HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), BCHL, CJAHL, and its leagues.

cchl 2012-2013 season

Closed Thread

Old
08-08-2012, 04:57 AM
ottawafan66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by everett331 View Post
Pembroke LumberKings‏@PLKingsCCHL

Pembroke trades Steve Cooney to Kemptville for 1st and 2nd round picks in 2013, the playing rights to Kurt Gowdy and a PDF.
Wow. That's a lot to give up for an unproven 17 year old. Great move by PLK for a player that was never going to play in Pembroke. Good on kemptville for trying to improve their team but they got taken to the cleaners on this trade.

Last edited by ottawafan66: 08-08-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 06:55 AM
KL14

Real Deal

With all trades, time will tell as to which team won and lost, but in this case Cooney is the biggest winner. He will play in the league right away and he will be effective.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:18 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
With all trades, time will tell as to which team won and lost, but in this case Cooney is the biggest winner. He will play in the league right away and he will be effective.
I agree that Cooney is lucky to be getting another chance. Not sure how effective he'll be though. He definitely has the tools if we wants to use them properly.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreaseCrawler View Post
No kidding. Although, from what I can gather by my limited exposure, the consensus is that GTHL Midget AAA is viewed to be an excellent option no matter what team you're on and is "equally" good as many Jr B teams.

Otherwise, it comes down to a case by case basis. Jr B usually means moving from home and less practice time for a kid who is either 16 (rare) or 17 (more common).

The other issue that needs to be considered is the kid himself - specifically where he is physically and mentally. Is he big enough to handle bigger boys in Jr B? Is he prepared to handle/resist the tobacco chewing, the drinking, the pot and all the darker stuff that goes on off the ice. (Yeah, I said it....)
The Jr.B - Major Midget debate will rage on. The AAA model for Major Midget and trying to force kids to play Major Midget AAA is something I do not agree with.
To me the model is centered around the urban ( Large Cities ) and not the rural ( Valley ) etc. There are alot of kids who at 16 have the ability to play at the Jr. level whether it be in the EOJHL or CCHL.

For many of these kids it is very cost effective to play Jr rather than Midget. The cost to play AAA Major Midget with the registration fees, travel, tournaments, etc can be too much for alot of people. The travel aspect for kids in the Valley or on the Upper Canada side can be too much for some families.
It is much more cost effective for many people.

I will agree that not all 16 year olds are physically or mentally strong enough to play at the Jr. level but the kids should be able to make that choice on their own.

Not sure where you get your information but to say "playing Jr.B usually means moving away from home is totally incorrect at least in this region.
Unless you have come from out of the area to play Jr.A and did not make it and want to stick around to give yourself a chance with that team later or you have moved to the area to go to school, pretty much all players would be living at home. You would either be playing in the community you grew up in or close to it or driving a fairly short distance to and from games.

You make it sound like only Jr.B players are involved with the "darker stuff off the ice". This type of stuff happens in all areas of life as well as every level of hockey, don't try and pin this on the Jr.B league. Kids have to choose whether they want to chew tobacco, drink or smoke pot, in everyday life not just in hockey circles.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:02 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
You make it sound like only Jr.B players are involved with the "darker stuff off the ice". This type of stuff happens in all areas of life as well as every level of hockey, don't try and pin this on the Jr.B league. Kids have to choose whether they want to chew tobacco, drink or smoke pot, in everyday life not just in hockey circles.
For the most part, Jr. B players are not as serious about hockey as Jr. A. The Junior A players are still hoping to advance in hockey, whether it's OHL are NCAA. Jr B, not so much. They practice only once per week, show up late for games/practices and are often hungover. There is definitely more of a party atmosphere. Some coaches also don't hold their players accountable. I'm not saying this is the norm but it's not uncommon.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
For the most part, Jr. B players are not as serious about hockey as Jr. A. The Junior A players are still hoping to advance in hockey, whether it's OHL are NCAA. Jr B, not so much. They practice only once per week, show up late for games/practices and are often hungover. There is definitely more of a party atmosphere. Some coaches also don't hold their players accountable. I'm not saying this is the norm but it's not uncommon.
I am not sure you can say they are not as serious but alot of them cannot put the time committment in you need to play at the CCHL level due to University, work etc.
and yes the majority are not striving for scholarships or playing in CCHL but they also play and parctice hard for the most part.

Yes they only practice once a week.

I am not sure what Jr.B teams you have been a part of but teams I have been associated with would not accept players being late for practices or games without a valid reason, often hungover?? You make it sound like all they do is drink and party and show up when they feel like it and that is not the case in the majority of teams.

Just look at the Gloucester example that hit the papers this past year if you think the CCHL players do not take part in these activities. Happens on every team and at every level.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:11 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff077 View Post
I am not sure you can say they are not as serious but alot of them cannot put the time committment in you need to play at the CCHL level due to University, work etc.
and yes the majority are not striving for scholarships or playing in CCHL but they also play and parctice hard for the most part.

Yes they only practice once a week.

I am not sure what Jr.B teams you have been a part of but teams I have been associated with would not accept players being late for practices or games without a valid reason, often hungover?? You make it sound like all they do is drink and party and show up when they feel like it and that is not the case in the majority of teams.

Just look at the Gloucester example that hit the papers this past year if you think the CCHL players do not take part in these activities. Happens on every team and at every level.
That's why I said "some" coaches. And all I'm saying is that it's more of a party atmosphere "compared" to Jr. A. The only team I've been associated with often would have half the team show up barely in time or even late for the pre-game skates. And yes, many were hungover (especially for Saturday or Sunday games).

Old
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
eddyshack

I give "some" coaches a lot of credit. Jr. B is a wonderful experience for most players. The coaches have to deal with a number of unique challenges.

They have to deal with promising and talented 16 year olds that want to move on to Jr. A and beyond and 20 year olds that know that their next hockey will be in the men's beer league.

It is not easy getting these 2 groups working and playing together. There are instances where the older guys mentor and protect the younger players, that is amazing and the coaches deserve the credit.

Last edited by eddyshack: 08-08-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old
08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Jeff077

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
I give "some" coaches a lot of credit. Jr. B is a wonderful experience for most players. The coaches have to deal with a number of unique challenges.

They have to deal with promising and talented 16 year olds that want to move on to Jr. A and beyond and 20 year olds that know that their next hockey will be in the men's beer league.

It is not easy getting these 2 groups working and playing together. There are instances where the older guys mentor and protect the younger players, that is amazing and the coaches deserve the credit.
Great Post.

Old
08-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Vaughn

Brockville trades goalie Andrew Pikul to Odessa Jackalopes (NAHL) for PDF.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Roofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreaseCrawler View Post
No kidding. Although, from what I can gather by my limited exposure, the consensus is that GTHL Midget AAA is viewed to be an excellent option no matter what team you're on and is "equally" good as many Jr B teams.

Otherwise, it comes down to a case by case basis. Jr B usually means moving from home and less practice time for a kid who is either 16 (rare) or 17 (more common).

The other issue that needs to be considered is the kid himself - specifically where he is physically and mentally. Is he big enough to handle bigger boys in Jr B? Is he prepared to handle/resist the tobacco chewing, the drinking, the pot and all the darker stuff that goes on off the ice. (Yeah, I said it....)
Wait this stuff only goes on in Jr B .... Not !!!!
Same off ice distractions occur in Midget AAA and in Jr A
Nonsense comment!!

Old
08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
ottawafan66

Trade

@GradsNation: The Cumberland Grads have traded Patrick Martin to the Smiths Falls Bears for Nicolas Brazeau, a 2nd round pick in 2013 and a PDF.

On a related note, I heard that Mackenzie Sawyer signed with Topeka of the NAHL.

Old
08-08-2012, 07:55 PM
SimplyaFan

@GradsNation: The Cumberland Grads have traded Patrick Martin to the Smiths Falls Bears for Nicolas Brazeau, a 2nd round pick in 2013 and a PDF.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:24 PM
everett331

Quote:
Ian Henderson‏@Hawks_JrA_GM

@hawkesburyhawks trade to be announced shortly
Ian Henderson‏@Hawks_JrA_GM

@hawkesburyhawks have traded 95 F Max Veronneau to the @Kemptville73s for a PDF and conditional draft pick.

Old
08-08-2012, 08:49 PM
eddyshack

recent trades

Not sure why Cumberland would trade Patrick Martin. IMO he was their best asset. Who will fill the net ? Lots of pucks !

With respect to M Veronneau from the Hawks to the 73's, it is not really newsworthy. Vernonneau does NOT fit the Hawks mold. He is more skilled and plays with finesse and should do well with the 73's. However, I hope Kemptville did not make their decision based on the stats the father kept over the years. They were a little "exagerated" according to his own teammates. He is talented on his own merits without the embelishment.

Last edited by eddyshack: 08-08-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old
08-08-2012, 08:52 PM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Not sure why Cumberland would trade Patrick Martin. IMO he was their best asset.

With respect to M Veronneau from the Hawks to the 73's, it is not really newsworthy. Vernonneau does fit the Hawks mold. He is more skill and finesse and should do well with the 73's.
Who does Cumberland have for a goalie now?

Old
08-08-2012, 09:04 PM
everett331

Lets see what happens this week-end could SK pick up any player from the Markham Waxers who has been suspended by the league due to financial and operational non-compliance. The coach of the the the Waxers Jason Nobili is an assitant with SK this weekend at the Canada east summer camp. There are three player from that team at the the camp Byrson Morrisson, Alex Leader and Adam DiBrina. The Kings currently only have one returning player Swan Boisvert if he returns as a 20 yrs. on the active roster which leads me to believe that SK will make some announcement prior to camp starting next weekend.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:22 PM
WhadaIknow

I heard that Boisvert will be playing D3 this fall, instead of returning to Pembroke.

Old
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Lets see what happens this week-end could SK pick up any player from the Markham Waxers who has been suspended by the league due to financial and operational non-compliance. The coach of the the the Waxers Jason Nobili is an assitant with SK this weekend at the Canada east summer camp. There are three player from that team at the the camp Byrson Morrisson, Alex Leader and Adam DiBrina. The Kings currently only have one returning player Swan Boisvert if he returns as a 20 yrs. on the active roster which leads me to believe that SK will make some announcement prior to camp starting next weekend.
Supposedly all the top players on Markham were traded for cash prior to the team being folded plus you have to think any other decent players would be offered cards by other OJ teams quickly.

Old
08-08-2012, 10:01 PM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafan66 View Post
Who does Cumberland have for a goalie now?
They drafted Kumar (95) and he played AA last year. Who knows ?

Old
08-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
With respect to M Veronneau from the Hawks to the 73's, it is not really newsworthy. Vernonneau does NOT fit the Hawks mold. He is more skill and finesse and should do well with the 73's. I hope Kemptville did not make their decision based on stats the father kept over the years. They were a little "exagerated" according to his team mates. He is talented on his own merits without the embelishment.
Considering all the discussion on this forum over thepast week about local Major Midget players not getting an opportunity then this should interest quite a few of the readers. Verroneau was one of the top offensive players in OEMHL Mj Midgt AAA last season and I think that he will get a good look at the 73's training camp.

Old
08-08-2012, 11:26 PM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Considering all the discussion on this forum over thepast week about local Major Midget players not getting an opportunity then this should interest quite a few of the readers. Verroneau was one of the top offensive players in OEMHL Mj Midgt AAA last season and I think that he will get a good look at the 73's training camp.
Tell us wise one, why would the Hawks draft Veronneau and not give him a chance. They drafted him just to trade him ?

Old
08-09-2012, 06:29 AM
KL14

I think Veronneau played for the 67s' last year and I don't think it is a situation of the Hawkes not giving the kid a chance but more of the kid probably wanting to stay/play closer to home. Prior to the draft there is little or no discussions with the kids as to which team may draft them (which is not a bad thing). Maybe they did draft him just to trade him but I doubt it but as pointed out earlier, yes it is great to see the OEMHL Major Midget players getting a chance.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:20 AM
MacM

Quote:
Not sure why Cumberland would trade Patrick Martin. IMO he was their best asset. Who will fill the net ? Lots of pucks !
I think SFalls did a good job of plugging a pretty big hole just before training camp.

I am not so surprised the Grads would trade him - they need experienced bodies. I am surprised at what the accepted for him. They need D and did not get any. I don't see how the Grads get stronger from this - unless the PDF was a whopper.

It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers he puts up playing for a stronger club.

Old
08-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacM View Post
I think SFalls did a good job of plugging a pretty big hole just before training camp.

I am not so surprised the Grads would trade him - they need experienced bodies. I am surprised at what the accepted for him. They need D and did not get any. I don't see how the Grads get stronger from this - unless the PDF was a whopper.

It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers he puts up playing for a stronger club.
I had the same reaction as well. I am amazed by what teams are giving up for young relatively unproven fowards this season, only time will tell if they fulfill the potential teams are seeing in them. My only concern about Martin would be that he was injured quite a bit last season (concussion?) but he was one of the top goalies in the league.

Cumberland has now traded 3 of their top players (2 defense and a goalie) and only got forwards, draft picks and cash back. Hopefully they have signed some pretty good free agent defense since it looks like they only have 2 returnees from last year. They have some 17 year olds that played Jr B and a few others they drafted this spring however I do not see any of them ready for top 4 minutes this season. They have not announced any free agent signings yet so we will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Ottawa Guy: 08-09-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Closed Thread