HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooah4 View Post
try ZMA for recovery...helps with the soreness a bit, plus recovery the next day is better IMO.
My son and I take it every night after a game as well.

By air squats do you mean bodyweight/hindu squats? I always alternate squats/kb during my routines.
I am going to try and see a doctor this week. I've had a cough that comes up after I eat and/or do any physical activity for about nine months. I get that I'm a little overweight and I have coughed during/after hockey for five years but it's gotten worse and there has to be something that's causing it. I'm the only person I've seen who coughs severely for several minutes after any physical activity to the point of getting light headed and nearly puking.

Yes it's bodyweight squats.

Still trying to figure out the upper body workout. Will play around with more exercises this week.

Hockey last night...I had about 5 shots on goal, 5 missed shots, and 4 shots that I tipped from the point on goal. Nothing. We lost 4-0. This sucks. I've gotten 27 shots on goal this year with nothing to show for it. With my lifetime shooting average, I should have 3-4 goals by now.

Old
12-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Miss Misery

vCash: 100
Today, my forearms and wrists are sore as hell...

... from reffing 3 games. I don't get it. What would cause that from reffing?

Old
12-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Went to the doc today to get my cough checked out, did x-rays and lung tests, everything came back tip top. Think it might be a combination of sports asthma, acid reflux, and me being fat. So we'll see how that goes.

Old
12-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Hooah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Went to the doc today to get my cough checked out, did x-rays and lung tests, everything came back tip top. Think it might be a combination of sports asthma, acid reflux, and me being fat. So we'll see how that goes.
sometimes the reflux can irritate the airways. I was going to say reactive airway disease based upon your symptoms but this is a message board not a medical forum. the only way to be sure it's exercise induced asthma is to get a bronchial provocation test (can be done with methycholine or cold air inhalation). The weight thing never helps either.
I've been getting similar symptoms during exercise so I got a full physical as well. Take my inhaler 30 minutes before exercise/ice time and it helps.

Old
12-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Ozz

Last night I played while feeling sick as a dog. I have an awful cough and it's killed my lung capacity so much that warmups felt brutal. Normally that would have been one thing but it was our playoffs, and all games for all teams were done that night. I cut my shifts short and didn't make myself a liability (thankfully), and I did put in 1 of our 3 goals in our losing semi-finals game. I can't help but think that if I were healthy it would have been a different story, though.

Hopefully I'm better for our playoffs on Sunday for our other league.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Thinking about getting an indoor bike trainer to ride my bike some in the winter. I got the bike last summer and rode maybe a dozen times. Anyone use one?

Old
12-20-2012, 03:26 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Thinking about getting an indoor bike trainer to ride my bike some in the winter. I got the bike last summer and rode maybe a dozen times. Anyone use one?
I used one in my old apartment, but have no room for it in my new one. I basically did a comfortable 5 minutes warmup then the normal tabata protocol (20/10, 8 rounds), then 5 mins cool down.

Kills legs and should improve anaerob capacity (you tend to die after 5-6 rounds lol), but tbh I actually feel fitter on the ice if I do my tabata workouts with kettlebell snatches.

Old
12-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gotcha. I might just keep with the KB's and bodyweight stuff and add in some jump rope for more cardio. But soon we'll have outdoor ice...

I've hit the point where my legs are fine with 20 minutes of KB swings and squats, but my lungs still aren't. At all. Actually my grip started to give out last night. I tried to push from 15 minutes up to 20 and went back from 20:40 seconds of work:rest up to 30:30. Didn't quite hit "failure".

I do feel like I'm getting a little stronger and improving my muscular endurance though. My back isn't and hasn't bothered me hardly at all, which was a little nagging early on (doing heavy back squats hurt so bad I had to quit).

I also just started the "rotisserie" core workout before my "upper body" days. That actually is pretty good/tough. Front plank, side plank, crunches, other side plank, and superman. I've got a pretty weak core so that should help.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:04 AM
izzy3

Sounds like a plan.

One thing where a bike can't help you is battling by the boards. Good, hard, explosive kettlebell training will help you there bigtime, since you're training the complete posterior chain, throwing weight around.

Also, the deep back muscles benefit from swings and snatched as you also realized, and they're key in every sport, especially in ours.

Old
12-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've always been one of the strongest guys on the ice (we play a low level so it's not that difficult), especially being 5'7 and heavy with a low center of gravity.

It's the lack of endurance and conditioning that holds me back really. I get winded and tired quickly and then struggle to keep up the rest of the game.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
TLow97

3rd W in a row last night!

From what I hear, the county will start flooding rinks after the 26th... can't wait so I can work on my game for free.

Old
12-20-2012, 03:34 PM
ArrogantOwl

I keep coming back to see if MPF kicked that kid's ass.

Old
12-20-2012, 06:49 PM
windycity

we won our league final 2-1, our line was +2, I got the 1st goal and prevented a sure goal with like 30 seconds left. So for a change I didnt' suck. Super fun, 1st time I've won anything since I was kid (rec soccer teams over the years always finished 2nd at best) and even if it's a D level league it felt great. Team we played 1st finshed in regular season and had beat us 3 out of 3 in regular season. Great bunch of guys I play with. Hockey rules.

Old
12-20-2012, 07:33 PM
SCBruCrew4

I went to a pick-up skate for 2 hours and it only cost me $5. Great group of guys there with a wide variety of skill. No goalies so we put the nets down and shot at the crossbar netting. Couple highlights, I made a perfect saucer pass to my right winger in the crease over the defenders stick and my RW tipped it in off the pass. Probably my best pass ever. Perfect sauce lol

Next was my personal highlight, I was coming down the right boards and after I get in the attacking zone the best player on the ice comes to defend me. I skated hard and fast and when he was just in reach of the puck I slammed on the brakes and did a spin move. In the process of that, I stopped so hard that he attacked the puck and completely was caught off guard by my spin move that he missed and I skated by him and netted the goal. He gave me a smirk as I skated past him and told me I made him look foolish lol. Good day overall and although there was no goalies we still had a great time.

Old
12-21-2012, 03:12 AM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Today my team lost in our championship game, 4-3 in a shootout. Bummer.

Old
12-21-2012, 08:23 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Today my team lost in our championship game, 4-3 in a shootout. Bummer.
shootouts blow generally but especially to settle a championship game. Thankfully our league has overtime for the playoffs. But understand the rink time etc constraints

Old
12-21-2012, 08:24 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLow97 View Post
3rd W in a row last night!

From what I hear, the county will start flooding rinks after the 26th... can't wait so I can work on my game for free.
Seems late for Minny, is that getting pushed out each year?

Old
12-21-2012, 08:30 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Seems late for Minny, is that getting pushed out each year?
A couple weeks ago temps were upper 30s and probably lower 40s if I remember correctly... We just had snow stick last week. Seems quite a bit later than when I remember as a kid.

Old
12-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We've had some warm winters lately, didn't even freeze last year really.

They need to ground to freeze before they can flood and that hasn't happened yet. They should start soon though as it was 8 degrees out this morning and shouldn't warm up for a while.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Game tonight.

Switching to white tape to break the slump.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:51 PM
windycity

Quote:
Game tonight.

Switching to white tape to break the slump.
Did it work?

Old
12-21-2012, 11:40 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Well, we didn't all die today. I guess that's a plus.

Going to Total Hockey possibly tommorow in Rockville, Maryland. Knowing their custom support I expect to wander around in the store for hours. Sigh..

Old
12-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not quite, but I had my best game in probably six months.

Felt like the workouts were paying off. I had more energy and was quicker up and down the ice. We were playing the best team in the division (i.e. they have the most ringers, one of whom has 3 points per game) and skated with them for the most part.

I also had my first positive +/- game of the year, even though we lost 6-1.

Cut the stick down 3/4" which actually felt a bit too light and short but my shots came off hard when I adjusted. I stung the goalies glove hand really bad in warmups (ugh). Shots were much better but I had THREE pipes tonight. Did get the assist on the goal and enjoyed playing with my (very fast) linemates.

Cool thing tonight was that the motor was just going and going, I was reading plays and getting in passing lanes better than I ever have, actually was able to sneak in and steal a lot of pucks and kept a lot of pressure on the other team. We really should have had more goals, it was ridiculous our puck luck.

Also broke up two plays on the backcheck...one was a 2-on-0 that I somehow caught up with the guy and dove and got the puck off his stick and into the corner to break up the play. The other the guy was racing down for a breakaway and not only did I catch him but power turned back up the ice and deked into the zone.

Really just a great game which I needed this year to get the confidence back.

So yeah...white tape

Also I gave my kid his skates and he loves them. They are a hair big but have enough support that he could stand by himself right away on a rug, touch his head, touch his knees, etc. He's got a lot of confidence for being so young and is excited to get on the ice tomorrow!

Old
12-21-2012, 11:54 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

This evening I played outside hockey on the frozen pond/creek thing in the snow. :>

Old
12-22-2012, 12:18 AM
AIREAYE

Hope those skates work for him Jarick!

Closed Thread