HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Your Captain Shawn Horcoff......

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Your Captain Shawn Horcoff......

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ked-off-player

Quote:
TROY, Mich. -- Veteran forward Shawn Horcoff was one of the few on the ice still wearing the logo of his NHL team during informal player workouts Monday morning in suburban Detroit. But the fact that he wasn't wearing a NHLPA jersey wasn’t any sort of statement.

It was more about a jersey shortage.

"There’s only so many [NHLPA practice jerseys]," he said, smiling. "The [Oilers] never took mine back in time. I had it from the summer. I said, 'You know what? I’m going to wear this out of spite.' "
Yes wear the Oilers jersey out of spite, the same jersey that has made you $30,800,000 in the last 6 years and $20 million in the last 3 years.

This is our ****ing captain ladies and gentlemen, crapping on our teams jersey because he is pissed off that he is missing out on his $6 million salary this season which he'd be lucky to earn a third of based on his actual play.

Crap on Bettman all that you want, but the second that you crap on the Oilers jersey or organization you can **** yourself. I hope that there's a buyout provision where you can but out NMC/NTC's so that we can buy this plug out and send him on his merry ****ing way so that he doesn't have to wear our jersey ever again it sounds like he'd be happy with that, Lord knows that I'd be ecstatic.

10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Yes wear the Oilers jersey out of spite, the same jersey that has made you $30,800,000 in the last 6 years and $20 million in the last 3 years.

This is our ****ing captain ladies and gentlemen, crapping on our teams jersey because he is pissed off that he is missing out on his $6 million salary this season which he'd be lucky to earn a third of based on his actual play.

Crap on Bettman all that you want, but the second that you crap on the Oilers jersey or organization you can **** yourself. I hope that there's a buyout provision where you can but out NMC/NTC's so that we can buy this plug out and send him on his merry ****ing way so that he doesn't have to wear our jersey ever again it sounds like he'd be happy with that, Lord knows that I'd be ecstatic.
He's spiting the NHL and it's lack of action, dude. Although that doesn't seem to be the case today.

You don't really think he's dumb enough to spite the team he plays for in a hockey mad market like this, do you?

To me, what he's saying he's wearing the Oilers jersey even if the NHL is locked out.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
He's spiting the NHL and it's lack of action, dude. Although that doesn't seem to be the case today.

You don't really think he's dumb enough to spite the team he plays for in a hockey mad market like this, do you?

To me, what he's saying he's wearing the Oilers jersey even if the NHL is locked out.
QFT. Figure it out

Old
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
scid14

Quote:

This was my initial thought when I read this too, was actually surprised when I read your post BBO. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem to me like he is wearing it to spite the Oilers, I thought of it more along the lines of standing up to the lockout and the NHL.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

He admits that it wasn't taken back in time almost as if he is in possession of stolen property and then he makes a comment like that? Sorry but you take it how you want, and I'll take it how I want to. If there's any one player that shouldn't be pissed off at NHL owners it's this overpaid bum.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:30 PM
IV XIV XCI

This might be the most misinterpreted thing I've ever seen.

Horcoff loves the Oilers.

This thread is a failure in reading-comprehension.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:30 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

If the captain of any team is states that he is wearing the crest in spite, under any circumstance, he should be immediately stripped of the captaincy.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:31 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
This might be the most misinterpreted thing I've ever seen.

Horcoff loves the Oilers.

This thread is a failure in reading-comprehension.
"The [Oilers] never took mine back in time. I had it from the summer. I said, 'You know what? I’m going to wear this out of spite.' "

If you can read that and conclude that Horcoff loves the Oilers, the failure in reading-comprehension is your own.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
"The [Oilers] never took mine back in time. I had it from the summer. I said, 'You know what? Iím going to wear this out of spite.' "

If you can read that and conclude that Horcoff loves the Oilers, the failure in reading-comprehension is your own.
Where does it say he's spiting the Oilers?

If he doesn't like them why would he wear the jersey when he's not playing?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

You wear an NHL jersey like this out of spite, not the jersey of your current team.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...sScheifele.jpg

Old
10-16-2012, 01:37 PM
IV XIV XCI

The spite is directed toward the league/lockout, not the jersey.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

BTW-Does he honestly think that wearing a jersey that any Tom, Dick, or Harry could buy is spiting anyone? Is it because he thinks that he's just so great that word might get back to Gary and the boys that Shawn Horcoff is wearing his jersey that it might hurry them into ending the lockout? Give me a break. They don't give a damn if he's wearing a tiara on the ice, let alone what jersey he sports.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:

Testify!

Regardless of intent it comes off like snarky entitlement.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
The spite is directed toward the league/lockout, not the jersey.
The owner of the team is part of the lockout last I checked. If he was any kind of a captain he would've said that I am an Oiler through and through and I feel like I've earned the right to wear this jersey or something like that, not this kind of crap.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
IV XIV XCI

Quote:
BTW-Does he honestly think that wearing a jersey that any Tom, Dick, or Harry could buy is spiting anyone? Is it because he thinks that he's just so great that word might get back to Gary and the boys that Shawn Horcoff is wearing his jersey that it might hurry them into ending the lockout? Give me a break. They don't give a damn if he's wearing a tiara on the ice, let alone what jersey he sports.

EXACTLY. That's the point. It was a joke AND you are misinterpreting who the joke was aimed at.

That's why the author of the article wanted to include that he said it smiling.

Come on man, really? You're causing something out of nothing.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Where does it say he's spiting the Oilers?

If he doesn't like them why would he wear the jersey when he's not playing?
He is spiting the people who locked him out and are preventing him from collecting his $6 million annual salary. Who do you think is locking him out if not the Oilers? Gary Bettman doesn't sign those ridiculous paycheques.

He is wearing the jersey because the team wasn't able to recover it from him before he left town and he knows they'd prefer it if he didn't wear his uniform during a labour dispute.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:47 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
He is spiting the people who locked him out and are preventing him from collecting his $6 million annual salary. Who do you think is locking him out if not the Oilers? Gary Bettman doesn't sign those ridiculous paycheques.

He is wearing the jersey because the team wasn't able to recover it from him before he left town and he knows they'd prefer it if he didn't wear his uniform during a labour dispute.
This is what you really think? It's amazing how people seriously think Horcoff is like some demon who is the anti-thesis of everything the Oilers stand for.

Bettman may not sign the paychecks but this is the 3rd lockout that's happened since he became comissioner. Coincidence?

Perhaps Horcoff just wants to play hockey in the NHL. Is that so hard to consider?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
Testify!

Regardless of intent it comes off like snarky entitlement.
Bingo, and like I've said for someone that has profited so greatly by giving so little no less.

What does $30,800,000 pay for over 6 years?

418 games 89 goals 235 assists 324 points -67

$20 million over the last 3 seasons?

205 games 35 goals 62 assists 97 points -53

Then we get this kind of great leadership and self entitlement.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
EXACTLY. That's the point. It was a joke AND you are misinterpreting who the joke was aimed at.

That's why the author of the article wanted to include that he said it smiling.

Come on man, really? You're causing something out of nothing.
"There are only so many NHLPA jersey's he said smiling"

Without being there, how can you tell me that what he said next was done so with a smile or sarcasm? If it was, wouldn't the writer have said that he said all of that smiling and not just the NHLPA part?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:54 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
"There are only so many NHLPA jersey's he said smiling"

Without being there, how can you tell me that what he said next was done so with a smile or sarcasm? If it was, wouldn't the writer have said that he said all of that smiling and not just the NHLPA part?
It really depends on your view of Horcoff. If you think he's a greedy sleazebag with concern for no one but himself, then maybe you think it's the latter.

Personally I believe that while Horcoff is arguably one of the worst captains in the league, he's not some monster who only thinks for himself.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:55 PM
BlueChip01

He has never been the same since that shoulder injury. I remember him saying he went down to Mexico or somewhere, got new sticks made, etc. He was sniping the puck. Shoot out monster. Then it's like the 'worst hockey player int he world" stick smacked him in the a**.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Perfect_Drug

1 camp thinks he's wearing the Oilers jersey to spite the owners.

The other thinks hes spitefully wearing the Oilers jersey.

:/

Is this what hfboards was like during the last lockout?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

At the very least our captain comes across as a whiny baby, I don't mind him chopping Bettman's ass, but he took it beyond that.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:57 PM
BlueChip01

Overall, Horcoff should always keep his lips closed. Guy seems very nice, team oriented, etc, but he should be thanking his lucky stars everyday for that contract. He is maybe a 3 million dollar player at best.

Can't blame him for signing it, but that also comes with a lot of criticism. I'm sure he feels the pressure and feels like a POS everyday he skates onto that ice. He's basically taking money he is not earning. Not the only one in the NHL.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
It really depends on your view of Horcoff. If you think he's a greedy sleazebag with concern for no one but himself, then maybe you think it's the latter.

Personally I believe that while Horcoff is arguably one of the worst captains in the league, he's not some monster who only thinks for himself.
Monster is far too strong of a word, self entitled and smug is a bit more along the lines of what I think of him.

Closed Thread