HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part IX)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-13-2012, 01:52 PM
  #676
tbcwpg
Registered User
 
tbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
This is what I don't get, he got to play for a few games during the IceCaps playoff push once his OHL season was over, is there a certain game limit?
When a player's CHL season is over, he can sign on an ATO basis.

tbcwpg is offline  
Old
08-13-2012, 02:32 PM
  #677
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 50
Playing extra seasons in junior didn't hurt Jordan Eberle. It could be good for Scheifele. Let him dominate juniors, fight for a WJ Gold, then make the Jets as a contributer, not just in a sheltered role.

JetsHomer is offline  
Old
08-13-2012, 02:53 PM
  #678
Flair Hay
Registered User
 
Flair Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,964
vCash: 155
Can't think of too many players that have been hurt by spending more time in junior. Guys that were rushed, on the other hand...

Flair Hay is offline  
Old
08-13-2012, 03:38 PM
  #679
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
When a player's CHL season is over, he can sign on an ATO basis.
It was my understanding that if they're already under contract by the Jets I believe they don't need an ATO, and can simply be assigned(though I know there's someone here who knows waaaay more about contracts and what not then I do, if it's you then i apologise for questioning your wisdom ).

he 19 year old eligibility is an agreement between the NHL, CHL and AHL (if I"m not mistaken) in an attempt to protect the interests of the CHL by not "stealing" all of their best talent for the AHL at the age of 18.

The idea is this allows the CHL to remain viable, as if there was a constant drain of every 18 yearold star, the quality of the league and product would suffer. Being able to showcase "the stars of tomorrow" that have already been drafted makes the CHL a much more marketable product.

Grind is offline  
Old
08-13-2012, 03:54 PM
  #680
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Don't they burn a year of ELC if he plays in the AHL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Yes but, because of his age, he won't be AHL elgible until 2013-2014 season.
Actually no, they would not. As Grind has stated below, due to the NHL-CHL agreement, they cannot send Scheifele down to the AHL. But if a player is drafted out of Europe/Junior A, they can be signed and assigned the AHL at 18 or 19. If that were to happen, (such as Slava Voynov for example), playing in the AHL does NOT burn years of the ELC, so long as they still play less than 10 games at the NHL level. That's why Voynov will be playing his 5th season under his ELC this upcoming year, since he played in the AHL at 18 and 19, bumping the contract back each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
It was my understanding that if they're already under contract by the Jets I believe they don't need an ATO, and can simply be assigned(though I know there's someone here who knows waaaay more about contracts and what not then I do, if it's you then i apologise for questioning your wisdom ).

he 19 year old eligibility is an agreement between the NHL, CHL and AHL (if I"m not mistaken) in an attempt to protect the interests of the CHL by not "stealing" all of their best talent for the AHL at the age of 18.

The idea is this allows the CHL to remain viable, as if there was a constant drain of every 18 yearold star, the quality of the league and product would suffer. Being able to showcase "the stars of tomorrow" that have already been drafted makes the CHL a much more marketable product.
You nailed it, that's exactly what it is going with the contract and reasoning.

__________________


Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
08-13-2012, 04:15 PM
  #681
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,965
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Actually no, they would not. As Grind has stated below, due to the NHL-CHL agreement, they cannot send Scheifele down to the AHL. But if a player is drafted out of Europe/Junior A, they can be signed and assigned the AHL at 18 or 19. If that were to happen, (such as Slava Voynov for example), playing in the AHL does NOT burn years of the ELC, so long as they still play less than 10 games at the NHL level. That's why Voynov will be playing his 5th season under his ELC this upcoming year, since he played in the AHL at 18 and 19, bumping the contract back each year.



You nailed it, that's exactly what it is going with the contract and reasoning.
My bad. Sorry should of said age with being a CHL player under certain games played.


CBA is by far my weakest area in hockey!!

garret9 is online now  
Old
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
  #682
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,230
vCash: 1250
I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

Kosmachuk seems like such a great kid...

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...7573168f4a57d6


Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
08-16-2012, 11:53 AM
  #683
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,024
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

Kosmachuk seems like such a great kid...

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...7573168f4a57d6

Thanks Gump. It's been great.

sully1410 is offline  
Old
08-20-2012, 12:46 AM
  #684
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,244
vCash: 50
So with no more moves, what do you guys think our line ups look like going into the season?

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Burmistrov - Little
Poni - Antropov - Wellwood
Machacek - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma
Clitsome

Pavelec
Montoya

JetsHomer is offline  
Old
08-20-2012, 04:59 AM
  #685
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
So with no more moves, what do you guys think our line ups look like going into the season?

Kane - Jokinen - Wheeler
Ladd - Burmistrov - Little
Poni - Antropov - Wellwood
Machacek - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma
Clitsome

Pavelec
Montoya
If there are no surprises at training camp and in pre-season (I'm looking at you Cormier, Telegin, Redmond, Klingber, Postma and Scheifele) it will be either:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen- Burmistrov
Poni - Antropov - Wellwood
Machacek - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Clitsome
Postma

Pavelec
Montoya


OR

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen- Wellwood
Poni - Burmistrov - Antropov
Machacek - Slater - Thorburn
Miettinen

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Clitsome
Postma

Pavelec
Montoya

GermanJetsFan is offline  
Old
08-20-2012, 11:58 AM
  #686
roccerfeller
jets bromantic
 
roccerfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 240
I had a feeling Jokinen was going to be our first line center, non?

roccerfeller is offline  
Old
08-20-2012, 12:12 PM
  #687
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,009
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I had a feeling Jokinen was going to be our first line center, non?
Maybe.

Depends how Noel wants to run his lines. The top 2 lines may end up with pretty similar total minutes. I expects Ladd and Little to get a little more PK time, while Wheeler, Kane and Olli will probably get a good chunk of PP minutes.

truck is online now  
Old
08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
  #688
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I had a feeling Jokinen was going to be our first line center, non?
the team is likely to role with a balanced top 9 to spread out scoring. WIth the Chemistry already apparent between ladds Little Wheeler, it makes sense for Joki to line up With Kane and player X (burmi/welly)

as both lines will likely get very similar ice-time, essentially kane joki x could be the first line and LLW could be the second.

Grind is offline  
Old
08-20-2012, 12:34 PM
  #689
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
the team is likely to role with a balanced top 9 to spread out scoring. WIth the Chemistry already apparent between ladds Little Wheeler, it makes sense for Joki to line up With Kane and player X (burmi/welly)

as both lines will likely get very similar ice-time, essentially kane joki x could be the first line and LLW could be the second.
Probably (as has been mentioned before) more along the lines of a 1a and 1b, a 3rd line (yay! A real 3rd line! ), and a 4th line. Usage of those two 1st lines will vary based on circumstances, opposing teams, line-matching, etc, IMHO.

YWGinYYZ is online now  
Old
08-20-2012, 01:30 PM
  #690
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,724
vCash: 500
My take:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma

Pavelec
Montoya

WJG is offline  
Old
08-20-2012, 05:46 PM
  #691
roccerfeller
jets bromantic
 
roccerfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Maybe.

Depends how Noel wants to run his lines. The top 2 lines may end up with pretty similar total minutes. I expects Ladd and Little to get a little more PK time, while Wheeler, Kane and Olli will probably get a good chunk of PP minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
the team is likely to role with a balanced top 9 to spread out scoring. WIth the Chemistry already apparent between ladds Little Wheeler, it makes sense for Joki to line up With Kane and player X (burmi/welly)

as both lines will likely get very similar ice-time, essentially kane joki x could be the first line and LLW could be the second.
I suppose he will be tinkering around with the lines a bit. For instance' Ladd-Little-wheels do have chemistry and did a lot of heavy lifting for us but if Joki ends up working better with them, then he might end up moving there. Agree with both of you essentially, though. I do feel Joki and Wellwood would go very nicely together. It would be nice to see him play with Ladd and wheeler too, but makes more sense to go second line now that I think about it a bit deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Probably (as has been mentioned before) more along the lines of a 1a and 1b, a 3rd line (yay! A real 3rd line! ), and a 4th line. Usage of those two 1st lines will vary based on circumstances, opposing teams, line-matching, etc, IMHO.
The fact we'll finally have a real third line cannot be overlooked at all

I jibe with the 1a and 1b thought. I missed this discussion x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
My take:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Wellwood
Ponikarovsky - Burmistrov - Antropov
Miettinen - Slater - Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma

Pavelec
Montoya
Seems good to me! Poni will be a big plus on third line especially if Burmy gets C

roccerfeller is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 10:30 AM
  #692
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

Kosmachuk seems like such a great kid...

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...7573168f4a57d6

Sounds like Scheifele isn't the only one whose go-to statement is "you'know..."

Grind is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 10:43 AM
  #693
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,836
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Sounds like Scheifele isn't the only one whose go-to statement is "you'know..."


These guys get so excited during the interviews, that they forget to pause, and that it's OK to pause. I've trained myself over time to not use "um", and "you know" during public speaking, but it's not something that's natural, IMHO. That said, it's great to see how excited these guys are. I don't really care one way or the other if they're not the best public speakers - I just enjoy their genuine enthusiasm.

One prospect that has really impressed me in his interviews is Sutter - he's really well spoken for such a young kid.

YWGinYYZ is online now  
Old
08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
  #694
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post


These guys get so excited during the interviews, that they forget to pause, and that it's OK to pause. I've trained myself over time to not use "um", and "you know" during public speaking, but it's not something that's natural, IMHO. That said, it's great to see how excited these guys are. I don't really care one way or the other if they're not the best public speakers - I just enjoy their genuine enthusiasm.

One prospect that has really impressed me in his interviews is Sutter - he's really well spoken for such a young kid.
Was going to mention that, I'm very excited for him. Really like his interviews, seems like a really level young man, really looking forward to the day he cracks the roster.

As for the above, I know. A lot of the vet players still use the 'Umm"/"you Know?" crutch, it certainly isn't something that comes easy. I too have managed to train myself away from it but only after a lot of practice (essentially beating myself up and taking note of every time I DID do it in an effort to guilt me into submission).

Even for an excited young guy, I thought Kosmachuk really interviewed well, especially in a number of other interviews I've seen with him (i think they were from the development camp). Really like both him and Sutter.

Grind is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 12:27 PM
  #695
buggs
Registered User
 
buggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: flatlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,683
vCash: 128
Really starting to like the top three draft picks this year more and more. Kosmachuk seems like he might end up being a bit of a steal in a year or two and Sutter is, well, a Sutter. Trouba still worries me a bit, just based on his reactions to being drafted. Didn't seem all that excited that he was a Jet, almost had the feeling he'd rather be somewhere else to be honest.

buggs is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 01:06 PM
  #696
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Really starting to like the top three draft picks this year more and more. Kosmachuk seems like he might end up being a bit of a steal in a year or two and Sutter is, well, a Sutter. Trouba still worries me a bit, just based on his reactions to being drafted. Didn't seem all that excited that he was a Jet, almost had the feeling he'd rather be somewhere else to be honest.
This is exactly what I said would happen if the Jets drafted an American like Trouba. I had a discussion with a few people on this board on the exact same topic and they seemed to think my comments didn't have any merit. Proof will be in the pudding when Buff and Trouba's contracts come up for renewal. $5 says they head south...

drumzan is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
  #697
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
This is exactly what I said would happen if the Jets drafted an American like Trouba. I had a discussion with a few people on this board on the exact same topic and they seemed to think my comments didn't have any merit. Proof will be in the pudding when Buff and Trouba's contracts come up for renewal. $5 says they head south...
so should we only draft/sign players from manitoba?

Yes it could be an issue that they want to go home, but that is something that you A) don't have control over and B ) run the risk with any player not from your home town.

can you see the barriers in acting on that hunch? You would arbitrarily limit the pool of players you can draft to such a small amount that your handicapping yourself far worse then if you had a player that was good for a few years and then left.

Besides you can always trade his rights later if it turns out he is going to run away home.

Being afraid of this is like being being afraid of flying.

Yes there is a risk, but it is so small that it's not worth acting on. Those that do act upon it are considered strange/abnormal, as they suffer through long and painful car-train-boat rides instead of using the most efficient form of transportation available.

So yes, I would much rather we draft "RISKY" Americans that are highly touted, then settling for a lesser player because "he's a local boy". Thank god you are not in charge of this hockey team.

Grind is offline  
Old
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
  #698
EpicGingy
Registered User
 
EpicGingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 50
Why does everybody always point to Winnipeg as the place where Americans don't want go go?

MAYBE Trouba is like that, but I doubt it. Couldn't somebody drafted to Calgary or Edmonton not want to play there, too? I'm sure if he likes the atmosphere, or if we're a winning team by the time he becomes a RFA (whenever that is under the new CBA), he'd be willing to resign despite whatever he may or may not like about the city.

EpicGingy is online now  
Old
08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
  #699
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 16,703
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
This is exactly what I said would happen if the Jets drafted an American like Trouba. I had a discussion with a few people on this board on the exact same topic and they seemed to think my comments didn't have any merit. Proof will be in the pudding when Buff and Trouba's contracts come up for renewal. $5 says they head south...
I don't subscribe to this crap at all. Bogosian is American, Slater is American and they are both very happy to be here. Kane is Canadian, and there have been constant (unfounded) rumors he doesn't want to be here.

Drafting a player, based on nationality and a stereotype is ridiculous. Bad organizations do that. TN is not a bad org.

__________________
Team Bogosian
Jet is online now  
Old
08-21-2012, 01:49 PM
  #700
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I don't subscribe to this crap at all. Bogosian is American, Slater is American and they are both very happy to be here. Kane is Canadian, and there have been constant (unfounded) rumors he doesn't want to be here.

Drafting a player, based on nationality and a stereotype is ridiculous. Bad organizations do that. TN is not a bad org.
This, a thousand times this.

Grind is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.