HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

WILL Dan Boyle get traded?

View Poll Results: Do you think Dan Boyle WILL be traded?
Yes 11 12.64%
No 29 33.33%
Not sure 5 5.75%
Only if the right offer comes our way, otherwise no, DW won't 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
Have I missed something? I know I don't follow the Sharks news as much as I used to but trading Boyle seems to have come out of the blue to me. Based on what evidence? Just that other teams want him?

Guy is a staple on our team. Trading him makes us worse now, so why would Wilson do it?
The no-trade clause in his contract changes today 7/1/12. It goes from a full no-trade in which DW wouldn't even bother asking to a limited in which he gives a list of 8 teams he wouldn't accept a trade to. Today is the first day that he legitimately comes into play as a potential trade piece.

As for why, it would depend on what's out there for him. If he can sign Suter, it's a no-brainer. If he can get an impact young top six forward as part of a package for him, it'd be hard to say no. Boyle's only got a couple years left on his contract and after that, he has no future value.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:29 AM
KzooShark

I think he'll listen to offers, but'll have to be blown away to even call Boyle to get his list of 8 teams he won't waive for.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
I think he'll listen to offers, but'll have to be blown away to even call Boyle to get his list of 8 teams he won't waive for.
He won't have to call Boyle. It will already be given to him going forward.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Arrch

vCash: 3095
Quote:
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks
Note on a busy day: Window in Dan Boyle's NMC opens today, but agent said #sjsharks have not asked for list of unacceptable destinations.
Looks like the answer is no for now.

Arrch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:19 PM
rangerssharks414

I don't think Boyle will be traded. In the unlikely scenario in which they sign Suter, he will be traded.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:38 AM
Squeeven

To be honest, many of you may disagree with me and few of you will agree with me. But I think that Boyle is better than Suter. I personally don't see what all the hype is about with Suter. I don't see what is so fabulous about the guy that he deserves $7.8M, which for any defensemen is flat out nuts! Suter may be a great defensemen but I'm not sure he can be a leader and a quarterback to a team's power play and lead a teams defense core the way Boyle can.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:01 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
And that's where I disagree. We are two wingers, a bottom six, and a fix to a completely broken PK with coaches that have failed at it the last couple years away from being a contender. Solid defense at even strength but exploited regularly by speed teams. Solid power play but pretty much a one unit team that can be stopped.
I'll agree that we need 2 wingers and a fixed PK, etc. We are no where near the start of the season and some of our divisional completion may be getting worse.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
To be honest, many of you may disagree with me and few of you will agree with me. But I think that Boyle is better than Suter. I personally don't see what all the hype is about with Suter. I don't see what is so fabulous about the guy that he deserves $7.8M, which for any defensemen is flat out nuts! Suter may be a great defensemen but I'm not sure he can be a leader and a quarterback to a team's power play and lead a teams defense core the way Boyle can.
They each have their abilities. Boyle is better offensively and Suter is better defensively is about how it is summed up. The purpose behind it is to extend the team's window. Boyle is 36 with two years left on his contract and who knows on his career. Suter is 27. If it were a legitimate option to get him and trade Boyle for other assets, it has to be done. Obviously, with the term given to both Suter and Parise, that wasn't a legitimate option for the Sharks.

Suter can definitely be a leader and can competently run a power play as can others on this team not named Boyle. They wouldn't do as well as Boyle in that department but it would be made up for defensively as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
I'll agree that we need 2 wingers and a fixed PK, etc. We are no where near the start of the season and some of our divisional completion may be getting worse.
I'm glad that they've taken some positive steps with regards to coaching, strategies, and philosophies. It's good that they've identified that particular area as it was probably the biggest issue. The problem that has always come up with DW is that he never addresses all of the issues prior to the season starting. That has been the case for years. Some of it he simply can't do like getting a #1 before Boyle showed up and like getting a PMD well before they traded for Ian White. Right now, the lineup roughly looks like...

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Wingels-Handzus-Burish
Galiardi-Desjardins-??? between Sheppard and an AHL'er of ours.

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Boyle
Murray-Braun/Demers

Niemi-Greiss

The goaltending is fine. The blue line can be better and more balanced if they can acquire a PMD on the left side. That third line, outside of Wingels, sucks and even Wingels isn't right now an ideal third liner yet. The team needs to rid itself of Handzus, get a replacement, and find a way to push Burish down to the 4th line. Chances are that Burish will be a 3rd liner on this team but I don't necessarily agree with it. He's not much of a producer and not much of a shutdown player and even if he was the latter, he's not going to be supported very well by Handzus as his center.

Old
07-13-2012, 09:21 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Wingels-Handzus-Burish

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Boyle
Murray-Braun/Demers

Niemi-Greiss
Should have kept Bonino...

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 12:14 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:

I'm glad that they've taken some positive steps with regards to coaching, strategies, and philosophies. It's good that they've identified that particular area as it was probably the biggest issue. The problem that has always come up with DW is that he never addresses all of the issues prior to the season starting. That has been the case for years. Some of it he simply can't do like getting a #1 before Boyle showed up and like getting a PMD well before they traded for Ian White. Right now, the lineup roughly looks like...

Clowe-Couture-Havlat
Wingels-Handzus-Burish

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Boyle
Murray-Braun/Demers

Niemi-Greiss

The goaltending is fine. The blue line can be better and more balanced if they can acquire a PMD on the left side. That third line, outside of Wingels, sucks and even Wingels isn't right now an ideal third liner yet. The team needs to rid itself of Handzus, get a replacement, and find a way to push Burish down to the 4th line. Chances are that Burish will be a 3rd liner on this team but I don't necessarily agree with it. He's not much of a producer and not much of a shutdown player and even if he was the latter, he's not going to be supported very well by Handzus as his center.
Handzus just has to go, he's terrible for us - his void creates 2 winger openings. I agree i don't see anyone else that's a 3rd liner mostly all 4th liners. I really think Logan/Pavs will become a 3 line center and would be partnered up with some new wingers, to be obtained, for scoring depth. One of Wingels, TJ, Burnish, Desi or even Shepard could be in the top 6 from time to time resulting in 3 lines that can score, i don't generally like the "3rd line" way of thinking, more of 3 #2 or #1 lines. Pretty good chance Shep plays the year in the AHL, just needs to find his game..

Old
07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Pretty good chance Shep plays the year in the AHL, just needs to find his game..
Sheppard was a 40 point player for the Wild before his injury. If he is healthy, he should challange for a 3rd line spot.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks View Post
Sheppard was a 40 point player for the Wild before his injury. If he is healthy, he should challange for a 3rd line spot.
Sheppards career high in points was 24...

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:10 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
40PIM player maybe. Career high 24pts.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 02:30 PM
CupfortheSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
40PIM player maybe. Career high 24pts.
Doh! I looked at the wrong stat...and I haven't even had one adult beverage yet. I'll take that as a sign that I need to get started. It's way past noon.

CupfortheSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:27 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Would have to be the right trade that makes the team better now and in the future. I don't see that one coming though.

My hope for Boyle is the new coaching staff is the defensemen we brougt in get a real read on the players and better match their minutes to their abilities. I personally like to see Boyle reunited with Murray as a second pairing and reduce their time and situations. I'd much rather keep Boyle off the PK and reduce his minutes so he can skate up the ice with a little more speed and not have to block shots with his feet. Running his aging legs into the ground, and skating Murray more than 18 minutes a game isn't the right approach at this stage of either of their careers.

07-13-2012, 03:37 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Would have to be the right trade that makes the team better now and in the future. I don't see that one coming though.

My hope for Boyle is the new coaching staff is the defensemen we brougt in get a real read on the players and better match their minutes to their abilities. I personally like to see Boyle reunited with Murray as a second pairing and reduce their time and situations. I'd much rather keep Boyle off the PK and reduce his minutes so he can skate up the ice with a little more speed and not have to block shots with his feet. Running his aging legs into the ground, and skating Murray more than 18 minutes a game isn't the right approach at this stage of either of their careers.
Stuart is a significantly superior player to Murray though, and a better match for Boyle (since he can skate). If we keep Murray, he's a better partner for a young guy needing a vet partner like Bruan.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Stuart is a significantly superior player to Murray though, and a better match for Boyle (since he can skate). If we keep Murray, he's a better partner for a young guy needing a vet partner like Bruan.
Braun is probably the quickest of our D-men too. Murray needs to be paired with someone quick to get him out of trouble and Braun fits that bill.

Don't we still need a playmaking D-man for the left side? I would be ok trading Murray or Demers for something like that. Basically get a Demers like player who can play left side. Prefer we trade Murray and keep Demers.

07-13-2012, 05:14 PM
MarleauApologist
I no much like LA

Burns has the potential to become a much better player than Boyle in his career.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:33 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Braun is probably the quickest of our D-men too.
Burns

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 05:35 PM
kluu

Trade Boyle? Is this team still trying to win the cup?

kluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 08:37 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
He's not played in much recently due to injurys, needs a year in the A to recover his game i'm thinking...

Old
07-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
He's not played in much recently due to injurys, needs a year in the A to recover his game i'm thinking...
A year in Worcester is not really an option.

Old
07-13-2012, 08:42 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
A year in Worcester is not really an option.
I know, this is why i think depending on other roster moves he could be the 13th forward at the NHL level. Kind of regain his NHL game on the big team, maybe get some 4th line work in, etc.

Old
07-16-2012, 04:34 PM
OettingerCroat

Some of those forward lines you guys have mentioned are really nifty especially the 2nd one, love the idea of Couture flanked by Havlat and Michalek coming over from Ottawa, however I neither think Boyle will get traded nor do I believe he should. Aside from his intensity and his experience (our only captain with a championship), I find him to be a very graceful defenceman, a very good skater. It's always fun watching opposing teams leave him so much empty ice... They often regret it afterward. The guy is a powder keg and I'm glad he's on the team, the Sharks are better with him on the team. My two cents

OettingerCroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Matthew Taylor ‏@FTFsTCY

Per Buccigross tweet to me just now, Boyle for Gaborik died because of Gaborik's shoulder surgery.
Boyle may be on the trade-block.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote