HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 09:52 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashCapsCup View Post
You're right, Ribeiro's going to be a really solid 2C but it'd turn into the Semin situation all over again if they don't put another talent around him. One player can't make a line and carry them by himself. There needs to be 2 "stabalizers" (if you want to call it that) who can create plays, chances, and space on their own if need-be on a scoring line. When you get a player like Ribs you need to also have someone like Semin to generate offense and finish as well. Ahh, just thinking about how dirty a Semin-Ribs-Brouwer line would be.
I kinda doubt a coach whose philosophy is establishing and maintaining territory would be happy with the giveaways by that line.

Old
07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
People are just assuming that because we didn't make the big/bigger signing first that's all that Mcphee will do but not many "big fish" other than a couple have signed yet.
What is Plan B if we don't land a Big Fish?

Old
07-01-2012, 09:57 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Landing a big fish isnt a plan A. I think he views the roster as pretty much set.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Right now I see.

Laich-Ribeiro-Ovechkin
Johansson-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Perreault-Ward/Crabb
Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb/Ward

Add in a somewhat major addition (top 6 winger(s)) and its not half bad.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:03 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Right now I see.

Laich-Ribeiro-Ovechkin
Johansson-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Perreault-Ward/Crabb
Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb/Ward

Add in a somewhat major addition (top 6 winger(s)) and its not half bad.
Brooks Laich should never ever ever be on the same line with Ovi unless it's a PP.
I've seen him hog the puck while Ovi was open way too many times.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Brooks Laich should never ever ever be on the same line with Ovi unless it's a PP.
I've seen him hog the puck while Ovi was open way too many times.
He, Backstrom and OV played together before and looked good. The problems occur when he's depended on to be the puck distributor, which he won't here.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:10 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
He, Backstrom and OV played together before and looked good. The problems occur when he's depended on to be the puck distributor, which he won't here.
That is true.....it did usually happen when Laich was centering Ovi......still not sure about Laich in the top 6 but then again , if there is help coming in the top 6 , he would be bumped.

Man, I can't help but be bothered by the fact Kuznetsov isn't in that top 6 !

Old
07-01-2012, 10:13 PM
dashtary*

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kostitsyn or (with Oates' philosophy) Kostitsyn-Backstrom-Ovechkin would be such a power-house line. Could see AK46 getting 25-30+ Goals & 100+ Hits. Not sure why, but I've always loved AK46's game when he's on, very underrated IMO.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:14 PM
HTFN

The irrational temper tantrums being thrown today are equal parts hilarious and infuriating.

And really? Sjogren? That's what we're upset about right now? Sjogren has shown nothing to indicate that he's even ready to be in the NHL, and you're drying tears from your face because Joey Crabb is "taking his spot" and "wasting money"? You guys (tmljeh, Carlzner) could really use some down time, because that's just getting ridiculous.

Seems like you can really tell the difference between the people who have been around the block and the fledgling Caps fans whose 3-4 year window of patience has run out. Just go find a new team, I'm sure Edmonton will be exciting soon.

EDIT: I mean, even for all its lumps, the roster as it stands is arguably in the top third of the league, and there's still salary to play with and guys on the board. Shut up and wait until camp before you pain yourself with those types of personnel decisions.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:15 PM
amjay13
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
The irrational temper tantrums being thrown today are equal parts hilarious and infuriating.

And really? Sjogren? That's what we're upset about right now? Sjogren has shown nothing to indicate that he's even ready to be in the NHL, and you're drying tears from your face because Joey Crabb is "taking his spot" and "wasting money"? You guys (tmljeh, Carlzner) could really use some down time, because that's just getting ridiculous.

Seems like you can really tell the difference between the people who have been around the block and the fledgling Caps fans whose 3-4 year window of patience has run out. Just go find a new team, I'm sure Edmonton will be exciting soon.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Amateur hour on this board today.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
FloridaCap
Beaglechuk Mania

vCash: 2833
Quote:
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kostitsyn or (with Oates' philosophy) Kostitsyn-Backstrom-Ovechkin would be such a power-house line. Could see AK46 getting 25-30+ Goals & 100+ Hits. Not sure why, but I've always loved AK46's game when he's on, very underrated IMO.
How do you know Oates likes lefties on the left and vice-versa?

I believe Kovalchuk played LW with Parise on the RW. (which was the HC's decision, anyway)

Just wondering.

Old
Carlzner

Quote:

You are completely mis-interpreting my point. Well done.

(Also, im definitely raging and sobbing tears over it, not just disliking it)

Old
tmljeh19

Quote:

Never said I didnt like the Crabb signing

And Im sure Ive been a fan longer then you have so blow me.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaCap View Post
How do you know Oates likes lefties on the left and vice-versa?

I believe Kovalchuk played LW with Parise on the RW. (which was the HC's decision, anyway)

Just wondering.
Mentioned regarding Stamkos-St.Louis and Oates' time in Tampa.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
hb11xchamps

While I can't comment on Crab's play in the AHL because of the Bears never playing the Chicago Wolves or the Marlies that I can remember, I can tell you that during Sjogren's time in Hershey he was pretty awful. Looked slow and just a big body on the ice. Reminded me of a Steckle that couldn't win a faceoff. It didn't help that Sjogren bashed Hershey and called it a "Podunk town" either

Old
07-01-2012, 10:18 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:

EDIT: I mean, even for all its lumps, the roster as it stands is arguably in the top third of the league, and there's still salary to play with and guys on the board. Shut up and wait until camp before you pain yourself with those types of personnel decisions.
Because I dont want it to be just the top third of the league. I want it to be cup capable and its surely not even close.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Carlzner

Sjogren is a physical center who can hit and play a big game.

We already have a Crabb in Hendricks.

Who is our 4th line Sjogren? Most teams have one. So do we. But apparently we need another Hendricks more..

Old
07-01-2012, 10:20 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Oh you didn't hear?

We're going to turn Jeff Schultz into a Power-Forward.

But, actually, if it's not coming in Free Agency it will have to come through trade(s) or the only other realistic option for an infusion of talent in the top-6 is Galiev.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:22 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Oh you didn't hear?

We're going to turn Jeff Schultz into a Power-Forward.

But, actually, if it's not coming in Free Agency it will have to come through trade(s) or the only other realistic option for an infusion of talent in the top-6 is Galiev.
Honestly who is available in a trade that wouldnt cost us someone that would open up another gaping hole?

Old
07-01-2012, 10:23 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I kinda doubt a coach whose philosophy is establishing and maintaining territory would be happy with the giveaways by that line.
What would the other options be though (that are/would be any better)?

Old
07-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Honestly who is available in a trade that wouldnt cost us someone that would open up another gaping hole?
Exactly.

Is the final piece.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:24 PM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Because I dont want it to be just the top third of the league. I want it to be cup capable and its surely not even close.
If you're in the top third of the league, you're cup capable.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:27 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
What would the other options be though (that are/would be any better)?
Parise, Doan, maybe Hudler of UFAs. (Maybe Jokinen if moving to the wing cuts down on his turnovers). Sykora, Selanne, or Sullivan might be worth it on a 1-year deal as well.

Various trade targets could be an improvement.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:28 PM
artilector

Well, Caps quiet, as expected.

As far as Crabb, looks like pretty decent value, probably a non-event overall. Caps have so much cap space, short-term a mil here or there is irrelevant..

I expect Caps will get sbdy like Kostitsyn or Huselius, probably McPhee wants to make sure it's a short deal..

Not convinced the Caps see a need for D upgrade.. so probably will end up way under the cap. Maybe they'll get somebody that gets left behind a la Vokoun last year..

Old
07-01-2012, 10:29 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Exactly.

Is the final piece.
That's what I've been hoping ever since Ribeiro. I've always been for getting a solid 2C for Semin, and now that it has happened he may leave.

Closed Thread