HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Joey Laleggia

Old
10-13-2012, 10:49 AM
SubbanForCouturier

vCash: 500
Joey Laleggia

Hi guys. Just wondering how's Laleggia doing lately and how big is he right now?

forecaster has him 6"2 but the only info i seem to get on him is 5"9 in 2010.

D
Joey LaLeggia

Date of birth: June 24, 1992
Place of birth: Burnaby, B.C., Canada
Ht: 6-2 Wt: 185
Shoots: L
NHL Seasons: 0-R
Drafted by Edmonton in 2012 (5/123).

If you guys have any info on the guy, would be appreciated !! thanks.

SubbanForCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:53 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubbanForCouturier View Post
Hi guys. Just wondering how's Laleggia doing lately and how big is he right now?

forecaster has him 6"2 but the only info i seem to get on him is 5"9 in 2010.

D
Joey LaLeggia

Date of birth: June 24, 1992
Place of birth: Burnaby, B.C., Canada
Ht: 6-2 Wt: 185
Shoots: L
NHL Seasons: 0-R
Drafted by Edmonton in 2012 (5/123).

If you guys have any info on the guy, would be appreciated !! thanks.
If he was 6'2 he'd have been a 1st or 2nd round pick. He's 5'10.

He's only played one game and was even for it with no points.

worraps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

I haven't seen him play this year but he looks taller/bigger than the 5'9" that he's listed at at some places. IIRC he's listed at 5'10" at the Pioneers site so I think that's about right.

10-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
He's only played one game and was even for it with no points.
Denver's regular season starts next Friday.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

He must've ate a green bean from the freezer in Safeway or something. He's your typical puck-moving undersized offensive D-man. If he were 6'2 he would've been a definite threat for last years top 30 if not or even 10. Who knows really. He's a fun prospect if anything.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:38 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
He must've ate a green bean from the freezer in Safeway or something. He's your typical puck-moving undersized offensive D-man. If he were 6'2 he would've been a definite threat for last years top 30 if not or even 10. Who knows really. He's a fun prospect if anything.
if he is 6-2 I think Peter Worrel is passing himself off as this guy now. At last check in he was 5-9 and for the d-man that is not good. Don't see him in the future for the oilers

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
if he is 6-2 I think Peter Worrel is passing himself off as this guy now. At last check in he was 5-9 and for the d-man that is not good. Don't see him in the future for the oilers
If he is physically strong he can play at the NHL level at 5-10. He has every tool necessary with the possible exception of strength. Very good skater, very good passer, and he has a very good shot. From what I've seen of him he's pretty solid in the d zone too. He might have some work to do there or in terms of core strength though because he wasn't playing PK in any of the games that I saw him in.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Tw0Shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
He's pretty much the same size as Brian Campbell.
It's a long shot, but you never know.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 10:46 PM
tiger_80

LaLeggia is the new Omark. Intriguing skill-set, but not likely to overcome his physical limitations.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:20 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
LaLeggia is the new Omark. Intriguing skill-set, but not likely to overcome his physical limitations.
Omarks limitations were more mental than physical.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
If he got the miraculous Duncan Keith growth spurt that would be superb.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Laleggia would skate circles around Omark.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:32 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw0Shoes View Post
He's pretty much the same size as Brian Campbell.
It's a long shot, but you never know.
I thought Brian C was 2 inches bigger?

there is a joke about 2 inches meaning the world of difference--but the mods would fall over themselves hitting me with infractions if I posted it--use your imagination and I am sure you can figure it out

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:35 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He's also a defenceman. The question is not whether he can skate circles around anyone, but whether he can handle NHL size forwards down low.

Old
10-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
If he is physically strong he can play at the NHL level at 5-10. He has every tool necessary with the possible exception of strength. Very good skater, very good passer, and he has a very good shot. From what I've seen of him he's pretty solid in the d zone too. He might have some work to do there or in terms of core strength though because he wasn't playing PK in any of the games that I saw him in.
Quote:
He's also a defenceman. The question is not whether he can skate circles around anyone, but whether he can handle NHL size forwards down low.
I guess you missed my above post?

Old
10-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Oh c'mon now... Linus Omark is a quality professional, Laleggia is still just a college kid. Omark has produced at every single league he's played in, and only in the NHL has he ever struggled. Laleggia is actually a pretty similar project to the Omark pick in 2007, undersized offensive wizard. If Laleggia was already as good as Omark is he would have been a top 60 pick for sure despite his size and birth date. Omark was 3rd in the SEL in scoring as a 21 year old and has scored over a ppg in a WC before, thats a much bigger accomplishment than anything Laleggia has ever done. Omark as of now would skate circles around Laleggia, and thats not a knock on Laleggia at all.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Oh c'mon now... Linus Omark is a quality professional, Laleggia is still just a college kid. Omark has produced at every single league he's played in, and only in the NHL has he ever struggled. Laleggia is actually a pretty similar project to the Omark pick in 2007, undersized offensive wizard. If Laleggia was already as good as Omark is he would have been a top 60 pick for sure despite his size and birth date. Omark was 3rd in the SEL in scoring as a 21 year old and has scored over a ppg in a WC before, thats a much bigger accomplishment than anything Laleggia has ever done. Omark as of now would skate circles around Laleggia, and thats not a knock on Laleggia at all.
Laleggia is a better skater than Omark period. Faster in a straight line, and just overall a better skater. As for Laleggia's accomplishments at the same age (19 year old season) Omark went for 8-9-17 in 50 SEL games while Laleggia went for 11-27-38 in 43 NCAA games good for 3rd among NCAA division 1 defensemen. And the two guys that were ahead of him were 1 (Schmidt) and 2 (Schultz) years older respectively. At the same age Schultz went for 6-16-22 in 43 games. Laleggia is far from chopped liver, and looking at Schultz I think that it's fair to say that team Canada leaves some pretty damn good players off their WJC teams. Watching Laleggia I see no reason why he couldn't have played a Ryan Ellis type of role on team Canada's WJC team last year if they were looking for that kind of a player.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Fourier

I watched the exhibition game that Denver had with UBC. It was actually quite an entertaining game. As BBO said I thought he looked bigger than advertised.

He was fairly quiet in the first two periods. But you could see his skill. Great skater and loves to have the puck. He came to life in the third where at one point he went end to end and then twice moved up into the play generating two very dangerous shots. UBC's goalie had a great game with two really good saves to keep Laleggia off the score board.

I though he was also pretty solid defensively. He showed a cgood stick, breaking up a couple of rushes and deflecting at least two cross ice passes. He handled himself in the corner ok. But his biggest asset is that when he gets the puck he can either move it fast and accurately or can skate it out of the zone.

This was Denver's first game of the year and because of NCAA rules they had had minimal practice time so it is hard to say how his play in this game reflects his true game. It also seems like Denver has had a fair turnover this year with a couple of their top scorers having moved on. Perhaps because of this it might be hard for him to duplicate his numbers from last year. BUt this is certainly a very talented kid.

All in all this kid is an interesting prospect.

BTW, it looks like the Pioneer games are all streamed on the internet. The quality of the game I watched was very good.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:16 PM
SubbanForCouturier

Im trying to acquire him in my Keeper Sim League (Need a good offensive D prospect). I could get him for a 4th round pick.

Does this as more chance to be a waste pick giveaway, or to be a good steal?

SubbanForCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Im trying to acquire him in my Keeper Sim League (Need a good offensive D prospect). I could get him for a 4th round pick.

Too early to tell IMO, if he does become a steal it will be one of monumental proportions though I can tell you that much.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Fourier

Quote:

He is a longshot to ever play in the league. But if he does manage to earn a regular spot it will probably mean that he is putting up points. Guys with his skill set and size don't tend to stick around long if they are not producing.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:40 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
He is a longshot to ever play in the league. But if he does manage to earn a regular spot it will probably mean that he is putting up points. Guys with his skill set and size don't tend to stick around long if they are not producing.
Depends. F.Bouillon had a pretty good run in the NHL and never was a big point producer, but he's probably an exception. The odds are against him, but LaLeggia does have an intriguing skill-set. Would be fantastic if he could develop into Campbell/Visnovsky/Timonen type puck-moving offensive defenseman.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Am I missing something here?

Old
10-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Depends. F.Bouillon had a pretty good run in the NHL and never was a big point producer, but he's probably an exception. The odds are against him, but LaLeggia does have an intriguing skill-set. Would be fantastic if he could develop into Campbell/Visnovsky/Timonen type puck-moving offensive defenseman.
Bouillon is a very different type of player. He was short but strong as a bull. He was also never viewed as an offensive guy. LaLeggia will make it to the NHL based on his offensive game or he will not play in the league.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Stoneman89

The hope is that he can be a Brian Rafalski type of clone. There is room for a small guy if you can play like that.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote