HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part IX)

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2012, 01:52 PM
tbcwpg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
This is what I don't get, he got to play for a few games during the IceCaps playoff push once his OHL season was over, is there a certain game limit?
When a player's CHL season is over, he can sign on an ATO basis.

Old
08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Playing extra seasons in junior didn't hurt Jordan Eberle. It could be good for Scheifele. Let him dominate juniors, fight for a WJ Gold, then make the Jets as a contributer, not just in a sheltered role.

Old
08-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Can't think of too many players that have been hurt by spending more time in junior. Guys that were rushed, on the other hand...

Old
08-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
When a player's CHL season is over, he can sign on an ATO basis.
It was my understanding that if they're already under contract by the Jets I believe they don't need an ATO, and can simply be assigned(though I know there's someone here who knows waaaay more about contracts and what not then I do, if it's you then i apologise for questioning your wisdom ).

he 19 year old eligibility is an agreement between the NHL, CHL and AHL (if I"m not mistaken) in an attempt to protect the interests of the CHL by not "stealing" all of their best talent for the AHL at the age of 18.

The idea is this allows the CHL to remain viable, as if there was a constant drain of every 18 yearold star, the quality of the league and product would suffer. Being able to showcase "the stars of tomorrow" that have already been drafted makes the CHL a much more marketable product.

Old
08-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Don't they burn a year of ELC if he plays in the AHL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Yes but, because of his age, he won't be AHL elgible until 2013-2014 season.
Actually no, they would not. As Grind has stated below, due to the NHL-CHL agreement, they cannot send Scheifele down to the AHL. But if a player is drafted out of Europe/Junior A, they can be signed and assigned the AHL at 18 or 19. If that were to happen, (such as Slava Voynov for example), playing in the AHL does NOT burn years of the ELC, so long as they still play less than 10 games at the NHL level. That's why Voynov will be playing his 5th season under his ELC this upcoming year, since he played in the AHL at 18 and 19, bumping the contract back each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
It was my understanding that if they're already under contract by the Jets I believe they don't need an ATO, and can simply be assigned(though I know there's someone here who knows waaaay more about contracts and what not then I do, if it's you then i apologise for questioning your wisdom ).

he 19 year old eligibility is an agreement between the NHL, CHL and AHL (if I"m not mistaken) in an attempt to protect the interests of the CHL by not "stealing" all of their best talent for the AHL at the age of 18.

The idea is this allows the CHL to remain viable, as if there was a constant drain of every 18 yearold star, the quality of the league and product would suffer. Being able to showcase "the stars of tomorrow" that have already been drafted makes the CHL a much more marketable product.
You nailed it, that's exactly what it is going with the contract and reasoning.

Old
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Actually no, they would not. As Grind has stated below, due to the NHL-CHL agreement, they cannot send Scheifele down to the AHL. But if a player is drafted out of Europe/Junior A, they can be signed and assigned the AHL at 18 or 19. If that were to happen, (such as Slava Voynov for example), playing in the AHL does NOT burn years of the ELC, so long as they still play less than 10 games at the NHL level. That's why Voynov will be playing his 5th season under his ELC this upcoming year, since he played in the AHL at 18 and 19, bumping the contract back each year.

You nailed it, that's exactly what it is going with the contract and reasoning.
My bad. Sorry should of said age with being a CHL player under certain games played.

CBA is by far my weakest area in hockey!!

Old
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

Kosmachuk seems like such a great kid...

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...7573168f4a57d6

Old
08-16-2012, 11:53 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Thanks Gump. It's been great.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:46 AM
JetsHomer

So with no more moves, what do you guys think our line ups look like going into the season?

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Burmistrov - Little
Poni - Antropov - Wellwood
Machacek - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma
Clitsome

Pavelec
Montoya

Old
08-20-2012, 04:59 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
So with no more moves, what do you guys think our line ups look like going into the season?

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Burmistrov - Little
Miettinen

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma
Clitsome

Pavelec
Montoya
If there are no surprises at training camp and in pre-season (I'm looking at you Cormier, Telegin, Redmond, Klingber, Postma and Scheifele) it will be either:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen- Burmistrov
Miettinen

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Clitsome
Postma

Pavelec
Montoya

OR

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen- Wellwood
Poni - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Clitsome
Postma

Pavelec
Montoya

Old
08-20-2012, 11:58 AM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
I had a feeling Jokinen was going to be our first line center, non?

Old
08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Maybe.

Depends how Noel wants to run his lines. The top 2 lines may end up with pretty similar total minutes. I expects Ladd and Little to get a little more PK time, while Wheeler, Kane and Olli will probably get a good chunk of PP minutes.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
the team is likely to role with a balanced top 9 to spread out scoring. WIth the Chemistry already apparent between ladds Little Wheeler, it makes sense for Joki to line up With Kane and player X (burmi/welly)

as both lines will likely get very similar ice-time, essentially kane joki x could be the first line and LLW could be the second.

Old
08-20-2012, 12:34 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
the team is likely to role with a balanced top 9 to spread out scoring. WIth the Chemistry already apparent between ladds Little Wheeler, it makes sense for Joki to line up With Kane and player X (burmi/welly)

as both lines will likely get very similar ice-time, essentially kane joki x could be the first line and LLW could be the second.
Probably (as has been mentioned before) more along the lines of a 1a and 1b, a 3rd line (yay! A real 3rd line! ), and a 4th line. Usage of those two 1st lines will vary based on circumstances, opposing teams, line-matching, etc, IMHO.

Old
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

My take:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma

Pavelec
Montoya

Old
08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Maybe.

Depends how Noel wants to run his lines. The top 2 lines may end up with pretty similar total minutes. I expects Ladd and Little to get a little more PK time, while Wheeler, Kane and Olli will probably get a good chunk of PP minutes.
Quote:

I suppose he will be tinkering around with the lines a bit. For instance' Ladd-Little-wheels do have chemistry and did a lot of heavy lifting for us but if Joki ends up working better with them, then he might end up moving there. Agree with both of you essentially, though. I do feel Joki and Wellwood would go very nicely together. It would be nice to see him play with Ladd and wheeler too, but makes more sense to go second line now that I think about it a bit deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Probably (as has been mentioned before) more along the lines of a 1a and 1b, a 3rd line (yay! A real 3rd line! ), and a 4th line. Usage of those two 1st lines will vary based on circumstances, opposing teams, line-matching, etc, IMHO.
The fact we'll finally have a real third line cannot be overlooked at all

I jibe with the 1a and 1b thought. I missed this discussion x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
My take:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma

Pavelec
Montoya
Seems good to me! Poni will be a big plus on third line especially if Burmy gets C

Old
08-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post

Sounds like Scheifele isn't the only one whose go-to statement is "you'know..."

Old
08-21-2012, 10:43 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Sounds like Scheifele isn't the only one whose go-to statement is "you'know..."

These guys get so excited during the interviews, that they forget to pause, and that it's OK to pause. I've trained myself over time to not use "um", and "you know" during public speaking, but it's not something that's natural, IMHO. That said, it's great to see how excited these guys are. I don't really care one way or the other if they're not the best public speakers - I just enjoy their genuine enthusiasm.

One prospect that has really impressed me in his interviews is Sutter - he's really well spoken for such a young kid.

Old
08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post

These guys get so excited during the interviews, that they forget to pause, and that it's OK to pause. I've trained myself over time to not use "um", and "you know" during public speaking, but it's not something that's natural, IMHO. That said, it's great to see how excited these guys are. I don't really care one way or the other if they're not the best public speakers - I just enjoy their genuine enthusiasm.

One prospect that has really impressed me in his interviews is Sutter - he's really well spoken for such a young kid.
Was going to mention that, I'm very excited for him. Really like his interviews, seems like a really level young man, really looking forward to the day he cracks the roster.

As for the above, I know. A lot of the vet players still use the 'Umm"/"you Know?" crutch, it certainly isn't something that comes easy. I too have managed to train myself away from it but only after a lot of practice (essentially beating myself up and taking note of every time I DID do it in an effort to guilt me into submission).

Even for an excited young guy, I thought Kosmachuk really interviewed well, especially in a number of other interviews I've seen with him (i think they were from the development camp). Really like both him and Sutter.

Old
08-21-2012, 12:27 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Really starting to like the top three draft picks this year more and more. Kosmachuk seems like he might end up being a bit of a steal in a year or two and Sutter is, well, a Sutter. Trouba still worries me a bit, just based on his reactions to being drafted. Didn't seem all that excited that he was a Jet, almost had the feeling he'd rather be somewhere else to be honest.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:06 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Really starting to like the top three draft picks this year more and more. Kosmachuk seems like he might end up being a bit of a steal in a year or two and Sutter is, well, a Sutter. Trouba still worries me a bit, just based on his reactions to being drafted. Didn't seem all that excited that he was a Jet, almost had the feeling he'd rather be somewhere else to be honest.
This is exactly what I said would happen if the Jets drafted an American like Trouba. I had a discussion with a few people on this board on the exact same topic and they seemed to think my comments didn't have any merit. Proof will be in the pudding when Buff and Trouba's contracts come up for renewal. $5 says they head south...

Old
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
This is exactly what I said would happen if the Jets drafted an American like Trouba. I had a discussion with a few people on this board on the exact same topic and they seemed to think my comments didn't have any merit. Proof will be in the pudding when Buff and Trouba's contracts come up for renewal. $5 says they head south...
so should we only draft/sign players from manitoba?

Yes it could be an issue that they want to go home, but that is something that you A) don't have control over and B ) run the risk with any player not from your home town.

can you see the barriers in acting on that hunch? You would arbitrarily limit the pool of players you can draft to such a small amount that your handicapping yourself far worse then if you had a player that was good for a few years and then left.

Besides you can always trade his rights later if it turns out he is going to run away home.

Being afraid of this is like being being afraid of flying.

Yes there is a risk, but it is so small that it's not worth acting on. Those that do act upon it are considered strange/abnormal, as they suffer through long and painful car-train-boat rides instead of using the most efficient form of transportation available.

So yes, I would much rather we draft "RISKY" Americans that are highly touted, then settling for a lesser player because "he's a local boy". Thank god you are not in charge of this hockey team.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
EpicGingy

Why does everybody always point to Winnipeg as the place where Americans don't want go go?

MAYBE Trouba is like that, but I doubt it. Couldn't somebody drafted to Calgary or Edmonton not want to play there, too? I'm sure if he likes the atmosphere, or if we're a winning team by the time he becomes a RFA (whenever that is under the new CBA), he'd be willing to resign despite whatever he may or may not like about the city.

Old
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I don't subscribe to this crap at all. Bogosian is American, Slater is American and they are both very happy to be here. Kane is Canadian, and there have been constant (unfounded) rumors he doesn't want to be here.

Drafting a player, based on nationality and a stereotype is ridiculous. Bad organizations do that. TN is not a bad org.

08-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I don't subscribe to this crap at all. Bogosian is American, Slater is American and they are both very happy to be here. Kane is Canadian, and there have been constant (unfounded) rumors he doesn't want to be here.

Drafting a player, based on nationality and a stereotype is ridiculous. Bad organizations do that. TN is not a bad org.
This, a thousand times this.

Closed Thread