HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke Marching marching in the Pride Parade tomorrow

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 02:18 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Whatever floats your boat i guess .
Oh, and as for the question you never asked, Burke could have attended any event, but he was busy this week with Special Olympics and Ducks Unlimited.

As for this cause, this is their premier event, the one with the greatest impact. He feels a need to be there, in honour of his son. I both respect that, and have walked in his shoes. I respect his decision, and I don't give a damn what you think he's supposed to do in that hour tomorrow afternoon.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Shak19

burke is thinking outside the box, looking at new ways to fill out the bottom 6

Old
07-01-2012, 02:23 AM
clawfirst

Quote:
God bless you as well but i'm still waiting for someone to answer why Burke couldn't attend another event that didn't conflict with the start of the UFA period .
Quite simply because the pride parade is held on the same day as the NHL's free agency begins. I understand this might be difficult to come to terms with, but sometimes the actions and duties of a president override that of a GM. Luckily it would be quite easy for a GM to disclose his intentions to his support staff and allow them to carry out the duties when such a conflict arises. I understand this is a difficult concept so I will create an analogy in order to further simplify the concept.

Mess is out of milk but also has to attend the gay pride rally as a public display of tolerance. Mess instructs you "hotpaws" to please pick up a bag of 2% on the way home from your busy day.You deliver the milk at you leisure. Incredibly Mess attends the parade and gets a bag of milk.

Feel free to ask more questions if you do so desire.

Good night and god bless.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:32 AM
Winreims

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post
Quite simply because the pride parade is held on the same day as the NHL's free agency begins. I understand this might be difficult to come to terms with, but sometimes the actions and duties of a president override that of a GM. Luckily it would be quite easy for a GM to disclose his intentions to his support staff and allow them to carry out the duties when such a conflict arises. I understand this is a difficult concept so I will create an analogy in order to further simplify the concept.

Mess is out of milk but also has to attend the gay pride rally as a public display of tolerance. Mess instructs you "hotpaws" to please pick up a bag of 2% on the way home from your busy day. Incredibly Mess attends the parade and gets a bag of milk.

What if fans have more faith in "Mess" to pick up the milk rather than "hotpaws"? Some people would rather "Mess" put his job as #1 priority and pick up the milk himself. You see, "Mess" is close to losing his job if results aren't pleasant this upcoming season. Maybe, just maybe, it would give fans more hope to see "Mess" doing his job and picking up that bag of 2% milk.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:42 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawfirst View Post

Mess is out of milk but also has to attend the gay pride rally as a public display of tolerance. Mess instructs you "hotpaws" to please pick up a bag of 2% on the way home from your busy day.You deliver the milk at you leisure. Incredibly Mess attends the parade and gets a bag of milk.

When did it become mandatory that Burke as President of the Leafs he has to attend every event that occurs in the city ? The idiot mayor has no problems skipping every event associated with gay pride week but somehow Burke has to be there ?

Burke's main respondsibilty is too build a contender and his role as GM superseeds his role as President in this case .

I understand and respect his personel reasons for wanting to show support but there are many other events and many other ways he could have done this which didn't conflict with his responsiblities as GM .

Old
07-01-2012, 02:44 AM
MorriPage

As long as Burke keeps his cell on and answers it the second it rings every time, I couldn't care less about him going to the parade. He can put in all the face time he wants, but he had better be working the entire time.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Tak7

Quote:
When did it become mandatory that Burke as President of the Leafs he has to attend every event that occurs in the city ? The idiot mayor has no problems skipping every event associated with gay pride week but somehow Burke has to be there ?

Burke's main respondsibilty is too build a contender and his role as GM superseeds his role as President in this case .

I understand and respect his personel reasons for wanting to show support but there are many other events and many other ways he could have done this which didn't conflict with his responsiblities as GM .
Why is that? Because you said so...?

I'm genuinely shocked that there are people here criticizing him for wanting to be involved in the parade; he has deep personal reasons, which is reason enough for him to be there. You wouldn't re-arrange your work to attend something deeply important? Of course you ****ing would. Guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing as how pathetic the vocal majority of our fan base is.

He's got a strong team in place; he was abroad last summer on July 1st. He clearly trusts Nonis and the other staff. I'm sure he will constantly be in communication with his team all day. It's not a big deal at all.

NOTE - on the issue of his responsibilities pertaining to the city, I don't mind it one bit. In fact, I encourage it. Fact remains - this team for all the wrong reasons has a peculiar and strange relationship with it's fans; a twisted & messed up one. He's there to try and bring that team closer to the fans & the city and I don't have a problem with that at all. He values community integration, so we, as the community, shouldn't complain about it.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:54 AM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post

I'm genuinely shocked that there are people here criticizing him for wanting to be involved in the parade; he has deep personal reasons, which is reason enough for him to be there. You wouldn't re-arrange your work to attend something deeply important? Of course you ****ing would. Guess I shouldn't be surprised seeing as how pathetic the vocal majority of our fan base is.

He's got a strong team in place; he was abroad last summer on July 1st. He clearly trusts Nonis and the other staff. I'm sure he will constantly be in communication with his team all day. It's not a big deal at all.

NOTE - on the issue of his responsibilities pertaining to the city, I don't mind it one bit. In fact, I encourage it. Fact remains - this team for all the wrong reasons has a peculiar and strange relationship with it's fans; a twisted & messed up one. He's there to try and bring that team closer to the fans & the city and I don't have a problem with that at all. He values community integration, so we, as the community, shouldn't complain about it.
Agree with all of this. The bolded section sums up exactly what I said, albeit in a much more concise manner.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:57 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

His job is President and GM. A little research is all that is needed to learn that plus the common sense to know that Burke wouldn't place a parade ahead of his job.

Old
07-01-2012, 03:02 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
His job is President and GM. A little research is all that is needed to learn that plus the common sense to know that Burke wouldn't place a parade ahead of his job.
What!? I thought it said Brian Burke: GM > President of the Toronto Maple Leafs.................

Old
07-01-2012, 03:09 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post

So you're saying attending a parade is more important than being at work for one of the most important times of the year . This is in reference to his dual roles as president/gm.

Why is it some posters keep ignoring there are more events during gay pride week than just the parade .

What strong team are you taliking about . There's Nonis and Granpa who gave us Finger or maybe the other guy who thought Lebda was a quality signing . They arn't what i call a strong team and Burke's paid the big bucks for a reason and that's to actually be at his job at certain times .

Last edited by hotpaws: 07-01-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old
07-01-2012, 03:12 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Maybe if you read a couple of posts up you'd realize i said he had the dual role . Maybe a litte common sense would stop you from posting crap .

Last edited by hotpaws: 07-01-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old
07-01-2012, 04:00 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
I just wonder what period of life I just stepped into. Do some of you kids in here realize there are certain technological advancements in place that allow Burke to take FOURTY FIVE MINUTES, (I know I know, it seems like the whole day), to step away from his desk to HONOUR HIS SON'S MEMORY, and still be alert and aware of going on?

There's this little device that is around nowadays. It's called a cellphone. You people may have heard of it. It actually would allow Nonis, Poulin or Fletcher the ability to call or text or email Brian Burke during the FOURTY FIVE MINUTES, he is away from his desk for the MEMORY OF HIS SON, if anything major should happen.

Burke can then step off to the side of this parade, and answer this text, call or email and talk to Nonis, Poulin or Fletcher about the major development and they can make a judgement on what to do in the situation.

I know, that's some crazy stuff I just wrote out, but please, take a moment to soak it all in and grasp the idea....

Now, I have to say there are a few individuals I'm just absolutely and utterly embarrassed by here reading through this. It's an absolute shame that certain things have been said because of some dislike for a certain man who is our President and GM of our beloved team. There's one poster in here that I am saddened by here tonight. I won't say who, but I hope they know who they are. I would hope they step away from their computer and hang their head in shame. I'm absolutely and utterly disgusted from what I've read. It's pathetic.

Fourty five ****ing minutes to honour something that is MORE important than free agents, the Maple Leafs, the NHL, hockey and certainly all of us who post and read this website regularly. His son and his family are miles more important, and I know we all want to see the Leafs improve, but he'll have everything laid out for the fourty five minutes he needs to do what should be clear to all of us that this is acceptable activity for him, irregardless of the day it is tomorrow. If whoever the Leafs are coveting tomorrow and in the next few months can't grasp all of that, which I hope all of you in here can, well that player can simply go **** himself and doesn't deserve to wear the Maple Leaf across his chest.

To everyone who has displayed some...just disgusting posting and behavior tonight, grow the **** up.

Old
07-01-2012, 05:46 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Good for burke. proud of our team and staff #firstclassorganization

Old
07-01-2012, 07:16 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
I just wonder what period of life I just stepped into. Do some of you kids in here realize there are certain technological advancements in place that allow Burke to take FOURTY FIVE MINUTES, (I know I know, it seems like the whole day), to step away from his desk to HONOUR HIS SON'S MEMORY, and still be alert and aware of going on?

There's this little device that is around nowadays. It's called a cellphone. You people may have heard of it. It actually would allow Nonis, Poulin or Fletcher the ability to call or text or email Brian Burke during the FOURTY FIVE MINUTES, he is away from his desk for the MEMORY OF HIS SON, if anything major should happen.

Burke can then step off to the side of this parade, and answer this text, call or email and talk to Nonis, Poulin or Fletcher about the major development and they can make a judgement on what to do in the situation.

I know, that's some crazy stuff I just wrote out, but please, take a moment to soak it all in and grasp the idea....

Now, I have to say there are a few individuals I'm just absolutely and utterly embarrassed by here reading through this. It's an absolute shame that certain things have been said because of some dislike for a certain man who is our President and GM of our beloved team. There's one poster in here that I am saddened by here tonight. I won't say who, but I hope they know who they are. I would hope they step away from their computer and hang their head in shame. I'm absolutely and utterly disgusted from what I've read. It's pathetic.

Fourty five ****ing minutes to honour something that is MORE important than free agents, the Maple Leafs, the NHL, hockey and certainly all of us who post and read this website regularly. His son and his family are miles more important, and I know we all want to see the Leafs improve, but he'll have everything laid out for the fourty five minutes he needs to do what should be clear to all of us that this is acceptable activity for him, irregardless of the day it is tomorrow. If whoever the Leafs are coveting tomorrow and in the next few months can't grasp all of that, which I hope all of you in here can, well that player can simply go **** himself and doesn't deserve to wear the Maple Leaf across his chest.

To everyone who has displayed some...just disgusting posting and behavior tonight, grow the **** up.
Even if he steps away for 3 hours I could care less. Why do people imagine this day as a "war room" scenario? Can't UFAs be signed tomorrow or the day after? Haven't teams and agents put things in place before today?

Grow
Up
Most
Of
You

Old
07-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Hurt

What a nightmare of a thread. It will be closed tonight (or earlier if other mods decide it's not worth the hassle). I just deleted far too many posts to be pleased with. Just stop with the nonsense people.

07-01-2012, 08:35 AM
RogerRoeper*

Who cares? There's no one to sign. Are there people on here who think the Leafs will sign Parise and Suter?

Old
07-01-2012, 08:38 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
Even if he steps away for 3 hours I could care less. Why do people imagine this day as a "war room" scenario? Can't UFAs be signed tomorrow or the day after? Haven't teams and agents put things in place before today?

Grow
Up
Most
Of
You
Not to mention Burke has a huge management team that he can lean on. Two of which are former GMs that if I may say so, were pretty good in their own right.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
MeoTwist

Just an observation, but remember the outrage last year when Burkie was in Afghanistan supporting the troops when he was supposed to be doing the UFA thing on July 1st? No outrage this year, though...

Old
07-01-2012, 08:44 AM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwist View Post
Just an observation, but remember the outrage last year when Burkie was in Afghanistan supporting the troops when he was supposed to be doing the UFA thing on July 1st? No outrage this year, though...
You just wait... this is going to be blown up in the media too. If not I think it is just because of Brendan.

If Brendan was a troop that fought in Afghanistan, they probably would have taken it easier on him then too.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:50 AM
mikedumar

some of you truly need to get your heads checked

humanity over any stupid silly sports team

he is honouring and remembering his son who he lost, by attending the parade

i could give a ratass if he doesnt sign some multimillion dollar celebrity today

Old
07-01-2012, 08:57 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Okay everyone knows where he'll be for some time.

/thread

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.
Closed Thread