HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers sign Justin Schultz (Part II)

Old
06-30-2012, 10:21 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

vCash: 500
I love how everyone is so concerned with the Oilers' cap situation in 4-6 year.

Woe is me if young players ever develop into the situation where they deserve elite level paydays.

Seriously HF? What should we hope for, mediocre level play from our individual players so that we can have plenty of cap space left to..... to what exactly?

It's a blessing, this problem, to have...

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
The difference being the Oilers are asking a lot of their prospects to actually play regular NHL minutes. They need help on the back-end in a big way in my opinion. Today was a potentially great signing for the future, but not necessarily for now.
No we're not. Besides Schultz which defence prospect might crack the Oilers' roster in the fall? Klefbom? That's a reach imo. Guys like Petry aren't prospects anymore.

Gernat, Marincin and Musil are a ways away. As it should be.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
No we're not. Besides Schultz which defence prospect might crack the Oilers' roster in the fall? Klefbom? That's a reach imo. Guys like Petry aren't prospects anymore.

Gernat, Marincin and Musil are a ways away. As it should be.
So what does your top 7 d-men look like then. Do tell.

CommonMeans* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
If Edmonton finishes in the lottery next year then I don't know what to think. I really hope their tanking is over and they start playing some hockey.
You won't find an Oilers fan that disagrees.

Old
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
how does one define dynasty?

Petry - Klefbom
Gernat- Schultz
Marincin-Smid/Musil
What season are we talking about?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
So what does your top 7 d-men look like then. Do tell.
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Schultz
Whitney-Sutton
Peckham

Not an ideal defence (thus far) but outside of Justin Schultz... where are the prospects, exactly?

Old
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
When are the tampering charges being filed.

I now know why they didn't draft a NHL ready defenseman.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post

I would argue...

Fowler > Petry
Klefbom = Lindholm
Smid >> Sbisa
J Schultz > The rest of your roster dmen
Marincin > Vatanen
Bahahaha

ShadowDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
The Bored Man
Fire everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post

That was the plan until winning the draft lottery.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Great signing by the Oilers. Still dislike Schultz though.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Chargers View Post

You're absolutely right! It couldn't possibly be the fact Yakupov was the consensus first overall (8/10 scouts...9 if you don't believe Burke). It has to be the Oilers tampered...thankfully Tambo wasn't shopping the pick for a D-man or anything stupid like that.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
ok...I'm being serious. Whats wrong with that d core? It lacks a true number 1 but Carolina didnt have a true 1 when it won its cup either. All those players have really good upside and pro potential. Of coarse not all of them will pan out but I don't really see a ton of weakness there. Klefbom, Petry, Marincin and Musil are all good defensively and Smid is one of the better defensive dmen in the league. Not to mention Nick Schultz who is great defensively and only 29 years old. Please explain to me how Fowler, Lindholm, Sbisa and Vatanen are better?

I would argue...

Fowler > Petry
Klefbom = Lindholm
Smid >> Sbisa
J Schultz > The rest of your roster dmen
Marincin > Vatanen
You don't know anything about Vatanen, do you? He's comparable to Schultz.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I see only darkness

vCash: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmega View Post
If Edmonton finishes in the lottery next year then I don't know what to think. I really hope their tanking is over and they start playing some hockey.
We will know over the next few days.

If oilers stand pat with what they have so far we may be drafting in the 6-10 range. If we get one more solid d man and some toughness we should fight for 8-9-10 spot

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:39 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Bahahaha
do you agree or disagree? all i see in this thread is a lot of smack but no buddy is really analyzing the players or their potentials. I have stated my opinion on oiler d prospects a few times now and no one has replied with any intelligence or comments that will generate any real debate or discussion.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:40 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxFlamesFan View Post
yeah but carolina had a #1 goaltender..hardly the same thing. I don't see why you're comparing the them.

You're really overrating your d core.
The average quality of our D core was also much better- guys like Hedican and Wesley were excellent shutdown guys. Mike Commodore was the highest scoring D man (pitiful with one of the leagues best offenses), so there was no true number one, but it wasn't a randomly thrown together bunch of bottom pairing guys, which is more or less what the oilers have been trying.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

LMAO @ all of the Leaf and Nuck fans that were soooo certain that Schultz would sign for their teams. Friends with Gardiner eh? Parents are season ticket holders hmm...

"Who would want to play in Edmonton, such a garbage city"- Leaf fan

Schultz would. And with the cap going up, even if it does lower they will easily be able to afford everyone. Over the next 3 years bad contracts come off the books, year by year. Great job Oil, looking forward to this season.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:44 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
You don't know anything about Vatanen, do you? He's comparable to Schultz.
I do know a bit about Vatanen and I watched him play at the world juniors. He's an unbelievable skater with really high level offensive abilities but there is questions about his size and how he will translate to North American ice where he cant wheel so much. I think Marincin will translate better to the pro North American game. And I dont think Vatanen is as good as Schultz. I could end up being wrong of coarse and I wont even be pissed, I happen to like Vatanen as a player (not to mention I am a huge Finnish fan).

Old
06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
The average quality of our D core was also much better- guys like Hedican and Wesley were excellent shutdown guys. Mike Commodore was the highest scoring D man (pitiful with one of the leagues best offenses), so there was no true number one, but it wasn't a randomly thrown together bunch of bottom pairing guys, which is more or less what the oilers have been trying.
So Klefbom, Justin Schultz, Smid and Petry are bottom pairing guys? Those are the players I was talking about...

Old
06-30-2012, 10:47 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkspleen View Post
so with almost the entire league at his disposal he picked the team where he has to share his name?

I bet after the third week of being called "New Schultz" he will regret this.
he did it so he can use Nick as a Human 'Booing' Shield when he plays in Anaheim Vancouver and Toronto!! It was probably why he picked us over the Wild, bet they regret that trade now!

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
TylerSVT*

Lots of butt hurt Flames fans on CP right now.

Great signing for the Oilers, they are going to be a great team in a couple of years.

Solid Goalie and they could make the playoffs next year.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
I do know a bit about Vatanen and I watched him play at the world juniors. He's an unbelievable skater with really high level offensive abilities but there is questions about his size and how he will translate to North American ice where he cant wheel so much. I think Marincin will translate better to the pro North American game. And I dont think Vatanen is as good as Schultz. I could end up being wrong of coarse and I wont even be pissed, I happen to like Vatanen as a player (not to mention I am a huge Finnish fan).
Oh, I could go on...

For example, you have Smid vs. Sbisa. And then you say Schultz > anyone else on Anaheim's roster.

Smid would be compared vs. Beauchemin, and that's equal at worst, and more likely Beauchemin gets the edge. That would likely put Sbisa up against Schultz, where Sbisa has a clear edge at this point. That throws the rest of your argument completely out the window, and it goes to show how little you know about Anaheim's defense.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Viggo Mortensen
Gandalf the Grey

Because he pulled a dick move, I hope he busts big time. But still, Im glad he's going West

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Oh, I could go on...

For example, you have Smid vs. Sbisa. And then you say Schultz > anyone else on Anaheim's roster.

Smid would be compared vs. Beauchemin, and that's equal at worst, and more likely Beauchemin gets the edge. That would likely put Sbisa up against Schultz, where Sbisa has a clear edge at this point. That throws the rest of your argument completely out the window, and it goes to show how little you know about Anaheim's defense.
Smid was slow to develop. This season was his first great season. He positioned himself well, and for awhile he was leading the league in blocked shots. Guys like Smid are rare, it takes some gonads to block a slapper from the point by Shea Weber. Based on the quality of competition, the Smid-Petry pairing ranked in the top 15 of the league. Sbisa is great, but guys like Smid win cups. If he could find a balance between his offense and D, he could very well be the next Chara.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:00 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Oh, I could go on...

Ok I'll swap comparisons with you. For me personally 25 year old Smid gets the edge over 31 year old Beauchimen. Sbisa is ahead of J Schultz right now but I think Schultz has the higher upside. Free agency would not have been this interested in Luca Sbisa. Fowler I said had higher upside than Petry. But after that who does Anaheim have? I already stated my opinions on Vatanen, and a 5'9 dman needs to be better than him to be a legit top 4 guy. Toni Lydman, Sheldon Brookbank? Not happening man. Lindholm has good potential, but its early hence I set him equal to Klefbom. Marincin, Musil and Gernat provide Edmonton with more depth than Anaheim. And why do you keep assuming I know nothing about Anaheim? I have commented on your players, I havent seen you comment on Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil...

Old
06-30-2012, 11:02 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Smid was slow to develop. This season was his first great season. He positioned himself well, and for awhile he was leading the league in blocked shots. Guys like Smid are rare, it takes some gonads to block a slapper from the point by Shea Weber. Based on the quality of competition, the Smid-Petry pairing ranked in the top 15 of the league. Sbisa is great, but guys like Smid win cups. If he could find a balance between his offense and D, he could very well be the next Chara.
As someone who watches about 60 Oiler games I year I wholeheartedly disagree, Smid is good but he aint Chara good lol

Last edited by bsmith14: 06-30-2012 at 11:08 PM.