HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

who is the isles number one dman?

Old
07-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Tavares2TheRescue
We Want The de

vCash: 500
Hamonic is the best defenseman on this team, but I'm sure Capuano and the Islanders will make Streit out to be the #1.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

I'd say close between Hamonic and Streit... Definitely Hamonic in a couple years though.

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Islander102

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
I'd say close between Hamonic and Streit... Definitely Hamonic in a couple years though.
I'd say not so close. Hamonic wins it going away, and will only get better.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Franz for life

Lol this isn't even close. It's Streit by a mile. Funny how a rough couple of months after serious shoulder surgery eliminates years of superiority.

On most nights Mark Streit is the best defenceman on the ice on both sides. Most tournaments as well if any of you have seen him play for Swiss.

Franz for life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:19 PM
VAIsles
Mickey Mouse FO Yay!

we don't have a #1... Hamonic is pretty good though. Streit has lost a step in the Isles zone. Vis is old and injury prone. So basically the D is going to get torched again this year like a bonfire!

VAIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Brunomics

Streit right now but 10-15 games in I see Hamonic clearly running away with that title.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Jaymz

I like Hamonic's all around game the best. So I'd say he's top on my depth chart now. Would be great if Rienhart develops into a more true #1 in time.

Last edited by Jaymz: 07-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander102 View Post
I'd say not so close. Hamonic wins it going away, and will only get better.
Might be getting a little ahead of yourself with Hamonic. Even if Hamonic is better than Streit now, and better in the future I don't think Hamonic makes Streit look like a 5-6th d-man yet which is how you make it sound

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:48 AM
steveat

Streit missed the entire season the year before. See if you can get back to form quicker.

It's Streit. Talent doesn't mean the best..it's talent + experience.

Streit and Vis won't play on the same line, but will do so on PP.

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:24 AM
mitchy22

#1 versus #2 has always been an odd distinction for me (since there's a top pairing on teams it tends to be special team play that helps define the term.)

Mark Streit has been in the top-10 for Norris trophy voting in two seasons with the Isles. I've yet to find this past season's full voting to see if either player (Streit or Hamonic) got any votes. I doubt they'll have garnered much, but that doesn't mean they didn't get a 5th place vote here or there.

Hamonic is already more physical and has better size than Streit at any early age. Hamonic has a good point shot, but will probably need to increase the number he gets to the net as more teams figure that out. Hamonic can skate very, very well and we've only managed to see him rush the puck up the ice a few times so far. Hamonic has all of the potential to be a top pairing all-around defender who can put up 30-40 points. He's yet to do that, but it seems like it's simply a matter of time.

Picking between the two to me seems like an exercise in futility. We also don't know whether the Norris trophy vote getting Visnovsky returns to full form for a whole season.

The only thing I can say that will separate Hamonic for the Isles is that he has shown to be more capable of competing with bigger forwards at such a young age. That makes him more valuable (to me/us if you agree) at this very moment because of how small and unphysical our top-4 is. So if we're going by who we can least afford to lose? It's Hamonic. If we had another all-around defender in our top-4 with some size, our top d-man should be Streit until fully proven otherwise - and it may be proven this coming season depending on how the players progress or regress.

On top of the above, these guys are all similar in function (but not necessarily current form) as far as I'm concerned: Streit, Visnovsky, De Haan (and to a lesser extent a couple other prospects that are PMDs who aren't big that can skate and do work on the PP potentially such as Kichton, Ness and Katic to varying degrees. I probably missed someone I'm sure, but I excluded the 2012 draft here.)

We only have distant hopes that guys can be similar to Hamonic. Those guys are all a year or more out before we can reasonably compare them. I think that also expands Hamonic's value to our club. Not saying we don't have some bigger kids with all-around skills with potential to move up in the organization. I wish Donovan was 2" taller. I wish Mayfield and Pedan were 2 years older (along with the whole 2012 draft while I'm adding years to our players.)

I'd love it for us to be able to add someone who is better than both of them, but let's not kid ourselves until it shocks us and actually happens. We're not in good shape if we lose either player in this discussion, but we're back to being the almost-all-shrimp squad (even with Carkner) if we lose Hamonic. (A reason why I hoped we'd also add Allen or some other significantly sized body. Even if we didn't bring top-4 offense with the size, we still have offensive types we can bring in to complement it. What we don't have is size at the ready.)

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Hipster Doofus

Viz finished top 3 in votes IIRC 2 years ago when he led all d-men in scoring.

Hamonic has a well rounded game suited for playing top minutes.

Streit can play on most teams top pairings.

Isles defense ain't great, but the top four is respectable.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:48 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Viz finished top 3 in votes IIRC 2 years ago when he led all d-men in scoring.

Hamonic has a well rounded game suited for playing top minutes.

Streit can play on most teams top pairings.

Isles defense ain't great, but the top four is respectable.
Problem is the overall size of the top-4. We really could use one more bigger body to fit next to Visnovsky (or Streit with Hamonic dropping down.)

Streit-Hamonic
Visnovsky-BIGDUDE
AMac-Carkner
Extra

None of our much bigger defense prospects are near ready. Donovan is probably the biggest that is close, but he's about 2 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than what I'd like to see in the #4 slot above. The bigger kids (Mayfield, Pedan, Reinhart) should be allowed at least 2 years (and I won't even discuss the rest of the 2012 draft.)

Maybe Wishart took steroids, got angry, and refined his game over the summer...ummm...and will be retained for the #7 spot...or not.

Mitch

Old
07-03-2012, 10:57 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Problem is the overall size of the top-4. We really could use one more bigger body to fit next to Visnovsky (or Streit with Hamonic dropping down.)

Streit-Hamonic
Visnovsky-BIGDUDE
AMac-Carkner
Extra

None of our much bigger defense prospects are near ready. Donovan is probably the biggest that is close, but he's about 2 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than what I'd like to see in the #4 slot above. The bigger kids (Mayfield, Pedan, Reinhart) should be allowed at least 2 years (and I won't even discuss the rest of the 2012 draft.)

Maybe Wishart took steroids, got angry, and refined his game over the summer...ummm...and will be retained for the #7 spot...or not.

Mitch
I agree, I think Rozsival could fit especially since he's a right hand shot. I think Ness will be the 7th defenseman this year.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:12 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I agree, I think Rozsival could fit especially since he's a right hand shot. I think Ness will be the 7th defenseman this year.
Wonder what he's going to command. Doubt we'd retain him at his previously inflated salary. I wish he was a little bit bigger and meaner, but he's sizable enough and is a right-handed shot.

Out of position a bit, but Tallinder might be available now if nothing else materializes.

Mitch

Old
07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
ScaredStreit

It's still streit right now but realistically I think it will deped on the night as to who is better between him and hamonic

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:04 AM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post

Streit-Hamonic
Visnovsky-BIGDUDE
AMac-Carkner
Extra

Mitch

As for BIGDUDE..I really wanted Aucoin..bah..he signed already 1 year 2 mill..totally respectable if you ask me and would have made a great pairing with Vis.

As for who's left..I think we should stop checking out the UFA's for blueliners and look for making a trade for what we need. I would try to make some sort of blockbuster trade to bring BufWTF (Byfuglien) to us and send I dono to the Jets... Keep in mind Byfuglien is also a right hander as well. 4.2 mill cap.

Hell...I haven't heard anything from the Kane side as well..so maybe make a real big big blockbuster. 2 x 1st rounders + Okposo + Grabner + Donovan (must send at least 1 Dman the other way) for Byfuglien and Kane. It might be a lot, but we are getting SOLID talent back.

If we get Byfuglien..we are seriously set on defence. We have so many rookies fighting for the last spot and they aren't bad rookies.our dcore would probably be the deepest in the league.

steveat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:06 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
As for BIGDUDE..I really wanted Aucoin..bah..he signed already 1 year 2 mill..totally respectable if you ask me and would have made a great pairing with Vis.

As for who's left..I think we should stop checking out the UFA's for blueliners and look for making a trade for what we need. I would try to make some sort of blockbuster trade to bring BufWTF (Byfuglien) to us and send I dono to the Jets... Keep in mind Byfuglien is also a right hander as well. 4.2 mill cap.

Hell...I haven't heard anything from the Kane side as well..so maybe make a real big big blockbuster. 2 x 1st rounders + Okposo + Grabner + Donovan (must send at least 1 Dman the other way) for Byfuglien and Kane. It might be a lot, but we are getting SOLID talent back.

If we get Byfuglien..we are seriously set on defence. We have so many rookies fighting for the last spot and they aren't bad rookies.our dcore would probably be the deepest in the league.
Thats not going to happen, this isn't NHL 2012 lol.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:09 PM
kmo429

Streit is still #1. If he can play like he did in the 2nd half last year, he's stilla legit #1 dman. Hamonic, though may be our most complete, and in the not too distant future, best defenseman. he does it all and I love him. He's the perfect #2. Brent Seabrook lite with that kind of potential. Visnovsky is our #3, and if ehalthy can be a very good offensive #3, who puts up 40+ points. MacDonald, asside Viz, will be able to focus mopre on his defnse and less on making those "passes" and "pinching" which he often fails at. Mac is a #4 and he coudl thrive next to Viz. And in addition, Im really looking forward to that 3rd pair of Carkner and Donovan/De Haan, could eb a fun 3rd unit, lots of physicality and potentiall good offense too

kmo429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Islander Prophet

I think that if Streit and Visnovsky don't lose too much this year due to aging and Hamonic/MacDonald/Carker/DeHaan all continue on their steady progression curves, we might have ourselves on of the best defensive squads in the league

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:34 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
We don't currently have a real #1 or even #2. I expect Hamonic to be a solid #2 at some point but he isn't there yet.

If what you mean is who is this club's version of a #1 it will end up being a toss up between Visnovsky and Streit if you go with the wrote offensive defenseman part of the top pairing being #1. It really depends on what we see out of Vis and who shows up on Streit's side - bad Streit or good Streit. Bad Streit is the first half Streit the past two seasons he played in (skipping the injury year). He was an absolute zero defensively, poor at rushing the puck up, slow in making decisions, etc. Basically, he was a bad 3rd pairing. The later half of those seasons he found his game and turned in some solid numbers.

Vis on the other hand will not battle himself like Streit does, but will be up against injuries which held him back the past two seasons. If he stays healthy, and Mark does the now-established pattern of sucking for the first half of the season I expect him to stand out as the clear #1. If he is injured, and Mark finally finds consistency in his game it will swing in the opposite direction.

If you are looking for the most consistent member of the defensive core who provides a bit of everything, Hamonic is ready to make that step, but I suspect they will have him focusing on the defensive element of his game more than last year.

My real answer though is we don't have one, not in the classic sense of the term.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Hamonic.

Big body, respectable numbers, good at defense.

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Streit's return to form made him a #1 on OUR team.....but he's an NHL #2 if we have a gem in the future this past draft.

Hamonic, EVEN THOUGH HE IS YOUNG (a very important stat for LI, not so much scouts and coaches and players) is an NHL #3 in the making and I am THRILLED we have him. MacD is a #4 on an NHL squad, maybe #5. Vish is a #3, but integral to the power play. The rest? #6's to call ups. Thankfully we have a bona fide #7 goon/antagonist/enforcer in the ranks.

Our defense will be helping us out of the zone quite a bit more now, and will make up for losing PAP quite a bit more than most here recognize. Our team defense was lacking a defense. Not so much anymore, but we still need a stay at home body and a #1 to advance to respectability.

And once again, thank you Jesus, Buddha, Allah, etc. for removing Scott Gorton from the Metro area. I sincerely will continue to be a better person for your answering of my prayers. May he never coach here again except behind the Rangers bench. Amen.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote