HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

WILL Dan Boyle get traded?

View Poll Results: Do you think Dan Boyle WILL be traded?
Yes 11 12.64%
No 29 33.33%
Not sure 5 5.75%
Only if the right offer comes our way, otherwise no, DW won't 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2012, 04:00 PM
  #101
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,791
vCash: 500
I am perfectly fine with retooling, I promoted that pretty heavily a month or so ago, but clearly that is not what DW is looking to do (at least not in that way) so I've moved on.

If it was upto me I would be looking at trades for:

Thornton
Clowe
Boyle
Murray
Handzus
Niemi

For picks, prospects, and young players. Start with a new core of Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic and go from there.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
  #102
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I am perfectly fine with retooling, I promoted that pretty heavily a month or so ago, but clearly that is not what DW is looking to do (at least not in that way) so I've moved on.

If it was upto me I would be looking at trades for:

Thornton
Clowe
Boyle
Murray
Handzus
Niemi

For picks, prospects, and young players. Start with a new core of Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic and go from there.
I would do that. Acquire as much young forward talent as possible. Go from there. Keep Marleau and Havlat as complimentary player.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
  #103
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
I think if the Sharks are willing to give up the Cup chase for a couple of years, they can return to serious contender status if they move Boyle, JT, Murray, Niemi, and Clowe. Keep Marleau and Havlat as speedy veterans..
They would both demand trades. No way they would play for a loser

__________________
Gots all my pertinence on it and such
SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:32 PM
  #104
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,122
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
They would both demand trades. No way they would play for a loser
Marleau wouldn't. If Havlat demanded a trade, that's fine. I would prefer to keep him around, but if he demanded to go, it just alters my plan.

Personally, I think Marleau wants (and should be) a Shark for his whole career, and probably post-career as well. And I honestly don't see the recent teams as giving him any better shot at a Cup than a re-tooled team. Especially if they followed through and focused on the organizational issues (development being a huge one, team construction and management another).

EDIT: Forgot to add, if Marleau did demand a trade, that's fine too. I would prefer to keep a vet like Marleau around, a quiet guy who has been with the team through good and bad, but who could be supportive of a new captain like Pavs, and who is (despite the many criticisms) an outstanding player who I think will remain effective for years more to go.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:32 PM
  #105
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 29,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
They would both demand trades. No way they would play for a loser
Havlat, probably. Marleau, I doubt it.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:35 PM
  #106
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,122
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I am perfectly fine with retooling, I promoted that pretty heavily a month or so ago, but clearly that is not what DW is looking to do (at least not in that way) so I've moved on.

If it was upto me I would be looking at trades for:

Thornton
Clowe
Boyle
Murray
Handzus
Niemi

For picks, prospects, and young players. Start with a new core of Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic and go from there.
The only reason I didn't include Handzus is that I don't expect that even if he was moved that the asset in return would be much of a factor in a re-tool (if ever).

I want a new core of Couture, Pavs (new Captain IMO), Burns, Vlasic, Braun, Demers, and some of the new talent acquired via trading the assets above.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:46 PM
  #107
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Marleau wouldn't.
Then he's a player with no desire to win. And that attitude would infect whatever youth is brought in

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:50 PM
  #108
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Then he's a player with no desire to win. And that attitude would infect whatever youth is brought in
That is a very good point. That said, I doubt he'd waive under any circumstances, so you end just having to wait out his two years. If he's got a window though, yah, as much as I love Marleau in that situation I would probably do it.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:52 PM
  #109
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 11,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Then he's a player with no desire to win. And that attitude would infect whatever youth is brought in
That is based on a premise that is not entirely bulletproof. There are many instances in professional sports where there is a desire is work and build a winner in the locale where the player is over the supposed instant success of a joining a "contender". I don't buy your argument although it is a commonly held assumption.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
  #110
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,724
vCash: 500
I don't hold that assumption. I think he wants to win and would leave if the Sharks said they were going to rebuild

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:02 PM
  #111
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 11,805
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I don't hold that assumption. I think he wants to win and would leave if the Sharks said they were going to rebuild
Parise and Suter just went to Minny on the premise of building rather than joining an already strong team. I don't think either of them entertain the thought that they will be contending for a cup next season.

Marleau also has the example from early in his career when they underwent the overhaul post-02 and enjoyed their greatest post-season success in history subsequently.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:03 PM
  #112
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
If we were rebuilding and I had to pick between Patty or Jumbo, I'd keep Jumbo. Since we are going young, speed is not going to be an issue anymore. I expect Jumbo to be a good captain and influence on the youngsters and perform well for another 3-4 years.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
  #113
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,122
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Then he's a player with no desire to win. And that attitude would infect whatever youth is brought in
Yeah, Shane Doan would be a terrible guy to bring in, because he obviously has NO desire to ever win. I mean, he still wants to stay with a team in Phoenix still won't win a Cup, despite finally making a little noise in the playoffs. And all those years in the past when he re-signed with them, despite their losing ways? Yeah, total loser that you would never want on a young hockey team as an example of leadership and dedication.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:06 PM
  #114
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,122
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
If we were rebuilding and I had to pick between Patty or Jumbo, I'd keep Jumbo. Since we are going young, speed is not going to be an issue anymore. I expect Jumbo to be a good captain and influence on the youngsters and perform well for another 3-4 years.
Huh? Did Couture and Pavelski magically learn how to skate faster because of their youth?

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:07 PM
  #115
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Parise and Suter just went to Minny on the premise of building rather than joining an already strong team. I don't think either of them entertain the thought that they will be contending for a cup next season..
For $100 million and they are 5 years younger

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:11 PM
  #116
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
It's time!
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Yeah, Shane Doan would be a terrible guy to bring in, because he obviously has NO desire to ever win. I mean, he still wants to stay with a team in Phoenix still won't win a Cup, despite finally making a little noise in the playoffs. And all those years in the past when he re-signed with them, despite their losing ways? Yeah, total loser that you would never want on a young hockey team as an example of leadership and dedication.
I don't want him on the Sharks. Clowe is better at this point.

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
  #117
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Huh? Did Couture and Pavelski magically learn how to skate faster because of their youth?
Jumbo, Pavs and Couture as the slow skaters. I can deal with it. I simply feel Jumbo is a better leader and can keep performing at a better level than Marleau over the next 3-4 years.

Only reason I'd even consider trading Jumbo is if the return is ridiculously better than what Marleau gets.

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:18 PM
  #118
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,122
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Jumbo, Pavs and Couture as the slow skaters. I can deal with it. I simply feel Jumbo is a better leader and can keep performing at a better level than Marleau over the next 3-4 years.

Only reason I'd even consider trading Jumbo is if the return is ridiculously better than what Marleau gets.
OK, that's fair I guess. Personally, I think JT is one of the biggest problems with the team and as long as a good deal came along (not over-payment by the other team), I would move him in a heartbeat. I've been a JT fan since he started with the Bruins, but I just don't think he has what it takes to play the lead role on a Cup-winning team (note, I am not talking about "heart", I'm talking about the way he plays and his physical capabilities).

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:23 PM
  #119
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,122
vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
I don't want him on the Sharks. Clowe is better at this point.
To me, whether you think Clowe is better or not is irrelevent. It's the conflation that anyone who doesn't immediately demand a trade because their current team might not make the playoffs for a year "doesn't want to win" and "shouldn't be around young players" that is utterly insane.

Heck, I don't particularly want Doan, especially at the rumored contract price. But to say that his unwillingness to leave Phoenix means he doesn't want to win and that he would be a bad influence on younger players is so utterly insane from EVERYTHING that has ever been said about the guy that it is literally something I can't process.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
  #120
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Then he's a player with no desire to win. And that attitude would infect whatever youth is brought in
I guess Jarome Iginla is just a soupless harpie who doesn't care about winning either.


Last edited by TheJuxtaposer: 07-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.
TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:36 PM
  #121
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 16,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I guess Jarome Iginla is just a soulless harpie who doesn't care about winning either.
For some reason I read that as 'soupless' harpie, and it was much funnier

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:39 PM
  #122
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
For some reason I read that as 'soupless' harpie, and it was much funnier
Too bad I'm a little late, if I'd made that before the 'show edit' time cut-off, that could have been hilarious.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:44 PM
  #123
SactoShark
fun must be alwalys
 
SactoShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,187
vCash: 50
Can mods please change the title to "I Hate the Sharks Thread".

SactoShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
  #124
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 23,664
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Can mods please change the title to "I Hate the Sharks Thread".
I approve of everything this chooses to be:


TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 05:51 PM
  #125
murdock1116
Registered User
 
murdock1116's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I am perfectly fine with retooling, I promoted that pretty heavily a month or so ago, but clearly that is not what DW is looking to do (at least not in that way) so I've moved on.

If it was upto me I would be looking at trades for:

Thornton
Clowe
Boyle
Murray
Handzus
Niemi

For picks, prospects, and young players. Start with a new core of Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Vlasic and go from there.
The problem with the proposed firesale and keeping Marleau and Havlat is that we would have no leadership. And maybe that's overrated and hard to evaluate but I think it's a big deal.

Plus with that new core we would be so mediocre. Like Dallas Stars mediocre, and there is nothing worse than missing barely missing the playoffs year after year with no lottery picks to boot.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.