will he make the cut?

What does everyone think can you see Huberdeau making the team next year? I know its still playoff time but as a side note what everyone think?

Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:36 PM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 0
Yes.

/thread

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

He'll make it, as long as he puts on at least a few pounds of muscle. But I'm not expecting him to score 60 or 70 points and be our best forward like some people. I think he'll probably have a good rookie season, and break into the league at a similar pace points-wise to what Tavares, Giroux, etc. did.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:37 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Without a doubt he will. He has too much skill not to make an impact for next season.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
He'll make it, as long as he puts on at least a few pounds of muscle. But I'm not expecting him to score 60 or 70 points and be our best forward like some people. I think he'll probably have a good rookie season, and break into the league at a similar pace points-wise to what Tavares, Giroux, etc. did.
This. Must say, for as much as I'm enjoying the playoffs, I really am looking forward to watching what Santos and Tallon will do this off-season.

04-22-2012, 09:57 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

Id say he has 25-50 pt potential as a rookie. Id expect him to excel on the pp where he can focus on scoring alone and his natural talent will shine. he might score 10-20 pts on the pp alone. but he wont be a ppg player, he will have a hard time adjusting to playing with men. he will probably get sat in about 10 to 15 games, both for motivational reasons and for "the kid needs a rest" reasons. im hoping that much like gudbranson he will show a lot of maturation by year end.

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:22 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
Does Howdy Doody got wooden balls?

CatscratchFever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 10:44 PM
JPG

I've been following Huberdeau for a long time now. I don't think his problem will be scoring, he will be fine with that. If he doesn't put on weight and get stronger, he will be a defensive liability just because he will get run over. Once he gets that part down he will be a good player.

JPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2012, 11:26 PM
ShootIt

If he can't put on weight, not a lock he will make the team.

I think he will, but he isn't set in stone to be a player for us next year.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:23 AM
AaronEkbald
Lu

We will under 2 conditions..

1. He has a very strong camp

2. He is physically ready to endure the 82 game schedule.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Acadmus

Even if he doesn't, he's AHL-eligible next year isn't he? So even if he doesn't make the cut with the Panthers, he'll be a great addition to San Antonio and give them something to get excited about for at least part of a season.

04-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Quote:
Originally Posted by LassieMaven View Post
We will under 2 conditions..

1. He has a very strong camp

2. He is physically ready to endure the 82 game schedule.
Scratch #1 off the list. Dude had 6 goals during preseason.

I was ready for him to play this year after that showing.

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Even if he doesn't, he's AHL-eligible next year isn't he? So even if he doesn't make the cut with the Panthers, he'll be a great addition to San Antonio and give them something to get excited about for at least part of a season.
No I dont believe he would be eligible for the AHL. He's not even 19 yrs old yet (his bday is in June) and he's only played 3 junior seasons. The rule is that the player has to be either 20 yrs old by the end of Dec or they had to play 4 seasons in juniors.

I think he makes it since he's got the talent to play. Plenty of rookies come into the league needing to add weight and I wouldnt be surprised if he's the same way. The team will be better able to help him add weight by working with him on a daily basis than anywhere else. I dont believe he will be lighting up the scoreboard that much though as a result but he should put up around 20 pts at least.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post

Um no he didnt, he had 3 goals...all on the PP. No player in the preseason scored more than 4. And there were rookies that scored better than him that didnt make NHL squads.

And I'm sorry but you cant scratch #1 off the list. What he did this yr in the preseason is not the same as what he needs to do for next yr in camp. If he doesnt do anything in next yr's preseason, then no he wont make the team. Tallon and Santos have the right philosophy in that you need to show up every day and if you dont (even if you were great last yr), you're not going to be handed anything. So his #1 and #2 on that list above is what will determine if Huby makes the team next yr.

Old
04-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Ekblast
Formerly Akgoalie7

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Um no he didnt, he had 3 goals...all on the PP. No player in the preseason scored more than 4. And there were rookies that scored better than him that didnt make NHL squads.

And I'm sorry but you cant scratch #1 off the list. What he did this yr in the preseason is not the same as what he needs to do for next yr in camp. If he doesnt do anything in next yr's preseason, then no he wont make the team. Tallon and Santos have the right philosophy in that you need to show up every day and if you dont (even if you were great last yr), you're not going to be handed anything. So his #1 and #2 on that list above is what will determine if Huby makes the team next yr.
Same thing. Huber is our Chuck Norris of draft picks, therefore 3 goals automatically becomes 6.

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Neek

Some perspective on his stats down in QMJHL:

The Sea Dogs are currently in the semifinals. After winning round 1 4-0 and round 2 4-0, they are up 2-0 in the semis. Huby has 8 goals in the post season.

In the regular season he scored 30 goals and 42 assists (72pts) in just 37 games as he missed significant time due to injury. The leading scorer on the team, Danick Gauthier had 86 points in 66 games. So Huby was on pace to be the team's leading scorer. He seems to just keep producing just so long as he's on the ice.

Neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:32 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
No I dont believe he would be eligible for the AHL. He's not even 19 yrs old yet (his bday is in June) and he's only played 3 junior seasons. The rule is that the player has to be either 20 yrs old by the end of Dec or they had to play 4 seasons in juniors.

I think he makes it since he's got the talent to play. Plenty of rookies come into the league needing to add weight and I wouldnt be surprised if he's the same way. The team will be better able to help him add weight by working with him on a daily basis than anywhere else. I dont believe he will be lighting up the scoreboard that much though as a result but he should put up around 20 pts at least.
I know the rule, just thought he was older. If that's the case, he's got to make the NHL team this season - he's too good for another season in juniors. Just use him sparingly and work the hell out of him in practice Don't ruin him with overly high expectations, ease him into the lineup.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:59 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Of course he will, and I expect him putting up 40+ points..

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneThugsNHarmony View Post

I remember when we selected him and he was walking to the stage, they were saying that he will wow you in training camp but it would be a crime if we kept him up. He did wow and we did send him back down.

I have to believe he'll gain weight but let's say hypothetically that he didn't, would that be such a detriment? Just asking because I see a bunch more players smaller than him.

And obviously my measuring stick for Huby is Couturier. I just want Huby to be better. Don't want another Horton/Staal mishap.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Beezeral

i think you can put his name in pen for the 2nd line

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

Huberdeau should be able to put on some muscle once the season ends. If he can add 10-15 pounds, he will make the squad, no question. If he struggles to put on weight, he could still make the team out of camp, but the probability decreases quite a bit.

04-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
I know the rule, just thought he was older. If that's the case, he's got to make the NHL team this season - he's too good for another season in juniors. Just use him sparingly and work the hell out of him in practice Don't ruin him with overly high expectations, ease him into the lineup.
I figured you knew the rule but just wanted to clarify why he didn't qualify due to the rule. And yes he is too good for juniors that it would not make sense to send him back, wouldn't help for his development.

And I totally agree with you about easing him into the lineup. I hate seeing people on here expecting him to put up 40+ pts next yr or even being on the 2nd line. I look at Tyler Seguin who was a #2 overall pick with better size than Hubby and he put up 22 pts his rookie yr on the 3rd line (or use Couturier this yr putting up 27 pts). To me, that's the baseline of what to expect, 20-30 pts in a non-top 6 role while working on his defense and getting stronger at the NHL level.

Old
04-23-2012, 06:38 PM
p9ers

He'll be pissed if he's back in the Q. He's got nothing left to prove there and he won't learn that much defense either.

So the best for him, the NHL.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 07:04 PM
CanadianPantherFan

He needs to put on weight...he's known this for over a year now. If we wants the big leagues bad enough, this should be a non issue at this point and time.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 08:53 PM
BabyJagrov

I wonder why everybody is worried about him putting on some weight...

He is already one of the best two-way player in the CHL arguably, one of the most tenacious and he wants to be in the NHL next year...

He was one of our best offensive player in pre-season and one of our best PP performer...

He doesn't have anything left to learn in Junior, except for another great run at a Memorial Cup that will occur this year...

He'll be on this team next year, he is supposed to stand at 176 lbs lately, I don't see how his weight could be a problem ?

He'll compete with Tarasenko for the ROY imo.

Last edited by BabyJagrov: 04-23-2012 at 10:55 PM.
BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote