HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

WILL Dan Boyle get traded?

View Poll Results: Do you think Dan Boyle WILL be traded?
Yes 11 12.64%
No 29 33.33%
Not sure 5 5.75%
Only if the right offer comes our way, otherwise no, DW won't 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-17-2012, 04:00 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
I am perfectly fine with retooling, I promoted that pretty heavily a month or so ago, but clearly that is not what DW is looking to do (at least not in that way) so I've moved on.

If it was upto me I would be looking at trades for:

Thornton
Clowe
Boyle
Murray
Handzus
Niemi

For picks, prospects, and young players. Start with a new core of Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic and go from there.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I am perfectly fine with retooling, I promoted that pretty heavily a month or so ago, but clearly that is not what DW is looking to do (at least not in that way) so I've moved on.

Thornton
Clowe
Boyle
Murray
Handzus
Niemi

For picks, prospects, and young players. Start with a new core of Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic and go from there.
I would do that. Acquire as much young forward talent as possible. Go from there. Keep Marleau and Havlat as complimentary player.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I think if the Sharks are willing to give up the Cup chase for a couple of years, they can return to serious contender status if they move Boyle, JT, Murray, Niemi, and Clowe. Keep Marleau and Havlat as speedy veterans..
They would both demand trades. No way they would play for a loser

07-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Marleau wouldn't. If Havlat demanded a trade, that's fine. I would prefer to keep him around, but if he demanded to go, it just alters my plan.

Personally, I think Marleau wants (and should be) a Shark for his whole career, and probably post-career as well. And I honestly don't see the recent teams as giving him any better shot at a Cup than a re-tooled team. Especially if they followed through and focused on the organizational issues (development being a huge one, team construction and management another).

EDIT: Forgot to add, if Marleau did demand a trade, that's fine too. I would prefer to keep a vet like Marleau around, a quiet guy who has been with the team through good and bad, but who could be supportive of a new captain like Pavs, and who is (despite the many criticisms) an outstanding player who I think will remain effective for years more to go.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Havlat, probably. Marleau, I doubt it.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Vaasa

Quote:

Thornton
Clowe
Boyle
Murray
Handzus
Niemi

The only reason I didn't include Handzus is that I don't expect that even if he was moved that the asset in return would be much of a factor in a re-tool (if ever).

I want a new core of Couture, Pavs (new Captain IMO), Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Demers, and some of the new talent acquired via trading the assets above.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:46 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Marleau wouldn't.
Then he's a player with no desire to win. And that attitude would infect whatever youth is brought in

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:50 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Then he's a player with no desire to win. And that attitude would infect whatever youth is brought in
That is a very good point. That said, I doubt he'd waive under any circumstances, so you end just having to wait out his two years. If he's got a window though, yah, as much as I love Marleau in that situation I would probably do it.

Old
07-17-2012, 04:52 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
That is based on a premise that is not entirely bulletproof. There are many instances in professional sports where there is a desire is work and build a winner in the locale where the player is over the supposed instant success of a joining a "contender". I don't buy your argument although it is a commonly held assumption.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

I don't hold that assumption. I think he wants to win and would leave if the Sharks said they were going to rebuild

Old
07-17-2012, 05:02 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
I don't hold that assumption. I think he wants to win and would leave if the Sharks said they were going to rebuild
Parise and Suter just went to Minny on the premise of building rather than joining an already strong team. I don't think either of them entertain the thought that they will be contending for a cup next season.

Marleau also has the example from early in his career when they underwent the overhaul post-02 and enjoyed their greatest post-season success in history subsequently.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

If we were rebuilding and I had to pick between Patty or Jumbo, I'd keep Jumbo. Since we are going young, speed is not going to be an issue anymore. I expect Jumbo to be a good captain and influence on the youngsters and perform well for another 3-4 years.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Yeah, Shane Doan would be a terrible guy to bring in, because he obviously has NO desire to ever win. I mean, he still wants to stay with a team in Phoenix still won't win a Cup, despite finally making a little noise in the playoffs. And all those years in the past when he re-signed with them, despite their losing ways? Yeah, total loser that you would never want on a young hockey team as an example of leadership and dedication.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
If we were rebuilding and I had to pick between Patty or Jumbo, I'd keep Jumbo. Since we are going young, speed is not going to be an issue anymore. I expect Jumbo to be a good captain and influence on the youngsters and perform well for another 3-4 years.
Huh? Did Couture and Pavelski magically learn how to skate faster because of their youth?

Old
07-17-2012, 05:07 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Parise and Suter just went to Minny on the premise of building rather than joining an already strong team. I don't think either of them entertain the thought that they will be contending for a cup next season..
For $100 million and they are 5 years younger

Old
07-17-2012, 05:11 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!

Quote:
Yeah, Shane Doan would be a terrible guy to bring in, because he obviously has NO desire to ever win. I mean, he still wants to stay with a team in Phoenix still won't win a Cup, despite finally making a little noise in the playoffs. And all those years in the past when he re-signed with them, despite their losing ways? Yeah, total loser that you would never want on a young hockey team as an example of leadership and dedication.
I don't want him on the Sharks. Clowe is better at this point.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Huh? Did Couture and Pavelski magically learn how to skate faster because of their youth?
Jumbo, Pavs and Couture as the slow skaters. I can deal with it. I simply feel Jumbo is a better leader and can keep performing at a better level than Marleau over the next 3-4 years.

Only reason I'd even consider trading Jumbo is if the return is ridiculously better than what Marleau gets.

07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Jumbo, Pavs and Couture as the slow skaters. I can deal with it. I simply feel Jumbo is a better leader and can keep performing at a better level than Marleau over the next 3-4 years.

Only reason I'd even consider trading Jumbo is if the return is ridiculously better than what Marleau gets.
OK, that's fair I guess. Personally, I think JT is one of the biggest problems with the team and as long as a good deal came along (not over-payment by the other team), I would move him in a heartbeat. I've been a JT fan since he started with the Bruins, but I just don't think he has what it takes to play the lead role on a Cup-winning team (note, I am not talking about "heart", I'm talking about the way he plays and his physical capabilities).

Old
07-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
I don't want him on the Sharks. Clowe is better at this point.
To me, whether you think Clowe is better or not is irrelevent. It's the conflation that anyone who doesn't immediately demand a trade because their current team might not make the playoffs for a year "doesn't want to win" and "shouldn't be around young players" that is utterly insane.

Heck, I don't particularly want Doan, especially at the rumored contract price. But to say that his unwillingness to leave Phoenix means he doesn't want to win and that he would be a bad influence on younger players is so utterly insane from EVERYTHING that has ever been said about the guy that it is literally something I can't process.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
I guess Jarome Iginla is just a soupless harpie who doesn't care about winning either.

Last edited by TheJuxtaposer: 07-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old
07-17-2012, 05:36 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I guess Jarome Iginla is just a soulless harpie who doesn't care about winning either.
For some reason I read that as 'soupless' harpie, and it was much funnier

Old
07-17-2012, 05:39 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
For some reason I read that as 'soupless' harpie, and it was much funnier
Too bad I'm a little late, if I'd made that before the 'show edit' time cut-off, that could have been hilarious.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:44 PM
SactoShark
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 50
Can mods please change the title to "I Hate the Sharks Thread".

SactoShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Can mods please change the title to "I Hate the Sharks Thread".
I approve of everything this chooses to be:

Old
07-17-2012, 05:51 PM
murdock1116

Quote:

Thornton
Clowe
Boyle
Murray
Handzus
Niemi

The problem with the proposed firesale and keeping Marleau and Havlat is that we would have no leadership. And maybe that's overrated and hard to evaluate but I think it's a big deal.

Plus with that new core we would be so mediocre. Like Dallas Stars mediocre, and there is nothing worse than missing barely missing the playoffs year after year with no lottery picks to boot.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote