HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Discussion IX: Is it Sunday yet? (Contract/FA charts in Post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
News across the league is a bit too quiet as we approach July 1st. Isn't that a bit strange?
It's Saturday night man, everyone's out partying including GMs.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
trader997

I don't want Rick Nash plain and simple, the guy is good but i don't think he would be a great fit for Sid's line. On the other hand, Parise is probably the best winger for Crosby's game in the entire league after Martin St-Louis. Nash is a good player but he's making 7.8M/year, 1,8M$ too much imo. At that price give me Parise and i don't care if he wants 10M$/year, Parise must land in Pittsburgh.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Azkals

If you could unload Paul Martin in a trade for Rick Nash I'd consider it. Obviously the deal would depend on the other parts we would have to give up to trade for Nash, but trading Martin would ease my concerns about Nash's contract.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Jaded-Fan

Bob McKenzie ✔@TSNBobMcKenzie I assumed when PIT made big moves to clear cap space, it was for a run at UFA Parise but it seems UFA Suter is more likely primary target.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
If we're seriously considering 8 mill per for Parise, depending on the package we'd have to give up for Nash, I'd feel much less worse about acquiring him if we missed on the Parise boat.

Nash and Geno would be lethal together. Slide Neal on to Sids wing. A lot of people talk about Nash being the franchise player of a losing franchise, but I don't think it says much on Nash. They've never surrounded him with legit talent. If he came to us, he'd be worth his cap.

I really don't believe we have the assets to acquire Nash. They want forwards, and I don't want to sell the farm to get him.

A more realisitic trade option at forward is Patrick Marleau, and Jay Bouwmeester on defense. Now, I have been a critic of both of these players in the past, but given the insane money that is being handed out (i.e. Wideman), these players are on shorter-term deals and are still pretty darn good.

Anyone who doesn't think think Bouwmeester is the 2nd best defenseman available this summer behind Suter is deluding themselves. There was a rumor shortly after the draft that the Pens wanted a top-pairing Dman to play with Letang, and that if they couldn't get that player by UFA, they would look at a trade.

For those who simply slam J-Bo but offer no other suggestion of who to target, I ask who then should we target if we miss Suter?I know of no other top-pairing Dmen that are available on the trade market. No, Bryan Allen is not better, and if the Pens were satisfied with Martin in that role, they wouldn't be looking to sign Suter (or trade for someone else if they can't).

Old
06-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Bob McKenzie ✔@TSNBobMcKenzie I assumed when PIT made big moves to clear cap space, it was for a run at UFA Parise but it seems UFA Suter is more likely primary target.
I wouldn't HATE getting Suter, but I think the high-paid D-man in our system is more risky than the high paid winger.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:28 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
For **** sake...

Old
06-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Jaded-Fan

Maybe it is a stupid question, but with Detroit having shed so much salary, what kind of team do they have left? How are they a more attractive option than we are solely as a team?

Old
06-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Til the End of Time

as a fan of sid, i would like the penguins to sign parise. he deserves it.

however i think the penguins are a better team with suter than parise.

i would be thrilled with either. parise is the "sexier" choice though.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
For **** sake...
You know Shero. Bright shiny wing for Crosby available, perfect fit, but OMG, lookie at the defenseman. He can not help himself.

Anyone who did not see this coming from ten miles away was just fooling themselves.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:33 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
You know Shero. Bright shiny wing for Crosby available, perfect fit, but OMG, lookie at the defenseman. He can not help himself.
It never ends. Hey lets draft tons of defensemen, take the time to develop them for multiple seasons in junior and then in the AHL, then right when they are ready to break into the NHL we'll sign already proven and very expensive defensemen to play in front of them!

Old
trader997

Quote:
**** Suter, we want Parise! If we have a shot at Suter after signing Parise, then you go for him, not the other way around...

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Maybe it is a stupid question, but with Detroit having shed so much salary, what kind of team do they have left? How are they a more attractive option than we are solely as a team?
Their history and coach will get that team top ufa players. It's ridiculous but true.

Old
GenoMachino71

with Suter not likely deciding within the first 72 hours at the earliest, I dont think it really matters

Shero will go after Parise.... if he misses, he can still give all his attention to Suter.... if the Penguins land Parise, they can still go hard after Suter and then look to move Martin/Kennedy to clear salary if they somehow can sign him

Old
06-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Hockey Shmokey

Quote:
Bob tweeted that on June 23 but I was listening to TSN radio just yesterday (or the day before) and he said, that he initially thought it was gonna be Parise and then changed his mind and thought it was Suter but now he thinks they are actually going for Parise. At this point I just want it all to be over so I can know who we're getting (or who we're not getting).

Old
06-30-2012, 10:35 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Stop and look at actions before listening to words. I think it's both.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:36 PM
GenoMachino71

Quote:
the thing is, the Penguins can always get a winger through trade if they have to

they have the young defensemen prospects to get a quality player in return

they did it with Goligoski and Whitney to land Kunitz/Neal, and they'll do it again if they sign Suter and still need to land a winger for Crosby

no matter what happens, I trust Shero and I trust Lemieux, who I'm sure also has an input in decisions and is talking with Shero

Old
06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
GenoMachino71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Shmokey View Post
Bob tweeted that on June 23 but I was listening to TSN radio just yesterday and he said, that he initially thought it was gonna be Parise and then changed his mind and thought it was Suter but now he thinks they are actually going for Parise.
I really dont think it matters who their #1 target is anyways

its not like they have to choose one or the other tomorrow

I highly doubt they dont go hard after Parise tomorrow/Monday to wait on having a small chance of getting Suter

they can go after Parise tomorrow.... if they land him, GREAT.... they still have the option of making a push for Suter, and if they can land him, move Martin/Kennedy for salary space

if they miss on Parise, they can go even harder after Suter and offer more money if they want to

so again, I dont think it matters who their #1 target is, because it sounds like both guys have different time frames for making a decision and the Penguins will be able to make a pitch for both

Old
06-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Im starting to hate shero. Were gonna roll out 18 defenseman and send Sid and geno to the minors.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:42 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Im starting to hate shero. Were gonna roll out 18 defenseman and send Sid and geno to the minors.
I think you are being sarcastic, but this is the over reaction I expect tomorrow. Shero will be in on Parise. If he doesn't sign, people will pull the ******** defense card.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Their history and coach will get that team top ufa players. It's ridiculous but true.
I understand, but the Pens rep has to be nearly as good. And they are loaded. They shipped off Staal and actually seem to have gotten better doing so. If you are a FA, what will you trust? Crosby and Malkin and this organization, or Redwing magic? Especially a wing. My God, who else would you want as your center?

The numbers just hit me though, that the Redwings had over $20 million to spend. That is great, but it made me wonder about the team they had left. Is it as strong as ours?

Old
06-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
I understand, but the Pens rep has to be nearly as good. And they are loaded. They shipped off Staal and actually seem to have gotten better doing so. If you are a FA, what will you trust? Crosby and Malkin and this organization, or Redwing magic? Especially a wing. My God, who else would you want as your center?

The numbers just hit me though, that the Redwings had over $20 million to spend. That is great, but it made me wonder about the team they had left. Is it as strong as ours?
Take Martin out of the equation and they're are around 19.0, not bad.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:48 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:

Lets just say they clean up tomorrow and sign Suter, Parise, Semin and Allen. They're favorites to win the cup, if you ask me.

Dats, Franz, Zetters, Semin, and Parise up front is ridiculous. Semin and Datsyuk have pretty sick chemistry, judging for the Worlds.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:49 PM
mpp9

If we miss out on Parise, Shero better have a hell of a backup plan. We need two legit top six options if we miss out on him IMO. Especially on a post-Staal team.

I'm sure not gonna be pissed if we sign Suter and trade for struggling top 6 options that fit the system.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:52 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Shmokey View Post
Bob tweeted that on June 23 but I was listening to TSN radio just yesterday (or the day before) and he said, that he initially thought it was gonna be Parise and then changed his mind and thought it was Suter but now he thinks they are actually going for Parise. At this point I just want it all to be over so I can know who we're getting (or who we're not getting).

Guys, relax! It's all part of the plan to get both

Remember: right after we made the Staal trade, Pierre McGuire was pimping HARD the Pens going after Zach Parise. Then, Bob McKenzie said he thought it was going to be Suter.

This was clearly the work of Shero -- or perhaps the real mastermind of the Pens, mascquerading as their 4th line C in Joe Vitale -- who is leaking the words out to the media to send messages to both Suter and Parise that they're in our sights.

Closed Thread