HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

vCash: 500
After breaking my go-to stick, I switched back to the P08 curve I had. It was uncut and I had been using a longer stick so I added about an 1.5" to it. I have never been able to stickhandle as well as I did today with it at pickup. I came from a sakic clone which I worked to improve my dangles and one v. one moves. Today I was splitting D left and right and being able to go around and through D as I pleased. Only thing was getting re-calibrated shooting wise and I have to find that sweet spot on the backhand again.

It was nice to see improvements made based on working on things and trusting abilities enough to try new moves to open up space or get by defenders and having it work consistently. Always work to improve the game in some way because sometimes you'll surprise yourself.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Splitbtw
Free Torres!

Also, not really a beer league vent but more a pickup vent. I really dislike the guys that refuse to get beat and elect to just take players out left and right in order to save face. After getting taken down for a third time, a guy didn't understand why I didn't have any patience for his antics and found his 'apology' empty. He didn't really take it well when I told him it was unnecessary and if he is going to get beat, to just get beat rather than pull that ish over and over. Pickup tough guys are worse than the beer league ones.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:19 AM
izzy3

... got my first game misconduct since I play.

This lil SOB promised me in a pickup game, that the next time he refs our game I'll get at least 2 minutes (he sucks as a player, and I was frustrating the hell out of him).

Sure enough, he started to yell at me for ridiculous "faults" right after the puck dropped. I told him if it was a fault he should send me in the box or shut up. He didn't do it of course, I play with a lot of respect, I seldom get a penalty.

The game was almost finished, we were 0:2 down, thanks partly for him (he called icing, when we were in PK LOL), and after a stoppage I happened to collide with one of the guys from the other team. Even if I was smaller than him, he went down, and this ******* started to yell like a maniac, that I am a liability on the ice. I told him to tone it down (OK, my face might have been 1 inch from his face). Got a misconduct and might get some other problems, but oh well.

Refs have to respect the players too.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Think I figured out a solution to my sore hamstrings from workouts, and that's to do both KB swings and squats on the same day, then upper body and core on alternate days.

Idea for my workout now:

Mon, Thu - 15-20 minutes of alternating KB swings and air squats, 30:30 work to rest, maybe finish with a wall sit

Tue, Fri - 15-20 minutes of upper body push, pull, shoulders, and finish with plank and crunches

Essentially it's like a better version of the old Power 90 workout.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also, best news ever:

There's a park literally at the end of my block and I saw them putting up the boards today. That means I'll be less than a five minute WALK from outdoor ice.

Old
12-14-2012, 01:32 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Today I... ate an egg sandwich. Then I sat around feeling fat. Now I'm going to the gym to do something about it.

Monday, however, I finally hit my goal of completing 3x8 225lb incline bench press (3 sets/8 reps each). Took a long time and for the past few weeks I was doing 5x3 at 225-245 to build up the strength but now that I've achieved it, I feel like it will be a bit easier to maintain it and keep moving forward. I had seriously plateaued for a while.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:02 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Also, best news ever:

There's a park literally at the end of my block and I saw them putting up the boards today. That means I'll be less than a five minute WALK from outdoor ice.
I hate you.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:19 PM
cowboy82nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I hate you.
+ 2.

The closest rink to me, is at least an hour away (sometimes two hours depending on traffic).

Old
12-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

There are two indoor rinks within a mile of my house

Old
12-14-2012, 03:27 PM
cowboy82nd

Quote:
There are two indoor rinks within a mile of my house
That must be nice. I've talked to the Manager at the Ice Forum (where the Atlanta Thrashers use to practise) about opening up a rink down south where I live and he said they might be interested. Here's hoping.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Stickmata

Skated for the first time in two months and decided, after a couple of cortizone injections, not to quit the game just yet.

Old
12-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Shanahanigans

There are at least 7 outdoor rinks within a 5 minute drive from my place (Edmonton)

Old
12-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

You guys are crazy, I live in Virginia and the closest rink is an hour away. I've got a roller rink within 10 miles, but that doesn't do it for me.

Plus the only outdoor rink is the Chevy Chase Club where the Capitals practiced in HBO 24/7. That is also like 3 hours away.

Old
12-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Also, best news ever:

I'm currently in a city in Taiwan called Pingtung.

The temperature here has never dropped past 15'C and it currently feels like summer in Vancouver right now.

And there's not a single ice rink here.

I hate you.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:38 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Today I saw one of the worst events of my lifetime unfold. While I wasn't there, to imagine such a tragedy could occur is shocking.

We must all come together through prayer and reach out to these persons. I'm not going to argue politics or gun control here, today, but we need to stop these issues from happening while not hurting self-defense.

RIP to everyone in Connecticut who died today, 20 children and 6 adults killed.

Much bigger than hockey.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:45 PM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Today I saw one of the worst events of my lifetime unfold. While I wasn't there, to imagine such a tragedy could occur is shocking.

We must all come together through prayer and reach out to these persons. I'm not going to argue politics or gun control here, today, but we need to stop these issues from happening while not hurting self-defense.

RIP to everyone in Connecticut who died today, 20 children and 6 adults killed.

Much bigger than hockey.
Way to be that guy. I come here to get away from real world BS.

Old
12-14-2012, 10:52 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantOwl View Post
Way to be that guy. I come here to get away from real world BS.
Ignoring something doesn't make it go away. I just thought it'd be nice if we ever look back at this thread when these boards are long and gone that we had a reminder of this.

If you want something hockey related:

I found out my shin guards suck today, I decided not to buy a Wayne Gretzky Indianapolis Racers jersey which was only $130.

Old
12-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Woke up with a cold. I have a game later today, let's hope this Sudafed kicks in in time.

Old
12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The 30:30 KB swings and air squats was one of the toughest workouts I've ever done. Lungs were on fire and couldn't stop coughing for about 10 minutes and then insane soreness.

But today legs are 80% or better and should be fine for tomorrow's game.

Amazing how in 15 minutes with a 25 pound weight I killed my legs more than I did with heavy squats and deadlifts.

Old
12-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Just got back from the local used sports gear store.

Found a Bauer Vapor 6.0 stick for 75 bucks. Brand new ones run about 150 from Total Hockey.

I skipped out on it. Don't ask me why. It was a great curve and lie and everything. I am just iffy buying sticks sometimes. Now off to college work.

Old
12-15-2012, 07:05 PM
rk5n

Put in ~5 hours to level off half of the ground at my soon to be ice rink.
Yesterday we used the backhoe to get the grade down and today we used a 16' straightedge pushed by hand to get half of it to within 1" of level. Snow is due tomorrow so I don't know when we'll be able to level the other half.
Completed size will be 76x35'

Old
12-16-2012, 07:31 PM
PaperworkNinja

I finally got crossovers right. Iron Crosses are pretty difficult.

Old
12-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperworkNinja View Post
I finally got crossovers right. Iron Crosses are pretty difficult.
Yeah, iron crosses make me feel two things: Like I suck at skating... and like I'm going to have a heart-attack lol. They're awesome.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Hooah4

Quote:
The 30:30 KB swings and air squats was one of the toughest workouts I've ever done. Lungs were on fire and couldn't stop coughing for about 10 minutes and then insane soreness.

But today legs are 80% or better and should be fine for tomorrow's game.

Amazing how in 15 minutes with a 25 pound weight I killed my legs more than I did with heavy squats and deadlifts.
try ZMA for recovery...helps with the soreness a bit, plus recovery the next day is better IMO.
My son and I take it every night after a game as well.

By air squats do you mean bodyweight/hindu squats? I always alternate squats/kb during my routines.

Old
12-17-2012, 09:09 AM
TLow97

2nd win of the year Saturday, scored my first goal of the year!

Closed Thread