HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

P.A. Parenteau

Old
07-01-2012, 12:21 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Neither 28/29 yr old Moulson or 28 yr old Parenteau did ANYTHING at the NHL level, until put on a line with Tavares.Moulson's had 3 straight seasons of at least 30 goals and Parenteau as had season of 50+ pts and 67 pts alongside Tavares.

Every player that the isles have put on Tavares wing,has produced with him.That imo,is why the isles don't feel pressure to keep Parenteau.
Whether his rw next season is Okposo or a ufa like Kostitsyn,the Isles expect that line to produce because of Tavares.
Give PA a little more credit CREW, he proved he's a legit top-6 NHL playmaking forward. Moulson too. Yes, JT is going to inflate anyone's numbers because he is a god... but they are not devoid of talent.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

He definitely needs a good goal scorer to play with for anything over 3.5 to be worth the signing.

Pacioretty and Desharnais might be a good line for him, but I would like him to be with the isles

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:35 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Give PA a little more credit CREW, he proved he's a legit top-6 NHL playmaking forward. Moulson too. Yes, JT is going to inflate anyone's numbers because he is a god... but they are not devoid of talent.

I'm saying let's end the idea, that Parenteau is irreplaceable on Tavares wing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Rhino Rilley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
No. Playing with Tavares was BY FAR the biggest reason he put up those points. Tavares has turned two waiver wire minor leaguers into filthy rich, productive NHL'ers and it's not a coincidence.

Don't get me wrong, Parenteau can still be a productive player without Tavares but to do so he will need a very skilled, smart centre who plays a cerebral, puck possession game.

i agree tavares helped but dont act like pap couldnt put up numbers with similarily skilled players, if crosby cant turn scrubs into near 70 point players and multiple 30 goal scorers then tavares cant either

Rhino Rilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:43 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm saying let's end the idea, that Parenteau is irreplaceable on Tavares wing.
While I do like PA, he is definitely replaceable. I think Okposo's style of game is a better for for JT and Moulson. JT doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting by himself.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Renbarg

I'm an Islanders fan and I have seen PAP first hand the last two years. I want nothing to do with the type of money he will get ($3mil/yr). He's not a horrible player but he is in reality a 50 point producer when he gets the second line minutes he will most certainly get on most teams.

He will also only fit under very specific circumstances. He is not a counterpuncher. He needs a line that is slow (I don't mean footspeed wise either), methodical, and precise. He was a perfect fit with JT and Matt Moulson. Is there another line out there with that kind of style? Probably, but the question is whether or not he will find it. You also have to remember he is not very good defensively, even though he is only a winger.

I'd be happy to have him back on a short term deal under $3 million per year, but that's not going to happen.

My prediction is that he will severely disappoint and will average 40-50 points or so for the next few years (10-13 goals, 25-40 assists). Those are good stats, but not for the money he will command.

If Okposo didn't get injured the year before last, PAP would have been in Europe by now (he had an out-clause his first year with the Isles). The Islanders simply put PAP in Okposo's place because they didn't have any other right handed options to play up there with JT and MM.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Emerald Duck

PAP sounds like this year's Jason Blake. One good year with the Isles, parleys his success into a new UFA deal, and then he returns to form as a bottom 6 player with some Top 6 offensive skills. Gets unfairly crucified throughout the balance of the contract because he can't live up to the hype and contract a GM willingly offered him.

PAP is a little younger than Blake, so someone will pay him with the hope that last year was a breakout year. I just hope it isn't the Ducks

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:19 PM
FanHabtic

Some questions about PAP.

1. Does he have any grit? (does he hit, can he take a hit, can he handle himself in traffic)
2. How is his defensive game? (does he back-check, is he responsible in his own zone)

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:23 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post

1. Does he have any grit? (does he hit, can he take a hit, can he handle himself in traffic)
2. How is his defensive game? (does he back-check, is he responsible in his own zone)
He's up there in like the top 5 or so in hits for the Isles. I think top 3 for forwards on the team. Not overly physical but he's not scared to hit

Old
07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
boredmale

I will give PAP credit for getting his nose dirty at times. It's nice watching him drive to the corner with no fear when the puck is goes there

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post

1. He's too small and slow to do any damage with the body, but he isn't afraid to throw his weight around. He's also very feisty. He will always mix it up after the whistle and always have his trap running.
2. He's a winger, and there is a reason. There have been times when he doesn't back check as hard as he probably should. He's not going to PK or anything like that either.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:13 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Colorado wins the sweepstakes!

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Crown Royal

Answer: $4M/yr x 4

Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:30 PM
SakicIsMyHero

Colorado.... Called it

SakicIsMyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

little overpayed aha

Old
07-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think he gets a 4 year contract at 4 million per year.
Great call.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Avs44

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I think he gets a 4 year contract at 4 million per year.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Kcoyote3

4 million is an absolute steal.

Kcoyote3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Agreed, wanted the Avs to sign him but feared he would get 5M given some recent signings, this is an absolutly fantastic deal for the Avs.

Same deal as Jones, who only had 35 Points last year, compared to PA's 65.

Jones was Overpaid, PA definatley underpaid!!!

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote