HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part IX)

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2012, 01:38 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
If we don't sign anyone else how about these lines:

Ladd Little Wheeler
Kane Oli Burmi
Poni Slates Antro
Mach/Klingberg Cormier Thor
Mitts

The reason I like this cause it gives us 4 good centre ice men. We would start with the puck a lot more as we would win more draws than last year.
Burmi started off hot last year and I think he will have a break out year with top six minutes. Slater centering the third line will give him more minutes and the fourth line can play the 6-8 minutes per game and be energy guys.
I also think the TNSE will bring Scheifele along slowly and he'll be back in Junior even though Id love to see him with the big club. The World Juniors could be a great experience for him as he'd be a leader now and probably get an "A".
What do you think of these lines?

Old
07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Not sure where you thought I didn't feel that he shouldn't be fighting for a spot? He clearly is thus far in fact - by spending last season working on his play in all three zones and by taking the Jets' training staff's nutritional and workout advice to heart.

I've also always been in favour of re-signing Wellwood and have not once ever advocated bringing in Semin; in fact, I've posted against it; I guess you agree with me.
I guess we do agree then

Old
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
fitzy0019

no one has really mentioned the possibility of scheifele not playing in either Barrie or Winnipeg. we all know the jets staff/ownerships belief that the ahl is the elite grooming league for nhl talent. a year in st johns is extremely possible, and imo, most likely. even if for only part of a season. i cant wait to see how this fall unfolds, expecially with the other young talent that we know is creeping up on the jets line up. injuries and poor play by vets, could ultimately be the deciding factor in whether scheif, postma etc stick this time around

Old
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
I like those lines, and also think that Scheifele would be better suited with Ladd and Little and Kane could play with Oli and Wheeler. I think Cormier and Klingberg will play their fair share of games this year once the injuries factor in. Should be a great camp!
Whether it be this season , or next I see Scheifele fitting best with Kane ( and Evander with him ) . Scheifele has that hockey sense , the vision and is more prone to set up a play than shoot , that benefits both Scheifele and Kane imo. Nice to have rh playmaking C paired with a goal seeking LW.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:43 PM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy0019 View Post
no one has really mentioned the possibility of scheifele not playing in either Barrie or Winnipeg. we all know the jets staff/ownerships belief that the ahl is the elite grooming league for nhl talent. a year in st johns is extremely possible, and imo, most likely. even if for only part of a season. i cant wait to see how this fall unfolds, expecially with the other young talent that we know is creeping up on the jets line up. injuries and poor play by vets, could ultimately be the deciding factor in whether scheif, postma etc stick this time around

He is not eligible to play in the AHL this year , unless it is after his playoffs as was the case last season.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy0019 View Post
no one has really mentioned the possibility of scheifele not playing in either Barrie or Winnipeg.
You haven't really been following the board here that closely I guess for the past year. A good part of the running dialog here regarding that specific player, as espoused by numerous posters, was that Scheifele would simply be best served by being sent back to junior this coming season, regardless. I disagree. If he earns a spot then it should be his, especially given his conditioning improvements since last season.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
You haven't really been following the board here that closely I guess for the past year. A good part of the running dialog here regarding that specific player, as espoused by numerous posters, was that Scheifele would simply be best served by being sent back to junior this coming season, regardless. I disagree. If he earns a spot then it should be his, especially given his conditioning improvements since last season.
I think fitzy0019 was trying to make the case to have Scheifele play in the AHL this year. But as Jetkarma pointed out, that is not an option.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Whether it be this season , or next I see Scheifele fitting best with Kane ( and Evander with him ) . Scheifele has that hockey sense , the vision and is more prone to set up a play than shoot , that benefits both Scheifele and Kane imo. Nice to have rh playmaking C paired with a goal seeking LW.
I agree with you that with their individual talents (Scheifele the passer and Kane the shooter), that the two of them could fit well together.

When I mentioned putting Scheifele with Ladd and Little and not Kane, I was thinking more about the defensive side of things, and giving Scheifle two vets, instead of putting Kane and Scheifele together and hoping they can handle both ends of the ice.

That was my thinking anyway.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I think fitzy0019 was trying to make the case to have Scheifele play in the AHL this year. But as Jetkarma pointed out, that is not an option.
I was only addressing the line I quoted. As stated, a good portion of the posters here had Scheifele targeted as back to junior regardless this coming season, which runs counter to the claim that "no one has really mentioned the possibility of Scheifele not playing in either Barrie or Winnipeg". They have mentioned it in fact, in dozens and dozens of posts on our team board. No biggie either way, was just meant as an offhand remark by myself and likely by the other poster as well.

Old
07-10-2012, 02:41 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Just as a helper for those taking in mind "pass-first" and "shoot-first" players:
Name GP SHOTS ATOI SH%
Kane 74 287 17:31 - 10.5
Ladd 82 265 19:34 - 10.6
Wheel 80 223 19:05 - 8.2
Joki 82 223 18:58 -
Little 74 162 20:13 - 14.8
Poni 82 156 14:45 -
Burmi 76 123 16:40 - 10.6
Antro 69 95 16:31 - 15.8
Welly 77 93 14:57 - 19.4

"Shoot-first" Jokinen and "Pass-first" Wheeler look pretty similar don't you think....

Last edited by garret9: 07-10-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old
07-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Just as a helper for those taking in mind "pass-first" and "shoot-first" players:
Name GP SHOTS ATOI
Kane 74 287 17:31
Ladd 82 265 19:34
Wheel 80 223 19:05
Joki 82 223 18:58
Little 74 162 20:13
Poni 82 156 14:45
Burmi 76 123 16:40
Antro 69 95 16:31
Welly 77 93 14:57

"Shoot-first" Jokinen and "Pass-first" Wheeler look pretty similar don't you think....
Nice.

Little, Burmi, and Antro sure need to shoot a lot more.

I have no hope that Wellwood will increase his shot totals. He's pass in the crease if he could.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:08 PM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Name GP SHOTS ATOI
Kane 74 287 17:31
Ladd 82 265 19:34
Wheel 80 223 19:05
Joki 82 223 18:58
Little 74 162 20:13
Poni 82 156 14:45
Burmi 76 123 16:40
Antro 69 95 16:31
Welly 77 93 14:57

Nice to view those stats but it doesn't list passes ... so while 2 players may have the same amount of shots , that doesn't tell us that one isn't more of a pass first player. In this case they may be similar but from my observations Jokinen is not a true set up C , which is fine of course , I am not all complaining about the signing.

Old
07-10-2012, 03:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Nice to view those stats but it doesn't list passes ... so while 2 players may have the same amount of shots , that doesn't tell us that one isn't more of a pass first player. In this case they may be similar but from my observations Jokinen is not a true set up C , which is fine of course , I am not all complaining about the signing.
I think that most observations come with some bit of biasism from his previous years. I think he has changed, and you can see it has happened slowly over a learning curve...
Last year he had a good amount of 1st to 2nd assist ratio and a lot of 1-timer setups to Iginla. Illegal curve did an article on it; definately worth checking out. http://illegalcurve.com/2012/07/09/w...ts-in-2011-12/ Plus the similar TOI and games would make it more likely that the oppertunities to shoot would be similar.

But we're starting to track OT (my fault really just thought be nice for figuring out lines, which helps determine holes needed filling with FA/trades).

Old
07-10-2012, 04:27 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

In regards to Scheifele playing with the Jets this upcoming season I think there are a few factors in play. will we make any more moves before the beginning of the season that might add to the competitive landscape, will there be a prolonged work stoppage, how will other prospects like atelegin play at etc.

If Mark shows up to camp and earns a quality spot cleanly then I would be disappointed if he was sent down. every prospect will be on their own timetable and if Mark kicks the door down then so be it. that being said I believe he does have room to grow in the OHL still. As Ducky said Mark dominated at times last year but he didn't dominate night in night out (like Telegin did) and that is the next level. also he could have a better run in the WJC. He could have more of an impact on the Ice Caps in a playoff run. He could grow and mature more and improve his skating. there are opportunities to continue to grow still so it wouldn't be a total write off IMHO.

also there is the very real potential lock out looming and that is a big factor. "if" the NHL stays locked out until Christmas (TC you were probably correct and I think I was wrong ) and Mark has a nice run in Barrie and the world juniors do you blow off a year of eligibility for an NHL season that begins in January? Ok I know I am getting ahead of myself but just throwing it out there.

either way I love Mark's attitude and skill set and he will make the best out of whatever way this thing breaks.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Sounds like Stapleton may be off to the KHL.

Quote:
Evgeny Belousov ‏@AliGoWeed
According to http://sport.tut.by/news/hockey/298890.html @hc_dinamominsk reached an agreement with former @NHLJets Tim Stapleton

Old
07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Sounds like Stapleton may be off to the KHL.
Hope he got some good cash, i enjoyed watching him play last year. Good luck Stapes.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:47 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
Hope he got some good cash, i enjoyed watching him play last year. Good luck Stapes.
My guess is Tim would have preferred to be our 13th forward but you can't wait forever. He will make (estimated double) what he would have made hear and he will avoid the lockout. that being said the KHL is shady and there are strong stories of owners stiffing pay checks to key players if they have scoring slumps etc.

Tim was one of the pleasant suprises last year here and I wish the Stapler all the best.

Old
07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
My guess is Tim would have preferred to be our 13th forward but you can't wait forever. He will make (estimated double) what he would have made hear and he will avoid the lockout. that being said the KHL is shady and there are strong stories of owners stiffing pay checks to key players if they have scoring slumps etc.

Tim was one of the pleasant suprises last year here and I wish the Stapler all the best.
Good for him. Dinamo Minsk is a good organization there. Say what you what about the country (NOT gonna bring politics into this), but they love their hockey and that team is treated very well. They have many imports on the roster and two Canadians (Assistant Captain and all-time team leading point getter Geoff Platt and entering 2nd year starting goaltender Kevin Lalande) have been given Belarussian citizenship. Players are treated well there, I would not expect anything stupid to happen to Stapler there.

KHL has a few bad apples that spoil it, but it really really gets a bad rap here. KHL is by far the 2nd best league in the world, there is great talent there and it's a fun game to watch. Most places treat there players very well. I know Nigel Dawes loved it in Barys Astana in Kazakhstan, signed on for another year with them.

Anyways, good for Stapleton, he will be a top 6 player there probably, his game is much better suited to the big ice (see his dominance in Finland), he will do well there.

Old
07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
In regards to Scheifele playing with the Jets this upcoming season I think there are a few factors in play. will we make any more moves before the beginning of the season that might add to the competitive landscape, will there be a prolonged work stoppage, how will other prospects like atelegin play at etc.

If Mark shows up to camp and earns a quality spot cleanly then I would be disappointed if he was sent down. every prospect will be on their own timetable and if Mark kicks the door down then so be it. that being said I believe he does have room to grow in the OHL still. As Ducky said Mark dominated at times last year but he didn't dominate night in night out (like Telegin did) and that is the next level. also he could have a better run in the WJC. He could have more of an impact on the Ice Caps in a playoff run. He could grow and mature more and improve his skating. there are opportunities to continue to grow still so it wouldn't be a total write off IMHO.

also there is the very real potential lock out looming and that is a big factor. "if" the NHL stays locked out until Christmas (TC you were probably correct and I think I was wrong ) and Mark has a nice run in Barrie and the world juniors do you blow off a year of eligibility for an NHL season that begins in January? Ok I know I am getting ahead of myself but just throwing it out there.

either way I love Mark's attitude and skill set and he will make the best out of whatever way this thing breaks.
Off topic - and still hope I am wrong, but I think we all have to prepare ourselves for a lockout...

I will arguably be the happiest dude in the workd if it doesn't happen, want to go on a couple of Jets "roadtrips" this year

Old
07-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Flair Hay

Seeing tht illegal curve write up makes me think that a right handed sniper is almost a necessity for Jokinen based on how he creates his offense.

Bryan Little has probably the best right handed shot on the team, but he's more of a quick release shooter than a power one time guy.

Makes me think we might need to sign another winger for him. SEMIN?? Haha jk

Old
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Seeing tht illegal curve write up makes me think that a right handed sniper is almost a necessity for Jokinen based on how he creates his offense.

Bryan Little has probably the best right handed shot on the team, but he's more of a quick release shooter than a power one time guy.

Makes me think we might need to sign another winger for him. SEMIN?? Haha jk
I'm not so sure about the requirement of a rightie sniper. I wish IC did a slightly larger sample size to be honest.

That's how he played on Calgary with the teammates he was given. He could very well be feeding Buff those one timers on this squad. Or he could end up playing a totally different style on this squad. Who knows?

Old
07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Good for him. Dinamo Minsk is a good organization there. Say what you what about the country (NOT gonna bring politics into this), but they love their hockey and that team is treated very well. They have many imports on the roster and two Canadians (Assistant Captain and all-time team leading point getter Geoff Platt and entering 2nd year starting goaltender Kevin Lalande) have been given Belarussian citizenship. Players are treated well there, I would not expect anything stupid to happen to Stapler there.

KHL has a few bad apples that spoil it, but it really really gets a bad rap here. KHL is by far the 2nd best league in the world, there is great talent there and it's a fun game to watch. Most places treat there players very well. I know Nigel Dawes loved it in Barys Astana in Kazakhstan, signed on for another year with them.

Anyways, good for Stapleton, he will be a top 6 player there probably, his game is much better suited to the big ice (see his dominance in Finland), he will do well there.
You are right Holden this is a great team to play for and they have an amazing new arena as well. as far as I know this was plan B after the Jets but a very good place to play in the KHL.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:14 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Off topic - and still hope I am wrong, but I think we all have to prepare ourselves for a lockout...

I will arguably be the happiest dude in the workd if it doesn't happen, want to go on a couple of Jets "roadtrips" this year
Your were right and I was wrong TC (I am sure this is one you didn't want to win ). everything I am hearing from the players side is strongly suggesting lock out until Christmas (estimate of coarse).

Old
07-10-2012, 08:39 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1131
I appreciate some of the sentiment towards Timmy and Wellwood over the last couple of days as they were able to fill some holes for the Jets last year. But neither one was ever going to be part of the long term plans for a Jet team trying to get bigger and tougher to play against (and Wellwood might yet sign but doubtful). Pretty much everyone who has been drafted or signed this off season is 6, 2" + or built like a brick **** house. It's not like Chevy kept his intentions a secret.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:17 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Been away for a couple of weeks on vacation, noticed the weakest link on the GST line has moved on, shouldn't be too hard to fill his spot, either Mach or Max will do the job.

Closed Thread