HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers sign Justin Schultz (Part II)

Old
06-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
In the last thread there were comments from certain players that they did not like how this went down. What do you think the chances are that if the owners asked to close this loophole in the upcoming negotiations, that the players would agree? 5%? 10%? 25%? 0%?
Interesting question. On one hand, it'd be giving up player rights, which is something that the union should obviously not be doing. On the other hand, the rights are somewhat unfairly granted to one very specific group and not to the others.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
In the last thread there were comments from certain players that they did not like how this went down. What do you think the chances are that if the owners asked to close this loophole in the upcoming negotiations, that the players would agree? 5%? 10%? 25%? 0%?
The question has to be "how are you going to close the loophole?"

Should Schultz have gone back into the draft? Does Anaheim get compensation if he does go back into the draft? What form of compensation do they get?

The NHLPA would want answers to those questions before voting on it.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
8inblack

Send a message via AIM to 8inblack Send a message via Yahoo to 8inblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Are we talking about the same Beauchemin that floundered in Toronto?
If that's how you want to assess his time in Toronto. Fans are putting pressure on our GM to strip Getzlaf of the C and give it to Beauchemin. Visnovsky and Lydman our amazing D-men from the year before, FLOUNDERED this year. Beauchemin picked us every bit of that slack. Beauchemin will retire a duck. The organazation loves this guy.

8inblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:47 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesler2Kesler View Post
Jonathan Huberdeau, Sven Bartschi and a few other prospects might have a word to say about that.

...Damn I'm pumped for the Calder race next year.
Sorry. Yakupov's future success is already being attributed to the powerplay. Even more so with Schultz.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Sorry. Yakupov's future success is already being attributed to the powerplay. Even more so with Schultz.
Don't get me wrong. If I were a betting man, all of my money would be on Yakupov, but you can not totally discredit the other amazing prospects that will be playing in 12-13.

Kesler2Kesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread (but I did do an unsuccessful search). Some were wondering about the "mystery team" among those Mr. Schultz considered. It was, apparently, The Tampa Bay Lightning.

I had mentioned it as a possibility in one of the previous threads, but this is the first I've seen confirming it.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
The question has to be "how are you going to close the loophole?"

Should Schultz have gone back into the draft? Does Anaheim get compensation if he does go back into the draft? What form of compensation do they get?

The NHLPA would want answers to those questions before voting on it.
Making players in those circumstances RFAs rather than UFAs seems like a reasonable solution

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:01 PM
archangel archangel

vCash: 50
My prediction is that within a year, he will regret not signing in Vancouver

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Making players in those circumstances RFAs rather than UFAs seems like a reasonable solution
I prefer that to a compensatory pick. Not only because compensatory is a hard word to spell, but it is somewhat crazy to have a team get a compensatory pick 5 years later. How many draft picks are still with a team in 5 years?

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard armus View Post
Be fair, give him two. Edmonton's quartet needs a little while to develop.

Old
06-30-2012, 11:17 PM
SDig14

Quote:
What happens if he struggles for a month to start his NHL career? I doubt Vancouver would let him grow, and he'd likely be in the AHL.

He could easily regret any decision if he doesn't transition well right away.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Sillinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
how does one define dynasty?

Petry - Klefbom
Gernat- Schultz
Marincin-Smid/Musil
A series of rulers from the same family.
Don't thank me, thank Merriam-Webster.

Sillinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
This conversation got started when lakai brought up the word "dynasty" in relationship to Edmonton's blue line.
Well, he is the same poster who firmly believes Gagner can be an 80 pt player. In other words, it's a conversation that should not have started.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Lion

Its a hockey you know. Its only game, why you heff to be mad?

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Crabapple

Quote:
My prediction is that in 2 years, he'll sign an extension with the Oilers. Cheers

Crabapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
My prediction is that in 2 years, he'll sign an extension with the Oilers. Cheers
My prediction is that once he establishes his value with Edmonton in 2 years as a legit top 4 D, he signs with his home town

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Kesler2Kesler
Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
My prediction is that once he establishes his value with Edmonton in 2 years as a legit top 4 D, he signs with his home town
He'll be an RFA, no?

Old
06-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Peter Griffin

I know it's not likely to happen, but it would be kind of funny if over the next two years he ***** the bed to the point where the Oilers don't qualify him making him an UFA again but this time no teams want him.

But really, I don't blame him for choosing Edmonton. They give him the easiest chance to be a top 4 d-man and cash in when his contract is up in two years.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:51 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
He'll be an RFA, no?
I believe this is true. He won't be old enough or that the years of NHL experience to become a UFA after this contract.

I feel for Duck fans who lost a great asset for nothing. But that doesn't reduce my happiness in the slightest that we finally signed a highly sought after UFA. Very pleased to have Schultz on the team.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:54 PM
SDig14

Quote:
He'll be an RFA, no?
Yes, he will be an RFA, making the above post look pretty unlikely.

Only way he would be a UFA again, like someone else mentioned, is if he was really bad and he wasn't qualified.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:55 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillinger View Post
A series of rulers from the same family.
Don't thank me, thank Merriam-Webster.

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:56 PM
oilers92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
jesus u think hes going to be that bad he has to lace them up for kelowna you must be happy the nucks didnt sign him

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

edmontons defense will be fine if the team plays a checking style to help it out and the goaltending is decent and they all stay healthy... but these things wont happen

on the other hand... the team is going to score a ton of goals. I would guess it will be a probably playoff team and an easy first round casualty but that is progress. Most fans will probably take it.

This signing is just HUGE for the future... not so much the present. Schultz will get top 4 icetime because Im sure that is what was promised. And from all accounts he is already one of Edmontons top 4 dmen anyhow

Whitney if he gets healthy... is Edmontons best dman and the forgotten man in the mix. Sadly I dont have much faith he will be healthy. If he cant turn on his bum ankle then he probably will end up being a healthy scratch. It is so sad cause he was one of my favorite players before he got so crippled. He himself has said he will never be healthy again so not much hope to expect for a turnaround.

Petry and Smid played decent together last year. There isnt much reason not to play them together again this year. On most teams they would be your 4-5 type guys so Edmonton needs to upgrade over them in the top pairing before they become serious playoff contenders but these are two guys that are legitmate talented NHL dmen that would be able to make any team in the NHL... just not as 20+ min per night guys

Nick Schultz is obviously a warrior vet type that talent wise is a 5-6 type guy even on a bad team like Edmonton. If Whitney is hurt then Schultz is probably a 3-4 guy on this depth chart. In a real good checking system with good goaltending behind him.... he could probably fake his way through a season playing 3-4 mins though.

Sutton brings a shot... some size... some willingness to take stupid penalties... he wouldnt play on a good team but he isnt the worst dman in the NHL. His job is going to be taken by one of the kids in the very near future but with some luck he will add some value to the team this year. I am guessing if anyone from the top 6 becomes a healthy scratch it would be Whitney and only because I just dont think he is going to be able to turn enough to be able to play defense at the NHL speed.

Cory Potter actually had enough good moments last year that another kick at the can could see him earn a regular 5-6 depth spot this year too. If not, I expect to see him as first man off the bench

Colton Teubert is the most ready prospect around to fight for a spot. If Edmonton can move Whitneyès contract then Teubert would probably draw into the lineup I guess ahead of Potter. Otherwise a season of experience at the AHL and use as trade bait seems likely. His upper end ceiling isnt high enough to make him a key part of the future.

I bet Theo Peckham gets signed cause there are always so many injuries with this team. Peckham might end up lost on waivers at some point but its not a critical loss if it happens. He is just a tough guy and young small teams can always use a tough guy kicking around.

It sure isnt an amazing stud defense but it would look way better with the right team committement supporting it.

Instead the Oilers are going to roll out a top line where Hopkins and Eberle are going to score 70 goals between them with whoever gets stuck on the offwing.

Hall will be alllowed to power a second line and probably will inherit Yakubov and Gagner as his linemates. Yakubov is an unproven kid but oodles of talent... Gagner has tons to prove but is also on a last chance. That does sometimes motivate a kid and he sure as hell has talent to play with here.

Horcorff and Hemsky are horribly overpaid to be third liners but this is what you get when you draft three first rounders overall to play at the top of your lineup on entry level deals... I guess if Paarjarvi isnt traded he will play the off wing and no one can say he wont have some serious talent to play with. It is probably sink or swim time for this younger like Gagner.

There isnt a team in the NHL other then maybe Pittsburgh that can run and gun with this group of Oiler forwards... but then likely no one will try. These kids are going to face a ton of trap hockey and how much they succeed will depend on how well they and the coaching staff can battle through it.

Edmonton should try to add more grit into their top 9. If Shane Doan is willing to come home then he might be the best available UFA to come in and play with the top duo. Ultimately I dont think Gagner is going to be able to get the job done on the second line... so eventually Edmonton will have to address this problem from outside the organization.

Hemsky is probably going to be a cancer on the team if he only gets third line mins and no pp time. Sooner or later he should be dealt for a legitimate third line guy with some grit to his game. Alot of teams that need a Hemsky on the top line would gladly give up a decent third liner for him so that shouldnt be a problem.

cap issues will be a problem 4-5-6 years down the line but obviously not all the kids will still be around at that time. Look at what colorado-quebec did to build their winner. They drafted sundin-lindros-nolan first first first and none were still with the team when it won its cup... instead clark and forsberg and ozolinsh were picked up among others.

any of hall or yakubov or hopkins or eberle could be dealt in the next few years... but the good news for edmonton fans is they will all have megaloads of trade value at the time of the deal... and whatever comes back will just simply be something that makes more sense to get the team over the top

ultimately a team doesnt need 5 forwards as skilled as eberle and hall and yakubov and hopkins and hemsky all on the same team... and definitely not when they also try to find room for paajarvi and gagner and horcorff too. you just cant have this much undersized skill on one team and expect to be a serious contender for a cup... and you are going to get murdered on the cap cause guys that score points get paid.

defense whens championships but goal scoers win big paychecks.

so some of the talent up front will be dealt... and some improvements will happen on the blueline when that happens... some improvements will happen for the third and fourth line checking ability... its going to be a work in progress as things proceed.

great signing today though... great pick i guess... not the one i would have made but a great pick never the less... great picks with hall and hopkins... you cant fault the fundamental talent at the core of this build.

going to be exciting to watch these kids play anyhow for those that like 5-4 games

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:59 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Poetic justice after the Pronger ordeal.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 11:59 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Jonathan Huberdeau, Sven Bartschi and a few other prospects might have a word to say about that.

...Damn I'm pumped for the Calder race next year.
Tarasenko is another favourite.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote