HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - Off Season 2012-13 (Part IX)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
  #151
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 50
I'm pretty sure term is what shied him away from signing with us. He has an offer on the table, I'd bet on that but it's 2 years at best and he'd like to have 3+ to finally settle in a place and get consistent. Unfortunately, the Jets isn't the best team right now for that kind of a contract and is the reason why Chevy only offers him an one or two year contract (which is the right decision for us).

I think Wellwood will wait a couple more days, maybe even one or two weeks and will sign relatively late with us (because he didn't get better offers with longer terms) or he'll sign in one or two days with someone who gives him 3-4 Years/2.5-3 M per year. I guess he also already has an offer from Philly on the table (to unite him with his brother) but it's also only a short term deal.

GermanJetsFan is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
  #152
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
I'm pretty sure term is what shied him away from signing with us. He has an offer on the table, I'd bet on that but it's 2 years at best and he'd like to have 3+ to finally settle in a place and get consistent. Unfortunately, the Jets isn't the best team right now for that kind of a contract and is the reason why Chevy only offers him an one or two year contract (which is the right decision for us).

I think Wellwood will wait a couple more days, maybe even one or two weeks and will sign relatively late with us (because he didn't get better offers with longer terms) or he'll sign in one or two days with someone who gives him 3-4 Years/2.5-3 M per year. I guess he also already has an offer from Philly on the table (to unite him with his brother) but it's also only a short term deal.
I keep hearing this on the forum but I haven't seen any "real" source mention this. Is their anything more to it besides the fact his brother is playing there and that the flyers lost jagr? .....ok nevermind that actually adds up pretty decently...

brothers there, they lost a rw, he is 3-4 on the RW depth chart in FA, and the team needs to be careful with its cap... it WOULD make sense even if he didn't have a brother there.

I'd happily take him back here, but i would also happily take Semin, Meuller, or Kostitsyn. I don't like Kostitsyn but I think it's for the arbitrary reason of the way he looks. He looks....snarky...

Grind is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:15 AM
  #153
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I keep hearing this on the forum but I haven't seen any "real" source mention this. Is their anything more to it besides the fact his brother is playing there and that the flyers lost jagr? .....ok nevermind that actually adds up pretty decently...

brothers there, they lost a rw, he is 3-4 on the RW depth chart in FA, and the team needs to be careful with its cap... it WOULD make sense even if he didn't have a brother there.
that made me smile

GermanJetsFan is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:30 AM
  #154
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,243
vCash: 50
One thing to think about...

We have a thread here where we are mainly talking about Semin (or adding another top 6 forward), and a thread about Enstrom (his contract and possibly extending him).

IMO, these two issues are something that Chevy could, or should be thinking about simultaneously.

IOW, I'm of the opinion that he needs to know right now if Enstrom is signing, and if not, he needs to be traded. Well, if Chevy has already had that conversation (and Enstrom isn't staying), then he could try to trade Enstrom for a true top 6 player, or maybe he tries to deal him for a younger potential top 6 player and a younger defenseman to help offset the loss.

Anyway, this is why I think we need to know now if Enstrom is staying or going. It will give Chevy a much better idea on what kind of players he needs to target in both FA, and in terms of the trade itself.

Huffer is online now  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:34 AM
  #155
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,830
vCash: 50
I think Wellwood could get a 2-year deal somewhere, possibly here, but I would be quite surprised if someone actually gave him a 3-year deal. He just doesn't seem like the type pf player that warrants anything more than 2 years, in my opinion. I think 3 years would be too long.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=140320  8020
Guerzy is online now  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
  #156
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
One thing to think about...

We have a thread here where we are mainly talking about Semin (or adding another top 6 forward), and a thread about Enstrom (his contract and possibly extending him).

IMO, these two issues are something that Chevy could, or should be thinking about simultaneously.

IOW, I'm of the opinion that he needs to know right now if Enstrom is signing, and if not, he needs to be traded. Well, if Chevy has already had that conversation (and Enstrom isn't staying), then he could try to trade Enstrom for a true top 6 player, or maybe he tries to deal him for a younger potential top 6 player and a younger defenseman to help offset the loss.

Anyway, this is why I think we need to know now if Enstrom is staying or going. It will give Chevy a much better idea on what kind of players he needs to target in both FA, and in terms of the trade itself.
Very much agree. I would love to get a return of a roster top 6 forward/top 4 d and a prospect of the other. As in, roster top 6 f and a prospect projecting as a top 4 d. or a roster top 4 d and prospect projecting as a top 6.

oh, and the D should be Lefty too.

Grind is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
  #157
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 50
I don't think they already talked about it. Chevy was busy with the draft, our resignings Pavs and Slater and now with the UFA market. Enstrom was probably not even in Canada (or still isn't?? Idk).

GermanJetsFan is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:42 AM
  #158
Savardian Spinarama
Grippin' 'n Grinnin'
 
Savardian Spinarama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Kostitsyn is a very divisive player. He always seems so much less than the sum of his skills so much of the time. That being said he seems to be capable of pulling that one "did you see that?" move which makes people wonder about the "what if?" nature of his game. Semin seems to be more consistent in putting up the points, but his attitude, like Kos seems to always be in question.

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of either, but if we could get one I think I'd rather have Semin.

Savardian Spinarama is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:42 AM
  #159
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,418
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebez View Post
I actually prefer Wellwood for the reasons you've stated here: he's a "pass first" player. Look at the rest of our Top 6: Ladd, Kane, Jokinen and Little are all "shoot first" types: Kane, Little and Ladd all had more goals than assists last year I think we need a playmaker more than another goal scorer.

I think having Wheeler and Wellwood on the right side would give us a real unique offense where the play is set up from the right side (kind of like a poor man's St. Louis and Stamkos, but on two lines). Might be tricky to defend against for teams with shutdown centers.
I think this is really similar to problems with Semin and his supposed "character" issues.
Sometimes people consider people a particular type of player due to nationality and or simple stats like goals and assists.

Blake Wheeler took 50 more shots than Bryan Little and they played almost the exact same minutes in the same type of lines.
Andrei Kostitsyn took about the same amount of shots as Bryan Little.
Olli Jokkinen took about the same shots as Blake Wheeler and admitted to him being more of a playmaker relative to the shoot-first guy that existed in Florida.

Also, for those complaining about "consistency" problems, realize that Semin had the most pts/gm and most pts/toi compared to the other two... then followed by Kostitsyn... then Wellwood... so technically they are more consistent than Wellwood anyways, even if they don't seem like it.


Last edited by garret9: 07-05-2012 at 10:49 AM.
garret9 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:47 AM
  #160
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,243
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
I don't think they already talked about it. Chevy was busy with the draft, our resignings Pavs and Slater and now with the UFA market. Enstrom was probably not even in Canada (or still isn't?? Idk).
I hear what you are saying, but IMO Chevy could have, and probably should have been talking with Enstrom's agent as soon as the end of the season. Maybe even earlier.

It wouldn't have had to have been a formal face to face, just conversations about Enstrom's thoughts and plans on the future. And then every time you talk again you try to get more specifics, so that when you talk or meet in May / June, you would pretty much know if the player was willing to start to negotiate a contract.

Huffer is online now  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:49 AM
  #161
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Also, for those complaining about "consistency" problems, realize that Semin had the most pts/gm and most pts/toi compared to the other two... then followed by Kostitsyn... then Wellwood... so technically they are more consistent than him anyways, even if they aren't.
Semin and AK put up more p/gms than Wellwood? Of course they did But you shouldn't forget to compare the money they made last season aswell.

GermanJetsFan is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:50 AM
  #162
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*
 
GermanJetsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Darmstadt, GER
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,945
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I hear what you are saying, but IMO Chevy could have, and probably should have been talking with Enstrom's agent as soon as the end of the season. Maybe even earlier.

It wouldn't have had to have been a formal face to face, just conversations about Enstrom's thoughts and plans on the future. And then every time you talk again you try to get more specifics, so that when you talk or meet in May / June, you would pretty much know if the player was willing to start to negotiate a contract.
Makes sense. I wasn't trying to say they NEVER EVER spoke about that I ment that they surely didn't started talking about contract negotiations or money or years. But besides that, you're probably right.

GermanJetsFan is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:00 AM
  #163
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,418
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Semin and AK put up more p/gms than Wellwood? Of course they did But you shouldn't forget to compare the money they made last season aswell.
I was talking about how consistent they were, not their value/$... specially without us having cap issues so far
I would much rather those two over Welly even though I'm not against him at all
For the top6 I'd go Semin>AK>Burmi>Wellwood

garret9 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:05 AM
  #164
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 1250
Regardless of whether or not they re-sign him, I think the writing is already on the wall with regards to trading Enstrom. Jets management can see the high cost that UFA players are garnering at current and can fairly accurately project the cost to retain Enstrom; that potential outlay can be utilized more effectively elsewhere however. They've potentially 5 RFA players to sign next summer and that list comprises the majority of our young core group, and they've Kane to re-up right now as well.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7

It just seems unlikely the Jets will be willing to commit additional annual salary to a small and physically ineffective d-man - regardless of offensive capability.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:16 AM
  #165
Gm0ney
Registered User
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,600
vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Regardless of whether or not they re-sign him, I think the writing is already on the wall with regards to trading Enstrom. Jets management can see the high cost that UFA players are garnering at current and can fairly accurately project the cost to retain Enstrom; that potential outlay can be utilized more effectively elsewhere however. They've potentially 5 RFA players to sign next summer and that list comprises the majority of our young core group, and they've Kane to re-up right now as well.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7

It just seems unlikely the Jets will be willing to commit additional annual salary to a small and physically ineffective d-man - regardless of offensive capability.
Luckily, the Jets are blessed with large and physically ineffective d-men like Byfuglien and Hainsey.

Gm0ney is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:21 AM
  #166
Sweech
COYS!
 
Sweech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,754
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Regardless of whether or not they re-sign him, I think the writing is already on the wall with regards to trading Enstrom. Jets management can see the high cost that UFA players are garnering at current and can fairly accurately project the cost to retain Enstrom; that potential outlay can be utilized more effectively elsewhere however. They've potentially 5 RFA players to sign next summer and that list comprises the majority of our young core group, and they've Kane to re-up right now as well.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7

It just seems unlikely the Jets will be willing to commit additional annual salary to a small and physically ineffective d-man - regardless of offensive capability.
I would definitely not say the writing is on the wall due to salary.

Some of our young guys will get raises, but we also have Hainsey and Antropov money coming off the books with potentially lower salary players (Scheifele, Telegin) coming in to take roster spots. I wouldn't even count Kane's money in this argument as we literally need his salary to hit the floor.

It doesn't look like making the money work will be an issue at all.

Enstrom is making $4,500,000 this year. I can definitely see them taking some of the Hainsey money to bump that up and then all is good.

Sweech is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:27 AM
  #167
almostawake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Regardless of whether or not they re-sign him, I think the writing is already on the wall with regards to trading Enstrom. Jets management can see the high cost that UFA players are garnering at current and can fairly accurately project the cost to retain Enstrom; that potential outlay can be utilized more effectively elsewhere however. They've potentially 5 RFA players to sign next summer and that list comprises the majority of our young core group, and they've Kane to re-up right now as well.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7

It just seems unlikely the Jets will be willing to commit additional annual salary to a small and physically ineffective d-man - regardless of offensive capability.
The high cost of signing UFAs is the best argument for resigning Enstrom if he's willing to stay. The real issue is whether or not and/or how badly he wants to stay.

almostawake is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
  #168
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,226
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Luckily, the Jets are blessed with large and physically ineffective d-men like Byfuglien and Hainsey.
Haha well done. It's all fine and good to continually harp on Enstrom's size but honestly it's more offensive to me to watch defensmen who are blessed with size not use it at all.

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:54 AM
  #169
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 1250
Not only is Hainsey's salary eventually coming off the books but Antropov's as well. Those cap space gains will be largely negated by pending salary requirements in the RFA category however.

I believe some are fooling themselves if they believe the Jets management would be overly excited about the prospect of facing much bigger teams in the West one year from now with arguably the smallest d-man in the league on their blue line in the #1 pair. Enstrom is indeed quite skilled but those skills are offset at times by his lack of size. Many here look at his potential loss strictly from the perspective of points lost and ignore offsetting gains that would come from icing a more sizable overall D group. Losing Enstrom's offense would not necessarily need be replaced on an apples-to-apples basis with a similar player; conversely, IMO the Jets D played some of their best defensive structure last season, more of a team game, when Enstrom was injured.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
  #170
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
The high cost of signing UFAs is the best argument for resigning Enstrom if he's willing to stay. The real issue is whether or not and/or how badly he wants to stay.
Not at all. They can replace him in-house and did exactly that last year when he was injured, quite effectively in fact. They did so with guys like Kulda and Flood for gosh sakes, so the argument that Enstrom is so vital to retain is a bit overplayed on this board, and especially at a potential likely cost of 6 million per - or more.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:13 PM
  #171
puck stoppa
Registered User
 
puck stoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,866
vCash: 500
Chevy said he would be interested in upgrading via trades this summer. Who would he be willing to trade? What would the combination of Klingberg and Hainsey get us in return?

puck stoppa is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
  #172
TCsmyth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Not at all. They can replace him in-house and did exactly that last year when he was injured, quite effectively in fact. They did so with guys like Kulda and Flood for gosh sakes, so the argument that Enstrom is so vital to retain is a bit overplayed on this board, and especially at a potential likely cost of 6 million per - or more.
I agree with this. I am not with the "sky is falling" crowd if for some reason we don't have Toby anymore.

It is not like this franchise has been making a whole bunch of deep playoff runs with him getting top line d-minutes. If he is supposedly coveted so much by other teams, seems like a very good trade chip for Chevy to dangle. I said it before, after watching recent playoff seasons, I just don't see how his battle level translates in these series as a top pairing guy.

Please don't kill me for saying this

TCsmyth is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
  #173
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Not only is Hainsey's salary eventually coming off the books but Antropov's as well. Those cap space gains will be largely negated by pending salary requirements in the RFA category however.

I believe some are fooling themselves if they believe the Jets management would be overly excited about the prospect of facing much bigger teams in the West one year from now with arguably the smallest d-man in the league on their blue line in the #1 pair. Enstrom is indeed quite skilled but those skills are offset at times by his lack of size. Many here look at his potential loss strictly from the perspective of points lost and ignore offsetting gains that would come from icing a more sizable overall D group. Losing Enstrom's offense would not necessarily need be replaced on an apples-to-apples basis with a similar player; conversely, IMO the Jets D played some of their best defensive structure last season, more of a team game, when Enstrom was injured.
I completely agree.

blues10 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
  #174
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,418
vCash: 50
So @robvollmanNHL did a bit of moneypuck work...
With the FA signings the jets have done currently it works out to about 5pts higher in the standings. Now, this is only just points-in/points-out kind of statistical extrapolation, but it makes me excited because I can see that our depth has also improved, and thus allowing some players from last year will probably have increases in productions (examples: Kane [natural progression], Wheeler [with Jokki and possibly Kane to set up], Little [being on second line with more sheltered minutes], Burmistrov [natural progression], Antropov [more motivation with Poni]) and allowing a better deffensive game with have a legit 2way third line and small sheltered minutes for the energy line. Plus a better/stronger C depth allows more effective play in both ends.
So I can see our GF and GA improving with this.

My guess he is attempting for one top6, one bottom 6 and one depth goalie. My guesses are:
Top6 – 2nd line RW:
Semin, A. Kostitsyn, Wellwood, Mueller (whoever we sign would fight Burmistrov/Sheifele/Telegin for top6 mins)
Bottom6 – 4th line LW
Not sure of where he’s looking but whoever we sign would fight Cormier/Machecek/Mietinnen/Thorburn for the bottom6 mins
Goalie Depth – one AHL/ECHL
Probably (and hopefully) Houser after an amazing prospect camp to back up Pasquale =D (that would be amazing AHL goalie depth in my mind)

garret9 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
  #175
trebendan
Registered User
 
trebendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
For goalie depth, I'd think the Jets would be looking for someone with a lot of AHL experience, like Matt Climie, Nathan Lawson, Scott Munroe or Barry Brust.

trebendan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.