HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz joins the Oilers Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Everyone has the right to go read it, but please be careful with the anti Canuck fans comments here.
I wish they were half as diligent on their own board as we are here.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:57 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
So anybody see what the smart people at a Sport Chek or two did? They have jeserys that say "Shultz" on the back with the number 15. Isn't Nicks name spelled Schultz?
Lol, yeah it should be Schultz. I am still smiling at a Schultz-Schultz pairing

Old
07-05-2012, 09:50 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketful View Post
Lol, yeah it should be Schultz. I am still smiling at a Schultz-Schultz pairing
Schultz & Schultz, looking forward to their upcoming buddy cop sitcom.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Mr Hands

vCash: 174
have there been any oilers prospects that have had a similar skill set/upside to Schultz?

Old
07-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hands View Post
have there been any oilers prospects that have had a similar skill set/upside to Schultz?
Chorney back when we all had him ahead of Petry and 2nd in our prospect rankings behind Schremp.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Mr Hands

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Chorney back when we all had him ahead of Petry and 2nd in our prospect rankings behind Schremp.
what separates schultz from chorney? hockey sense? seems like their draft reports were pretty similar. smaller d-men with offensive ability and good skating.

Is schultz better defensively? i think stauffer said he was voted best defensive defensemen the last couple years in the WCHA

Old
07-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
what separates schultz from chorney? hockey sense? seems like their draft reports were pretty similar. smaller d-men with offensive ability and good skating.

Is schultz better defensively? i think stauffer said he was voted best defensive defensemen the last couple years in the WCHA
goal scoring would be one. Chorney had comparable number of assists but never the goals. Schultz to me would be a Chorney\Fedun + a killer shot.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Dabomb

I was watching some of Schultz's highlights on Youtube last night and its crazy the amount of goals he scores on his wrist shot, even from the point. Gonna be curious to see if he'll be able to beat NHL goalies with his point shot wrister.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:54 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
I was watching some of Schultz's highlights on Youtube last night and its crazy the amount of goals he scores on his wrist shot, even from the point. Gonna be curious to see if he'll be able to beat NHL goalies with his point shot wrister.
I think this type of scoring translates very well to the NHL game. No matter how good a goalie is, screened shots sneaking through are incredibly difficult to handle.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:55 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
A lot of times in the NHL it is more important to get the puck through the traffic on net than it is to have a hard slap shot from the point.

A good example of this is Karlsson this year, he was very good a getting the puck through and it resulted in a lot of points for him. I remember when the Oilers played the Senators this year Karlsson scored from a wrist shot from the top of the point that was not a very hard shot at all.

Old
07-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Petry was somewhat similar, but Schultz has a much higher upside.

Quote:
Not even close, Petry was ahead of Chorney from the first time that I saw him play. Chorney couldn't carry Schultz' jock. Petry was always the better prospect and I had him at #2 behind Schremp until Schremp's last year or two here

Comparing Schultz to Chorney is a very bad comp, to be fair not many here get to watch NCAA games, but I do and it's not even close.

07-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Booya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
I think this type of scoring translates very well to the NHL game. No matter how good a goalie is, screened shots sneaking through are incredibly difficult to handle.
This is what i'm hoping for when he's on the point. He seems to have pretty good accuracy with that wrister, and hopefully he can continue having success on the NHL level. If he can, i will be very happy, and we'll have a killer PP.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Dabomb

Gonna be nice to finally see a good offensive dman with a right handed shot accepting Nuge's cross ice passes on the PP. Krueger must be lickin his lips thinking of our PP combinations this year. Schultz also likes to join in on the rush too it seems.. I'm sure Krueger will have no problem giving him the green light to do this whenever theres an opportunity to do so. Can't wait for the season to start.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
A lot of times in the NHL it is more important to get the puck through the traffic on net than it is to have a hard slap shot from the point.

A good example of this is Karlsson this year, he was very good a getting the puck through and it resulted in a lot of points for him. I remember when the Oilers played the Senators this year Karlsson scored from a wrist shot from the top of the point that was not a very hard shot at all.
That doesnt necessarily mean very much, was Khabibulin in net?

Old
07-13-2012, 12:30 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

What Schultz really seems great at is creating angles from the blue line to get shots through.

Old
07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 747
Based upon a few reports he has been compared to what nick stajduhar could have been

Old
07-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Petry was somewhat similar, but Schultz has a much higher upside.

Not even close, Petry was ahead of Chorney from the first time that I saw him play. Chorney couldn't carry Schultz' jock. Petry was always the better prospect and I had him at #2 behind Schremp until Schremp's last year or two here

Comparing Schultz to Chorney is a very bad comp, to be fair not many here get to watch NCAA games, but I do and it's not even close.
No need to get excited. I was not talking about your expert analysis. HF rankings had Chorney ranked higher then Petry for a while and had him #2 on Edmonton's list. Possibly in 07 when Chorney had 31pts in 39 games or in 08-09 when Petry's production took a dive.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
No need to get excited. I was not talking about your expert analysis. HF rankings had Chorney ranked higher then Petry for a while and had him #2 on Edmonton's list. Possibly in 07 when Chorney had 31pts in 39 games or in 08-09 when Petry's production took a dive.
Petry's sophomore season was a statistical nightmare, that said having actually watched games and not just stat watch, you could see that while he had some struggles defensively (mostly laterally below the faceoff circles) he was far from the cause of his poor stats. He was a really good player on a REALLY bad team. I remember some people saying that Plante was > Petry at that point too.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:46 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Tell that to Souray, Foster, Stoll.....oh, right.

Old
07-13-2012, 05:20 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I am praying for a 1g 2a opening night against the Nucks

Old
07-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
I am praying for a 1g 2a opening night against the Nucks
That'd be pretty damn hilarious!

Old
07-14-2012, 06:43 PM
jbean

I'm hearing everything from Doughty upside to comparisons to Chorney when it comes down to Schultz. Defensemen are a mysterious lot, you never really know what you're going to get.

Old
07-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Schultz & Schultz, looking forward to their upcoming buddy cop sitcom.
One balding guy with a cowboy hat, one blonde guy with a flashy smile.

Most of their cases involve damsels in distress and smarmy con men.

Old
07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
cheesed-off*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
One balding guy with a cowboy hat, one blonde guy with a flashy smile.

Most of their cases involve damsels in distress and smarmy con men.

It was from this show that I learned a peanut is actually a bean. The truth !

Old
07-14-2012, 08:36 PM
cheesed-off*

Don't forget the Oil also had S. Smith and J. Smith in the past. How many teams can boast not just 1, but 2 pairs of d-men with the same name?

Not many, I'm willing to bet.

As a totally random aside, I just realized that d-men sounds very much like demon, and was suddenly a bit frightened.

Closed Thread