HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keep hearing Bouwmeester is getting moved to Boston...for who?

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Lordstanley
Bandwagonaire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Um, what?

When does Chiarelli go out and overspend on overrated players?

And Bouwmeester isn't an FA. He won't be for two years. Unless you're implying that Chiarelli is going to trade for him, which makes no sense whatsoever, considering the state of the Bruins defense and their cap situation.

In short, I don't know what on earth you're talking about.
Talking about if he traded for him . Also talking about overspending for Nash and that wouldn't happen either . Not sure if you understand ?
And if he did and could get Nash or Zach would you think he would have to overpaid for their services ?

Last edited by Lordstanley: 06-30-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old
06-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Mountain

Biggest stiff in the league.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:34 PM
00BW

One thing is for certain. If they do trade for Jaybo, Krejci is being traded at next year's draft for picks/prospects. His cap space will be consumed by Seguin, Marchand, and Rask (I don't think Lucic gets any more money).That consequence is another thing to consider if this trade happens. If the Bruins can get an extra 1st and 2nd in next year's super-draft, that could be OK all-around especially if Bouwmeester and Krejci, both on the team, help the Bs win another cup this year.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
just read the Calgary board about J-bo and overall he gets killed; the majority is down on him as soft and overrated, overpaid. Well, they watch him more than us, but we get to see a pretty highlight here and there. He'll become the whipping boy within 10 games here.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:58 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
just read the Calgary board about J-bo and overall he gets killed; the majority is down on him as soft and overrated, overpaid. Well, they watch him more than us, but we get to see a pretty highlight here and there. He'll become the whipping boy within 10 games here.
I can see the feeling that because of the cap hit and the fact that he was a huge addition at the time and didn't live up to the fanfare. We'd be bitter too if Chara turned out to be far less than expected, even if he was still a very good player. Plus Flames fans are most likely in a surly mood already because they drafted a high school kid they could've gotten 20 picks later.

I just think with Bouwmeester's pedigree he can turn it around in a new situation. If the Bs can upgrade the defence without losing a ton, I'm for it. Even if scoring is needed.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
nfld77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BW View Post
One thing is for certain. If they do trade for Jaybo, Krejci is being traded at next year's draft for picks/prospects. His cap space will be consumed by Seguin, Marchand, and Rask (I don't think Lucic gets any more money).That consequence is another thing to consider if this trade happens. If the Bruins can get an extra 1st and 2nd in next year's super-draft, that could be OK all-around especially if Bouwmeester and Krejci, both on the team, help the Bs win another cup this year.

You called next draft "Super-draft"...Supposed to be a good crop??

Old
06-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post
Keep hearing that Boston is in talks with Calgary for Bouwmeester. Who are they planning on moving for him? I am assuming Calgary wants a forward and a prospect.
if the deal goes down we can use logic to figure it out... we start with thinking where does bouwmeister fit in? He isnt going to play above Chara. One of Seidenberg or Boychuck will be Chara's parter probably... if not then one of them with be Bouwmeister's parter. Then we have Hamilton in the mix.

we have 5 names here and only 4 spots in the roster. Ference/McQuaid are slotted in the other 2 spots and paid according to grade. So we have 4 big min/big paycheck spots and 5 names...

the logic says one of them goes... and whether they go to Calgary or some other team is open to some argument but I will suggest why not to Calgary?

Because when we look at the names... we know Hamilton isnt going... and we know Chara isnt going... and Bouwmeister is coming... so there is only 2 names left and 1 is on the outs.

I suggest Seidenberg is the better partner for Chara at playoff time. We seen this during the cup run and again last year.

So now we ask where does Boychuck fit in? He is too expensive to keep if he is a 5/6 depth guy. It doesn't matter that he is a better player then Ference or McQuaid because we simply cant afford this much money in our 5/6 depth role...

so we ask ourselves... is Boychuck the ideal partner to put next to Hamilton over the next couple years of Hamilton's development? Remember both are RH shots. Remember that Boychuck isnt fleet of foot and isnt rock solid defensively.

Boychuck is from Alberta... played his junior hockey in Calgary. Calgary's three best dmen they are building around are Girodano/Wideman/Bordy... small skilled guys. Calgary needs a couple bigger bangers to round out their team.

Boychuck is perfect for them... and Bouwmeister is an upgrade for us.

So I suggest this trade is self explanatory if it goes down... Bouwmeister the key piece coming this way... Boychuck the key piece going that way. The move is a contract dump for them. The move is designed to give us the more ideal partner for Hamilton.

IMHO Bouwmeister has more trade valie then Boychuck so I would suspect we add to this deal... but not much. Calgary is a motivated seller with few suitors. Bouwmeister is overpaid. At most I would add a second rounder but id be hesitatnt to go even that high.

the hit to our cap is 3.5 mill per year if we do this deal. It will push us to the limits of what we can afford. I think it is worth it though. If we trade Thomas later we can add someone else using his money. So we arent without options for improvement at the deadline.

Bouwmeister is a horse that handles 25 mins a game without breaking down. He is one of the best shutdown defenders in the nhl. He has been able to be a 10+ gola and 40+ guy when used on a PP. It is a mistake to call him a gifted PP QB because the honest truth is he isnt very smart with the puck... but his skills are way above average and perhaps some coaching/confidence could get better results from him then he got in Calgary?

If we pick him up I see Chara/Seidenberg being assigned to be our top shutdown guys... our top pk guys... they will be moved to second pair pp guys to keep their mins down.They will probably skate with The Bergeron line and the Kelly line for the most part.

Bouwmeister and Hamilton then become our top PP unit and skate with the Krecji line. Bouwmeister will see more icetime then Hamilton and will do some PK work.

Ference/Mcquaid fill in as needed in whatever time is left over... either could step up into Hamilton's spot in games where Hamilton is struggling. They would skate the majority of their shifts with our fourth line.

Klug is first man off the bench if anyone gets hurt

Its a damn damn damn good group of 7 dmen on paper. If Hamilton has any sort of impact at all this could be one damn good group.

And worst case if Hamilton didnt have a good season... we can still add someone at the deadline for the playoffs.

Ference and McQuaid can play more mins in regular season if Hamilton was struggling... so we could gamble on Hamilton and still fix this if we get Bouwmeister instead of Boychuck.

Put me in favor of this exchange bigtime

Old
06-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
ummmmmmm, what? this is where you not actually watching games on TV causes problems. bouwmeester makes wideman look like andy delmore defensively. probably worse, actually. jay's biggest "problem" is that he's just a really solid defenseman who doesn't hit or generate a lot of offense. really good player, eats minutes, tremendous skater, bad cap hit.
agreed... bouwmeister is constantly thrown onto the ice for 25 mins a night against the other team's top offensive players and he gets the job done. this is despite playing on super crappy teams with very limited talent to work with and poor team defensive strategy and work ethic.

he wont play a very physical style of play but then again he doesnt draw cheap penalties either. he is a pure skill guy with amazing wheels.

the reason boumeister isnt a fan favorite is he wont play physical and a lot of fans are uneducated and cheer big checks over fundamental play. and he wont produce offense that is a reflection of his raw skills either. Even uneducated fans take one look at this guys wheels and say hes amazing skater. He shoots the puck well. He passes the puck with skill. So when he doesnt produce points the uneducated fan calls him lazy or unmotivated.

the truth is that he just isnt very creative on the ice as far as his offense goes. It is possible that his confidence is shattered. Maybe his paycheck was too big and he couldnt earn it and he couldnt get calgary into the playoffs. Maybe he wilted under the preasure in calgary

In florida his average pp time was up over 4 mins per game... in calgary its about half of that. So maybe the reduction in his production is simply because he isnt the feature player in calgarys pp like he was in florida

whatevr the case... I dont think we could trade for him and expect a turnaround in his production. A turnaround is possible but not to be counted upon. We can count on a guy that is a legitimate number 1 dman on about one third of the teams in the NHL. A guy that would be most teamès best defender... best pk guy... top minute eater.

This is a guy that can cover up a ton of rookie mistakes from his partner. This is guy who has played against top lines his entire career and for the first time ever would be allowed to fit into a less preasured 2nd pair role.

we cant get past the fact he is overpaid. but if we can afford it he is a clear upgrade over boychuck or daresay seidenberg too if chara were to go down at playoff time. This is bigtime insurance for us... bigtime depth increase.

it fits perfect with our plans to develope Dougie Hamilton. The only real argument to be made against this potential move is caphit and whatever the potential cost of trade assets are.

Otherwise its a BOLD move by Chiarelli which I am going to be overjoyed to cheer on the day it might happen and everyday afterthat which Bouwmeister remains a member of this team I love so much

Old
06-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
If Bouw is that much of a shutdown D isn't Feaster asking for Seidenberg?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:39 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

We can't fit a case of beer on the roster and still be under the cap, how can we add Bouwmeester?

Hell, a case of beer is more useful than Bouwmeester. He's a solid addition at $3 million a year.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:43 PM
agreen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
We can't fit a case of beer on the roster and still be under the cap, how can we add Bouwmeester?

Hell, a case of beer is more useful than Bouwmeester. He's a solid addition at $3 million a year.
Barring the move of Boychuk or Seids the net gain in cap would be covered by moving TT or savards LTIR money.

I was not in favor of this trade at all until I was convinced by Alberta oreilly fan, he made it sound very appealing. I would only consider if the deal involved Boychuk and not Seids.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:49 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Jay Bouwmeester is significantly better than Seidenberg. Period.

I'm sorry Dojji but that statement is so bad and so wrong... I don't even know where to start.

OT: does anybody else have a pic of Brian Burke on the one dollar bill on their screens? WTF is up with that?
Seidenberg was the most consistantly solid dman on the Stanley cup run for the Bruins 2 years ago and was the same this past playoff against the Caps in round one. Boumeester has been and continues to be a completely over rated bust who has done diddly squat. When are people going to wake up and realize the Hype on this guy was just simply way over the top and quite frankly never justified. He's not a horrible dman, just not an all star as so many seem to think based on what was originally expected of him. Wouldn't trade Seidenberg straight up for him even if you doubled his salary to bring him up to Jaybo's level.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Brad Marchand ($2.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Tyler Seguin ($3.550m)
Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m)
Jordan Caron ($1.100m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Shawn Thornton ($1.100m)
Brian Rolston ($0.750m) / Marc Savard ($4.007m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m)
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Dougie Hamilton ($1.494m)
Andrew Ference ($2.250m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Torey Krug ($1.704m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tim Thomas ($5.000m)
Tuukka Rask ($3.500m)
Anton Khudobin ($0.875m)
BUYOUTS
Patrick Eaves ($0.258m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $73,985,476; BONUSES: $3,912,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster):- $3,785,476

my roster after the bouwmeister deal... i throw an ufa offer at rolston cause the dude wasnt finished last year and he is flexible and plays all 3 forward positions. He is eligible for a bonus laiden deal. I only include a base salary here so i dont screw up the cap manager.

the 3,785 overage is offset by the 4 mill ltir money

we dont have to move thomas... can sit on him until he is ready to play and deal him on our own terms. If for some reason the cap goes down in the new CBA then maybe have to deal him sooner... but cross that bridge when we come to it.

Next season Thomas and Horton come off the books for 9 mill. 9 mill will cover Seguins and Marchands and Rasks and Lucics expected raises. 3 for seguin is a huge raise... 2 for the other guys are all huge raises.

i havent even touched on the reality that not all the bonuses will be earnt or that the cap should likely go up again next year.

i guess with horton off the books... we have to figure out what to do with his spot in the lineup but luckily we got spooner and knight and the russian kid around trying to compete for spots... not to mention there is rumors again about soderberg wanting to try north america.

our future lies with seguin being able to prove he is a legitimate top 2 pick and becoming our superstar. If that happens then most the other dominoes will fall into place. If it does not happen then we are going to be an upper middle of the pack team with a chance for a couple rounds of playoff success. later on we can break up the core of this team and go crazy with a rebuild if we have too... but this is a team that is one year removed from winning the cup. this core deserves a chance to stay together for the next 2-3-4 years and get another chance to win one together. Chara wont last forever so no radical rebuild now is my vote.

At most... try to upgrade the 3 4 defense spot and that is accomplished by bringing in bouwmeister with hamilton hopefully

and then maybe move seguin to center... which would make krecji expendable in a deal and open up a hole on the wing. If we decide to go in this direction... it will be because seguin forces us to. We will be dealing from strength. It is a good problem to have if it rears its ugly head.

If we could find a soft landing spot for Horton now... in a trade... and could add Jaromir Jagr at a cheaper cap hit then Id be in favor of the switch. Jagr is the LH shot we need for the PP and a better partner to bring out the best in Krecji. Horton has trade value and would bring us some sort of asset.

I dont see Horton here beyond this year because of cap concerns... health issues. Even though Horton is much younger then Jagr it really isnt an issue for me cause I dont see either guy here beyond this year. Of course, if Jagr wanted to come back and was affordable... then sure Id bring him back.

So keep Thomas for now... only deal him if we are forced to later... Get Bouwmeister for Boychuck... and maybe move Horton if Jagr lands into our lap but only at a caphit of 4 mill or less.

Moving Thomas and Horton might get us as much as 2 first round picks or the equivlent of such and whether we kept those assets or used them to find a cheap ready replacement for our hole on RW next year it is all just good stuff.

Chiarelli has us sitting in the cats seat now and we got some very attractive options how to proceed. And worst case if we sit still... this is still a team that won a cup 2 years ago and was one goal away from double overtime in game 7 of possibly getting to a second straight finals. Its not like ny was measurable better then washington... not like new jersey was measurably better then ny. These playoffs were a game of bounces anc chances and none went our way. We were flat as flat can be and still got to game 7 and double overtime.

we didnt suck... we just didnt win. and when we won the cup we werent juggernaughts that steamrolled everyone. We went to game 7 three times so we could have lost on a bounce of the puck then too. One year the breaks went for us... the other they didnt... thats how close we are from heros to zeros.

we dont need racical reconstruction surgury... all we need is to let the assets we already have get the best possible chance for success. Bring in someone to help the PP maybe... someone to help Krecji maybe... someone to help Hamilton and Seguin if possible.

Keep our strengths.. our size... our fight... but address our weakness... our skill level and skating.

and do it all within the budget... my suggestions do all this but im sure whatever Chiarelli decides will also work out. I have faith

Im ready to cheer
so Go Bruins go

Old
06-30-2012, 11:53 PM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen23 View Post
Barring the move of Boychuk or Seids the net gain in cap would be covered by moving TT or savards LTIR money.

I was not in favor of this trade at all until I was convinced by Alberta oreilly fan, he made it sound very appealing. I would only consider if the deal involved Boychuk and not Seids.
He's been trying to make a case for Bouwmeester for 2 years.

I've watched in the neighbourhood of 40 Flame games over the last couple of years, the guy is not that good. He looks the part, big, long strides but he has ZERO physical presence offers almost no offense (even though he has a great skill set) and wilts when he is pressured and hit. Bouwmeester would be the least physical defenseman on the roster the moment he walked in the door and he offers almost none of what we need from the backend...a powerplay quarterback.

If we traded Boychuk to clear room for him I'd be very upset...if we traded Seidenberg to clear cap to get him I'd want Chiarelli committed to an asylum.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:56 PM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
ummmmmmm, what? this is where you not actually watching games on TV causes problems. bouwmeester makes wideman look like andy delmore defensively. probably worse, actually. jay's biggest "problem" is that he's just a really solid defenseman who doesn't hit or generate a lot of offense. really good player, eats minutes, tremendous skater, bad cap hit.
I agree with this. Bouwmeester with his current cap hit is what I called him in my post above, basically a complete stiff. Bouwmeester at 3.5-4.5 million? I'll take him.

That said, I still think he is a non physical guy who wilts when he gets hit.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:15 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
Seidenberg was the most consistantly solid dman on the Stanley cup run for the Bruins 2 years ago and was the same this past playoff against the Caps in round one. Boumeester has been and continues to be a completely over rated bust who has done diddly squat. When are people going to wake up and realize the Hype on this guy was just simply way over the top and quite frankly never justified. He's not a horrible dman, just not an all star as so many seem to think based on what was originally expected of him. Wouldn't trade Seidenberg straight up for him even if you doubled his salary to bring him up to Jaybo's level.
Hey, I love Seidenberg, he meshes great with Chara but he has never and could never, be a number one dman. He isn't nearly as effective when the B's separate him from Chara, and he's the guy carrying his pair- and that's even with him getting to play against 2nd lines.

JayBo is an elite skating, shut down D who moves the puck well and plays 25 minutes a night, in all situations, against first lines, with a dog **** partner. I think if you put JayBo on the 2nd pair on this team, with the way this team plays 5/5 and the matchups he'd get, he'd lead the league in plus/minus.

07-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
He's been trying to make a case for Bouwmeester for 2 years.

I've watched in the neighbourhood of 40 Flame games over the last couple of years, the guy is not that good. He looks the part, big, long strides but he has ZERO physical presence offers almost no offense (even though he has a great skill set) and wilts when he is pressured and hit. Bouwmeester would be the least physical defenseman on the roster the moment he walked in the door and he offers almost none of what we need from the backend...a powerplay quarterback.

If we traded Boychuk to clear room for him I'd be very upset...if we traded Seidenberg to clear cap to get him I'd want Chiarelli committed to an asylum.
you will admit though I say basically the same thing as you... only a bit more fair. If he actually did wilt as you say then he really couldnt stick around the NHL and earn himself consideration for team canada nomination... a 6 mill contract... a top 3 draft spot...

smarter hockey people then you and i have judged him worthy of these types of pats on the back and stamps of approval.

and his coaches who dont want to befired throw the guy onto the ice 25 mins a night. night after night

i guess youd agree with me florida as a team sucked when bouwmeister was there... calgary as a team has sucked since bouwmeister got there. Is this the fault of one player

bouwmeister wont part the red sea or let anyone walk on water... and its easy to look at that cap hit and think he should have these godlike powers. i will be the first one to admit he is overpaid

i just also say we can afford to overpay him because of smart cap management in other spots in the lineup... smart planning for the future.

and i say we should afford it because the upgrade is worth the cost

if you are freaked out over his lack of physical play... then what can i say. I sure cant say you are wrong about how little physical play he contributes. We all know he isnt going to throw the body.

You say this makes him a marginal player though that you might take at half the cost. I say he is still a guy that was a top 3 pick.. a guy that is still always in the mix for team canada selections... still a guy that any coach would feel comfortable throwing onto the ice for 25 mins a game while expecting to get a high level of NHL hockey out of him.

I am sure alot of fans here would boo Bouwmeister cause he isnt physical and wont rack up tons of points... but I wouldnt be one of them. I can appreciate very skilled players who go out and get the job done on talent alone.

I sure as hell wouldnt want a whole team of Bouwmeisters but our team has Chara who plays physical.. and McQuaid who does... Ference and Seidenberg who dont have size but have snarl to their game... and Hamilton who is a small hulk in developlent but doesnt play physical either. Hamilton is probably going to be a very similar player to Bouwmeister when all is said and done. We obviously hope Hamilton has more smarts then Bouwmeister but Hamilton is going to need to learn to play NHL quality shutdown d without being able to rely on his phsyical advantage at the NHL level cause he isnt playing against boys anymore. He is going to be against men now and if he isnt willing to rough it up then he will need to learn the same tricks Bouwmeister already has mastered

Im not saying for one minute we are trading for a Norris trophy guy here... but we might end up with the best damn number 3 depth guy in the entire league and that wont be so shabby. I say the cap works... we can afford it... make it so

Old
07-01-2012, 12:17 AM
agreen23

@Unified, I agree with his la k of physicality but in assessing his play and his numbers you need to remember how miserable Calgary is and the role he plays on that team. Playing in the second pairing here would be a luxury that allows him to thrive with a rookie by his side. He is used to playing a lot of minutes against the best competition in the NHL..

Old
07-01-2012, 12:21 AM
00BW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfld77 View Post
You called next draft "Super-draft"...Supposed to be a good crop??
At the very least it is the best since 2003 and has the potential to be even better. There are probably 5 players from the 2013 that, if eligible, would have gone before anyone in this 2012 draft. And they all have another year to grow even better.

You can see the eligibles here on HF and what they've done this year: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=992527

If you google "2013 mock nhl draft" you can read a review of the top 10 that ridiculously doesn't even include Kerby Rychel or see guesses on the order of the 1st round picks.

Of the 2013s I've only seen Monahan on TV and that was only 2 games. He definitely stood out. I thought I was watching a current NHL Bergeron. Same size with more speed, the kid was backchecking the opponents hard on every shift. One play, the other guy had a step on him and scored. Monahan's very next shift, he went straight down the other end and got that goal back. Obviously made an impression.

Old
07-01-2012, 12:33 AM
GloveSave1
Back in Black

I can't see Chia bringing in that kinda dough, for that player, at that position, no less. But who knows? Iginla makes more senseIMO .

Adding Thomas and subtracting Jay Bo (or Iginla for that matter) would really clear a lot of cash for CAL. Maybe that's where these rumors are coming from...

Man, I'd be shocked if something like this happened. Forget about his ability, Jay Bo just makes so much. What a wacky out of no-where and potentially crippling move...

But I'd be even more shocked if Seidenberg was shipped out of town. I'd be floored. I literally think I'd sit in silence in my chair for like 10 mins staring off into space......

I wouldn't have any problem moving Boychuk. I like the kid. He really busted his *** last year, and I appreciated that, but outside of providing mins, his defensive skills are serviceable and his offensive skills are rarely seen. I'd love to move Ference, but he probably won't go anywhere with his very reasonable contract. Man, though, his performance in last year's playoffs was epically bad. He just seemed out to lunch, making bonehead plays. Hopefully that won't continue.

Last edited by GloveSave1: 07-01-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old
07-01-2012, 12:36 AM
nfld77

AOF has me convinced!!!

Old
07-01-2012, 12:56 AM
Orrthebest

I sorry folks but there is a reason or should I say a few reasons Calgary is looking to dump. You can call it heart, character, or compete level it doesn't matter because Bouwmeester does not have it.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:04 AM
00BW

If/when Thomas is traded to free up cap space for a move like this, I hope it is to Colorado. Since he moved his family out there, I think there is a good chance he plays for them this year. I'd hate to see him go out like this. He would also be a great steadying force for Varlamov and help make them a playoff team.

My ideal trade would be Thomas + Lucic for Landeskog. Unfortunately, the Bruins GM doesn't have the balls for that. Of course, Colorado probably doesn't like this but they are a very small team that gets pushed around a lot. I know they added Downie who plays big but is physically quite small (Koko is the same size). I think McLeod and Jones are the only 2 forwards over 6'. Plus, they get Thomas for a couple years.

This would free up plenty of money to trade for JayBo. Personally, I'd prefer to trade Boychuck or Ference instead of McQuaid but Boychuck has an NTC and the Bruins GM loves Ference.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
I can't see Chia bringing in that kinda dough, for that player, at that position, no less. But who knows? Iginla makes more senseIMO .

Adding Thomas and subtracting Jay Bo (or Iginla for that matter) would really clear a lot of cash for CAL. Maybe that's where these rumors are coming from...

Man, I'd be shocked if something like this happened. Forget about his ability, Jay Bo just makes so much. What a wacky out of no-where and potentially crippling move...

But I'd be even more shocked if Seidenberg was shipped out of town. I'd be floored. I literally think I'd sit in silence in my chair for like 10 mins staring off into space......

I wouldn't have any problem moving Boychuk. I like the kid. He really busted his *** last year, and I appreciated that, but outside of providing mins, his defensive skills are serviceable and his offensive skills are rarely seen. I'd love to move Ference, but he probably won't go anywhere with his very reasonable contract. Man, though, his performance in last year's playoffs was epically bad. He just seemed out to lunch, making bonehead plays. Hopefully that won't continue.
moving iginla makes sense to almost everyone on the planet except those that matter. they hired iginlas good friend gelinas to be a new coach to keep iginla happy. they brought back camerelli to keep iginla happy. they arent going to deal iginla unless iginla asks for a trade

and there is no indication at all that iginla wants a trade. he is almost the face of the nhl in canada behind crosby these days... he gets endorsements. he is like a god in calgary and seems to like the lifestyle of the city. maybe he would move on as an ufa but i dont think he wants anyone to think he asked for a trade and calgary wont take the first step and try to move him until he does.

for a brief time this summer i thought there was rumblings that iginla was open to a trade... then they all went away. it isnt going to happen

as for why calgary wants to move bouwmeister... and i see another voice saying he has no heart-no compete... the truth is you simply cant play in the NHL with no heart and no compete.

bouweister will frustrate fans because he isnt able to show you his heart-compete with big hits or tons of points. Most fans are not able to appreciate solid positional defense and ability to get to the right spot at the right time to make clean defensive shut down plays. Those same fans are able to go to capgeek and see that Jay is making 6.8 mill a year.

It takes zero brains at all to want to boo bouwmeister and it takes a ton of sophisticate appreciation to be willing to throw him on the ice for 25 mins a night and put him in the top 8-10 considerations for team canada.

unfortunately for calgary... most their fans find it easier to boo jay and blame him for not being a 50 point scorer then they find it to actually say he is worth the money.

Wideman will score more points then Bouwmeister as a lower cap hit... and calgary is treading water anyhow... so calgary gets to tell their fans that they are trying. that they are making moves.

It wasnt working the other way anyhow. Calgary wanted Bouwmeister to be a 6.8 mill pp qb and number 1 stud horse. Even his biggest fan in the world now knows this is asking too much of the guy. He has the raw skills to suggest he could do this.. but he doesnt have the overdrive of compete needed.. the warrior level of heart needed... the gretzky orr type creativity needed.

Im going to give you this... that when you measure his own compete-heart up against the majority of most nhl players it will place near the bottom of the pile. But he has enough. And his skill level is elite and at the top of the pile.

this is a guy that does get serious consideration for team canada when the team gets puts together... this is a guy whose coaches always make their number 1 guy. this isnt some guy that wilts and withers and disappears and cant compete.

his one big damning flaw is that he is overpaid. other then that he is one of the very best defensive shutdown guys in the league and talented enough to be an elite number 1 dman if only he could get the most out of his talents. He isnt that old yet that he is completely beyond the ability to coach a bit. If we take the preasure off of him of being the number 1 guy on a crap team and let him play in the shadow of Chara on a very good team then its not insane to think we might get a bit better results.

But im not supporting this trade because i expect better results. I support it even if all we end up with is the same guy that played the last 2 years in calgary. that guy was still a 25 min a night guy on a real horrible team that came inches away from the playoffs both years on the strength of its defense-goaltending and not its coaching or offense

Old
07-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BW View Post
If/when Thomas is traded to free up cap space for a move like this, I hope it is to Colorado. Since he moved his family out there, I think there is a good chance he plays for them this year. I'd hate to see him go out like this. He would also be a great steadying force for Varlamov and help make them a playoff team.

My ideal trade would be Thomas + Lucic for Landeskog. Unfortunately, the Bruins GM doesn't have the balls for that. Of course, Colorado probably doesn't like this but they are a very small team that gets pushed around a lot. I know they added Downie who plays big but is physically quite small (Koko is the same size). I think McLeod and Jones are the only 2 forwards over 6'. Plus, they get Thomas for a couple years.

This would free up plenty of money to trade for JayBo. Personally, I'd prefer to trade Boychuck or Ference instead of McQuaid but Boychuck has an NTC and the Bruins GM loves Ference.
i love lucic soooo much but if this deal gets offered to us you can bet everydollar you own that chiarelli has the balls for it

thomas family is in colorado... and we need to accept his word that he is taking time off to be with them... and as compasionate human beings we need to wish them well

as fans who got some great service from thomas in the past... we hope he is telling the truth that this is all that is involved as far as his reasons go for screwing the team over now.

with that said... i say keep him and give him his time off. suspend him. protect our asset. dont trade from a position of weakness. give the guy all the humanitarian time he needs. if he never comes back then say best of wishes and hope all is well in his personal life BUT if he does come back then make it be on our terms

we front loaded this guys contract and gave him a ntc for his benefit... and now we took away that ntc so we could deal him for an asset after honoring our side of the bargain.

if he can get us the swedish kid though... then by god yes. Make that deal any day of the week absolutely.

realistically... dont see it happening. Ultimately see thomas moving maybe to toronto or chicago at this point. i guess louongo ends up in florida but im not sure why thats smart. i guess brodeur ends up in either chicago or toronto. probably makes berniers logical landing spot out to be new jersey. when all that dust settles one of chicago-toronto will be the one left standing at the dancefloor with no partner to waltz with.

cant even begin to guess at the return till we see which team it is and if my other predictions come true... but both teams do have expendable assets id take with a smile so it should work out. have faith

Closed Thread