HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part IX)

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Changing topics; Scheifele with the high quality cross country zinger...

https://twitter.com/ALowsyPlayer17/s...820224/photo/1

It's hilarious that you posted this Gump. I was skimming through our prospects for the Nth time the other day and thought the same thing when I saw Lowry's picture again.

Dam, HF really needs to update that picture, he looks 12.

Old
08-27-2012, 03:04 AM
Zhamnov10

vCash: 500
Proposal
Wpg
Kane
Cormier
2013 2nd

Chi
Hjalmarsson
Hayes(jimmy)
Saad

We get a solid d to pair with Bogo,a NHL ready power fwd right wing in Hayes,and a top prospect to replace Kane's scoring in a years time.we could in turn trade Hainsey for a lw gap filler.

Old
08-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Pongs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov10 View Post
Proposal
Wpg
Kane
Cormier
2013 2nd

Chi
Hjalmarsson
Hayes(jimmy)
Saad

We get a solid d to pair with Bogo,a NHL ready power fwd right wing in Hayes,and a top prospect to replace Kane's scoring in a years time.we could in turn trade Hainsey for a lw gap filler.
Even with a 1st I personally still don't like this trade. I think with how the market has been we could demand a lot more. I could just be bias as I think that Kane is going to be a superstar one day and think we could get 2 top 6 forwards and a 1st for Kane and a throw in pick, or a top 4 D man and top 6 forward and a high draft pick. IMHO

Old
08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I would like you to show us ONE CONCRETE piece of evidence -- not speculation, conjecture, hearsay, etc. that backs your claim of Kane being here for 5 years tops. Until then your whole argument is 100% moot. Especially considering you have no idea how long Edler would stay here if we did indeed make a trade like that.

All of this is getting kind of tiring. It's cool to discuss trades and worths of players but when people start throwing around wild claims as fact then it just gets silly IMHO.
The fact is Kane is a UFA in 4 years. Fact is we offered him 5 years. Fact is he hasn't accepted the offer. Hearsay is that he travels around with his agent everywhere, who tries to promote his client. Conjecture is that he got punched out a local nightclub during the season. Fact is Winnipeg is a pretty small market, and the NDP invested in the Jets to get re-elected. Fact is our defense is not very good, imperically or visually. Another fact would be that twice I talked about the relationship True North had with two players who were groomed by the Moose, whereas Kane is a player who was brought over from a relocated franchise, and no one commented on this. Fact is that not a single person responded to my statement that the two players from the Canucks would make us better than Kane alone, but chose to talk about the logistics of the trade. Which is fine, because I never said we should trade x for y and z, but said y and z would make w>x. And then added hypotheses to keep x=Edler as a Jet, so that d>2012, and pk had less variables. Personally I hope Kane stays, and scores 40 because he is a Leo like me, stubborn, and not lacking in heart. Please spare me the condescension. However I do appreciate the difficulty in maintaining civility and rationality in moderation.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:38 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
The fact is Kane is a UFA in 4 years. Fact is we offered him 5 years. Fact is he hasn't accepted the offer. Hearsay is that he travels around with his agent everywhere, who tries to promote his client. Conjecture is that he got punched out a local nightclub during the season. Fact is Winnipeg is a pretty small market, and the NDP invested in the Jets to get re-elected. Fact is our defense is not very good, imperically or visually. Another fact would be that twice I talked about the relationship True North had with two players who were groomed by the Moose, whereas Kane is a player who was brought over from a relocated franchise, and no one commented on this. Fact is that not a single person responded to my statement that the two players from the Canucks would make us better than Kane alone, but chose to talk about the logistics of the trade. Which is fine, because I never said we should trade x for y and z, but said y and z would make w>x. And then added hypotheses to keep x=Edler as a Jet, so that d>2012, and pk had less variables. Personally I hope Kane stays, and scores 40 because he is a Leo like me, stubborn, and not lacking in heart. Please spare me the condescension. However I do appreciate the difficulty in maintaining civility and rationality in moderation.
Guess it's "NDP, strong and free" not "True North" during the anthems then.

Old
08-27-2012, 09:53 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Guess it's "NDP, strong and free" not "True North" during the anthems then.
Nothing is free with the NDP!

Old
08-27-2012, 10:17 AM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Nothing is free with the NDP!
Are you implying that Chipman and Thomson had to come up with private funds to purchase the Jets, and the NDP didn't just stump up the cash in order to get themselves re-elected?

Old
08-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Your first three sentances we're the only bits that could actually be built on regarding Kane and his movement, and I assure you, he's not first RFA to turn down a contract offer and then sign longterm (Remember drew doughty and how he was for sure going to be traded and then signed a mammoth contract?).

Does it mean he doesn't want to be hear for 5 years? We don't know for sure, what we know for sure is, he didn't want to be here at 5 years for those terms-which is very very different.

bolded: investing is a fact, reason for investing is conjecture.

Unless you're in the NDP's warroom, I'm pretty sure they invested in the Jets because it made sense business wise (if you recall it was actually the conservative party that publicly trumpeted wanting to bring the jets back, the ndp has never nearly as vocal on such things publicly[which is where political parties do things "to get re-elected]).

I also don't see how that's related to Kane being in Winnipeg at all... unless he's some hardcore libertarian, but Kane just doesn't strike me as a player with much interest in politics (just in case, that is conjecture). and lets also not act like the jets are the only pro sports team that has been influenced or helped monetarily by their government. But we really shouldn't be discussing such things here...

the trade:

Does true north acquiring players they're familiar with seem their MO? Definitely agree that they do, but I think it will only be used if compared to another option, all things are equal. Maybe i'm wrong and they put waaay more weight on it, but personally, i really hope they don't.

Does Edler and Raymond make the Jets a better team? I'm honestly not convinced it does.

All of a sudden our LW depth is brutal. We have 1 1st line lw and 2 third line lw in Raymond an poni(both of which would be ufa veryquickly but this business has been discussed).

Edler is for sure a great addition, but he's an upgrade in a position that we have 3 very good players at already. The difference in talent between Edler and Hainsey is not, IMO the difference in talent between Kane or Raymond/Ponikarovsky.

add in the fact that players of Raymond quality are easily (imo) obtainable through free agency, it's not an asset I would be interested in acquiring.

I just don't believe further unbalancing our team to be high on D to weaken our forwards, is really going to get us any farther along.

Not to mention the cap logistics of then having 4 d man that would all be making well north of 5 mil long term (assuming bogo and edler keep on their progression ) is going to handicap you somewhere else.

If bogo takes another stepforward he'll make over 5, and i assume edler would as well... having 4 dmen in the 5-6 range would be pretty frightening for cap constraints. (not a single team currently pays more then 2 dmen over 5 mil)

I'm glad we're in agreement that you don't want to do the trade, a young, possible "super-star" talent is something this team could use more of.

EDIT: oh dear god that got away from me and grew....

Old
08-27-2012, 08:07 PM
mattcooke649

CHI

Kane

WPG

Tuevo
Saad
Stalberg
1st 2013

Old
08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcooke649 View Post
CHI

Kane

WPG

Tuevo
Saad
Stalberg
1st 2013

Old
08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

I remember on the main board (and on our board), there was daily speculation about Toby Enstrom until he signed his big extension. Kinda looking forward to that phase with Kane as well. I don't mind looking at trade ideas but it has kind of run its coarse for me personally with Kane.

love him or hate him Kane is a good fit for the Jets as far as age and his skill set goes and we have his rights for 4 years (depending on the new CBA). I know we will sign him its just whether its a Duchene type deal (2 years) or a 6 year deal like some of his suto peer group have inked lately.

I guess it helps pass the time when there is no other real news.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Daddy Longlegs

On a different topic,

Who would be on board for doing this trade today:

To Winnipeg

Columbus's 1st round pick in 2013

To Columbus

Winnipeg's 1st round pick in 2013
Winnipegs 3rd round pick in 2013

Anyone think this is a good idea? You think Howsen would go for it? Risky yes, but could pay off in spades. Also, you have to think that there is a certain amount of pride on Howsens part. If he didn't accept the trade, he's basically saying that he's not confident in the job he did in the off-season to bolster his team. Otherwise why not take the extra draft pick? I think these guys have a high level of pride and therefore might actually allow this trade to happen. Also, he'd be trading with the Jets. Not like its Pittsburgh, Philly, or L.A. here. Might be do-able. Just for the record, I'd do it. As I predict the Jackets to finish 30th this year. But I bet Howsen doesn't.

Old
08-28-2012, 06:50 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Longlegs View Post
On a different topic,

To Winnipeg

To Columbus

Anyone think this is a good idea? You think Howsen would go for it? Risky yes, but could pay off in spades. Also, you have to think that there is a certain amount of pride on Howsens part. If he didn't accept the trade, he's basically saying that he's not confident in the job he did in the off-season to bolster his team. Otherwise why not take the extra draft pick? I think these guys have a high level of pride and therefore might actually allow this trade to happen. Also, he'd be trading with the Jets. Not like its Pittsburgh, Philly, or L.A. here. Might be do-able. Just for the record, I'd do it. As I predict the Jackets to finish 30th this year. But I bet Howsen doesn't.
Jets would do this in a second, Columbus laughs and hangs up the phone.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:10 PM
sully1410

Quote:
On a different topic,

To Winnipeg

To Columbus

As hard as it is to believe, I think your overestimating how dumb Scott Howsen is.

Or they do this and shock us all by winning the cup.

Old
08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
On a different topic,

To Winnipeg

To Columbus

Jets jump on this if Mason is their #1. Not sure if I'd be down if Bobrovsky takes over...

CBJ wouldn't take this I don't think, just by using last years positioning (I doubt they predict placements pre-season for these trade values)

Old
08-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
On a different topic,

To Winnipeg

To Columbus

Terrible value for the Blue Jackets. Please don't post this anywhere else but here.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Daddy Longlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Jets jump on this if Mason is their #1. Not sure if I'd be down if Bobrovsky takes over...

CBJ wouldn't take this I don't think, just by using last years positioning (I doubt they predict placements pre-season for these trade values)
Yeah, they probably wouldn't go for it. I don't think it's a ridiculous proposal though. I don't think I've ever heard of a trade like this (swapping picks only) prior to a seasons start. Would be very interesting if gm's starting doing this type of thing.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:57 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Yeah, they probably wouldn't go for it. I don't think it's a ridiculous proposal though. I don't think I've ever heard of a trade like this (swapping picks only) prior to a seasons start. Would be very interesting if gm's starting doing this type of thing.
To much of a gamble.

Old
08-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
To much of a gamble.
Agreed, thats all it is is a gamble. Theres no pieces that need to fit, and doesnt tangibly improve your roster or depth its just a strait gamble.

I am probably alone in this but i think columbus will surprise this year. Not make the playoffs, lets be realistic, but i could see them making quite an improvement if they

A) adopt a coaching strategy that plays off the teans increased grittiness.

B) bobrovski finds some conaistancy. As an ex flyers fan i love this kid, laviolettes high fore pressure system always leaves the goalie out to dry and i think this kid could really be a starter

I dont think i do it. Too much of a gamble. Do i tjink we are considerably better then columbus? Yes. But one oe two key injuries and its not sich a drastic difference.

Old
08-29-2012, 11:32 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Agreed, thats all it is is a gamble. Theres no pieces that need to fit, and doesnt tangibly improve your roster or depth its just a strait gamble.

I am probably alone in this but i think columbus will surprise this year. Not make the playoffs, lets be realistic, but i could see them making quite an improvement if they

A) adopt a coaching strategy that plays off the teans increased grittiness.

B) bobrovski finds some conaistancy. As an ex flyers fan i love this kid, laviolettes high fore pressure system always leaves the goalie out to dry and i think this kid could really be a starter

I dont think i do it. Too much of a gamble. Do i tjink we are considerably better then columbus? Yes. But one oe two key injuries and its not sich a drastic difference.
All it is, is swapping picks. Think for a minute, what if Columbus finished ahead of us in the standings? We'd all be calling for Chevy's head. You only trade up with your first in the days leading up to the draft. Anything else is poor asset management.

I agree with you. I do believe that this Nash trade marks Columbus's rise out if the cellar, granted to actually make the playoffs, Howsob needs to make the right moves and they need to get the right kind of system in place. Something like Nashville's got, given how strong their D corps is in relation to the rest of the team.

Old
09-09-2012, 01:50 PM
impastabowl

Just gonna leave this here:

Old
09-09-2012, 02:39 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by impastabowl View Post