HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

cchl 2012-2013 season

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2012, 03:45 PM
ottawafan66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitans View Post
Wow, Kanata is really loading up...3 kids from USA Major Midget. And then they will complain when the "local" fans don't show up..
Brockville has just tweeted some signings:

F Erik Brown from Peterborough AAA Major Midget
G Matt Jenkins (no not that one) from Newfoundland AAA Major Midget 5' 8", 155 lbs.
F Anthony Pino from Philadelphia (93 I think)
F Griffin Molino from Detroit Little Caesars AAA Major Midget 38GP 7G 9A 16PTS 8PIM last year
F Jonathan Power from Chicago
D Jay Kourkoulis from Laval, QC

I'm sensing a trend.

Last edited by ottawafan66: 08-03-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 04:16 PM
KL14

Are CCHL Teams charging American kids to play hockey here in Canada or is it just the case that there is no local talent available ?

I commented on this issue before and got the "it's a business" response from a few posters...what is the "business" of providing Americans a place to play? There must be more to it than bringing people in to the rink as I think bringing in a bunch of Americans has no little to no impact on attendence...there must be something more to it...maybe this is the real player development fee !

I wonder how the teams are doing trying to find billets for these kids.

Last edited by KL14: 08-03-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old
08-03-2012, 04:20 PM
KL14

Great Pick UP

Brockville signs a kid from the US who has 7 goals and 9 assists in 38 games ? Great pick up.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
Are CCHL Teams charging American kids to play hockey here in Canada or is it just the case that there is no local talent available ?

I commented on this issue before and got the "it's a business" response from a few posters...what is the "business" of providing Americans a place to play? It has to more than bringing people in to the rink as I think it has no impact on attendence...there must be something more to it.

I've heard that some teams keep a portion of the billeting fees after paying billets around $300/month.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
MacM

Quote:

I commented on this issue before and got the "it's a business" response from a few posters...what is the "business" of providing Americans a place to play? There must be more to it than bringing people in to the rink as I think bringing in a bunch of Americans has no little to no impact on attendence...there must be something more to it...maybe this is the real player development fee !

I think for a US citizen who is a decent hockey player, a $300/month investment in billeting to try to get a scholarship to even just offset the cost of a US $25-40k per year education is a gamble I would take.

But, your post made me think of another issue... I wonder if there are visas issues etc. they have to clear....

Old
08-03-2012, 05:09 PM
stickhandle

teams just take who they think are the best players, to think that they would take an import player over a local player ( that is just as good)that would cost them nothing is ridiculous

Old
08-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacM View Post
I think for a US citizen who is a decent hockey player, a $300/month investment in billeting to try to get a scholarship to even just offset the cost of a US $25-40k per year education is a gamble I would take.

But, your post made me think of another issue... I wonder if there are visas issues etc. they have to clear....
Not really an "investment" more like a savings...not even sure it covers the food bill.

Old
08-03-2012, 05:53 PM
upinarms

Quote:
Brockville signs a kid from the US who has 7 goals and 9 assists in 38 games ? Great pick up.
This will be a good comparison. A 1994 birth year player brought in as an import with 16 points in 38 games. Let's remember this and compare him throughout the season with Colin Kruse who B'ville traded to Cumberland and who is a year younger. Who will have more points in CCHL by xmas??????????

Old
08-03-2012, 06:00 PM
stickhandle

points dont always tell you who is the better player for your club, it is certainly one of the measuring sticks but not the only one

Old
08-03-2012, 06:05 PM
stickhandle

the problem with camps sometimes you have to make a decision on 3 days of scrimmages (no exibition games) if you dont sign some of these players they are gone

Old
08-03-2012, 08:08 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
Many teams in the CJHL have brought in talent from south of the Border ignoring local talent. Not all of them have been successful. Kanata (Lou Nistico) did this a few years ago with a player from South Boston by the name of Corey Dizoglio. They signed him just prior to training camp with a flourish that would have made Bobby Orr blush. He started on their second line and by November was back in Boston. Local boys just have to persevere and their chance will hopefully come.
Similar situation happened in Nepean a few times.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:44 PM
BackBringCam

Mollino was the best player at the pre draft camp in May. Most of the teams were courting him, not sure how Brockville sweetened it.

Old
08-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Sherwood T90
Rookie User

locals overlooked

Quote:
Look at Kemptville snubbing the Guy kid(95) and he ripped up Jr B and was drafted 4th round by 67s and has now signed, Do you not think he would have helped the 73s?
Though I think the jrB coaching staff developed the kid !

Old
08-04-2012, 12:24 AM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwood T90 View Post
Look at Kemptville snubbing the Guy kid(95) and he ripped up Jr B and was drafted 4th round by 67s and has now signed, Do you not think he would have helped the 73s?
Though I think the Jr. B coaching staff developed the kid !
What an excellent post from a number of perspectives.

Clearly, many are wondering why
Nevan Guy did not play for the 73's last year. Paired with Hutton, it would have been very interesting.

Coach Kirkwood has to be given a lot of credit for developing Nevan and giving him the opportunity and ice time to play. To prove himself.

What I do not understand is why this Jr. B coach does not step up and take on a real challenge. It would be great to see him and Lenard on a Jr. A bench. Maybe he knows better.

Last edited by eddyshack: 08-04-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old
08-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
What I do not understand is why this Jr. B coach does not step up and take on a real challenge. It would be great to see him and Lenard on a Jr. A bench. Maybe he knows better.
Coaching Jr A does not usually pay enough to make it a full-time job but it takes up a lot of time. You need a flexible employer (practices normally 4 days a week at 4pm or so) and an even more flexible spouse. Some people just can not logistically do it, some just enjoy the level they are at, coaching Jr A is not for everyone.

Old
08-04-2012, 09:40 AM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Coaching Jr A does not usually pay enough to make it a full-time job but it takes up a lot of time. You need a flexible employer (practices normally 4 days a week at 4pm or so) and an even more flexible spouse. Some people just can not logistically do it, some just enjoy the level they are at, coaching Jr A is not for everyone.
That makes sense.

However, like players should coaches not be encouraged to coach at the highest possible level.

You can always get another job and a more understanding spouse.

Last edited by eddyshack: 08-04-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old
08-04-2012, 10:40 AM
MacM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
That makes sense.

You can always get another job and a more understanding spouse.
I thought you were serious at first. Jobs are hard to find.

There are a number of very good coaches in Jr. B. that would have no problem stepping into Jr A. In addition to those mentioned, Clarence Beavers Seb Laplante comes to mind. However the time commitment is about 3x. Jr B only has 1 practice & about 2 games per week.

Old
08-04-2012, 10:45 AM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacM View Post
I thought you were serious at first. Jobs are hard to find.

There are a number of very good coaches in Jr. B. that would have no problem stepping into Jr A. In addition to those mentioned, Clarence Beavers Seb Laplante comes to mind. However the time commitment is about 3x. Jr B only has 1 practice & about 2 games per week.
Of course I was kidding. And you are right jobs are hard to find.

I keep looking and hoping one day someone will hire me.

Coaching at any level is admirable and it sure is a committment for Jr. A and not always rewarded or appreciated. Just ask the number of Stallion coaches over the years. The coach of the year gets abused and the punt ? Totally unfair and unjust.

Last edited by eddyshack: 08-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old
08-04-2012, 03:26 PM
upinarms

Here is a quote from "Around the Rink"

If you want a formula for national success, in my opinion, it is simple;

A strong nucleus of 20 year olds

A good crop of imports

A few key signings at the trade deadline

In my opinion you should add two other ingredients:

a few young local kids to develop and a good coach

Old
08-04-2012, 03:39 PM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinarms View Post
Here is a quote from "Around the Rink"

If you want a formula for national success, in my opinion, it is simple;

A strong nucleus of 20 year olds

A good crop of imports

A few key signings at the trade deadline

In my opinion you should add two other ingredients:

a few young local kids to develop and a good coach
That works !

It is so simple but so difficult to execute.

Old
08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
valleydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickhandle View Post
teams just take who they think are the best players, to think that they would take an import player over a local player ( that is just as good)that would cost them nothing is ridiculous

I do wish that was true, but sadly it is not. I have spoken with an owner and can absolutely state, they bring in imports for the money. That is not to say they will take or play some kid who is a plug, but it is definitely not a level playing field for the locals unless their parents want to cough up the $10K.

And I do know a local family who's kid was a 90 or 91 and they swear he was offered a spot for a $20K PDF. Clearly he was not good enough to be there on his own merit.

Old
08-05-2012, 12:01 PM
KL14

Now it is starting to make sense

I had heard rumours that the process was...charge the American kid a fee...say $5K up to $10K to play ...use a portion of the funds for the billet @ $ 300 per month and the rest is kept by the teams. I do know that American kids often pay in excess of $ 5K to play for their local USA AAA midget teams prior to heading north, so the fee being asked by some CCHL teams is not, in their view, out of line when their kids can continue to play hockey at a high level. I am not sure how many teams do this, but it could be lucrative....you just have to be able to find host families.....and yes, it does suck for local kids who are overlooked because of this.

Old
08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
stickhandle

he said she said. Been involved 10 years and have never heard of this happening

Last edited by stickhandle: 08-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old
08-05-2012, 12:42 PM
BackBringCam

News to me

Old
08-05-2012, 12:52 PM
eddyshack

Quote:
I had heard rumours that the process was...charge the American kid a fee...say $5K up to $10K to play ...use a portion of the funds for the billet @ $ 300 per month and the rest is kept by the teams. I do know that American kids often pay in excess of $ 5K to play for their local USA AAA midget teams prior to heading north, so the fee being asked by some CCHL teams is not, in their view, out of line when their kids can continue to play hockey at a high level. I am not sure how many teams do this, but it could be lucrative....you just have to be able to find host families.....and yes, it does suck for local kids who are overlooked because of this.
I have not heard of this either. It could happen, anything is possible.

If the Colts chose to import a player from the USA it is because they can play and they will make a difference. In fact, I understand to get top talent PDF fees are payable.

That being said, many teams need revenue to be viable and it is possible to see every player charged $4K to $5K to play. That is the new reality. It won't work unless every team participates. How can a small market team like the Wellington Dukes survive without sources of "other" revenue.

Perhaps exceptional players or those in need can be sponsored by a team's foundation or local sponsors.

This could level the playing field for local players.

It is the reality otherwise teams will fold and the League will exist with fewer teams.

Last edited by eddyshack: 08-05-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Closed Thread