HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

cchl 2012-2013 season

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2012, 11:23 AM
BackBringCam

vCash: 500
Are their any actual games going on in the league yet?

Oh yeah, there is... I forgot with all the Keefe worshipping going on

Old
09-20-2012, 11:39 AM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post

So then I guess you are off the PLK Christmas card list then Cam?!?!

Old
09-20-2012, 11:54 AM
HockeyTalkey

Quote:

In other news, CP only took 7 minor penalties last night.......hahahaha.

In all seriousness, through all this talk, CP has had some dominant efforts and over time should prove to be 1-2 with the Raiders as many expected. Too big, strong, and good on special teams for most teams to contend with.

Old
09-20-2012, 12:30 PM
BackBringCam

Could care less. I get it, very good coach, very good hockey guy, sucessful, all good stuff, nothing personal at all against him or the PLK, but yeesh enough with the slobbering about the guy, it's endless.

Old
09-20-2012, 01:26 PM
CoasttoCoast

Nep. Kempt. last night- Llorica 4 pts. Norris 4 pts. Every line scored. Zawadaski let in a rare weak one in the first but Kemptville could'nt take advantage of it. Kemptville beat Nep. in exh. 5-0 the night before Nepean went to North Bay, then twitted about taking 2 points yesterday before the game. Bam!! 9-3 Spanking. Kemptville looks a little bigger and a little more physical but not much improved, at least not last night.
I'm a big fan of Byron but he did not seem to have anyone to play with last night, no chemistry with a linemate. Maybe they should take him off the pt. on the PP and let him play down low with his linemeates, get some chemistry going. My observations.

Old
09-21-2012, 12:29 AM
eddyshack

Cornwall Colts

I have been out of the country for some time. Working. Anyone paying attention to the Cornwall Colts ?

The pre-season predictions had them to miss the playoffs. It is very early and it is early for every team. How are the Colts looking now ?

Last edited by eddyshack: 09-21-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old
09-21-2012, 01:08 AM
eddyshack

Quote:

Lots of games Firiday night.

Old
09-21-2012, 11:57 AM
MacM

Has anyone used the live streaming service for CCHL games this year? There was a big splash about it a month or so back, but curious if anyone has actually used it.

I found the old service was just Ok, with lots of buffering and network issues. I think it is tough to provide a really watchable game with single camera - but hope the other problems are gone.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Lakers21

Fast Hockey Production Quality

I'm new to watching the CCHL and I was very pleased to find out I could watch games on-line. Unfortunately the first broadcast I watched (Kanata - Kings) was very poorly produced. At one end of the camera travel, a lap top was in the way and screening a large area of ice. The camera guy was also not very good at following the play... several times the play by play guy was excitedly describing goal mouth scrambles and scoring opportunities - while the camera was focused on open ice. But, the broadcasts are way cheaper than a trip from Toronto so this is a mild complaint - but if the Fast Hockey guys are reading this... get stuff out of the way of the camera and keep up with the play.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:36 PM
ZebraCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers21 View Post
I'm new to watching the CCHL and I was very pleased to find out I could watch games on-line. Unfortunately the first broadcast I watched (Kanata - Kings) was very poorly produced. At one end of the camera travel, a lap top was in the way and screening a large area of ice. The camera guy was also not very good at following the play... several times the play by play guy was excitedly describing goal mouth scrambles and scoring opportunities - while the camera was focused on open ice. But, the broadcasts are way cheaper than a trip from Toronto so this is a mild complaint - but if the Fast Hockey guys are reading this... get stuff out of the way of the camera and keep up with the play.
The quality of the broadcast will vary from team to team....It is the Home team that is responsible for the broadcast. SOme teams have dedicated cameramen others have healthy scratches do it....some are quite good, while others are poor....FastHockey's feed is a far superior one to last years Nuelion and that is a big bonus. All who do the broadcasts are volunteers that have varying levels of commitment and skill.....Keep watching and I'm sure you will find a few that you will appreciate....Cheers!

Old
09-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Unfortunately the camera work is done by each individual team. As a result certain teams have much better camera work and play by play then others. For example, I believe Brockville has two cameras.

Old
09-21-2012, 01:44 PM
MacM

Quote:
...The camera guy was also not very good at following the play... several times the play by play guy was excitedly describing goal mouth scrambles and scoring opportunities - while the camera was focused on open ice.
Too funny. It is the same camera man as last year then. I had the same observation during Kanata games: He gets caught up in the play and forgets the camera. Good to hear from another poster that the feed itself is better.

Old
09-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Jrfever

[QUOTE=MacM;54492613]Has anyone used the live streaming service for CCHL games this year? There was a big splash about it a month or so back, but curious if anyone has actually used it.

The buffering is still an issue: 2-3 times per game. Also, last year when you purchased a game you had access to the archived game. Now you have to purchase the archived game even if you purchased it live. I am disappointed with the change. The play-by-play experience hasn't changed.

Old
09-21-2012, 09:51 PM
BackBringCam

Been out of the house all night, how'd Cornwall do?

Old
09-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Off the Boards

Mark Hough (D) has left the Colts after returning for a short stint with the team. Cornwall has picked up Jake Bannister (C ) from the Surrey Eagles (BCJHL) originaly from Ajax,ON. A skilled forward who did not feel like he was getting fair icetime in Surrey.

Old
09-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacM View Post
Too funny. It is the same camera man as last year then. I had the same observation during Kanata games: He gets caught up in the play and forgets the camera. Good to hear from another poster that the feed itself is better.
I believe the healthy scratches do the camera in Kanata.

On another note Mark Hough could be a decent pick up for a team struggling on defense.

Old
09-22-2012, 11:02 AM
KL14

Kemptville and Pembroke

I read Kemptville won the game in a shoot out, but was anyone there to see how Kemptville managed to come away with the win or is it just that Kemptville is much better than last year ?

Old
09-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Ottawa Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL14 View Post
I read Kemptville won the game in a shoot out, but was anyone there to see how Kemptville managed to come away with the win or is it just that Kemptville is much better than last year ?
Kemptville is just better than last year plus Cooper is a good goalie. The showcase game between these two teams was also very close, in fact the 73s probably deserved to win. They have a lot of new players who are in their first season of junior hockey so you can expect some inconsistency for a while, they should challenge for a playoff spot

Old
09-22-2012, 12:20 PM
eddyshack

What is going on with Nepean ?

Old
09-22-2012, 12:24 PM
oldnucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangersfan21 View Post
I believe the healthy scratches do the camera in Kanata.

On another note Mark Hough could be a decent pick up for a team struggling on defense.
Cumberland perhaps or maybe they prefer having all 17 yo rookie defense. They are struggling...could be a long year

Old
09-22-2012, 12:28 PM
BadgerKnight

Raiders-early season

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
Intriguing. All over the 73s earlier this week and then the Braves shut down the Raiders offence on Friday. In last night's game, three of the Raiders' defencemen racked up quite a few penalty minutes.

Brockville's Recorder & Times have a report on the game.
http://www.recorder.ca/2012/09/22/br...hut-out-nepean

The return match on Sunday afternoon could be a good one.

Old
09-22-2012, 12:30 PM
BadgerKnight

73s/Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Guy View Post
Kemptville is just better than last year plus Cooper is a good goalie. The showcase game between these two teams was also very close, in fact the 73s probably deserved to win. They have a lot of new players who are in their first season of junior hockey so you can expect some inconsistency for a while, they should challenge for a playoff spot
When the Kings scored their 2nd goal with so little time at the end of the 1rst period. I had a sinking feeling. This new 73s team though battled back.

The game's style turned early in the first period when a head shot was not called and the involved player did not return to the game. As the player's father is the league's communication consultant, perhaps the Dad can encourage the league to follow up with the refereeing crew to ensure head shots are called. Last season, the NHL was issuing many disciplinary suspensions for head shots. I would have thought that junior hockey leagues would be attempting to eliminate those dangerous plays. The 73s for the remainder of the first period were catching many Kings' players with hard body shots. The nastiness accelerated on the Kings 2nd goal with the goal scorer being speared.

Hennessey's goal was a shot to the left of goalkeeper. Larson scored on a neat flick up over the glove of the 73s goalie after the Kings had been applying sustained pressure. The 73s got one goal back when the teams were each playing one man short when Martin found Byron behind the defence. From my angle, I thought that there was a slight deflection of Rosebrook's shot that tied the game.

IMO, K. Harper is a very good defenceman. Steady, plays well under pressure. The pickup of Connell gives the Kings a top four ( Drouin, Harper, Connell & Hart). Hrehoriak is quite the pest, very fast skater though he does not like being body checked. Jaws with his opponent who hits him and last evening his complaining to the referee must have been too vocal. Their 16 year old player, McDade shows intriguing promise - good hustle & in one play he was holding off a bigger defence opponent as he rushed the net. Surprised when Trowell was sent out for the shootout as I considered Hennessey or Audi would be next out. Rang it off the post. Very close.

The 73s had three 16 year old players dressed last evening. The forwards ( Row & Tugnutt) were getting very regular shifts while the defenceman Legault got 1/2 shifts in the first period. With the 73s missing 2 defence at the start of the 2nd period, Legault was playing regularly and a few Kings learned that he can body check-hard. Rosebrook was a force on the ice, moving up to replace House when he was injured.

Key is that the 73s showed good competitive spirit.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Grabbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTalkey View Post
In other news, CP only took 7 minor penalties last night.......hahahaha.

In all seriousness, through all this talk, CP has had some dominant efforts and over time should prove to be 1-2 with the Raiders as many expected. Too big, strong, and good on special teams for most teams to contend with.

Really?

They are much smaller this year and not physical in the games I have seen (with the exception of maybe two players). They are 3-for-27 on the PP and 1-for-13 in their last three games with the man advantage.

They look soft to me - but that might have something to do with the fact they have had 40 penalites in their last four games and only 18 PP chances in that same period. Seems they can't touch anyone without it being performed illegally.

Must be frustrating for their best players to not get off the bench as they spend one period of every game on the PK.

Unsure what the deal is with their PP which in past years has been pretty good. Likely player selection as the two games I saw after the Showcase (saw them twice on opening weekend as well) they had all newcomers on the first PP Unit?!?

Final point - "dominant efforts"??? over who? They have played none of the top teams (Cumberland & Gloucester at the showcase) and needed overtime to beat Kanata! They have lost twice to the Bears whom barely made the post-season last year and needed a late EN goal to ice it against the the Rangers (yes the Rangers!)last night.

Yikes!

The 10pts and early division lead is precarious at best and IMO very deceiving. They get another non-playoff team tomorrow (Kemptville). I can't wait for the first meetings with Pemby, Cornwall, and my Raiders.

BTW - don't worry about "whats wrong with the Raiders" as someone posted today.
The Raiders just had one uncharacteristic game (i.e. penalty issues of our own). PG will fix this by tomorrow.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Grabbers

Nothing going on in Nepean....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyshack View Post
Eddy....don't worry as my Raiders caught the CP flu last night and provided the Braves with 14 PP chances (they converted only two). We went 0-for-8 ourselves.

Half the game was special teams and our strength is depth - and the fact we have the best pure scorer in the loop.

Not to worry we have beaten Pembroke and Hawksbury already this year.

We are 8 for 16 on the PP the three games prior to this. No concerns my friend.

My predictions - we will finish first and Norris will be the leading scorer in the league. Even after an off night I can champion my club.

Old
09-22-2012, 02:34 PM
eddyshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabbers View Post
Eddy....don't worry as my Raiders caught the CP flu last night and provided the Braves with 14 PP chances (they converted only two). We went 0-for-8 ourselves.

Half the game was special teams and our strength is depth - and the fact we have the best pure scorer in the loop.

Not to worry we have beaten Pembroke and Hawksbury already this year.

We are 8 for 16 on the PP the three games prior to this. No concerns my friend.

My predictions - we will finish first and Norris will be the leading scorer in the league. Even after an off night I can champion my club.
I like Nepean and I think they will be top 4. To finish # 1 ? Not the way Brockville shut them down last night - 18 shots.

Closed Thread